PDA

View Full Version : Does anything about this play rub you wrong?

Kblaze8855
12-12-2023, 04:38 PM
And if so…what?

https://i.ibb.co/JFsRRWC/IMG-7131.gif

Wondering if it’s a “me” problem.

Im Still Ballin
12-12-2023, 04:43 PM
It's Marbury so I'm conditioned to believe he's selfish.

FKAri
12-12-2023, 04:46 PM
Nothing wrong. File it under hyping up the home crowd and call it a positive.

Kblaze8855
12-12-2023, 05:08 PM
Marbury didn’t play as selfishly as his reputation and if you go back and watch a game from those days he doesn’t feel like as much of a ball hog as we are used to even respected lead guards being now. So many people dribble for 9 seconds we don’t notice it anymore.

But this particular play….just…bugs me. That much space ahead? You gotta feed your big. Even if the “big” in this case is(surprisingly athletic if you don’t know about him) Keith Van Horn.

Your big runs the floor and gets out front for an easy one…you gotta throw him the ball. Anyone the ball really…but especially anyone frontcourt.

Now…if we are talking a Vince or someone the crowd is there to see do something? He might just give it back. But you gotta give him the option.

FKAri
12-12-2023, 05:23 PM
Marbury didn’t play as selfishly as his reputation and if you go back and watch a game from those days he doesn’t feel like as much of a ball hog as we are used to even respected lead guards being now. So many people dribble for 9 seconds we don’t notice it anymore.

But this particular play….just…bugs me. That much space ahead? You gotta feed your big. Even if the “big” in this case is(surprisingly athletic if you don’t know about him) Keith Van Horn.

Your big runs the floor and gets out front for an easy one…you gotta throw him the ball. Anyone the ball really…but especially anyone frontcourt.

Now…if we are talking a Vince or someone the crowd is there to see do something? He might just give it back. But you gotta give him the option.

I didn't even notice it was Keith Van Horn. And I don't know if I'd even classify him as a "big". He wasn't even a full blown 4.

But I need some clarification: Did he actually run the floor or was this one of those TO's where he still hadn't ran back on defense? Because he's way far ahead.

tpols
12-12-2023, 05:23 PM
That's probably why Marbury guys never played hard for him. Kidd would've tossed an alley oop there to encourage him and get everybody fired up.

bison
12-12-2023, 05:32 PM
Looked like he should have gave it up but the windmill jam made up for it.

FultzNationRISE
12-12-2023, 06:12 PM

I think the reputation is more about being immature/selfish in general, not just in terms of basketball. Tbh I dont even remember the specific examples/incidents but I'm pretty sure it wasnt undeserved.

tontoz
12-12-2023, 06:28 PM
Yeah Marbury wasn't a cancer but he wasn't exactly popular with his teammates. A typical pg would kick the ball ahead to the big automatically but he just wanted to showboat.

He got a lot of hype in HS and at college. He didn't really live up to it in the NBA although he was pretty good. Just not really great at anything.

I thought he screwed up requesting a trade from Minny.

SATAN
12-12-2023, 07:07 PM
Yep. He didn't pull up for a 3.

Primitive 90s basketball at it's finest.

Reggie43
12-12-2023, 07:54 PM
That's probably why Marbury guys never played hard for him. Kidd would've tossed an alley oop there to encourage him and get everybody fired up.

Kidd also "encouraged" the Nets to get him traded..

FilmyCogTurner
12-12-2023, 09:52 PM

The thing is KVH wasn't a plodding big who rarely gets touches. He was a 3rd option starting SF who saw the ball plenty. Let Starbury throw one down for himself and the fans.

Real Men Wear Green
12-12-2023, 11:05 PM
To be fair if Ja Morant does that exact same play in his first game back he will be celebrated for it. Anyhow it doesn't bug me because I thankfully don't remember that game at all. But any time a player tries something like that and misses he deserves all the backlash in the world.

Jasper
12-13-2023, 12:00 AM
To be fair if Ja Morant does that exact same play in his first game back he will be celebrated for it. Anyhow it doesn't bug me because I thankfully don't remember that game at all. But any time a player tries something like that and misses he deserves all the backlash in the world.

nba player doesn't know how to dribble

Full Court
12-13-2023, 02:20 AM
I know where you're going with it, but let the guy do his windmill dunk. How many chances does he ever have to do that?

Yeah, it's probably a you problem.

MrFonzworth
12-13-2023, 03:10 AM
Yep. He didn't pull up for a 3.

Primitive 90s basketball at it's finest.

:lol

Kblaze8855
12-13-2023, 09:27 AM

https://youtube.com/shorts/lSCopkdoLr0?si=U220kLlySgDKJSjP

The way Iman says “I am open….” in surprise talking about Kidd is hilarious.

Kblaze8855
12-13-2023, 09:32 AM
I didn't even notice it was Keith Van Horn. And I don't know if I'd even classify him as a "big". He wasn't even a full blown 4.

But I need some clarification: Did he actually run the floor or was this one of those TO's where he still hadn't ran back on defense? Because he's way far ahead.

I did put “big” in quotes because even though he played the 4 most years he was the classic old school tweener who would be a 3 in a lot of standard lineups. I don’t know what they do with him today. He’s not a center on D. I guess he’d spend his whole career as a 4. Bit of a stretch 4 but with a lot more shifty skills than people would think at a glance. KVH was a good player he just had great expectations. He was the second pick in the draft after Duncan and in their second seasons he was 5th in the nba in scoring while Duncan was 6th(and finals mvp of course).

Far as that play I think he ran out ahead but I’m not 100%. I can’t find the original footage anymore. I had it at one point. It was a game he and Marbury both had 30 and won and I used selfish looking clips from it on a video set to “Gotta get mine” by Tupac for reasons I’ve long forgotten.

Kblaze8855
12-13-2023, 09:43 AM
https://youtu.be/JINVuZ-TUjk?si=cBg0hgQlGQw3MBgi

He could do a lot to take old school bigs by surprise. A guy like Tatum or Giannis at the 4 would be more capable of guarding him than Oakley out at the 3 point line but the lane having nobody in it much of the time would be a bit of an offset. I’m sure he’d be fine today.

GOBB
12-13-2023, 11:00 AM
It’s fine with me. He gave the fans a show. Also looks like Van Horn knew what time it was. Not like he was under the rim/in paint for the ball.

GimmeThat
12-13-2023, 11:04 AM
like when people giving up their front row seats after a blow out and people moved up front? not at all

sdot_thadon
12-13-2023, 11:05 AM
I feel like the play is a more acceptable thing in 2023, but at that point in time yeah it was a selfish play. Basketball ethics have changed a bit.

GOBB
12-14-2023, 12:18 AM
lol selfish play. The guy is 6’2 and did one of the sickest windmill dunks of all time. But yall wanted him to pass it to Keith Van Horn. Don’t be a bunch of Karens fellas. Enjoy that highlight. Ain’t too many guys that height doing a dunk like that.

FultzNationRISE
12-14-2023, 04:23 AM
lol selfish play. The guy is 6’2 and did one of the sickest windmill dunks of all time. But yall wanted him to pass it to Keith Van Horn. Don’t be a bunch of Karens fellas. Enjoy that highlight. Ain’t too many guys that height doing a dunk like that.

Yeah I dont have a problem with it since his purpose was clearly to get a highlight dunk in, he wasnt tryin to just hoard two extra points for his stat line.

If it was earlier or closer in the game and he didnt throw it ahead for the obvious basket it would be different, but because the game was over and he was just doin somethin extra for the highlights it feels pretty harmless.

Thorpesaurous
12-14-2023, 08:14 AM
With literally no one else even in view of the half court line, this doesn't really bother me. And any kid who's ever played for me will say "open and ahead give it" whenever I see them. But these are at a jog and still there's no one even on screen at the midcourt circle, so I don't really mind a little show time.

I watched a ton of Net games over the years. They were rarely very good, but even during the Knicks heyday, I just found them more interesting.