PDA

View Full Version : LeBron's long time friend and manager Maverick Carter was illegally betting on games

Baller234
12-01-2023, 12:52 PM
NEW YORK TIMES: Maverick Carter told feds he used illegal bookie to bet thousands on NBA (https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2023/11/30/maverick-carter-bet-nba-games/)

Long story a short, feds were investigating an illegal offshore betting ring and Maverick Carter turned out to be a client. He admitted that he was betting on NBA games but says he "could not remember" betting on any Laker games.

Yikes.

REAL bad look for the king.

Wardell Curry
12-01-2023, 01:19 PM
It always amazes me how people can be worth millions of dollars and still unable to resist shitting where they eat.

FultzNationRISE
12-01-2023, 01:24 PM
Non story here, mods I want this locked up NOW.

warriorfan
12-01-2023, 01:30 PM
It always amazes me how people can be worth millions of dollars and still unable to resist shitting where they eat.

these are the dudes that thought airing “the decision” on espn was a good idea :lol

Kblaze8855
12-01-2023, 01:46 PM
I would literally bet my life that Michael Jordan has bet on basketball. Barkley too. Probably bird and magic. All the super competitive guys we have seen gambling. Not betting on sports is one of the things I never thought it was realistic to expect out of athletes. Everybody bets on sports. But you won’t bet on yours? Naaaaah. I would be completely shocked if guys like Jordan and Kobe weren’t betting they could give some guy 40. Hell I remember hearing that Kobe mid game offering Gerald Wallace a $500,000 bet he could make an eyes closed free-throw. You think it doesn’t happen away from cameras?

Everyones betting. A few infamous incidents just get blown up and make them all look like crooks so leagues have to pretend to crack down and pretend they don’t know.

warriorfan
12-01-2023, 01:54 PM
I would literally bet my life that Michael Jordan has bet on basketball. Barkley too. Probably bird and magic. All the super competitive guys we have seen gambling. Not betting on sports is one of the things I never thought it was realistic to expect out of athletes. Everybody bets on sports. But you won’t bet on yours? Naaaaah. I would be completely shocked if guys like Jordan and Kobe weren’t betting they could give some guy 40. Hell I remember hearing that Kobe mid game offering Gerald Wallace a $500,000 bet he could make an eyes closed free-throw. You think it doesn’t happen away from cameras?

Everyones betting. A few infamous incidents just get blown up and make them all look like crooks so leagues have to pretend to crack down and pretend they don’t know.

Yeah. I would say LeBron never bet on a game. He seems like the guy who would be scared and then ask one of his handlers if he should do it or not.

Patrick Chewing
12-01-2023, 01:58 PM
No doubt Lebron was involved and bet on games himself. He should be arrested and all his accolades and records erased.

Kblaze8855
12-01-2023, 01:59 PM
Thought about him for a second and decided he’s probably too cheap. This is a billionaire who doesn’t have premium Spotify or YouTube. He’s out here watching ads when he makes like $200,000 an hour. You see him placing a bet he can’t control the outcome of?

Though on the other hand, maybe that just makes him likely to place a bet and throw the game or intentionally not hit his over. I could see LeBron cheating to win a bet before I could see him placing one that was outside his control and having to handover a serious amount of cash.

warriorfan
12-01-2023, 02:08 PM
No doubt Lebron was involved and bet on games himself. He should be arrested and all his accolades and records erased.

no he never bet on anything he’s too scared too

dazzer87
12-01-2023, 02:10 PM
Another retard member of the POSSE…….:roll:

tpols
12-01-2023, 02:15 PM

So you're saying Pete rose got screwed.

Honestly betting on yourself to win shouldn't b a big deal. Betting on yourself to lose and throwing it should be though.

warriorfan
12-01-2023, 02:17 PM
Maybe this explains 2011…

Xiao Yao You
12-01-2023, 02:18 PM
So you're saying Pete rose got screwed.

Honestly betting on yourself to win shouldn't b a big deal. Betting on yourself to lose and throwing it should be though.

rather Rose bet on his team to win or not there are odds that are going to effect how you manage a game.

tpols
12-01-2023, 02:23 PM
rather Rose bet on his team to win or not there are odds that are going to effect how you manage a game.

Honestly with the corruption billionaires and politicians engage in its totally hypocritical to crucify guys for paltry bets. Even a couple hundred grand is a drop in the bucket compared to what those guys steal.

Wardell Curry
12-01-2023, 02:24 PM
these are the dudes that thought airing “the decision” on espn was a good idea :lol

https://media3.giphy.com/media/v1.Y2lkPTc5MGI3NjExbjRuM2ZkYWFwazg3enF2ZjZlbHZmdTZ wZHluNHh4NGQ0aTQyOTAzMyZlcD12MV9pbnRlcm5hbF9naWZfY nlfaWQmY3Q9Zw/d6rGZmTP9ESis/giphy.gif

RRR3
12-01-2023, 03:35 PM
Who cares lol America is so sanctimonious.

Kblaze8855
12-01-2023, 03:46 PM
I wouldn’t Say Rose got screwed exactly, but I will say, if leagues actually cared as much as they pretend he wouldn’t be the only big name who comes up in these things.

And fundamentally I understand having rules against it, but mostly because of the illegal nature. In most places, all sports betting is illegal. Or at least it used to be. Meaning if you’re placing a bet, it’s not online from some reputable business that gets your money in advance. it’s someone running an illegal operation who might have to employ even more illegal means to make sure he gets his money.

so if you owe some guy loosely affiliated with the mob $30,000 and he tells you to keep it but make sure your team comes in under next game and youre even? Yeah you can’t have that. So I get why you have to have rules they just aren’t easy to enforce. May not even be possible.

there are states where all sports gambling is illegal. I believe in Texas it’s illegal to have an office pool. But how many tens of millions of people are placing bets among their friends? It’s an unenforceable law. And then you have all these rich bored ultra competitors who are passionate about what they do and spend bus and plane rides playing cards?

Of course they gamble. And of course the gambling goes into things they’re passionate about. The league has to balance banning people, and giving the appearance there is zero tolerance.

It’s tough but there are both legal and business reasons they have to try. They just aren’t gonna try too hard.

FireDavidKahn
12-01-2023, 07:22 PM
NEW YORK TIMES: Maverick Carter told feds he used illegal bookie to bet thousands on NBA (https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2023/11/30/maverick-carter-bet-nba-games/)

Long story a short, feds were investigating an illegal offshore betting ring and Maverick Carter turned out to be a client. He admitted that he was betting on NBA games but says he "could not remember" betting on any Laker games.

Yikes.

REAL bad look for the king.

WHat does this have to do with LeBron?

Baller234
12-02-2023, 12:56 AM
WHat does this have to do with LeBron?

Uh, the guy is Lebron's manager and he's betting on Laker games. As far as wagering is concerned, this is the equivalent of insider trading.

We also have no idea what he was betting on. Was he betting on sides? Was he betting on player props? Was he betting on LEBRON player props? Was Lebron aware? Was Lebron or anyone else on the team doing him in favors during the game? There's no way to know. This opens up a huge can of worms.

There's a reason he was betting using an offshore account. Obviously he didn't want any of this traced back to him. The implications could be endless. Lebron absolutely needs to clear the air and separate himself from this ASAP.

RRR3
12-02-2023, 01:34 AM
Uh, the guy is Lebron's manager and he's betting on Laker games. As far as wagering is concerned, this is the equivalent of insider trading.

We also have no idea what he was betting on. Was he betting on sides? Was he betting on player props? Was he betting on LEBRON player props? Was Lebron aware? Was Lebron or anyone else on the team doing him in favors during the game? There's no way to know. This opens up a huge can of worms.

There's a reason he was betting using an offshore account. Obviously he didn't want any of this traced back to him. The implications could be endless. Lebron absolutely needs to clear the air and separate himself from this ASAP.
Lol look who suddenly cares about the legal system.

Axe
12-02-2023, 04:01 AM

https://media.tenor.com/hSPxSvMyjf8AAAAC/gay-scream.gif

Overdrive
12-02-2023, 06:13 AM
I wouldn’t Say Rose got screwed exactly, but I will say, if leagues actually cared as much as they pretend he wouldn’t be the only big name who comes up in these things.

And fundamentally I understand having rules against it, but mostly because of the illegal nature. In most places, all sports betting is illegal. Or at least it used to be. Meaning if you’re placing a bet, it’s not online from some reputable business that gets your money in advance. it’s someone running an illegal operation who might have to employ even more illegal means to make sure he gets his money.

so if you owe some guy loosely affiliated with the mob $30,000 and he tells you to keep it but make sure your team comes in under next game and youre even? Yeah you can’t have that. So I get why you have to have rules they just aren’t easy to enforce. May not even be possible.

there are states where all sports gambling is illegal. I believe in Texas it’s illegal to have an office pool. But how many tens of millions of people are placing bets among their friends? It’s an unenforceable law. And then you have all these rich bored ultra competitors who are passionate about what they do and spend bus and plane rides playing cards?

Of course they gamble. And of course the gambling goes into things they’re passionate about. The league has to balance banning people, and giving the appearance there is zero tolerance.

It’s tough but there are both legal and business reasons they have to try. They just aren’t gonna try too hard.

Yeah, no, not really. Sportsbetting is totally legal here and if some cöub footballer gets caught his career is done.

The problem is not the illegal nature, but the manipulation of game outcomes if you place a bet on them.

Leagues could say it's ok if you bet on yourself to win. But you can't controll the nature of the bet a player places beforehand. They just go to a betting cafe, place their bets there and that's it. So players betting in general is not allowed.

ImKobe
12-02-2023, 07:24 AM
Makes sense now why Bran always forces himself to play in blowouts in 4th quarters.. shameless.

Kblaze8855
12-02-2023, 07:55 AM
Yeah, no, not really. Sportsbetting is totally legal here and if some cöub footballer gets caught his career is done.

The problem is not the illegal nature, but the manipulation of game outcomes if you place a bet on them.

Leagues could say it's ok if you bet on yourself to win. But you can't controll the nature of the bet a player places beforehand. They just go to a betting cafe, place their bets there and that's it. So players betting in general is not allowed.

Why I said there are both legal and business reasons. It’s legal to gamble on sports in much of America now. But the same issues exist when it’s players. They have to at least pretend to put a stop to it.

Baller234
12-02-2023, 09:51 AM
I see that the Bron stans are trying to turn this into a discussion about the 'legality' and 'morality' of sports betting.

Everyone here bets on games guys. That's really not the issue at hand.