PDA

View Full Version : The Haliburton regret rankings

Hey Yo
12-08-2023, 05:06 PM
Cool article on the teams who passed on him in 2020 and how drafting him would reflect on their roster today.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/tyrese-haliburton-regret-rankings-11-nba-teams-passed-on-drafting-a-star-but-not-all-mistakes-are-equal/

tontoz
12-08-2023, 05:20 PM
Apparently the Wizards actually told him that they would pick him. They expected Deni Avdija to get picked sooner but when they both fell to them and they had to choose they predictably made the wrong choice. :cry:

Akeem34TheDream
12-08-2023, 05:24 PM
I believe that players development would vary radically from situation to situation. Haliburton would have been a great starter if he had stayed on the Kings next to Fox. But not one of the best players in the whole league like he is today.

FireDavidKahn
12-08-2023, 06:31 PM
I don't agree with the Warriors really at all.

In whatever order, Edwards, Ball and Wiseman were always going first 3. Those 3, at the time of the draft, were considered a tier above everyone else. No one else was ever seriously considered.

Carbine
12-08-2023, 06:33 PM
KBlaze888555 has to be up there.

#2 or #3

bdonovan
12-09-2023, 03:28 AM
If we're talking about regret, why limit it to who missed Haliburton in the draft?

Why not mention the VERY team that DID draft him and then traded him?!!!!

At the very top of the regret list has to be Vivek Ranadive and the Sacramento Kings who chose Haliburton and then traded him after a year and a half to the Pacers for Sabonis.

Sabonis is an ok player but he's not at the level of Haliburton even though Kings gave him a Max, just after Haliburton got his, perhaps to indicate that they didn't feel they got the short end of the stick.

As it happens the Pacers and Kings have identical records, but that's in part to the Kings having D'aaron Fox before the trade and Pacers not having anyone comparable like that. Without Fox, the Kings would be a losing team.

FultzNationRISE
12-09-2023, 03:48 AM
If we're talking about regret, why limit it to who missed Haliburton in the draft?

Why not mention the VERY team that DID draft him and then traded him?!!!!

At the very top of the regret list has to be Vivek Ranadive and the Sacramento Kings who chose Haliburton and then traded him after a year and a half to the Pacers for Sabonis.

Sabonis is an ok player but he's not at the level of Haliburton even though Kings gave him a Max, just after Haliburton got his, perhaps to indicate that they didn't feel they got the short end of the stick.

As it happens the Pacers and Kings have identical records, but that's in part to the Kings having D'aaron Fox before the trade and Pacers not having anyone comparable like that. Without Fox, the Kings would be a losing team.

Sabonis is the third best big in the game.

Fox/Sabonis is a better fit and makes more sense than Fox/Halliburton.

You are literally deranged.

GimmeThat
12-09-2023, 03:55 AM
you mean when players start going over on screens instead of under?

Xiao Yao You
12-09-2023, 06:40 PM
Sabonis is the third best big in the game.

Fox/Sabonis is a better fit and makes more sense than Fox/Halliburton.

You are literally deranged.

3rd best big if you ignore D maybe

FultzNationRISE
12-09-2023, 06:54 PM
3rd best big if you ignore D maybe

I know bro. Toody > Sabonis because of the defense.

Toody > Jokic because of the defense.

Rob Williams > Jokic because of the defense.

Toody > Luka bc of last year’s playoff seeding and nothing else.

We know how you feel partner. Thanks for the reminder.

Xiao Yao You
12-09-2023, 07:02 PM
didn't say any of that and am a big fan of Sabonis but he is not a good defender

Akeem34TheDream
12-09-2023, 07:26 PM
didn't say any of that and am a big fan of Sabonis but he is not a good defender

I would like to see your center rankings. I would rank them like this atm.
Jokic
Embiid(close to Jokic)
AD
Gobert
Sengun
Sabonis
Adebayo

Xiao Yao You
12-09-2023, 07:40 PM
Jokic
Embiid(close to Jokic)
AD
Gobert
Sengun
Sabonis
Adebayo

sure you can ignore winning too

SATAN
12-09-2023, 07:47 PM
sure you can ignore winning too

Someone is a little salty in here :yaohappy:

FKAri
12-09-2023, 07:56 PM
Jokic
Embiid(close to Jokic)
AD
Gobert
Sengun
Sabonis
Adebayo

He looks so improved this year. Or maybe I just never noticed how good he always was?

warriorfan
12-09-2023, 11:03 PM
He looks so improved this year. Or maybe I just never noticed how good he always was?

he’s kinda the same dude. his game isn’t terrible but like i said in other threads if he doesn’t become a better defender and learn to use his right hand he’s ultimately going to be limited come playoff time. as of now he strikes me as a regular season star who’s game isn’t diverse enough and will get exposed in the playoffs. we will see though

wagexslave
12-09-2023, 11:45 PM
As a Suns fan, I still cry inside about this every day.

Hali fell to us at #10, he was the biggest position of need, best player available by far, perfect guy for CP3 to mentor and pass the torch to, whole fanbase was hyped that we were actually going to get him as it was little more than a pipe dream, then James ****ing Jones goes and drafts Jalen Smith 20 picks earlier than projected. Not even trade down, just straight up picks him at 10. So ****ing unbelievably stupid.

Then to make matters worse, we give Jalen Smith basically 0 minutes in his rookie season and James Jones denies his team option 3rd year, making him a UFA once his sophomore season ends, completely tanking his trade value. So all we got for him in a trade was getting Torrey Craig back who we already let walk for nothing in the previous off-season.