PDA

View Full Version : How long are you giving passes for being young these days?

Kblaze8855
12-13-2023, 06:53 PM
these days for whatever reasons young players come in and look like stars quickly it seems. Obviously back in the day people went to college, so that’s part of it and why you can’t make direct comparisons by age but we still do it.

I guess it’s only natural since people who are 24 or 25 feel like they have been around for so long. Luka being the best example. We are all guilty to some degree. Guy comes along and he’s a beast at like 22 and we talk shit about short comings as if he doesn’t have a decade to figure it out. It’s almost like seeing this kid:

https://youtu.be/l7eN89R4--E?si=HguV1zPHU9uJ4TYF

Hes like 10 there. Of course the initial reaction is crazy praise. It’s unbelievable to be that good that young. When we get on here talking about what 19-year-olds aren’t doing? Is it kind of like watching that kid play and saying if he’s so great where is his hit album of original material?

So let me ask you. When do you think it’s fair to start being super critical of a young player? Are you going number of years? Age? What?

Or are you the guy calling out 19 year olds 12 games into their careers? Just treat everyone equally and call a scrub a scrub?

Xiao Yao You
12-13-2023, 07:01 PM
I'd be looking for improvement. Certainly not writing anyone off that puts in the work and is getting better. Most guys used to play 4 years of college or at least 3. Didn't have international players that had been pros since their early teens or Americans that left high school early to play pro

FKAri
12-13-2023, 07:16 PM
I still have hope that Jonathan Bender can turn it around.

ShawkFactory
12-13-2023, 07:17 PM
I’d usually wait until someone has been around for 3-4 years before questioning much at all, unless it’s an issue that looks irreparable (bad attitude mainly).

By 25-26 if you’ve been around 6-7 years that’s usually what you’re going to be unless you’re an all time talent who can continue switching things up.

iamgine
12-13-2023, 08:33 PM
Usually 3rd year. Unless it's unusually bad, like Scoot Henderson has been.

HylianNightmare
12-13-2023, 08:43 PM
3/4 years in the league

Wardell Curry
12-13-2023, 08:59 PM
Jayon Tatum is only 25 years old.

Kblaze8855
12-14-2023, 03:04 AM
Usually 3rd year. Unless it's unusually bad, like Scoot Henderson has been.

So a 19 year old who has played 13 games is fair to take apart?

There are first ballot hall of famers who weren’t even getting minutes on mediocre college teams at 19….

But this is the world we have I guess. The 10 year old needs his hit album to justify the hype.

Im Still Ballin
12-14-2023, 03:12 AM
Some great players are 80% a finished product from day one. Hell, Luka was pretty much who he is now more or less by year two. Same with LeBron, Robinson, Shaq, etc. You can argue the small differences in skill and physical conditioning, but a lot of it is just personnel, scheme, and playstyle/shot selection.

Whereas other great players take a few years to get there. Usually because of the physical development of their body. Like Giannis. I expect Wemby will be the same. That old adage about big men taking longer to develop.

To answer your question, I don't have a specific timeframe. Depends on what type of player they are and what they project to be. I'm giving Victor 3-5 seasons because of his lack of strength and conditioning. Once he gets up to 255-260? Watch out!

iamgine
12-14-2023, 03:21 AM
So a 19 year old who has played 13 games is fair to take apart?

There are first ballot hall of famers who weren’t even getting minutes on mediocre college teams at 19….

But this is the world we have I guess. The 10 year old needs his hit album to justify the hype.

Fair to take apart? Wth are you even talking about lol.

It's a case by case basis. Scoot is a special case of terrible.

Kblaze8855
12-14-2023, 03:41 AM
When Nash was Scoots age he was backing up a guy you never heard of in college on a middling team and at 25 he did 7/6 shooting 36% for the year as an every game starter getting good minutes on the Mavs. But yea. Scoot is a special case of terrible. Never seen anything like it.

FultzNationRISE
12-14-2023, 03:56 AM
these days for whatever reasons young players come in and look like stars quickly it seems. Obviously back in the day people went to college, so that’s part of it and why you can’t make direct comparisons by age but we still do it.

I guess it’s only natural since people who are 24 or 25 feel like they have been around for so long. Luka being the best example. We are all guilty to some degree. Guy comes along and he’s a beast at like 22 and we talk shit about short comings as if he doesn’t have a decade to figure it out. It’s almost like seeing this kid:

https://youtu.be/l7eN89R4--E?si=HguV1zPHU9uJ4TYF

Hes like 10 there. Of course the initial reaction is crazy praise. It’s unbelievable to be that good that young. When we get on here talking about what 19-year-olds aren’t doing? Is it kind of like watching that kid play and saying if he’s so great where is his hit album of original material?

So let me ask you. When do you think it’s fair to start being super critical of a young player? Are you going number of years? Age? What?

Or are you the guy calling out 19 year olds 12 games into their careers? Just treat everyone equally and call a scrub a scrub?

His g sharp vibrato in the fifth stanza was a bit flat, the kid is a bust and will never amount to nuttin.

Manny98
12-14-2023, 04:56 AM
As long as they're showing signs of improvement over each season I guess

iamgine
12-14-2023, 10:26 AM
When Nash was Scoots age he was backing up a guy you never heard of in college on a middling team and at 25 he did 7/6 shooting 36% for the year as an every game starter getting good minutes on the Mavs. But yea. Scoot is a special case of terrible. Never seen anything like it.

lol by that logic we can't say nothin to 25 years old either huh. :oldlol:

Kblaze8855
12-14-2023, 10:59 AM
By that logic nothing a 19-year-old can do is a special case of terrible. We just live in a society that completely lacks nuance. Things are great or the worst ever. Feels like nobody can just give a reasonable take. It’s all or nothing.

iamgine
12-14-2023, 11:35 AM
Not really. There are other 19 years olds currently in the league who are bad but normal bad. Scoot however, is worst ever bad.

Kblaze8855
12-14-2023, 11:56 AM
Give me the basketball reason scoot Henderson today at 19 is worse than John Lucas the third was in Chicago and Utah in his prime. I don’t think you have any. I think you’re doing exactly what I said, which is lacking all nuance and exaggerating to make a ridiculous point.

he would get minutes over a lot of people for absolutely no reason, but basketball. People in their primes have shot worse than he shooting now while being abysmal defenders but he’s the worst player ever….

This shit is so out of hand.

FultzNationRISE
12-14-2023, 12:02 PM
Not really. There are other 19 years olds currently in the league who are bad but normal bad. Scoot however, is worst ever bad.

“Worst ever??” :lol

Gine you trollin bro.

FultzNationRISE
12-14-2023, 12:05 PM
You cant just throw ‘worst ever’ around like that.

That term is reserved for seriously bad players, like the kind MJ was facing in the watered down expansion 90s.

Dont throw that type of dirt on Scoot’s name bro.

Xiao Yao You
12-14-2023, 12:10 PM
Give me the basketball reason scoot Henderson today at 19 is worse than John Lucas the third was in Chicago and Utah in his prime. I don’t think you have any. I think you’re doing exactly what I said, which is lacking all nuance and exaggerating to make a ridiculous point.

he would get minutes over a lot of people for absolutely no reason, but basketball. People in their primes have shot worse than he shooting now while being abysmal defenders but he’s the worst player ever….

This shit is so out of hand.

Jazz have had worse than Lucas. They have one right now

iamgine
12-14-2023, 12:13 PM
Are you gonna ask next why Scoot is worse than that 15th bench guy who see no minutes and got cut after summer league? :oldlol:

999Guy
12-14-2023, 12:27 PM
To me it’s more about improvement. Even slight improvement.

Ben Simmons peaked as a rookie, which is why people talked like he was trash on up until his last Sixers game, even though he was all-star level his entire Philly career.

Very rarely do terrible rookies end up being great players though. Or even average ones.

For some reason I want to take this time officially complain about Luka and the lack of maturity in his game. He arguably plays a worse style than he ever has. Worst shot selection of his career, worst ball pounding, worst defense, he might have only actually improved in complaining and his conditioning might have been good from the start of the season for the first time in years.

Extremely disappointed in Luka. Other than his 2nd year leap his improvement hasn’t been consistent at all. I mean last year he was better than ever in significant ways with his post-up game and a quarter of a season of good defense but this year it’s just a huge step back.

Only elite big men are better than Luka at dominating the paint and he’s shooting prime Curry volume of 3’s. This dudes IQ, coordination, strength, hand speed, and feel for hitting the glass is so damn high and natural, and doesn’t do shit to disrupt things on defense. And I’ve seen him having astonishing defensive performances in the playoffs just based on timing the direction of ball handlers alone - which means he would cut off their dribbles before they’re even started, and he still doesn’t consistently do it.

Luka probably won’t seriously improve until his late 20’s like Harden did, and by 30 Harden was quietly extremely well-rounded, and people only gave a **** when he went to Brooklyn.

If Luka peaks the way he should, people are gonna lump 2020-2024 Luka together with his true prime but it won’t be close to true. We won’t get to see Luk’s athletic peak and his mental/maturity peak overlap much at all unlike most greats and it really bothers me.

Kblaze8855
12-14-2023, 01:22 PM
Are you gonna ask next why Scoot is worse than that 15th bench guy who see no minutes and got cut after summer league? :oldlol:

If you don’t mean “worst” say something else. Many many words exist. You know quite a few of them.