PDA

View Full Version : Why's nobody talking about Memphis?

tpols
12-19-2023, 12:42 AM
Last years playoffs all I heard was they were better without Ja.

Bane and JJJ fully healthy and they're 6-18?

1987_Lakers
12-19-2023, 12:44 AM
No more Steven Adams

Xiao Yao You
12-19-2023, 12:46 AM
No more Steven Adams

a lot of guys have been out but with Bane and Jackson they should be better

tpols
12-19-2023, 12:46 AM
No more Steven Adams

I don't know if this is sarcasm but Adams only played half the season and none of the playoffs last year.

1987_Lakers
12-19-2023, 12:48 AM
none of the playoffs last year.

And lost in the 1st round.

tpols
12-19-2023, 12:51 AM
And lost in the 1st round.

Yea... and they didn't have adams for 40 regular season games and were still the 2 seed. And even without him never looked this bad.

They're 6-18.

bison
12-19-2023, 12:59 AM
No Ja, no adams, no Tillman, no Brandon Clarke, no Marcus smart, no Derrick rose, no luke kennard

Cmon man it’s not just ja. Half their rotation has been missing

FultzNationRISE
12-19-2023, 01:09 AM
Yea... and they didn't have adams for 40 regular season games and were still the 2 seed. And even without him never looked this bad.

They're 6-18.

They probably overachieved a bit last year and are underachieving a bit this year. Their actual level is probably somewhere in between, with or without Ja. And obviously injuries are playing a part.

It’s obviously better to have Morant than to not have him, but evidence shows there are very few players who drastically change a team’s fortune by being out. Lebron, Jokic, Doncic, Durant. Maybe a couple others.

Ja is more like an Irving or Donovan Mitchell, they fill the role that happens to get the most credit (scorer), but theyre not really irreplaceable in terms of a significant impact on W-L.

tpols
12-19-2023, 01:13 AM
They probably overachieved a bit last year and are underachieving a bit this year. Their actual level is probably somewhere in between, with or without Ja. And obviously injuries are playing a part.

It’s obviously better to have Morant than to not have him, but evidence shows there are very few players who drastically change a team’s fortune by being out. Lebron, Jokic, Doncic, Durant. Maybe a couple others.

Ja is more like an Irving or Donovan Mitchell, they fill the role that happens to get the most credit (scorer), but theyre not really irreplaceable in terms of a significant impact on W-L.

I don't know about that. Ja was a lightning rod for them and their crowd. They look plain and dry without his energy.

Axe
12-19-2023, 01:16 AM
In the 2023 playoffs against the lakers in the first round...

With ja morant: 1-4

Without ja morant: 1-0

Go figure, op.

iamgine
12-19-2023, 01:30 AM
Desmond Bane is still really good but JJJ has taken a big step backward. Plus all the other missing guys.

Axe
12-19-2023, 01:34 AM
If that's not enough to convince you, then let's take a look at a more past 21/22 regular season.

With ja '2022 league mvp' morant: 36-21 (52-win pace)

Without ja '2022 league mvp' morant: 20-5 (66-win pace)

Also, let's not forget that dillon brooks isn't playing for the grizzlies anymore. Shall we?

:roll:

FultzNationRISE
12-19-2023, 01:38 AM
I don't know about that. Ja was a lightning rod for them and their crowd. They look plain and dry without his energy.

Well again their record when he missed time to injury over two different seasons kinda speaks for itself. It wasnt just a couple of games, it was a pretty big sample size.

Obviously theyre not winning this year but there are numerous variables. The fact still remains they did win a bunch without him at one point. So I dont think you can say he’s the single decisive factor as to why theyre losing now.

But as I said, it is better to have him than not have him, especially when youve committed that much money and offensive scheme to him being out there. I just dont think the actual impact is anywhere close to being equatable to the difference in record last year vs this year. Theres a lot more thats going into that.

tpols
12-19-2023, 01:39 AM
Yup... axe Dillon Brooks is the reason for the massive decline. :roll:

FultzNationRISE
12-19-2023, 01:43 AM

In addition to Brooks they also gave up Tyus Jones in the Smart trade who was a nice contributor for them.

Memphis was very much an energy/chemistry oriented team. You lose a couple guys in the offseason, lose morant to suspension, deal with some injuries… given that whole totality it shouldnt be surprising if the results suddenly suffer.

Axe
12-19-2023, 01:46 AM
Not necessarily. But i'm pretty sure that they can be above a play-in team even without morant, which is a good thing. Just saying. :confusedshrug:

Kblaze8855
12-19-2023, 02:11 AM

Your team not being able to play without you isn’t necessarily indicative of innate team lifting ability.

if you put Tim Duncan on a team for three years, or LeBron and Luka on a team for three years I’d be surprised if the Duncan teammates didn’t end up better.

pretty much all NBA players are better than they appear to be while being relegated to watching other people, dribble and being moved around like chess pieces. Guys come in the league as point forwards and retire as spot up shooters who can barely pump fake and drive. That’s been happening before any of the players now were around. Happened to Dennis Scott. players skills do atrophy even on the high levels without use.

when you’re the only reason all your teams offensive possessions work, sure they get a lot worse when you aren’t there but that’s only because your effectiveness makes them worse at basketball. That doesn’t mean it’s necessarily selfish or the wrong way to go when it’s effective, but it does paint a misleading picture when we start simply looking at width and without records.

When your 12 has to beat the next 12 your two through 11 being able to function suggests you aren’t doing so much they lose who they are.

players should strive to have their teams work well enough to do well when they sit down or miss a game. Most coaches just don’t have the job security of somebody like Greg Popovich, who started to transition to playing full team basketball, even at the expense of probably giving away a few games in his teams championship window.

And it won’t always work. But it’s worth a shot.

easy for me to say, though when I don’t have a LeBron, or whoever to just give the ball and let dribble and make all the decisions, so I go to the playoffs every year and make a decent showing.

But given the job security? A lot of these heliocentric players who do it all while teammates watch probably need to chill a bit more so their role players don’t forget that they are some of the baddest players on the planet.

We need more Patty Mills and Norman Powell role players and they’re hard to cultivate.

FultzNationRISE
12-19-2023, 02:31 AM
Your team not being able to play without you isn’t necessarily indicative of innate team lifting ability.

if you put Tim Duncan on a team for three years, or LeBron and Luka on a team for three years I’d be surprised if the Duncan teammates didn’t end up better.

pretty much all NBA players are better than they appear to be while being relegated to watching other people, dribble and being moved around like chess pieces. Guys come in the league as point forwards and retire as spot up shooters who can barely pump fake and drive. That’s been happening before any of the players now were around. Happened to Dennis Scott. players skills do atrophy even on the high levels without use.

when you’re the only reason all your teams offensive possessions work, sure they get a lot worse when you aren’t there but that’s only because your effectiveness makes them worse at basketball. That doesn’t mean it’s necessarily selfish or the wrong way to go when it’s effective, but it does paint a misleading picture when we start simply looking at width and without records.

When your 12 has to beat the next 12 your two through 11 being able to function suggests you aren’t doing so much they lose who they are.

players should strive to have their teams work well enough to do well when they sit down or miss a game. Most coaches just don’t have the job security of somebody like Greg Popovich, who started to transition to playing full team basketball, even at the expense of probably giving away a few games in his teams championship window.

And it won’t always work. But it’s worth a shot.

easy for me to say, though when I don’t have a LeBron, or whoever to just give the ball and let dribble and make all the decisions, so I go to the playoffs every year and make a decent showing.

But given the job security? A lot of these heliocentric players who do it all while teammates watch probably need to chill a bit more so their role players don’t forget that they are some of the baddest players on the planet.

We need more Patty Mills and Norman Powell role players and they’re hard to cultivate.

For sure. It's like when a team loses a celebrated 25 ppg scorer in the offseason, and the next year some people seem legitimately surprised to discover the team is not suddenly scoring 25 points less per game. Other people can score in this league too besides just the all-stars.

Which is my point with Ja. And a lot of guys frankly, who go out with injury and everyone expects the team to fall apart, but it maintains basically the same level. For a team to win in this league it has to be a good team. Nobody is beating an entire team of pro basketball players night after night by themself. Except Lebron. So if a team is winning, it can usually withstand an individual absence here or there because it wouldnt be winning if it wasnt a good team overall.

That said I do think there are a few players whose teams would struggle mightily to tread water in the case of a 20 game or more absence. But it's not as many guys as people think.

Kblaze8855
12-19-2023, 03:44 AM
Which is my point with Ja. And a lot of guys frankly, who go out with injury and everyone expects the team to fall apart, but it maintains basically the same level.

but you’re saying it with the implication that when a team can function when the star misses games, it’s suggests the star isn’t an impact player. That is not always the case. The star might simply not take enough off the table that his teammates don’t learn to function as a team.

Impact isn’t all plus minus and with and without. A lot of teams are full of players who have potential but they don’t meet it while statistically high impact players are dribbling the ball away because analytically if one guy is more effective, you can justify ignoring everybody else.

That guy misses a few games and the team looks like shit initially it isn’t always because he is naturally more impactful. It’s because the coach has decided he is the priority and nobody else needs to grow.

Most coaches can’t afford to be worse than they could be from moment to moment for the greater good of a better more confident team so it’s all about right now.

Makes teams dependent on one star.

Makes them look good when you can say the team sucks without him. But how does it help the team?

if we would acknowledge that it isn’t less impressive when a team can function while a star gets some Gatorade, or misses a game with a family emergency….we might get closer to it being fine to let those guys get some credit.

You talk about how everyone can play but use it as a weapon against players you don’t value.

Have you wondered what the teammates of guys you consider high impact can do if the high impact guy didn’t have the ball all game?

Maybe…his plus/minus drops. But maybe…the team is better?

And isn’t that the point?

Xiao Yao You
12-19-2023, 08:19 AM

Gobert. Jazz sucked when he wasn't playing

Full Court
12-19-2023, 09:56 AM

Yeah, I remember that stinky idiot Axe saying they were better without Morant. :roll:

He just outs himself as an idiot with no understanding of basketball over and over.

Axe
12-19-2023, 10:24 AM
The records before when they were without him actually speak for themselves. Too bad the dumbass jizzrag only has two dead brain cells to comprehend any of this. :oldlol:

ArbitraryWater
12-19-2023, 10:59 AM
NBA is really packed. There are like 4 pushover teams, the rest can ball.

look at the Bulls. 11-17 and actually really dangerous.

It was the same thing last year though but the margins are fine.

tontoz
12-19-2023, 11:14 AM
No more Steven Adams

This

Memphis was 31-15 when Adams got hurt. They were 20-16 the rest of the season.

Full Court
12-19-2023, 12:37 PM
The records before when they were without him actually speak for themselves. Too bad the dumbass jizzrag only has two dead brain cells to comprehend any of this. :oldlol:

Topic #42 that sends the stinky autist into a bitch fit:

JA MORANT

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fimg.bleacherreport.net%2Fimg%2Fim ages%2Fphotos%2F003%2F884%2F911%2Fhi-res-6fb56106d8b26b51d99112c16e452087_crop_exact.jpg%3F w%3D1200%26h%3D1200%26q%3D75&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=062beddaad17fc2bda8127c8b2725e2368f27f83c1c6b1 610a703aab7df3f3ff&ipo=images

Full Court
12-19-2023, 12:37 PM

tpols
12-19-2023, 01:01 PM
20-16 is a hell of a lot better than 6-19.

Tyus Jones is on the 4-22 wizards right now doing nothing and Dillon Brooks is Dillon Brooks.

It's starting to look like Ja mattered.

tpols
12-19-2023, 01:03 PM
And also that math doesn't add up. Adams only played 42 games last year so they couldn't have been 31-15 with him since that adds up to 46 games.

Manny98
12-19-2023, 01:06 PM
Brooks was the heart & soul of that team and he was made to be a scapegoat when the Grizzlies lost

Jaren Jackson is the softest big man in the league, I feel like they lost their identity without Dillon

His impact went way beyond the stat sheet one of the most underrated players in the league

The loss of Adams as well obviously is a factor

tontoz
12-19-2023, 01:14 PM
And also that math doesn't add up. Adams only played 42 games last year so they couldn't have been 31-15 with him since that adds up to 46 games.

They were 31-15 when he had his season ending injury. I didn't look at games prior to that

tpols
12-19-2023, 01:20 PM
They were 31-15 when he had his season ending injury. I didn't look at games prior to that

They were 23-17 without Adams and 28-14 with him. A solid difference but not tremendous. I like Adams. He's an asset to any team he'd be on. But Ja was clearly more of a force. It's like comparing Noah to peak Rose. Noah was nice but Rose was clearly the better player at his peak and they were only contenders when Rose was at his best.

tontoz
12-19-2023, 01:37 PM
They were 23-17 without Adams and 28-14 with him. A solid difference but not tremendous. I like Adams. He's an asset to any team he'd be on. But Ja was clearly more of a force. It's like comparing Noah to peak Rose. Noah was nice but Rose was clearly the better player at his peak and they were only contenders when Rose was at his best.

They just had an 11 game winning streak right before he got hurt. They led the league in offensive rebounding with him then dropped to below average without him. He was getting 5 offensive rebounds per game which led the league. That is hard to replace.

Some of their late season wins were against tanking teams or teams resting their starters. Playoff teams aren't resting their starters in Dec/Jan.

Axe
12-19-2023, 03:55 PM
20-16 is a hell of a lot better than 6-19.

Tyus Jones is on the 4-22 wizards right now doing nothing and Dillon Brooks is Dillon Brooks.

It's starting to look like Ja mattered.
Who said he didn't matter to his damn team? Ofc he does. Just not to the extent of other faces in their respective teams in terms of actual impact. Guys like joker and haliburton impact their own teams more than morant do. Don't be so paranoid about it. (https://i.ibb.co/gDsySW3/IMG-20230603-203842.jpg)

Wardell Curry
12-19-2023, 05:33 PM
http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?514480-Steven-Adams-out-for-the-season&p=14841113&viewfull=1#post14841113

Full Court
12-19-2023, 06:34 PM
Who said he didn't matter to his damn team? Ofc he does. Just not to the extent of other faces in their respective teams in terms of actual impact. Guys like joker and haliburton impact their own teams more than morant do. Don't be so paranoid about it. (https://i.ibb.co/gDsySW3/IMG-20230603-203842.jpg)

:roll: Autistic idiot trying to backtrack now.

Wardell Curry
12-19-2023, 06:42 PM
:roll: Autistic idiot trying to backtrack now.

You don't understand the concept of nuance.

Axe
12-19-2023, 06:55 PM
You don't understand the concept of nuance.
:yaohappy:

Hey, cut him some slack. He only has two brain cells (albeit dead), after all. :oldlol:

FireDavidKahn
12-19-2023, 07:17 PM
No more Steven Adams

Or Tyus jones
Or Brooks
Or Brandon Clarke

Basically, all their good role players from last year are either gone or injured.

Full Court
12-19-2023, 07:27 PM

Hey, cut him some slack. He only has two brain cells (albeit dead), after all. :oldlol:
Not only does Axe

Throw lots of bitch fits

But he also sports

A pair of bitch tits

Axe
12-21-2023, 05:36 PM
Or Tyus jones
Or Brooks
Or Brandon Clarke

Basically, all their good role players from last year are either gone or injured.
Correct. (https://i.ibb.co/gDsySW3/IMG-20230603-203842.jpg)

Full Court
12-21-2023, 06:50 PM
Or Tyus jones
Or Brooks
Or Brandon Clarke

But being without Morant and Adams is what really hurt them.

Full Court
12-21-2023, 07:31 PM

Only dangerous when Lavine's not playing.

Axe
12-21-2023, 09:09 PM
Brooks was the heart & soul of that team and he was made to be a scapegoat when the Grizzlies lost

Jaren Jackson is the softest big man in the league, I feel like they lost their identity without Dillon

His impact went way beyond the stat sheet one of the most underrated players in the league

The loss of Adams as well obviously is a factor
Cosign. (https://i.ibb.co/L0mSP2c/IMG-20230715-055719.jpg)

Full Court
12-21-2023, 10:50 PM

Morant's suspension has been a case study in the IQ of ISH posters.

Axe
12-21-2023, 11:35 PM
This

Memphis was 31-15 when Adams got hurt. They were 20-16 the rest of the season.
Indeed, they are tough with him on the floor. (https://i.ibb.co/5kyj0mV/IMG-20220729-085942.jpg)

Full Court
12-22-2023, 01:07 PM
http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?514480-Steven-Adams-out-for-the-season&p=14841113&viewfull=1#post14841113

Axe
12-22-2023, 01:20 PM
:facepalm (https://i.ibb.co/Tk7MjGg/IMG-20220829-102950.jpg)

Full Court
12-22-2023, 07:05 PM

Axe
12-22-2023, 07:39 PM
Well again their record when he missed time to injury over two different seasons kinda speaks for itself. It wasnt just a couple of games, it was a pretty big sample size.

Obviously theyre not winning this year but there are numerous variables. The fact still remains they did win a bunch without him at one point. So I dont think you can say he’s the single decisive factor as to why theyre losing now.

But as I said, it is better to have him than not have him, especially when youve committed that much money and offensive scheme to him being out there. I just dont think the actual impact is anywhere close to being equatable to the difference in record last year vs this year. Theres a lot more thats going into that.
True. (https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTgJlaYykOeriV0g-CmztDbyLIB7OzQHuDISg&usqp=CAU)

Full Court
12-22-2023, 09:20 PM

True.

Axe
12-22-2023, 09:42 PM

Nice. (https://i.ibb.co/g4tnXnv/IMG-20230626-052542.jpg)

Full Court
12-22-2023, 11:21 PM

It's getting harder and harder for Lebron to stack a team. Too much super team competition.

Axe
12-23-2023, 12:09 AM
For sure. It's like when a team loses a celebrated 25 ppg scorer in the offseason, and the next year some people seem legitimately surprised to discover the team is not suddenly scoring 25 points less per game. Other people can score in this league too besides just the all-stars.

Which is my point with Ja. And a lot of guys frankly, who go out with injury and everyone expects the team to fall apart, but it maintains basically the same level. For a team to win in this league it has to be a good team. Nobody is beating an entire team of pro basketball players night after night by themself. Except Lebron. So if a team is winning, it can usually withstand an individual absence here or there because it wouldnt be winning if it wasnt a good team overall.

That said I do think there are a few players whose teams would struggle mightily to tread water in the case of a 20 game or more absence. But it's not as many guys as people think.
Fair enough. (https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTmbOtuqJMp3EQExdTp47ssNMsQXEcmO yLsfA&usqp=CAU)

nayte
12-23-2023, 07:45 AM
Lot of rubbish in this thread. You all were saying how they were better off without Ja. Now it's such and such is out and him and him too.
Noone here can admit when they are wrong lol

Full Court
12-23-2023, 01:32 PM
Lot of rubbish in this thread. You all were saying how they were better off without Ja. Now it's such and such is out and him and him too.

Yep, exactly. This thread definitely highlights who the idiots are around here. :lol

tpols
12-23-2023, 01:41 PM

There 2-0 since Morants return against two playoff teams but have a rough schedule ahead.

It's obvious that Ja attracts so much attention that it allows Bane and JJJ to be open. They just had some of their best games of the season with him back.

Oh... and he did this his 1st game back.

https://youtu.be/q7CoKXmtqts?si=pomU39PJK3FI66hz

tpols
12-23-2023, 01:59 PM
And BTW...

Memphis was down 22 points in that game. ^^^

And Ja literally put the team on his back, brought them back into the game, and hit a buzzer beater on 3 defenders.

This is is the type of shit you can't quantify. He brings energy and a winning spirit to the team. NBA is a joke to suspend him for 25 games... they basically ruined a whole year season for the Grizzlies who were a true up and coming team.

Axe
12-23-2023, 04:22 PM
Well, they badly need him more than ever now with adams not being guaranteed for any return this season. But the latter's impact will surely be missed. (https://i.ibb.co/wrNN1mx/IMG-20220626-013823.jpg)

Full Court
12-23-2023, 06:38 PM
Well, they badly need him more than ever now with adams not being guaranteed for any return this season. But the latter's impact will surely be missed. (https://i.ibb.co/wrNN1mx/IMG-20220626-013823.jpg)

STILL trying to backtrack after saying the Grizzlies were better without him.

We remember, stinky. We remember.

Axe
12-23-2023, 11:35 PM
NBA is a joke to suspend him for 25 games... they basically ruined a whole year season for the Grizzlies who were a true up and coming team.
He brought it upon himself. It's weird how you kobe stans try to prop up other players as if they're truly elite all of a sudden. (https://i.ibb.co/g4tnXnv/IMG-20230626-052542.jpg)

Full Court
12-24-2023, 12:40 AM

He also seems to be a lightning rod for triggering Bronies. :confusedshrug:

Axe
12-24-2023, 12:51 AM
There 2-0 since Morants return against two playoff teams but have a rough schedule ahead.

It's obvious that Ja attracts so much attention that it allows Bane and JJJ to be open. They just had some of their best games of the season with him back.

Not a complete team without steven adams whatsoever. (https://i.ibb.co/wrNN1mx/IMG-20220626-013823.jpg)

Full Court
12-24-2023, 10:47 AM

An MVP level player for sure.

1987_Lakers
12-24-2023, 11:05 AM
Too bad Ja lost in the 1st round last year to an injured LeBron. :oldlol:

tpols
12-24-2023, 01:06 PM

Morant was the one who was hurt missing games while Lebron played full time, didn't miss anything.

You guys are wierdos how you blatantly lie. Lebron had a nice playoff run last year, he literally put up his prime averages and played every game.

Axe
12-24-2023, 02:56 PM
:roll: (https://i.ibb.co/Tk7MjGg/IMG-20220829-102950.jpg)

Full Court
12-24-2023, 05:33 PM

Yeah, it was disappointing that he lost to the super team. But then LeShrivel got swepted later, so it's all good.

Axe
12-24-2023, 08:02 PM
Morant was the one who was hurt missing games while Lebron played full time, didn't miss anything.

You guys are wierdos how you blatantly lie. Lebron had a nice playoff run last year, he literally put up his prime averages and played every game.
Surely the grizzlies didn't win that one game he missed in the first round, no? Dumb dumb. (https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRPZqPRPHIF2xVI5uiUFQ7DcZyo3SNqM MQAlw&usqp=CAU)

BarberSchool
12-25-2023, 11:57 AM
7th worst rebounding team in the league.
Decent shot blocking but poor post defense.

Without Adams there, it really makes Jaren Jackson’s shot blocking attempts far more consequential if they fail. And even when Jackson jr is focused on rebounding instead of shot blocking, he’s a very poor rebounder for his great height/length. Lacks the instinct/gene for banging bodies and physicality. Terrifically gifted player. But soft against others frontcourt players. Needs to train in some sort of wrestling/grappling discipline.

Aldama and Biyombo aren’t bangers inside either. Biyombo is very long with good deltoid & hand strength, but the way he moves on his toes, and his hip/leg structure… he has no physical force in his strides and positioning. He routinely gets pushed around.

Also, no more Brooks to frustrate/tire the other team’s best scorer. Smart is a great defender, and Roddy has some decent strength/size, but Brooks was both of those together in one taller/longer player.

Long story short, their two most physically impactful players from the past, aren’t playing in Memphis this season. Maybe Brandon Clarke can get more minutes ? He isn’t huge but had good motor and played bigger than his height rebounding wise.

Xiao Yao You
12-25-2023, 12:03 PM
Clarke will help. I imagine they will be looking for others at deadline/buyouts