PDA

View Full Version : If you're not going to Emphasize Defense, you're not going to Win (Warriors example)

bdonovan
12-31-2023, 05:22 AM
I'm watching the Warriors/Mavs game and I don't know whether to laugh or what.

This is positively hilarious and prove positive Kerr doesn't know how to coach defense.

Adapt

The Mavs run a simple play every time. They screen for Luka with their big man and then switch Luka onto Looney (Warriors Center). Luka then drives around him easily or nails a 3.

This has happened like 10 times in a row and the Warriors don't do anything different like trap Luka off the screen. Or rotate Klay back onto Luka. Even the commentators were in disbelief how the Warriors didn't adjust.

Stay on your Man; do NOT over-help

Beyond that you have a laziness that has settled into the Warriors defenders including Steph and Klay. They just let their man wander off. The younger players like Kuminga are now doing the same thing.

The Warriors give up 132 to the Mavericks without Kyrie and at home. Pathetic - and you can't win like that.

Doncic is a great player, he's going to score anyway. But the rest of the Mavs without Kyrie? They let Dante Exum go 8 for 12 and the entire Mavs shot at 56% FG.

You don't play defense by trying to be too cute and ball-watching and obsessing over help defense.

Your first and primary mission is to stick to your man like glue. If you can't do that, go play in China.

You see guys like Podziemski trying to "help" from 10 feet away, neither impacting the ball handler while leaving his man over for 3. That's NOT how you play defense.

You see this lack of discipline even by the Warriors best defender Gary Payton II (best w/Green out)- where he half-doubles the ball handler while leaving his man open; Mavs just pass to Gary's man who drains an open 3.

When trying to reset your defense and play it the right way, try playing solidly with NO help defense. See if you can stay on your man, which they can't right now. Only when you master that, selectively play looser zone type help defense. They key word is: selectively.

Right now the Warriors are just running around randomly trying to offer (failed) help defense and leaving people open.

Last Thoughts

Most people in the NBA don't know how to play defense. There's a small percentage that do. Ron Adams (Warriors former assistant coach) did (technically still an asst. coach but not involved). Draymond Green does.

Steve Kerr does not. I don't think Steph or Klay really know. They may do fine 1:1 but I'm talking overall approach to defense.

The Celtics awhile back were a 50-50 team. One day Tatum and Brown started leading by example on the defensive end. Everything changed. The Warriors were once the #1 team in defense a few years ago. Now they are in the bottom of the pack (#16). Fates can change very fast when you lose your defensive system- even as people try to point out surface-level but incomplete explanations why the Warriors have lost their edge.

90sgoat
12-31-2023, 07:37 AM
You see guys like Podziemski trying to "help" from 10 feet away, neither impacting the ball handler while leaving his man over for 3. That's NOT how you play defense.

This is the worst.

Axe
12-31-2023, 07:43 AM
That falling dynasty can never win without the donkey being involved in the team's games.

90sgoat
12-31-2023, 09:41 AM
That falling dynasty can never win without the donkey being involved in the team's games.

It's kind of sad how quickly the Warriors lost their shine.

ImKobe
12-31-2023, 10:17 AM

Dray is the heart & soul of the team, always has been. If he's really washed it's over.

Xiao Yao You
12-31-2023, 10:30 AM
It's kind of sad how quickly the Warriors lost their shine.

2014-2022 is quite a run. How long did you expect it to go on?

Im Still Ballin
12-31-2023, 10:55 AM

Cutting them short a little! 2012-13 was the breakout season. They actually showed some promise for stretches of the 2011-12 lockout-shortened season. That was year one of the Mark Jackson era. Sometimes we forget the Warriors were playing great basketball as early as 2012.

Jasper
12-31-2023, 11:43 AM
I'm watching the Warriors/Mavs game and I don't know whether to laugh or what.
Last Thoughts

Most people in the NBA don't know how to play defense.

and what you do ???
Its the coachs that have to emphasize to play , you must play defense.

90sgoat
12-31-2023, 12:29 PM

I forgot about 2022 :facepalm

Axe
12-31-2023, 12:47 PM
Dray is the heart & soul of the team, always has been. If he's really washed it's over.
His playmaking has been elite since even before, no matter how much he became a liability in offense. Too bad he often lets his emotions get in the way.

Xiao Yao You
12-31-2023, 01:28 PM
Cutting them short a little! 2012-13 was the breakout season. They actually showed some promise for stretches of the 2011-12 lockout-shortened season. That was year one of the Mark Jackson era. Sometimes we forget the Warriors were playing great basketball as early as 2012.

we don't forget that they needed a new coach and some work on the roster