PDA

View Full Version : Is Ricky Rubio getting paid while missing the season for a mental health vacation?

FultzNationRISE
12-15-2023, 06:11 PM
I'm honestly curious. I know he was under contract with the Cavs, and then announced he would step away this season to focus on his mental health.

Obviously if a player retires they dont get paid the rest of their contract, but I dont think thats what he did. And if a player just refuses to show up they dont get paid. But it seems to be an approved absence.

So is he just... getting paid the money in his contract?

I'm not judging anyone for taking mental health time, I'm just curious how it currently works in terms of NBA contract terms.

GimmeThat
12-15-2023, 06:41 PM
Drakula doesn't really die

Jasper
12-15-2023, 07:07 PM
mental illness is not a vacation.. it is an illness

90sgoat
12-15-2023, 07:15 PM
focus on his mental health.

My understanding is that since 2021, this has been codeword for "had a stroke due to covid vaccination".

Xiao Yao You
12-15-2023, 07:16 PM
haven't heard he's missing the season. Maybe he's been practicing his layups?

Norcaliblunt
12-16-2023, 05:57 PM
Did your parents subsidize and support your wannabe acting career?

Did they put up in a cheap apartment in Van Nuys and finance your whole charade of trying to be a reality TV star?

Lmao.

warriorfan
12-16-2023, 06:06 PM
Being honest the owners can suck a fat D. They agreed to guaranteed contracts, this is what comes with it.

They made their bed, now they gotta lie in it.

fsvr54
12-16-2023, 06:10 PM
mental illness is not a vacation.. it is an illness

You would know firsthand

Xiao Yao You
12-20-2023, 04:32 PM
Desperate for both help in the backcourt, and a roster spot, the Cleveland Cavaliers and Ricky Rubio have begun discussing a potential parting of ways, (https://theathletic.com/5152263/2023/12/20/cavaliers-ricky-rubio-future/) according to league sources. Rubio, 33, has been on permitted leave in Spain from the team since the summer as he manages his mental health and there are serious doubts about whether he ever plays again, league sources said. At minimum, Rubio is not expected back this season.
– via Shams Charania, Joe Vardon, Shams Charania and Joe Vardon @ The Athletic (https://theathletic.com/5152263/2023/12/20/cavaliers-ricky-rubio-future/)

r15mohd
12-20-2023, 05:00 PM
I'm honestly curious. I know he was under contract with the Cavs, and then announced he would step away this season to focus on his mental health.

Obviously if a player retires they dont get paid the rest of their contract, but I dont think thats what he did. And if a player just refuses to show up they dont get paid. But it seems to be an approved absence.

So is he just... getting paid the money in his contract?

I'm not judging anyone for taking mental health time, I'm just curious how it currently works in terms of NBA contract terms.

it would fall under disability pay I'd, and all these teams have an insurer who processes it based on a criteria for the pay. when I worked claims about 15yrs ago out of school, I had an NFL team account.

percentage of pay are like 80% short term and 60% long term. criteria can be up to the Cavs, strict on physician reviews and meeting clinical reasoning, or as simple as a doctors note.