PDA

View Full Version : What are the real "positions" of the modern game?

Baller234
11-27-2023, 11:48 AM
"Guard" and "forward" are basically meaningless labels now. We only continue to use them because we inherited them.

Look at Jokic. People classify him as a "center" because of his height but in reality he's also running point. The old rigid definitions of center and guard don't really apply to him, so calling him just a center is actually doing him a disservice.

Outside of a team's star player and primary focus, mostly everyone on else on the team has the exact same job. When you watch the Mavs for example, it's Luka and then everyone else. He is playing a totally different game than the rest of his team. Same goes for guys like Jokic and Giannis.

I think it's high time we got rid of the old labels and invented new ones that actually apply to what we're seeing. This way we can stop arguing if Curry is the greatest point guard ever or whatever and end these frivolous debates. I don't care what they're listed as, Curry and Magic did not play the same position.

90sgoat
11-27-2023, 11:53 AM
PnR ball handler
PnR roller
Corner shooter

FultzNationRISE
11-27-2023, 12:04 PM
Youve got the conductor. Hes the maestro who sets it up and makes the plays for others.

Youve got the weapon. The guy who scores in bunches to add an extra dimension.

Youve got the tires. The players who are spread out to provide stability and help keep the thing movin.

But the ideal team will have multiple guys who can fill multiple roles

FultzNationRISE
11-27-2023, 12:07 PM
Oh, and then theres the useless shitbirds. This is a special designation specifically for Lebron’s teammates.

theman93
11-27-2023, 12:18 PM
I don't see it that way necessarily. "Wing" is already a simile for SG/SF/PF who aren't primary ball handlers. But PF is still necessary for players like KAT and Horford who don't really handle the ball but aren't centers, and SG is still necessary for players like Booker and Mitchell who handle the ball often but aren't point guards.

Kblaze8855
11-27-2023, 12:19 PM
I’ve heard players on multiple teams refer to the dunker position. It’s probably commonly used among players. Pretty much just the guy who will never get the ball to do anything but finish. Not always a big either. I’ve heard Andre Iguodala say on his podcast he could play the dunker role at the end of his career.

FultzNationRISE
11-27-2023, 12:38 PM
I’ve heard players on multiple teams refer to the dunker position. It’s probably commonly used among players. Pretty much just the guy who will never get the ball to do anything but finish. Not always a big either. I’ve heard Andre Iguodala say on his podcast he could play the dunker role at the end of his career.

Best example right now: Bruce Brown

It’s actually a shame he doesnt play on a high profile team anymore. The guys dunks are VICIOUS.

He’s got the springs of Morant and throws it down with the authority of a “prime” Stromile Swift (if its fair to categorize any part of Stromile Swift’s career as prime).

Xiao Yao You
11-27-2023, 12:44 PM
I don't see it that way necessarily. "Wing" is already a simile for SG/SF/PF who aren't primary ball handlers. But PF is still necessary for players like KAT and Horford who don't really handle the ball but aren't centers, and SG is still necessary for players like Booker and Mitchell who handle the ball often but aren't point guards.

there's still bigs, wings and guards basically

theman93
11-27-2023, 12:53 PM

Pretty much. I think we're already at that point of labeling players one of those three designations though.

Xiao Yao You
11-27-2023, 12:55 PM
there's exceptions that can't be put in that box but most do and but it can change depending on what side of the floor they're playing too

FultzNationRISE
11-27-2023, 12:57 PM

And 1 guy who can play all three ;)

Xiao Yao You
11-27-2023, 01:09 PM
And 1 guy who can play all three ;)

at one end anyway

WhiteKyrie
11-27-2023, 01:17 PM
I agree, it started with the combo guard in the early 2000s, I don’t classify Allen Iverson as a point guard or a shooting guard. Same went for Stephon Marbury. And then it escalated at the small forward position with Grant Hill, and then LeBron James, and then Kevin Durant is basically a 7 foot shooting guard. Giannis is a modern interpretation of a center. It’s positionless basketball now. Someone will play one way offensively and an entirely different position defensively, and really who you guard is your actual position traditionally

Xiao Yao You
11-27-2023, 03:19 PM
I agree, it started with the combo guard in the early 2000s, I don’t classify Allen Iverson as a point guard or a shooting guard. Same went for Stephon Marbury. And then it escalated at the small forward position with Grant Hill, and then LeBron James, and then Kevin Durant is basically a 7 foot shooting guard. Giannis is a modern interpretation of a center. It’s positionless basketball now. Someone will play one way offensively and an entirely different position defensively, and really who you guard is your actual position traditionally

except you don't just guard one guy with all the switching

WhiteKyrie
11-27-2023, 03:38 PM
except you don't just guard one guy with all the switching
Some players can’t switch still

ILLsmak
11-27-2023, 05:06 PM
handler, picker, spacer.

-Smak

Baller234
11-27-2023, 08:09 PM

What's the difference between a wing and a guard?

And what do you a call a big who plays like a wing?

Xiao Yao You
11-27-2023, 08:12 PM
What's the difference between a wing and a guard?

And what do you a call a big who plays like a wing?

I said there were exceptions. Guards are smaller and handle the ball. Wings are bigger and spot up

iamgine
11-27-2023, 10:41 PM
"Guard" and "forward" are basically meaningless labels now. We only continue to use them because we inherited them.

Look at Jokic. People classify him as a "center" because of his height but in reality he's also running point. The old rigid definitions of center and guard don't really apply to him, so calling him just a center is actually doing him a disservice.

Outside of a team's star player and primary focus, mostly everyone on else on the team has the exact same job. When you watch the Mavs for example, it's Luka and then everyone else. He is playing a totally different game than the rest of his team. Same goes for guys like Jokic and Giannis.

I think it's high time we got rid of the old labels and invented new ones that actually apply to what we're seeing. This way we can stop arguing if Curry is the greatest point guard ever or whatever and end these frivolous debates. I don't care what they're listed as, Curry and Magic did not play the same position.

It's nothing new. Derek Fisher mostly just brings the ball up. Is that...a point guard? He's playing a totally different game than say...John Stockton.

Full Court
11-27-2023, 10:44 PM
Don't forget about this position:

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fnesn.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2Fsites%2F5%2F2023%2F01%2FLeBron _James4.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=3dcb595b90745baf887029472e4da712d5dca22fb6099a 52230383af9952e040&ipo=images

:lol

Jasper
11-28-2023, 11:10 AM
1-pg
2-sg
3-sf
4-pf
5 c

/