PDA

View Full Version : So the Jazz are going the Thunder route and want 15 picks the next few years.

Kblaze8855
12-18-2023, 05:43 PM
https://www.hostpic.org/images/2312190312440374.jpeg

Akeem34TheDream
12-18-2023, 05:49 PM
Imo Markkanen is worse than them

SATAN
12-18-2023, 05:53 PM

This and it's absolutely obvious. Good player but not as valuable to a team.

Xiao Yao You
12-18-2023, 05:57 PM

He's worth more than Mitchell any day. He certainly hasn't had the impact of Gobert though.

They already have more future firsts than the Thunder. It makes sense with the age gap between Agbaji, Kessler and the 3 20 year old they added this year

tontoz
12-18-2023, 06:05 PM
If they don't get a deal done by the deadline then he will be an expiring deal in the summer who will be a UFA. That won't help his trade value.

If the thunder want him they certainly have the assets to do a deal but I doubt it would take that much.

I definitely expect both teams to try moving up in the draft.

SATAN
12-18-2023, 06:06 PM
He's worth more than Mitchell any day.

:roll:

Akeem34TheDream
12-18-2023, 06:07 PM
He's worth more than Mitchell any day. He certainly hasn't had the impact of Gobert though.

They already have more future firsts than the Thunder. It makes sense with the age gap between Agbaji, Kessler and the 3 20 year old they added this year
Passing and defense matter to me so i rate Mitchell higher.

Kblaze8855
12-18-2023, 06:13 PM
If they don't get a deal done by the deadline then he will be an expiring deal in the summer who will be a UFA. That won't help his trade value.

If the thunder want him they certainly have the assets to do a deal but I doubt it would take that much.

I definitely expect both teams to try moving up in the draft.

He’s the right age. Thunder make a lotta sense. They have to convert those picks to players at some point. Roster isn’t big enough to even contain all the players if they hit on every one. Eventually you just have to pick 3-4 to be the core and go for it.

Kblaze8855
12-18-2023, 06:15 PM
He's worth more than Mitchell any day.

And yet in the world that actually exists he was swapped for Mitchell only after the addition of Sexton and 5 more draft picks.

Xiao Yao You
12-18-2023, 06:30 PM
Passing and defense matter to me so i rate Mitchell higher.

Lauri unlike Mitchell plays some D

Xiao Yao You
12-18-2023, 06:33 PM
And yet in the world that actually exists he was swapped for Mitchell only after the addition of Sexton and 5 more draft picks.

things change quickly. He's now one of the best players in the league. Wouldn't want Mitchell over Sexton or Agbaji either. 3 picks and 2 swaps though. That one has certainly turned out to be a steal. Addition by subtraction

Kblaze8855
12-18-2023, 06:39 PM
As I said the actual world is very different from whatever goes on in your head. If your feelings mattered to normal people Minny could trade Rudy for Jokic and a few picks added as sweetener.

Xiao Yao You
12-18-2023, 06:42 PM
As I said the actual world is very different from whatever goes on in your head. If your feelings mattered to normal people Minny could trade Rudy for Jokic and a few picks added as sweetener.

you are the one that just posted they want 5 1sts for him not me. They got 3 for Mitchell. Ainge thinks he's worth more just like the Wolves thought Gobert was worth more than the Cavs or Knicks or anyone thought Mitchell was worth despite the feelings of ISH to the contrary :facepalm

SATAN
12-18-2023, 06:45 PM
Wouldn't want Mitchell over Sexton

:facepalm

Kblaze8855
12-18-2023, 06:48 PM
5 picks and 3 players at least 2 of which you consider better(sexton I believe you said was his equal but I don’t remember for sure). Obviously the real world value and your personal is way off. Considering what they now expect for Lauri alone hard to say they didn’t get a massive haul.

I was actually surprised Sexton was included though obviously with Mitchell and Garland there may not have been balls to go around.

Xiao Yao You
12-18-2023, 06:54 PM

:facepalm

Mitchell on a max contract for 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 more years playing one end of the floor or Sexton for half of that for 1 1/2 more years while being several years younger, being faster, a better shooter, better finisher and playing hard at both ends. No brainer to me. :facepalm

Real Men Wear Green
12-18-2023, 06:54 PM
It's not the"Thumder route." This is what Ainge did to rebuild the Pierce/KG Celtics. He will get what he wants... and heaven help the team he gets it from.

Xiao Yao You
12-18-2023, 06:57 PM
5 picks and 3 players at least 2 of which you consider better(sexton I believe you said was his equal but I don’t remember for sure). Obviously the real world value and your personal is way off. Considering what they now expect for Lauri alone hard to say they didn’t get a massive haul.

I was actually surprised Sexton was included though obviously with Mitchell and Garland there may not have been balls to go around.

I'm guessing you understand that you have to match contracts. Sexton was a FA. Cavs didn't want him. Ainge liked him and especially Lauri more than anything the Knicks were offering. Knicks and Ainge were the smart ones here

Xiao Yao You
12-18-2023, 06:58 PM
It's not the"Thumder route." This is what Ainge did to rebuild the Pierce/KG Celtics. He will get what he wants... and heaven help the team he gets it from.

heaven help them. They might end up the best team in the league like the Wolves though probably not. There's only so many players with that kind of impact

FultzNationRISE
12-18-2023, 07:01 PM
heaven help them. They might end up the best team in the league like the Wolves though probably not. There's only so many players with that kind of impact

Best record =/= best team

We wont know who the best team is until June.

Real Men Wear Green
12-18-2023, 07:04 PM

It is hard to get a guy like Anthony Edwards but Ainge has struck gold in the draft before. Dealing for draft picks is how Ainge set the assets in place for Stevens to put together the team that actually has the best record in the league.

Kblaze8855
12-18-2023, 07:06 PM
I'm guessing you understand that you have to match contracts. Sexton was a FA. Cavs didn't want him. Ainge liked him and especially Lauri more than anything the Knicks were offering. Knicks and Ainge were the smart ones here

Donovan is on one of the smallest contracts in the league for a player anyone has even heard of much less an all nba second team type. He makes less than Michael Porter. He has among the easiest deals to match money wise of any star. He makes mid 30s.

And I know the Cavs didn’t value sexton my point is I’m surprised by that.

Xiao Yao You
12-18-2023, 07:06 PM
It is hard to get a guy like Anthony Edwards but Ainge has struck gold in the draft before. Dealing for draft picks is how Ainge set the assets in place for Stevens to put together the team that actually has the best record in the league.

He's got a pretty good start with at least 4 of their 5 youngsters. Need a new coach now. He whiffed on that one this time

Xiao Yao You
12-18-2023, 07:08 PM
Donovan is on one of the smallest contracts in the league for a player anyone has even heard of much less an all nba second team type. He makes less than Michael Porter. He has among the easiest deals to match money wise of any star. He makes mid 30s.

And I know the Cavs didn’t value sexton my point is I’m surprised by that.

I'm surprised to. Love to watch him play! He's balling with The Bum out. The Bum brings nothing to the table that Sexton doesn't do better. Not saying much I know

Kblaze8855
12-18-2023, 07:16 PM
He's got a pretty good start with at least 4 of their 5 youngsters. Need a new coach now. He whiffed on that one this time

Kinda feels like you dislike all Jazz coaches ever. Even Jerry Sloan much of the time. Am I wrong about that?

Xiao Yao You
12-18-2023, 07:24 PM
Kinda feels like you dislike all Jazz coaches ever. Even Jerry Sloan much of the time. Am I wrong about that?

Sloan was an upgrade from the comedian. You go from 1st to 3rd with two of the all time greats you lose your job anywhere else. Did it again with Deron and The Legendary One too. Liked Hardy last year but it appears that was more Conley than him knowing what he was doing. In way over his head. His undying love of The Bum has killed them. He would have never seen the floor under Sloan that's for sure

Xiao Yao You
12-18-2023, 07:26 PM
NBA Central: Jordan Clarkson is available for trade, (https://*********.com/social/) per @ChrisBHaynes (Via @BleacherReport ) pic.twitter.com/wNXAXPnAT9

– via Twitter TheNBACentral (https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral)

Ainge needs to Hardy proof the roster

Kblaze8855
12-18-2023, 07:34 PM
Sloan was an upgrade from the comedian. You go from 1st to 3rd with two of the all time greats you lose your job anywhere else. Did it again with Deron and The Legendary One too. Liked Hardy last year but it appears that was more Conley than him knowing what he was doing. In way over his head. His undying love of The Bum has killed them. He would have never seen the floor under Sloan that's for sure

Which season specifically are you saying Sloan should’ve been fired for?

Xiao Yao You
12-18-2023, 07:44 PM
Which season specifically are you saying Sloan should’ve been fired for?

Guess we can give him the benefit of the doubt for losing in the first round his first year since he took over the team after the season started despite the coming out party for Stockton to Malone against Showtime the year before. First Conference finals in '92 to losing in 1st round the following year. 8 less wins. Relied on the Big Stiff too much. Couldn't adjust. See ya! No HOF. Maybe banners? Who knows? Probably got a raise from their brilliant owner

Xiao Yao You
12-19-2023, 09:00 AM
Is Mitchell as good as Dirk?

https://saltcityhoops.com/sc7121823-markkanen-market/

The Jazz love Markkanen. “I hope he’s here for 10 years,” a Jazz person told me around this time last year, when the Finnish forward was still just starting to explore his potential in a new system. Since then, he’s become a full-fledged NBA All-Star, scored with a combination of volume and efficiency usually reserved for MVP candidates (https://stathead.com/tiny/rN6HA), and became the first NBA player ever to score 100+ dunks and 200+ threes in the same season.

As Markkanen was starting to ease into his role as Utah’s primary offensive weapon, there were some cautious whispers: He’s starting to look a little like young Dirk Nowitzki, people only barely dared to say. Over the course of the season, it became less wild. Dirk didn’t regularly assault the rim like Lauri, nor was he anywhere close to as prolific from deep. In fact, if you statistically compare Nowitzki’s age-25 season to Markkanen’s, the comparison isn’t crazy at all.

[/URL]
Source: [URL="https://stathead.com/tiny/Kt72H"]Basketball Reference/Stathead

(https://i0.wp.com/saltcityhoops.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/12/lauridirk25.jpg?ssl=1)

Dirk at that point in his career still wasn’t DIRK FREAKING NOWITZKI, but the point here is that perhaps Markkanen isn’t yet the final version of himself either. Nowitzki was third-team All-NBA at 25, and Markkanen was awfully close (https://www.basketball-reference.com/awards/awards_2023.html) at the same age. In the seven years that followed, Nowitzki was perennially first- or second-team, averaged 25-9-3, won the 2007 MVP, led two Finals runs, and ultimately claimed the 2011 title.

Because of early-season hamstring issues, Markkanen’s only 17 games into the current season. His production could have easily suffered a steep drop given the lack of a true table-setting guard. Instead, his usage and efficiency have damn near held up. Even if he has reached his plateau and his trajectory doesn’t take him into “MVP Dirk” territory, he’s already established himself as a top 30ish player at worst, and a bit of a unicorn in terms of being someone who is apositionally versatile. That’s a valuable commodity even if THIS is exactly what he’s going to be moving forward.

All of this is why I think people are asking the wrong version of the Markkanen question this week. The question isn’t whether or not he’s “available,” whatever that means. The question is, why would a team want to trade a 26-year-old All-Star who’s still improving and who plays like young Dirk, but angrier at the rim? The only acceptable answers to that question are: a) they wouldn’t, or b) they would only if they’re unsure about their ability to keep him.

better defender than Dirk too

Im Still Ballin
12-19-2023, 10:25 AM

The only player ever to have 100+ dunks and 200+ threes in a season? Damn. That's unique. Very cool!

Im Still Ballin
12-19-2023, 10:30 AM
OKC and Sacramento seem like the best fits off the top of my head. OG Anunoby is probably more ideal for both as far as winning is concerned. But maybe Lauri's size gives the Kings enough to work with on defense without capitulating its offense. Kind of like Denver's large starting five.

Xiao Yao You
12-19-2023, 10:36 AM
OKC and Sacramento seem like the best fits off the top of my head. OG Anunoby is probably more ideal for both as far as winning is concerned. But maybe Lauri's size gives the Kings enough to work with on defense without capitulating its offense.

I'd think you'd want more of a defensive big next to Sabonis if you're the Kings. Lauri with Chet seems like a good fit and I'm sure Ainge likes OKC's assets the best

Kblaze8855
12-19-2023, 10:47 AM

so you’re telling me the Jazz have a better defensive dirt right now? That what you’re telling me? I don’t want you claiming I’m saying something you aren’t so I’m asking directly. Not that asking you direct questions tends to result in direct answers. I’m doing it anyway.

Is Lauri a better defensive Dirk?

And if not, why would you ask me if Mitchell is as good as Dirk?

Im Still Ballin
12-19-2023, 11:09 AM
Lauri is an amazing off-ball player, perhaps better than Dirk. But he can't create a shot like Nowitzki can, and that's the biggest difference that separates them. With Lauri, you can't salvage a broken play, take advantage of a mismatch, or go to him in the clutch like you can with Dirk.

Those unideal situations are where Dirk adds significant amounts of value.

Lauri may be better on defense, but that's not as valuable as Dirk's on-ball shot creation scoring advantage and situational value.

Xiao Yao You
12-19-2023, 11:10 AM
so you’re telling me the Jazz have a better defensive dirt right now? That what you’re telling me? I don’t want you claiming I’m saying something you aren’t so I’m asking directly. Not that asking you direct questions tends to result in direct answers. I’m doing it anyway.

Is Lauri a better defensive Dirk?

And if not, why would you ask me if Mitchell is as good as Dirk?

read the article and make up you're own mind. I'm taking Lauri over Mitchell even if we ignore their contracts that's all I know

Kblaze8855
12-19-2023, 11:41 AM
Making bold Suggestions then slinking away from what is obviously implied when asked a Direct question? Color me shocked.

Xiao Yao You
12-19-2023, 11:48 AM
Making bold Suggestions then slinking away from what is obviously implied when asked a Direct question? Color me shocked.

What bold statement did I make? I posted an article comparing Lauri with Dirk at the same age and said he was a better defender. I don't really like to compare eras. I'll let you guys do the rankings that you are so obsessed with. I know who I like and don't like no matter what anyone else thinks. I like Dirk. I like Lauri. I like Sexton. I don't like Mitchell with Gobert on a max deal. I don't The Bum. Never have and never will

Im Still Ballin
12-19-2023, 12:03 PM
It's quite remarkable that Lauri can average 25 ppg on 64% TS without any ability to create his own shot. No post-up game, no isolation game, no PnR ball-handling game. All off-ball: transition, cuts, off-screens, spot-up shooting, pick-and-rolls, and putbacks. He's amazing at attacking closeouts.

You can fit him on just about any team. But don't expect him to raise the floor of a weak supporting cast like Dirk. He's much more of a ceiling raiser.

Kblaze8855
12-19-2023, 12:12 PM
What bold statement did I make? I posted an article comparing Lauri with Dirk at the same age and said he was a better defender. I don't really like to compare eras. I'll let you guys do the rankings that you are so obsessed with. I know who I like and don't like no matter what anyone else thinks. I like Dirk. I like Lauri. I like Sexton. I don't like Mitchell with Gobert on a max deal. I don't The Bum. Never have and never will

You obviously rank players above and below others, but when directly questioned, you simply don’t acknowledge it. Was it Dmavs who spent like 100 post once asking you exactly where you ranked Rudy while arguing with where he was ranked by someone else?

You will argue for 200 posts because you have an opinion you simply won’t state it directly when asked. You absolutely rank players. You’re just a ***** about it.

Talking about you don’t compare across eras right after asking if Mitchell is as good as Dirk.

I swear you’re in the 50 40 90 club efficiency wise when it comes to bullshit per post.

Im Still Ballin
12-19-2023, 12:21 PM
Do the Warriors have any picks left? Because Markannen would be a perfect fit on that team. I suppose they've got zero assets; not anything Utah would be interested in.

Xiao Yao You
12-19-2023, 01:53 PM
It's quite remarkable that Lauri can average 25 ppg on 64% TS without any ability to create his own shot. No post-up game, no isolation game, no PnR ball-handling game. All off-ball: transition, cuts, off-screens, spot-up shooting, pick-and-rolls, and putbacks. He's amazing at attacking closeouts.

You can fit him on just about any team. But don't expect him to raise the floor of a weak supporting cast like Dirk. He's much more of a ceiling raiser.

He's got a post up game. Can drive. Can shoot over anyone. Rebounds. Plays some D. Quit playing him out of position and he's really good

Xiao Yao You
12-19-2023, 01:56 PM
You obviously rank players above and below others, but when directly questioned, you simply don’t acknowledge it. Was it Dmavs who spent like 100 post once asking you exactly where you ranked Rudy while arguing with where he was ranked by someone else?

You will argue for 200 posts because you have an opinion you simply won’t state it directly when asked. You absolutely rank players. You’re just a ***** about it.

Talking about you don’t compare across eras right after asking if Mitchell is as good as Dirk.

I swear you’re in the 50 40 90 club efficiency wise when it comes to bullshit per post.

Don't know where Rudy ranks other than #3 unquestionably in Jazz history despite not beating an 8th seed to get to a conference final. I do know that not many players can carry a bad team the way he did in Utah. With Ant out the Wolves have still looked good too this year. Dirk certainly better than Mitchell. Lauri vs Dirk is a different argument obviously

Xiao Yao You
12-19-2023, 01:58 PM
Do the Warriors have any picks left? Because Markannen would be a perfect fit on that team. I suppose they've got zero assets; not anything Utah would be interested in.

Thunder have what they'd want. Maybe the Knicks? Don't know who else has enough picks to make Danny happy

Im Still Ballin
12-19-2023, 02:08 PM
He's got a post up game. Can drive. Can shoot over anyone. Rebounds. Plays some D. Quit playing him out of position and he's really good

I've checked the stats, bro. Lauri has never had anything resembling a good post-up game. He drives off the catch when the defense closes out on him. He's extremely good at that. But it's not the same thing as taking a guy off the dribble or creating off the dribble in the pick-and-roll.

Xiao Yao You
12-19-2023, 02:38 PM
I've checked the stats, bro. Lauri has never had anything resembling a good post-up game. He drives off the catch when the defense closes out on him. He's extremely good at that. But it's not the same thing as taking a guy off the dribble or creating off the dribble in the pick-and-roll.

made a shot from the post last night. When you shoot like he does they probably don't want him in the post