PDA

View Full Version : Victor Wembanyama averages with three-point shooting removed: 15.1 ppg on 57% TS

Im Still Ballin
12-09-2023, 10:23 AM
Here's how Victor's season averages would look with the threes removed. He's such a terrible shot from three.

- 15.1 ppg, 10.2 rpg, 2.6 apg, 1.3 spg, 2.7 bpg, 3.3 topg
- 50.9% FG, 57.0% TS, 81.8% FT

Here's what his shot profile/distribution looks like with the threes removed:

0-3 feet: 34.5% of FGAs
3-10 feet: 27.4% of FGAs
10-16 feet: 19.4% of FGAs
16+ feet: 18.6% of FGAs

Cut out the threes and focus on the mid-range shot. Add size, strength, and power while maintaining flexibility, fluidity, and a lean and athletic body fat percentage. An extra 25-30 pounds within 3-5 seasons will allow him to get an extra 3-4 easy shots near the rim per game that he's currently not due to subpar physical strength and conditioning. Continue to develop toward a 40-45%+ mid-range shot. Play more physically and aggressively to draw more fouls.

Victor is currently shooting 71.7% on shots from 0-5 feet. 4 more of those shots a game at 71.7% FG = 2.87 field goals made x 2 = 5.74 points + 1.27 points from 1.56 free throws (I removed the threes to find the 2pt free-throw rate) = 7 points added to 15.1 ppg = 22.1 ppg on 61.7% TS.

A bigger Anthony Davis seems more and more like the most realistic player comparison. An elite mid-range shot (45%+) will take his game to another level and add a tonne of situational value (in the clutch, late in the shot clock/on broken plays)

iamgine
12-09-2023, 11:47 AM
Add size eh...sounds like another Yao Ming story.

ILLsmak
12-09-2023, 11:48 AM
He's gonna be at least 35% in the end (as a mature player) bet. That's his shot, you can just tell.

He's literally wide open on the pop. He shouldn't be doing 6 a game, but the way his body motion can get into it and the effort of his shot, it's like Porzingis. It's nothing to rely on, but it's money. His whole body motion makes it look like a FT. He just is off in confidence. I bet he's banging them all day in practice.

At the three, he has less chance of being like: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/MHIqScu6vtI

-Smak

Im Still Ballin
12-09-2023, 11:54 AM
He's gonna be at least 35% in the end (as a mature player) bet. That's his shot, you can just tell.

He's literally wide open on the pop. He shouldn't be doing 6 a game, but the way his body motion can get into it and the effort of his shot, it's like Porzingis. It's nothing to rely on, but it's money. His whole body motion makes it look like a FT. He just is off in confidence. I bet he's banging them all day in practice.

At the three, he has less chance of being like: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/MHIqScu6vtI

-Smak

Given he's a strong free-throw shooter, he should try to pull-up/pop out of the pick and roll at the free-throw line. Hell, he doesn't even have to jump; just shoot a damn free throw!

ShawkFactory
12-09-2023, 11:56 AM
Given he's a strong free-throw shooter, he should try to pull-up/pop out of the pick and roll at the free-throw line. Hell, he doesn't even have to jump; just shoot a damn free throw!

That’s something I’ve noticed about Chet too. They’ll pass up relatively open 15 footers for some reason and try to get a look closer to the basket. Or wait to be wide open from deeper.

With their size and shooting touch they should be shooting over the top in those positions.

They’ll learn.

ILLsmak
12-09-2023, 12:00 PM

agree, same idea, if he's open. It's all confidence tho. I watched a few vids of him shooting around after this thread and he def is a little 'shy' about misses. He'll figure it out. Dude you remember being 19 right lol imagine being an NBA superstar. Think of all the guys who came into the NBA as youngins, most of them were not supposed to come out and hit shots. Even guys like Kobe were air balling stuff. Give him like 1 year or less. I really think his whole game should be outside of the paint unless he's open or for a clutch basket. Alley oops, that's a lil diff, esp cuz he can grab rim, but all those shots where he has space should be CASH and I think they will be. Dude is def unique. His thing will be turning into a piece of artillery as a catch and shoot guy, because even tho it's awesome to see him shoot a pull up like a SF, there is 0 need.

-Smak