PDA

View Full Version : The 80/20 rule in the NBA

bdonovan
12-26-2023, 04:59 AM
80% of the fanbase and many nba journalists are casual fans (but for different reasons). They view the NBA as 'entertainment'. They want be wow'd like going to a movie or the circus.

Isolation Offense IS the coin of the realm for entertainment-driven fans. They LOVE to see a ball-handler cross-over and break his opponent's ankles, dart to the rim and dunk the ball. The more spectacular the ISO, the better.

ESPN and all the TV/web outlets covering the game- ISO offense makes up the vast majority of highlights which is how most people follow the game (except their home team). Basketball journalists don't have time to watch all 30 teams; so they watch some, and use highlights to determine who the best players are. They become casuals for lack of time; and having to comment on too wide a spectrum that they can't possibly follow.

20% of the fanbase views the NBA as a "competition". Meaning they don't need to get a dopamine hit from a sensational offensive play. They don't just ball-watch for amusement; they observe all facets of the game- Team Offense, Team Defense, Individual Defense, and Individual Offense. They are not mere points-humpers but realize 50-80% of the game is off the ball. They know defense isn't really captured in a meaningful way by stats. They care about what takes to win, they dwell on the unsexy things it takes to stop the opponent, or what it takes to get higher quality shots. The people they resemble most are the NBA coaches - who also necessarily care about what it takes to win, not entertaining.

Some players know better, but choose to be entertainers because they know 80% of the fanbase and virtually all of the NBA media values that. They take plays off on defense, so they can be turbo-charged on offense on the other end. They don't help out their teammates so they can seem even better in comparison. They know they can get a big contract and a shoe deal, even if their team doesn't win. When people buy sneakers, the aspiration is they want to blow by their defender and score, not get the shoes of someone who sets good screens, passes well, or provides crucial help defense.

SATAN
12-26-2023, 05:53 AM
You are absolutely spot on. I realized this while talking to a couple of friends (they are LeBron haters btw) recently. They have no idea what they are talking about and barely even watch basketball, not like many of us here do anyway. We are pretty much addicted to the game in comparison. Even when I said something real like "KG said LeBron is the GOAT recently" (said because one of those friends is a Boston fan who holds a grudge against LeBron) he simply told me it never happened. Like, wtf man? lol

It's actually crazy how ignorant people can be. This happens with so much other stuff too.

We live in an era where many people shit on the opinions of people who spend their lives studying certain fields of whatever. People have no self awareness.

bdonovan
12-26-2023, 06:12 AM
You are absolutely spot on. I realized this while talking to a couple of friends (they are LeBron haters btw) recently. They have no idea what they are talking about and barely even watch basketball, not like many of us here do anyway. We are pretty much addicted to the game in comparison. Even when I said something real like "KG said LeBron is the GOAT recently" (said because one of those friends is a Boston fan who holds a grudge against LeBron) he simply told me it never happened. Like, wtf man? lol

It's actually crazy how ignorant people can be. This happens with so much other stuff too.

We live in an era where many people shit on the opinions of people who spend their lives studying certain fields of whatever. People have no self awareness.

"I didn't hear of it, which means it never happened!1!1!!"

We live in a time where people think Confidence > Competence. We've always had an element of that but it's spiraled out of control.

I don't even bother anymore. I probably would have stopped talking about basketball online or offline if I hadn't found this place. Sports conversations quickly become emotional and irrational, with people clinging to minute facts which support their argument and disregarding the rest. Just like politics.

Your story reminds me of many years encountering a LeBron-hater when I was living in Seattle. The Warriors back then (this was around 2013) had been eliminated already so for the fun of it, I rooted for LeBron and the Heat for lack of a team to root for.

I didn't have a TV so I went down to the common room in the building where they had one. Sure enough, this other guy in the building is there- he's this short, overweight surly type of person. It's hard to enjoy the game because he keeps criticizing James the entire time.

Finally I ask him what his problem was. He said "I like smart players; LeBron just uses his strength". I pointed out how LeBron is a great passer, has court awareness. He basically admitted that the reason he dislikes LeBron is that he was bullied by people who looked like him growing up.

I began to realize that who people like or dislike depends a lot more on their insecurities than anything about basketball. It's just a theater for people's emotions.

Real Men Wear Green
12-26-2023, 06:57 AM
There are fans that don't watch the NBA for entertainment?

bdonovan
12-26-2023, 07:55 AM

To answer your question let me ask you a question: Would you rather watch a Jake Paul boxing match against a former UFC fighter or would you rather watch two skilled boxers go at it?

it's whether you appreciate skill or spectacle.

Real Men Wear Green
12-26-2023, 08:36 AM
To answer your question let me ask you a question: Would you rather watch a Jake Paul boxing match against a former UFC fighter or would you rather watch two skilled boxers go at it?

it's whether you appreciate skill or spectacle.

Jake Paul, no. But the last boxing ppv I paid for was McGregor vs. Mayweather and no nba team is the basketball equivalent of Jake Paul. People watch sports to be entertained, you aren't getting anything more out of a basketball game whether or not you imagine there is a deeper meaning. Isolation offense is fine if that's the best way a coach and team can come with. And if it's not they will lose. The need to compete and keep jobs dictates such things.

John8204
12-26-2023, 03:04 PM
I get it...regular season NBA is kinda meh. Baseball is everyday during the summer, football is Sunday and every game matters, college basketball has 4 weeks of glory. NBA doesn't really get interesting until May/June. Why should fans take the regular season seriously when the stars don't?

Round Mound
12-26-2023, 03:09 PM
Not even coaching exists in today's nba. Everyone is a star. Can't wait for the 4-pointline. More reasons to watch older nba games and highlights.

Carbine
12-26-2023, 03:19 PM
80/20 Is being extremely.generous.

It's likely 95/5

Jasper
12-26-2023, 04:34 PM

did u watch bron and lakers x-mas day ???

what percentage am I when I watched the Lakers and the last 2+ minutes down by 10 pull Lebron.. a couple of defensive stops and they could of at least tied the game....
55 seconds left , their body movements told Boston to run out the clock -'we're done'

teams that don't give 100% deserves their weak ass fan base.

bison
12-26-2023, 06:39 PM

i watch it to study and appreciate the male physical form. dont sleep on the nba. some of these men are exceptionally good looking.

SATAN
12-26-2023, 07:24 PM
did u watch bron and lakers x-mas day ???

Yes. Was a good game until it wasn't. LeBron was pretty bad.

Real Men Wear Green
12-26-2023, 08:22 PM
i watch it to study and appreciate the male physical form. dont sleep on the nba. some of these men are exceptionally good looking.

Satisfying your homosexual urges is a form of entertainment.

ILLsmak
12-27-2023, 01:30 AM

It's likely 95/5

That and the NBA is in such a state that viewing it as not entertainment, as in real competition, it's hard to even get into it. People talk about why Bron is getting hype as the GOAT, but it's just new fans. New fans dunno shit in general. Then the old fans, y'know your elders who are like "he traveled" (and he did lol) every time dude's make a move... those guys are dying out and they don't give a shit about the NBA anymore, either.

It's not just a fan thing, it's that the nba really IS entertainment and not competition.

You gotta be in some weird space to even be trying to extract a fair competitive game from what they are showing.

-Smak

Round Mound
12-27-2023, 06:50 PM

It's likely 95/5

Just like the dating and sex game.