PDA

View Full Version : How do terrible teams evaluate the value of their players?

beasted
12-27-2023, 01:11 AM
It feels like this season more than others we have a very top heavy league with roughly 4 teams that have absolutely no shot at a play in, and are comfortably focused on a rebuild based on their off season moves and cap position: Detroit, San Antonio, Portland, Washington.

These are another set of probably 4 teams that came into the season with expectations/desire of being a playoff/play in team and have failed so far: Charlotte, Memphis, Toronto, Utah.

I'm more focused on the latter. As fans, we sometimes look at the league in binary results. Either you are a contender or you should be rebuilding. My question is, how does a team like Charlotte on a 7 game losing streak view the caliber of a Terry Rozier type player? A Miles Bridges type player, a Gordon Hayward? Does Toronto value Siakam as a superstar and want multiple firsts and a good rookie?

Are they like the delusional private car seller selling his "baby"? 2010 Jeep Wrangler, lift kit, AEM cold air intake, brembo brakes 165k miles $25K OBO, no lowballers I know what I have.

Like, no, delusional sir, you don't know the value of what you have. You think because you've added a few aftermarket parts to a high mileage POS, that someone should pay new car prices.

Following that analogy, do losing teams highly value players posting "empty stats" for terrible teams? Would they want multiple first rounders for these guys? Do they falsely believe they will add one rookie in the draft and suddenly the core will be off to the races with winning (similar to Orlando, kinda)?

I ask this again because I don't typically see treadmill teams trading away these caliber of guys and fully committing to a rebuild. It's like they are clinging to a lost cause inflating the value until they get fired.