PDA

View Full Version : D'Angelo Russell defines what it means to not "get it" for a new generation.

Real Men Wear Green
12-24-2023, 09:50 AM
https://heavy.com/sports/los-angeles-lakers/dangelo-russell-benched/

“If I’m not making shots, they’re going to depend on me just to get a stop. That’s where I work, that’s where I try to be better, but it’s not what I do. Doing that is an extra, and it’s where my focus is, but knowing what I do, that’s something that I know as well,” Russell told reporters after the Lakers’ 118-111 loss to his former team, Minnesota Timberwolves.

Someone apparently paid no attention to what happened to Jabari Parker. He needs to understand what he is, what his talent level actually makes him. In the preseason I recall him saying he wanted to be like Derrick White. And they are on a similar tier offensively. But White averages ĺl0over a block a game. White is an All-D player to go along with being a good shooter that can score more points for the Celtics when it's needed. He doesn't just view defense as a chore, it's something that he wants to do. For Russell to help the Lakers win a championship defense can't be treated like his mom just told him to do thep dishes. But instead he has an attitude like he's Luka Doncic, as if he's such a great offensive player that defense is "extra." Maybe he doesn't realize that he's not the star, he's a complimentary player and guys like him can't be the weak link defensively.

Xiao Yao You
12-24-2023, 09:52 AM
he doesn't realize it. He was a big reason for the Wolves problems last year. They replaced him with someone who gets it and they are thriving

90sgoat
12-24-2023, 10:36 AM
Yeah, it's the disease of the high draft pick in a slow year.

He got all the hype in college because there wasn't a lot of talent otherwise and has failed to understand that hype isn't real.

How I see him is essentially a 6th man offense of the bench type, but he has to bring energy, even if he isn't bringing defense, and that's more of his issue. If you see someone like Tim Hardaway Junior for Mavs, he sucks bad at defense, but he brings energy on both sides and that provides a spark. Russell on the other hand seems as if he wants the game to slow down for him, instead of him speeding up the game.

1987_Lakers
12-24-2023, 10:51 AM
I said it in the offseason that we should have kept Schroder instead of Russell. Watching the Lakers last season he was the only one who often went away from team basketball, often taking dumb shots, not providing much defense. Schroder was a dog.

Full Court
12-24-2023, 10:56 AM
Well that attitude isn't any different from Lebron's, who spends 3/4 of the game being a defensive statue.

1987_Lakers
12-24-2023, 11:03 AM
Well that attitude isn't any different from Lebron's, who spends 3/4 of the game being a defensive statue.

He's actually a more impactful defender than Russell and with LeBron's age and the responsibilities he has on offense, it's understandable for him to save energy on defense. This isn't really a new concept, Phil Jackson would always put Kobe on the weaker offensive player in order for him to save energy and he would constantly get called out by fans for his lack of effort, Phil did the same to MJ during the 2nd 3 peat.

1987_Lakers
12-24-2023, 11:07 AM
Where is Bison? He was constantly sucking off Russell.

FireDavidKahn
12-24-2023, 11:14 AM
I guess the Lakers are the ones holding him back :roll:

We tried to warn y'all this off-season and you guys didn't listen

ELITEpower23
12-24-2023, 11:17 AM

It was only a matter of time before you couldn't keep Bron out of your mouth :lol Typical Bronie groupie.

90sgoat
12-24-2023, 11:19 AM
Schroder was a dog.

It's strange that Schroder hasn't find a good situation, considering how important he was for Germany in becoming FIBA World Champs.

I guess people consider him too small to be a starting point guard on a winning team, but you should be able to build around that. Someone like Heat or GSW should be a good fit and Spurs to match with Wemby.

Xiao Yao You
12-24-2023, 11:28 AM
It's strange that Schroder hasn't find a good situation, considering how important he was for Germany in becoming FIBA World Champs.

I guess people consider him too small to be a starting point guard on a winning team, but you should be able to build around that. Someone like Heat or GSW should be a good fit and Spurs to match with Wemby.

he's not a starter ideally

90sgoat
12-24-2023, 11:47 AM
he's not a starter ideally

The same could be said for Tony Parker? I doubt Parker would have been a starter anywhere else but Spurs.

Schroder is a fighter and if the German FIBA team are ok with him being team lead, then some NBA team should also be cool with it, but you have to build around him, like you did with Spurs.

Indian guy
12-24-2023, 12:58 PM
You basically have to watch 1 game of DLo to understand why he's been shunted around from team to team his whole career. I don't even think bad defense is his biggest issue. It's his incredibly low bball IQ, which somehow gets progressively worse when the game gets even slightly intense. And I'm talking about a random regular season game in December. It's one thing to be a player of limited physical ability, which is what he is, but it's quite another to be a player who just consistently falls apart mentally. I'm pretty sure the sole reason he was starting was to raise his trade value. He is the worst starting PG in the league otherwise. And we'll all be shocked if he's a Laker past the deadline.

Xiao Yao You
12-24-2023, 01:58 PM
The same could be said for Tony Parker? I doubt Parker would have been a starter anywhere else but Spurs.

Schroder is a fighter and if the German FIBA team are ok with him being team lead, then some NBA team should also be cool with it, but you have to build around him, like you did with Spurs.

Schroder has been best off the bench in the NBA. FIBA isn't the NBA

FultzNationRISE
12-24-2023, 01:59 PM
Lebron literally won a grueling IST with this dude in the starting lineup.

Let that sink in.

MrFonzworth
12-24-2023, 02:08 PM
Not what the Lakers want to hear from their valuable prospect.

3ba11
12-24-2023, 03:58 PM
https://heavy.com/sports/los-angeles-lakers/dangelo-russell-benched/

Someone apparently paid no attention to what happened to Jabari Parker. He needs to understand what he is, what his talent level actually makes him. In the preseason I recall him saying he wanted to be like Derrick White. And they are on a similar tier offensively. But White averages ĺl0over a block a game. White is an All-D player to go along with being a good shooter that can score more points for the Celtics when it's needed. He doesn't just view defense as a chore, it's something that he wants to do. For Russell to help the Lakers win a championship defense can't be treated like his mom just told him to do thep dishes. But instead he has an attitude like he's Luka Doncic, as if he's such a great offensive player that defense is "extra." Maybe he doesn't realize that he's not the star, he's a complimentary player and guys like him can't be the weak link defensively.

it would help if Russell had an example to follow from a team leader, but he doesn't.. If the team leader is lapsing on defense, than everyone will.. It's starts at the top

Real Men Wear Green
12-24-2023, 04:39 PM
it would help if Russell had an example to follow from a team leader, but he doesn't.. If the team leader is lapsing on defense, than everyone will.. It's starts at the top

**** you.

Full Court
12-24-2023, 05:37 PM
It was only a matter of time before you couldn't keep Bron out of your mouth :lol Typical Bronie groupie.

Truth hurts, doesn't it?

:lebronamazed:

Full Court
12-24-2023, 05:37 PM
He's actually a more impactful defender than Russell and with LeBron's age and the responsibilities he has on offense, it's understandable for him to save energy on defense. This isn't really a new concept, Phil Jackson would always put Kobe on the weaker offensive player in order for him to save energy and he would constantly get called out by fans for his lack of effort, Phil did the same to MJ during the 2nd 3 peat.

If you mean more impactful in that he goes for a block now and then, I'll grant you that. But generally speaking Lebron and Russell are equally worthless on defense.

Full Court
12-24-2023, 05:38 PM
**** you.

He's not wrong though....

Real Men Wear Green
12-24-2023, 06:36 PM
He's not wrong though....

Russell is an adult. But you can join 3ba11 in the dumbassery.

RRR3
12-24-2023, 07:07 PM
:roll:

Thought he was slick with the "banned" user title :yaohappy:

Jasper
12-24-2023, 07:15 PM
russell will be in a new uni March 2024

ArbitraryWater
12-24-2023, 07:25 PM

Parker is miles better than Schröder and Schröder is nice.

Maybe not miles but significantly better.

Wardell Curry
12-24-2023, 07:41 PM

Two worst posters on the board with one thread. Too bad you guys don't hand out permas. They do not add to this place.

RRR3
12-24-2023, 07:57 PM
Two worst posters on the board with one thread. Too bad you guys don't hand out permas. They do not add to this place.
3ball at least can string a sentence together. Full Court seems like someone who would not be trusted to use machinery.

ILLsmak
12-24-2023, 08:01 PM
Parker is miles better than Schröder and Schröder is nice.

Maybe not miles but significantly better.

yea I'm surprised nobody else picked up on that. lol. Parker starts on almost every team, and even if he didn't, he'd be playing 30 min off the bench. Parker is a hall of famer, an all-nba guy at his best. DAFAQ U MEAN is the correct answer to that.

-Smak

Wardell Curry
12-24-2023, 08:03 PM
3ball at least can string a sentence together. Full Court seems like someone who would not be trusted to use machinery.

True. The problem isn't 3ball's arguments or his stance. The problem is the fact that he hasn't stopped saying slight variations of the same thing for 13,000 posts.

Full Court comes off as someone that's barely coherent and always has drool dribbling down his chin.

SATAN
12-25-2023, 12:57 AM

This. I've been playing (not now, getting old) and watching basketball for decades but I won't even entertain the thought of going into detail about any of it so long as these idiots are allowed here. Probably the same for many other posters.

Mods? Can you just permanently delete the accounts and block the IPs or something? :confusedshrug:

ImKobe
12-25-2023, 05:09 AM
Meh it's not 2013.. PGs get torched all the time, even the ones known for being "stoppers". Dlo has a veteran's game and his skillset will allow him to earn a salary in the league until his mid-30s.

WhiteKyrie
12-25-2023, 05:26 AM

True but at least he has the longevity in the résumé to develop such a delusional level of narcissism and self-worth today, even if it isn’t close to what it used to be

**** you.

Why exactly did you have an emotional reaction to that? Are you like a Boston Celtics and closet LeBron fan? What he’s saying is true

Axe
12-25-2023, 06:24 AM
^^Meltdown.

Real Men Wear Green
12-25-2023, 07:09 AM
True but at least he has the longevity in the résumé to develop such a delusional level of narcissism and self-worth today, even if it isn’t close to what it used to be

Why exactly did you have an emotional reaction to that? Are you like a Boston Celtics and closet LeBron fan? What he’s saying is true

**** you. Merry Christmas.

ShawkFactory
12-25-2023, 10:45 AM

So DLo is a bad defender because of Lebron?

Axe
12-25-2023, 03:47 PM
**** you. Merry Christmas.
:lol