PDA

View Full Version : One last time: Dwight Howard or Amare Stoudemire?

Fudge
08-01-2007, 09:27 PM
One last time. Who's the better player?

For me, i'll take Dwight. He'll develop a low-post game eventually. Regardless, he's far more superior crashing the boards and definitely his ability to block shots. Finishing in the lane is conclusive. No problem at all.

Downside, don't know how on earth he doesn't have that go-to-guy mentality. Demanding the ball in the low-post and (at least) try to get up a shot? No reason at all. No face-up jumper whatsoever. Amare gets the huge edge on that. All in all, Dwight is just an amazing presence on both ends, when it comes to creating a defensive mishap, and just run the floor and get the open dunk. It's seriously amazing, for his size to have that freakish athleticism.

http://www.nba.com/media/act_dwight_howard.jpghttp://www.nba.com/media/act_amare_stoudemire.jpg

bagelred
08-01-2007, 09:30 PM
http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2007/03/22/sports/oden.190.jpg

qwerty
08-01-2007, 09:32 PM
if amare didn't have surgery then i would've went with him, but i'll take Dwight because he has a lot more years ahead of him and a lot more potential.

Richie2k6
08-01-2007, 09:32 PM
Right now it's Amare, no doubt.

He is a great rebounder, though not as good as Dwight, still excellent. Dwight is a physical specimen - so is Amare. Again, not as athletic as Dwight, but still extremely strong and athletic. Amare has an offensive repitoire while Howard doesn't. Amare has some decent post skills. Amare has a 15 footer that he's been working on and improving over time. Dwight's mid range game is pretty much non existent. Defensively, Howard gets the edge. Though neither of them are great passers, I just wanted to point out that Dwight isn't a very good passer at all. Add on Dwight's turnovers and horrendous FT shooting, and Amare takes the cake.

WADE MONEY
08-01-2007, 09:36 PM
To me, Amare has already reached his full potential. For a high school kid, he's an amazing worker. After that one off season where he worked on his mid range jumper, I've literally seen him make 9 out of 10 of those. Also, he's offensively the closest thing to Hakeem since Hakeem himself.

Howard has a higher ceiling simply because he's athletically superior, stronger, and can jump higher (never will be quicker than Amare though). He needs to work on his skills more and not rely on raw athleticism. He also needs at least some kind of midrange game, or at least some post moves. Maybe get Shaq to tutor him. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Dwight really doesn't have Amare's work ethic. He'll never, EVER be better than Amare offensively, but is quickly approaching Amare defensively, and will probably surpass him.

Richie2k6
08-01-2007, 09:40 PM
but is quickly approaching Amare defensively, and will probably surpass him.
Already has.

basketballer4
08-01-2007, 09:41 PM
Amare.

http://youbeenblinded.files.wordpress.com/2007/05/timmy-and-amare.jpg

Qwyjibo
08-01-2007, 09:45 PM
Dwight or pre-knee injury Amare? Amare without a doubt.

Amare now? Amare but a slight edge.

Fudge
08-01-2007, 09:48 PM
Amare is more athletic than Dwight
Say what? Nah.

Amare declined a bit after the micro. knee surgery, never showed anything special - well nothing compared to his ridiculous 04-05 year. Dwight's got the edge on athleticism now.

BradMiller52
08-01-2007, 09:50 PM
Give me Amare 10 times out of 10. I love his offensive game. As Richie2k6 said he's a great offensive player. He's got a really nice mid range J, Dwight doesn't have one at all. Amare's quicker. He's got some actual moves in the post. He's a much better ball handler. Howard is obviously the better defender. But sorry I just can't pick a guy whose only offensive skill is dunking. I wouldn't count on him developing a great post game either, dude has no touch around the basket.

Shogon Vendetta
08-01-2007, 09:56 PM
Amare is more athletic than Dwight

You can say Amare is better all you want and I won't argue but saying Amare is more athletic now is just about the dumbest thing I've seen all week. Amare wasn't even as athletic pre injury, let alone now.

Dwight is the most athletic in the league. And he's quicker than Amare, too.

Who is quicker? Ben Gordon or Amare Stoudemire?

Answer that. Because guess what? Dwight is quicker than both.

qwerty
08-01-2007, 09:56 PM
Surprised no one has yet to bring up the Nash factor.

playstation
08-01-2007, 10:04 PM
you know, i think they'd be the perfect complements for each other if team usa played them at the 4 & 5 together. amare is really a 4 anyways. that'd be crazy.

Shogon Vendetta
08-01-2007, 10:04 PM
Surprised no one has yet to bring up the Nash factor.

No ****.

If Dwight played on the Suns and had Steve Nash as his PG he'd average 20 ppg on dunks alone.

Not only that, but with the amount of rebounds the Suns have per contest (because of how fast they play) he'd be averaging 13 or 14 boards per.

Shogon Vendetta
08-01-2007, 10:07 PM
I also can't believe how people can even mention them in the same breath as rebounders. It just blows my mind.

Agent_Zero
08-01-2007, 10:26 PM
Amare. Quicker, more versatile, has a jump shot. The edge on athleticism goes to Dwight, for obvious reasons. Surgery slowed Amare down but that gave him the 15 foot jump shot that he showcased last season.

Agent_Zero
08-01-2007, 10:49 PM
BULLS, your an idiot. Seriously. Amare just had surgery and your saying he's more athletic then Dwight? Let me ask you. Who's the better rebounder?

jackjohnson
08-01-2007, 10:53 PM
The thing about stoudemaire that always amazes me is that he has no dribbling ability whatsoever and no passing ability. Plus he seems like the worst possible guy to have as your teammate.

RidonKs
08-01-2007, 11:07 PM
He is a great rebounder, though not as good as Dwight, still excellent.
Ehh, he's solid. Great at times, but could be SO much more. Lack of consistent effort from him leaves him quite a way from the point Dwight has already reached.

Shogon Vendetta
08-01-2007, 11:43 PM
Amare Stoudemire is the most athletic big man in the game, period. It's foolish to even debate that.

http://espn.go.com/media/nba/2005/1024/photo/orl_g_howard_268.jpg

"lol"

No, he's not. There will never be a time when a center is the most athletic player in the league. This is common sense.

http://espn.go.com/media/nba/2005/1024/photo/orl_g_howard_268.jpg

"lol"

http://obits.eons.com/obits/tributes/wilt_chamberlain/4084-1-photo.jpg

"lol, yeah, that's one dumb summa***** right there"

This is the stupidest argument. Ben Gordon is quicker than both, and it's not even close. Amare is the quickest BIG MAN in the game. Dwight is the 2nd most athletic BIG MAN in the game. Why the hell would you even compare two centers to a 6'1" guard. Guards are supposed to be quicker than big men.

http://arizonasportsfans.com/vb/archive/index.php/t-31591.html

Howard 11.21 sec (lane agility test)
Gordon 11.28 sec (lane agility test)

http://ww2.intouch.org/atf/cf/%7B865500FE-874B-487B-A95C-C0B327D0A690%7D/dwight-howard-1.jpg

"lol"

eliteballer
08-02-2007, 12:28 AM
[QUOTE]Amar

PejaNowitzki
08-02-2007, 01:32 AM
I also can't believe how people can even mention them in the same breath as rebounders. It just blows my mind.

I'm sorry, how many other double-digit rebounders does Dwight play with?

Kthx.........byebye!

Myth
08-02-2007, 02:05 AM
Amare's face up play is far superior, which currently gives him the advantage right now since he has Nash. Though, without Nash, I'd take Dwight because Amare's style would only flourish in a few environments. While Dwight could be more useful anywhere.

brantonli
08-02-2007, 02:13 AM
I'll take Amare for now, far more polished ofensive game, but somebody just compared him to Hakeem in terms of offense. Come on, the Dream had a thousand moves that Amare could never dream of. Dwight is still raw, and Idon't see how he can get a post game witout changing ihs jumper dramatically, or learning how to get past people.

dhsbballstud11
08-02-2007, 02:16 AM
I really don't understand where people come off saying Amare in Dwight's situation would be much different. Different methods of scoring? Yes. Same results? Probably. Like someone stated before, Amare has a great work ethic. This has enabled him to move past just dunking off Nash assists. His offensive repetoire is highly underrated, not to mention he would be playing with less scorers on the Magic. If anything, his averages go up.

Dwight's numbers would go way up with the Suns. Nash + Howard = dunk. More possessions = more rebounds. I'd take Amare right now, but after the 2008 Olympics give me Dwight.

Pharmacist
08-02-2007, 02:37 AM
No contest, any sane GM will pick Amare over Dwight.

Amare is quicker, attacks the basket hard, and is just a more polished offensive player that has a knack for getting the ball in the hoop. Howard is good at rebounds, but he doesn't know what to do with the ball sometimes. His offense is just getting the ball deep in the post and going up, something that Amare and almost any athletic 6'10+ player can do. The Suns just go inside less so Amare doesn't get the type of garbage points that Howard does, and the number of 3s the take takes away from Amare's rebounds and garbage points that Howard gets.

Amare also adds something to his game every year. Mid-range, baby hooks, free-throws, post moves, you name it. Howard? Maybe jumping an inch or two higher to grab rebounds.

wally_world
08-02-2007, 05:45 AM
Amare... at least he scores... plus any big man playing alongside Nash is > Howard...

RightToCensor
03-23-2014, 06:06 PM
Normal Fudge before he got to 10,000 posts are thought he was an elite poster.

smoovegittar
03-23-2014, 06:16 PM
Amare, hands-down. Howard is a clown in a comic book super hero's body. Yeah, Amare is hardly the player he was years ago, but his work ethic and post moves are impressive. I just wish he'd give defense some thought.

I seriously think if I was lumbered with Howard on my team, I'd take a break for a few years. Laker fans should be thrilled he's gone.

Jameerthefear
03-23-2014, 06:17 PM
Amare, hands-down. Howard is a clown in a comic book super hero's body. Yeah, Amare is hardly the player he was years ago, but his work ethic and post moves are impressive. I just wish he'd give defense some thought.

I seriously think if I was lumbered with Howard on my team, I'd take a break for a few years. Laker fans should be thrilled he's gone.
knicks have loser fans as well as loser players lmao. if you'd take amare over dwight i worry for u bruh.

smoovegittar
03-23-2014, 06:20 PM
knicks have loser fans as well as loser players lmao. if you'd take amare over dwight i worry for u bruh.
I don't need a 15 year old's concern, sonshine. Just keep watching the games and maybe you'll get a clue oneday. Later~

Jameerthefear
03-23-2014, 06:22 PM
I don't need a 15 year old's concern, sonshine. Just keep watching the games and maybe you'll get a clue oneday. Later~
Sorry bud, I don't want to punish myself by watching a shitty team play shitty basketball. Try making the playoffs next year I guess! Later~

smoovegittar
03-23-2014, 06:23 PM
Sorry bud, I don't want to punish myself by watching a shitty team play shitty basketball. Try making the playoffs next year I guess! Later~
You're hopelessy outnumbered, Junior. I wish I could muster up some sympathy for you, but stupidity takes time to overcome.

Fudge
03-23-2014, 06:25 PM
Normal Fudge before he got to 10,000 posts are thought he was an elite poster.
I'm a sellout.

The fame got to me.

:facepalm

You're weird, dude. Such a random bump. I really got to your head, eh? :lol

BlackVVaves
03-23-2014, 06:26 PM
To me, Amare has already reached his full potential. For a high school kid, he's an amazing worker. After that one off season where he worked on his mid range jumper, I've literally seen him make 9 out of 10 of those. Also, he's offensively the closest thing to Hakeem since Hakeem himself.

Howard has a higher ceiling simply because he's athletically superior, stronger, and can jump higher (never will be quicker than Amare though). He needs to work on his skills more and not rely on raw athleticism. He also needs at least some kind of midrange game, or at least some post moves. Maybe get Shaq to tutor him. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Dwight really doesn't have Amare's work ethic. He'll never, EVER be better than Amare offensively, but is quickly approaching Amare defensively, and will probably surpass him.

Amare comparable to Hakeem offensively?? Amare superior to Dwight defensively???

Holy shit :roll:

Jameerthefear
03-23-2014, 06:28 PM
Amare comparable to Hakeem offensively?? Amare superior to Dwight defensively???

Holy shit :roll:
Man how can someone be that wrong :lol

HomieWeMajor
03-23-2014, 06:29 PM
When this thread was first made Jameer was busting empty nuts over The Rugrats

ArbitraryWater
03-23-2014, 06:32 PM
I'm a sellout.

The fame got to me.

:facepalm

You're weird, dude. Such a random bump. I really got to your head, eh? :lol

Great Thread though with the Info presented... old Fudge even better :bowdown:

Shade8780
03-23-2014, 06:34 PM
Am I the only one that notices that the thread was made in '07, but Amare and Howard are in the OP in Lakers and Knicks jerseys and it doesnt say it was edited....

Fudge
03-23-2014, 06:35 PM
Am I the only one that notices that the thread was made in '07, but Amare and Howard are in the OP in Lakers and Knicks jerseys and it doesnt say it was edited....
:biggums: :biggums: :biggums:

The fuq?

MIND ****ING BLOWN.

RightToCensor
03-23-2014, 06:36 PM
The image URL link was updated. The pictures were taken from nba.com

Bandito
03-23-2014, 06:36 PM
I was wondering the same thing.

Smook A.
03-23-2014, 06:40 PM
Thread is almost 7 years old. Damn

miller-time
03-23-2014, 07:28 PM
Thread is almost 7 years old. Damn

Time flies. The first YouTube video was uploaded 9 years ago. Facebook started 10 years ago.

Smook A.
03-23-2014, 07:32 PM
Time flies. The first YouTube video was uploaded 9 years ago. Facebook started 10 years ago.
Wow

EricGordon23
03-23-2014, 07:34 PM
Dwight still contributes to his team meanwhile amare plays 20 games a year.

Dwight now and forever