PDA

View Full Version : LeOhtani will defer $68mil out of his $70mil annual salary each year for 10 yrs

bison
12-11-2023, 11:53 PM
God damn MLB leniency in free agency is crazy :biggums: this is like Lebron deferring 46 of his 48 mil salary with the rest to be paid in installments after he retired so the lakers can spend that 46 mil on stars this season. Lebron is probably kicking himself for not going into baseball instead of basketball. He would be allowed his ultimate dream to collude and stack the deck endlessly every year. But he probably ducked baseball because of their strict Roid testing policy.

highwhey
12-12-2023, 12:05 AM
turn a thread about a baseball superstar into a meltdown about LeBron....

that's crazy

Kblaze8855
12-12-2023, 12:16 AM
Apparently other teams are outraged. Hes getting 2 million a year for 10 years then 68 a year while he’s retired. Perfectly legal in the mlb cba but it probably won’t be once they have to come up with a new one.

Manny98
12-12-2023, 04:05 AM
That takes collusion to another level :oldlol:

Not even the Snake would do something like that

ralph_i_el
12-12-2023, 07:36 AM
I wonder if they're paying him an interest rate on it too. Towards the end of my dad's career he was deferring almost his entire salary and getting 4.5% on it.

Real Men Wear Green
12-12-2023, 09:18 AM
He might lose some money due to inflation but overall this brilliant. The team had no excuse not to build a winner around him and he still gets his massive payday. They should address this in their CBA if they care at all about competition balance...I'm not sure they do though.

Kblaze8855
12-12-2023, 09:39 AM
Nobody knows yet how they set him up to be paid. Steve Young had one of these deals in the usfl that would still be going on now but there was language in it that required him to agree to set aside a portion up front to fund an annuity that would pay him for 40 years and he chose to take the cash instead. So when the usfl failed he didn’t get all the money.

Some leagues requires the team to put the actual money aside for these things but the Dodgers I imagine plan to pay it with their local tv deal(a billion plus) and revenue from the future.

Im sure lawyers are picking through all of it right now but I wouldn’t be surprised if there were some kinda built in offset for what he loses to inflation. If they are allowed to put it in a fund of some sort to grow and then pay him from it and let him keep the accrued money as well they will have broken sports.

Full Court
12-12-2023, 09:54 AM
God damn MLB leniency in free agency is crazy :biggums: this is like Lebron deferring 46 of his 48 mil salary with the rest to be paid in installments after he retired so the lakers can spend that 46 mil on stars this season. Lebron is probably kicking himself for not going into baseball instead of basketball. He would be allowed his ultimate dream to collude and stack the deck endlessly every year. But he probably ducked baseball because of their strict Roid testing policy.

Nah, LeShrivel doesn't have what it takes to go into baseball. In baseball you can't just rely on athleticism and actually have to have skill.

bison
12-12-2023, 02:54 PM
Some leagues requires the team to put the actual money aside for these things but the Dodgers I imagine plan to pay it with their local tv deal(a billion plus) and revenue from the future.

Inflation should help too. $680 million is not gonna be what it once was in 2034. We will have billion dollar contracts by then.

FKAri
12-12-2023, 04:54 PM
People are big mad. Calling this KD-like when it's nothing of the sort.

RRR3
12-12-2023, 05:01 PM
People are big mad. Calling this KD-like when it's nothing of the sort.
You can’t really have a KD Warriors situation in baseball. Well you can but not with just a few players.

warriorfan
12-13-2023, 08:20 PM
I wonder if they're paying him an interest rate on it too. Towards the end of my dad's career he was deferring almost his entire salary and getting 4.5% on it.

I think I heard something that there is no interest. I’m not sure how accurate it is though.

Wardell Curry
12-13-2023, 08:26 PM
I could have sworn I read that he was tax dodging California and this has nothing to do with anything else.

HylianNightmare
12-13-2023, 08:41 PM
Could just sign for the min..

Kblaze8855
12-13-2023, 09:23 PM
Ap getting no interest. Agents around sports are outraged. They know he’s essentially losing money that way. And apparently right now he can simply go to a state with less taxes when it’s time for the real money but I’ve read people claiming California is already trying to close that loophole. international guy like him? I would seriously have to look into the penalty for not paying state taxes. Take my ass back to Japan and have the money sent to me. Would it still be on a pre taxed check if he has no state of residence?

I would almost be willing to pay what I would lose to California to lawyers just to find a way to not give them the money on general principle.