PDA

View Full Version : Would you rather have the all-time international team or the active one?

Kblaze8855
12-14-2023, 06:44 PM
First, let me say I’m not interested in whatever argument you might want to have about what constitutes international. Just list whoever you feel applies for the team you choose. I promise I will not argue. If you want Marc Gasol, even though he grew up in Memphis, I don’t care. You wanna include Ewing who came over at like 14? Don’t care. Do it. That’s not the part of this I’m interested in talking about.

Just make the current or retired(from the nba) squad you think takes a 7 game series on a random site. Coin flip For home rule advantage. The designated home team will have the rules and ref from their era. The current players obviously get today’s rules and you can pick whatever year you want for the Former players. I think I’d say 2000 rules for my old guy squad.

With little thought given it would be something like…

Hakeem//Yao/Mutombo(unless I can have young Sabonis)
Dirk/Pau/Detlef
AK47/Peja
Manu/Drazen
Nash/Parker

Give or take a name.

Vs a core of something like

Jokic
Giannis
SGA
Luka

Plus like 20 options for filler.

fill it out as you see fit.

Best version of each team you can think of. Who wins?

highwhey
12-14-2023, 06:51 PM
hmmm fundamentally sound players vs one dimensional players that need the officials on their side to win games....hmmmmm

Akeem34TheDream
12-14-2023, 07:02 PM
Hakeem-Dirk-AK47-Manu-Nash sounds insanely good. No ego, a lot of skills, ATG offensive & deffensive players, great motor, and they would fit nicely. Nash is the ball handler but Manu can help if needed. Seriously, what's the weakness of this team? Maybe spacing wouldn't be ideal? Rebounding? They would embarrass the new guys imo. That looks like an All-star team or a super team that is waiting to explode.

SouBeachTalents
12-14-2023, 07:03 PM
The all-time team is nice AF and would be very cohesive. The other one simply has too many chefs in the kitchen. Luka is arguably the most talented player I would never want on an all-time team.

Phoenix
12-14-2023, 07:06 PM
I'd like to see this matchup under Fiba rules instead of NBA ones. Either way I'd go with the all-time team, but the margin of victory I think is smaller under NBA rules.

highwhey
12-14-2023, 07:06 PM
The all-time team is nice AF and would be very cohesive. The other one simply has too many chefs in the kitchen. Luka is arguably the most talented player I would never want on an all-time team.

if those guys are chefs, the only thing they're cooking is frozen meals in the microwave.

Kblaze8855
12-14-2023, 07:53 PM
Guessing the internationals would add

Embiid
Murray
Sabonis
Siakam
Gobert
KP

Would they take Wiggins, Simmons, or Horford?

Jokic/Luka/Giannis is a hell of a screen game trio to deal with. Hakeem is in the middle and I’m sure Kirilenko could be disruptive, but you better not end up with anybody else guarding any of the three one on one.

Steve Nash or Tony Parker wouldn’t even be an appetizer.

That trio and SGA plus the 3 best of the 6 I mentioned and as many extra shooters as they want? Guys like Danilo or whoever you want spotting up?

they will be hard to defend when they had home era rules.

Kblaze8855
12-14-2023, 07:55 PM
That said Nash and Manu, with Hakeem, and Dirk is what dreams are made of.

Hakeem and AK alone should make for good defense vs most lineups but this one?

I really don’t how it goes.

I know Hakeem and Dirk are gonna run wild though.

FultzNationRISE
12-14-2023, 09:04 PM
I know this is not the response you want but Im gonna give it anyway:

Canada is not foreign/international when it comes to something like this. Culturally their basketball talent/development is just a northern extension of the US. Even their one current (and one former) pro team plays in the NATIONAL Basketball Association.

Im ruling Canadian players invalid for your rosters. The panel asks that you please select the necessary replacements or risk game forfeiture.

Full Court
12-14-2023, 09:25 PM
hmmm fundamentally sound players vs one dimensional players that need the officials on their side to win games....hmmmmm

^He's not wrong....

FKAri
12-14-2023, 11:23 PM
First, let me say I’m not interested in whatever argument you might want to have about what constitutes international. Just list whoever you feel applies for the team you choose. I promise I will not argue. If you want Mark, the soul, even though he grew up in Memphis, I don’t care. You wanna include Ewing who came over at like 14? Don’t care. Do it. That’s not the part of this I’m interested in talking about.

Just make the current or retired(from the nba) squad you think takes a 7 game series on a random site. Coin flip For home rule advantage. The designated home team will have the rules and ref from their era. The current players obviously get today’s rules and you can pick whatever year you want for the Former players. I think I’d say 2000 rules for my old guy squad.

With little thought given it would be something like…

Hakeem//Yao/Mutombo(unless I can have young Sabonis)
Dirk/Pau/Detlef
AK47/Peja
Manu/Drazen
Nash/Parker

Give or take a name.

Vs a core of something like

Jokic
Giannis
SGA
Luka

Plus like 20 options for filler.

fill it out as you see fit.

Best version of each team you can think of. Who wins?

How'd you get so many names right with speech to text?

Carbine
12-14-2023, 11:48 PM
The current one no question about it now that Luka has developed a damn near 40 percent 3 pt shot on a lot of volume.

That pick and roll with Giannis or Jokic would not be stopped. Nobody in the history of the league could do anything about that.

Xiao Yao You
12-15-2023, 12:00 AM
The current one no question about it now that Luka has developed a damn near 40 percent 3 pt shot on a lot of volume.

That pick and roll with Giannis or Jokic would not be stopped. Nobody in the history of the league could do anything about that.

big difference between 38% and 40% and we'll see if he can keep it up

Carbine
12-15-2023, 12:54 AM
As I look he's 1.6 percent off from being a 40 percent three guy.

Every 20 games he plays he misses 3 more shots than a true 40 percent shooter.

That is not a big difference at all. It's basically not even worth mentioning.

Kblaze8855
12-15-2023, 03:26 AM
How'd you get so many names right with speech to text?

I assume it’s learning what I mean because I correct so many proper nouns. It knows when I mean “Karl Malone” not “Carl” which it used to default to. I did just notice the Marc Gasol error which probably tipped you off to it being speech to text. I had to fix it. It was bugging the **** outta me.

I use it so much I must be altering the default assumptions on meaning. I know it didn’t know “Giannis” for a long time. Enough people have to fix it I’m sure it gets into the algorithm.

Now I want a test. These are speech to text names

Victor Wim, Yama

Dirk Nowitzki

Nikola, Jokic

Drazen, Petrovic

Sarunas, Yukich

Luka Dončić

Hakeem Olajuwon

Shay Gil Alexander

Arvita, Sabonis

Could be worse. My sleepy enunciation and the fan I have near me probably cause issues