PDA

View Full Version : Is good basketball more like chess or checkers?

Street Hunger
12-14-2023, 08:33 PM
The easy answer is that good basketball is more like chess and checkers. Because chess is a more complex game.

But a lot of really good teams just sort of swing the ball around the perimeter and play a style of basketball that looks more like checkers than chess. Including some teams that want championships.

There's probably a better way to ask the sort of question that I'm asking it but you get what I'm trying to say.

SouBeachTalents
12-14-2023, 08:39 PM
https://i0.wp.com/foolishwatcher.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/this-shits-chess-it-aint-checkers-training-day.gif?resize=500%2C213&ssl=1

Wally450
12-14-2023, 08:43 PM
Every sport is a chess match. It may look like checkers to us armchair analysts at times, but there's so many little things that go into a team playing well.

Phoenix
12-14-2023, 08:48 PM
I think the game was more like chess in the past, because the emphasis on controlling the X's and O's was greater ( controlling the glass, winning the turnover battle, out-assisting the opponent, matchups). Those things are still important, but the prominence of the 3pointer has had somewhat of an equalizing effect. I mean we've seen shit like teams having a 3 on 1 break and the wings sprint to the 3point line instinctively.