PDA

View Full Version : Shooting Jesse James doesn’t necessarily make you Jesse James.

Kblaze8855
12-01-2023, 01:07 PM
https://youtu.be/pyHEj4HMjKw?si=yrXcDuIE1pweQmBD

As explained by top 5 ancillary TV character of all time Mike from breaking bad.

It’s often said(without people knowing it’s a Ric Flair quote) that to be the man you have to beat the man. But that doesn’t necessarily mean that everyone who beats the man….are themselves…the man.

Give me some examples that come to mind. I don’t just mean when the best player loses a game or a series to inferior players. I mean when the player you steadfastly believe to be superior gets outplayed and defeated. They aren’t balling and just lose because the other team is better.

I want the situations where you firmly believe the guy who got his ass kicked was still better and you had to sound like a salty bitch still supporting him being better than the other guy. That’s a tough one isn’t it? Right after your guy gets his ass kicked and you don’t want to capitulate? All you really have is “Yea well….whatever”.

give me the most prominent examples that are in your head right now. Of players in the league now the first one that comes to mind is probably LeBron in 2011, but quite a few people actually did decide Dirk was briefly Jesse James so it may not apply.

Who most annoyed you by defeating your guy straight up playing better, but you still didn’t want to bend the knee and acknowledge they were now the man?

Who is Walt to your boy Gus Fring?

RRR3
12-01-2023, 01:19 PM

As explained by top 5 ancillary TV character of all time Mike from breaking bad.

It’s often said(without people knowing it’s a Ric Flair quote) that to be the man you have to beat the man. But that doesn’t necessarily mean that everyone who beats the man….are themselves…the man.

Give me some examples that come to mind. I don’t just mean when the best player loses a game or a series to inferior players. I mean when the player you steadfastly believe to be superior gets outplayed and defeated. They aren’t balling and just lose because the other team is better.

I want the situations where you firmly believe the guy who got his ass kicked was still better and you had to sound like a salty bitch still supporting him being better than the other guy. That’s a tough one isn’t it? Right after your guy gets his ass kicked and you don’t want to capitulate? All you really have is “Yea well….whatever”.

give me the most prominent examples that are in your head right now. Of players in the league now the first one that comes to mind is probably LeBron in 2011, but quite a few people actually did decide Dirk was briefly Jesse James so it may not apply.

Who most annoyed you by defeating your guy straight up playing better, but you still didn’t want to bend the knee and acknowledge they were now the man?

Anyone who seriously thought Dirk was ever better than LeBron James would have to explain why it continues to be such a huge deal LeBron lost over a decade later if that were the case. Mike's quote applies 100% there.

FultzNationRISE
12-01-2023, 01:21 PM
Well the whole 2011 debacle where Terry and Barea beat up on Wade, and everyone thought that was some big deal.

But the thing is, Wade wasnt really the man. He and Spo simply conspired to create that illusion, and it backfired tremendously. Lebron was the man all along and I will kick anyones ass who says differently.

Anyway I forget what my original point was but this thread BETTER BE RESPECTFUL OF BRON :mad:

Kblaze8855
12-01-2023, 01:40 PM
There were people who had Dirk as the best player in the NBA after the 2011 playoffs. In fact, I remember a few months later when the next 2K came out people on here complaining that dirk wasn’t the highest rated even though he was like a 99 in all the things he should be and was unstoppable in that game. They just wanted the ratings rigged somehow so he would be higher than a 97 which is what I think LeBron, and maybe Kobe were.

I just remember arguing about how they were supposed to make him rated higher when he was a 99 midrange and high in other shooting numbers but had lower overall ratings because he should.

There was definitely a contingent arguing Dirk was in fact “The man” at the time.

Charlie Sheen
12-01-2023, 01:46 PM
The over correction to how people felt about Paul Pierce after that FMVP.

Full Court
12-01-2023, 02:12 PM
Anyone who seriously thought Dirk was ever better than LeBron James would have to explain why it continues to be such a huge deal LeBron lost over a decade later if that were the case. Mike's quote applies 100% there.

Check this out:

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?465691-Dirk-or-LeBron-all-time

:roll:

Nice try.

Wardell Curry
12-01-2023, 02:21 PM
As far as the NBA goes? Bill Russell's Celtics losing to Wilt's 76ers in 1967 is the closet thing we've got. If all we're looking at is winning, Bill Russell is the only guy that deserves to be mentioned as Jesse James.

But this is silly anyways because the best team usually wins, not the best player. The league has more years where the best player didn't win the title than years where he did win the title. If you think otherwise, it's only because you were influenced by the outcome of the playoffs, rather than looking at the season in total.

SouBeachTalents
12-01-2023, 02:23 PM
Season 5 of Breaking Bad just might be the greatest television season I’ve ever seen, just masterpiece after masterpiece episode, with an endless amount of great scenes like this.

The Wire Season 4 would be a close 2nd.

Xiao Yao You
12-01-2023, 02:46 PM
Season 5 of Breaking Bad just might be the greatest television season I’ve ever seen, just masterpiece after masterpiece episode, with an endless amount of great scenes like this.

The Wire Season 4 would be a close 2nd.

too bad you get through the first 4 seasons first

SouBeachTalents
12-01-2023, 02:53 PM
too bad you get through the first 4 seasons first
While admittedly not as enjoyable as posting tens of thousands of times by yourself in threads, the first 4 seasons are still pretty good.

tpols
12-01-2023, 02:56 PM
Terrell Owen's in the 2005 Super Bowl loss to the Patriots.

https://youtu.be/a_Cj8wlZ4hc?si=N-eCCWOEHCIfPYNJ

9 catches for 122 yards on a broken leg and nearly won it. Even crippled he was the bestplayer on the field.

ILLsmak
12-01-2023, 03:01 PM
moves you up a rank tho lool

-Smak

Xiao Yao You
12-01-2023, 03:06 PM
While admittedly not as enjoyable as posting tens of thousands of times by yourself in threads, the first 4 seasons are still pretty good.

better than throwing cards in a hat I guess. Certainly didn't live up its hype

Kblaze8855
12-01-2023, 03:24 PM
better than throwing cards in a hat I guess. Certainly didn't live up its hype

Let me guess…..Prison Break was elite on both sides of the camera and carried Fox for half a decade.

RRR3
12-01-2023, 03:33 PM
Let me guess…..Prison Break was elite on both sides of the camera and carried Fox for half a decade.
:yaohappy:

Xiao Yao You
12-01-2023, 03:52 PM

don't know. Was big in China like Friends so didn't bother checking it out

John8204
12-01-2023, 03:56 PM

Michael Jordan is better than Larry Bird....but Michael Jordan lost every time he played against Larry Bird in the playoffs

FultzNationRISE
12-01-2023, 04:12 PM
If you can give it
I can take it
Cuz if this heart is gonna break, it's gonna take a lot to break it

I knoooowwww to-night
Somebody's gonna win the fight
So if you're so tough?
Come on and prove it
Your hearts down for the count, and you know you're gonna lose it

Tonight you're gonna go down in flames...

JUST LIKE JESSE JAMESSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Im Still Ballin
12-01-2023, 04:21 PM
If you can give it
I can take it
Cuz if this heart is gonna break, it's gonna take a lot to break it

I knoooowwww to-night
Somebody's gonna win the fight
So if you're so tough?
Come on and prove it
Your hearts down for the count, and you know you're gonna lose it

Tonight you're gonna go down in flames...

JUST LIKE JESSE JAMESSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:applause:

ArbitraryWater
12-01-2023, 05:29 PM
There were people who had Dirk as the best player in the NBA after the 2011 playoffs. In fact, I remember a few months later when the next 2K came out people on here complaining that dirk wasn’t the highest rated even though he was like a 99 in all the things he should be and was unstoppable in that game. They just wanted the ratings rigged somehow so he would be higher than a 97 which is what I think LeBron, and maybe Kobe were.

I just remember arguing about how they were supposed to make him rated higher when he was a 99 midrange and high in other shooting numbers but had lower overall ratings because he should.

There was definitely a contingent arguing Dirk was in fact “The man” at the time.

You could make an objective argument that Dirk was the best payer in 2010/2011.

Kblaze8855
12-01-2023, 05:45 PM
Speaking of Dirk he may have been on the other side of the best example of this. Baron Davis acting a fool knocking out the 67 win Mavs while Dirk did this the elimination game?

https://www.hostpic.org/images/2312020312290129.jpeg

8 points? Baron Davis was not Jesse James, nor was he the man, but he strolled up to the man and shot him in the face. The man had to go collect his MVP at a press conference looking crazy. Baron wasn’t Jesse. But he shot him.

ArbitraryWater
12-01-2023, 05:55 PM
Dirk in the All the Smoke Interview that just came out again mentioned how embarrassed he was to drive up in a suit to get that MVP award.

Kblaze8855
12-01-2023, 06:12 PM
I gotta go Listen to the whole thing. I saw a clip of them, asking him about the development of the one leg fade away and he was saying it allowed him to continue being a decent scorer in his career and they were like “Cmon Dirk? Decent?”. His humility is nice but you know he knows. Didn’t even occur to me they would have to talk that series, but considering the hosts of course it would come up. I forgot who they were for a second.

Jasper
12-01-2023, 07:25 PM
Well the whole 2011 debacle where Terry and Barea beat up on Wade, and everyone thought that was some big deal.

But the thing is, Wade wasnt really the man. He and Spo simply conspired to create that illusion, and it backfired tremendously. Lebron was the man all along and I will kick anyones ass who says differently.

Anyway I forget what my original point was but this thread BETTER BE RESPECTFUL OF BRON :mad:

correct lebron was eating Wheaties and D-wade was eating generic

Im Still Ballin
12-01-2023, 07:36 PM
Dirk's other weak playoff series was 2005 1st round vs. Houston. That's the only other one I can think of where he seemed off.

highwhey
12-01-2023, 07:49 PM
leJokic

puts up GOAT level stats, raises the team's ceiling, shows up in crunch time...but the moment his right hand is injured (murray), his team isn't much better than your other top10 superstars. hell, he has to have a fully healthy team to really go anywhere. if MPJ is off with his shooting and AG isn't playing elite defense, his team is very beatable. if Murray is out...sheeeeeeit, they're a run of the mill 2nd tier team. and defenses are figuring out the best way to beat him is to force him to score...so when his pts are higher than his assists, he most likely lost the game.

Carbine
12-01-2023, 08:52 PM
^ weird person