PDA

View Full Version : Report: Washington Wizards Expected to Make Kyle Kuzma Available in Trade Talks

beasted
01-02-2024, 11:22 PM
It has been expected that the Washington Wizards would make the veterans on their roster available by the deadline.

While it is not much of a surprise, it is still notable that Brett Siegel of ClutchPoints reported that league sources told ClutchPoints the Wizards are making Kyle Kuzma available for trade.

The cost reported: Washington is asking for multiple first-round picks back.

That would be a good haul and certainly be worth it for the Wizards.

Kuzma just signed a four year 102 million dollar contract this off season with Washington.

One team to watch for Kuzma according to Siegel is the Indiana Pacers.
https://www.si.com/nba/wizards/news/report-washington-wizards-expected-to-make-kyle-kuzma-available-in-trade-talks

Buyer's remorse? Proven he's a low IQ starting-caliber combo forward. He reminds me a lot of JR Smith in that when locked in he's a two-way player. But the times when all the stars align is too infrequent.

Proctor
01-02-2024, 11:27 PM
Kinda a douche but a really damn good 6th man he would be.

FultzNationRISE
01-02-2024, 11:27 PM
I swear to Jesus if the Lakers front office does not make a ****ing move here I will go to Pelinka's office on some Boys From Brownsville showin up to see Joe 'The Boss' Masseria type shit for REAL.

DONT **** THIS UP, ROB.

And dont get me wrong, Lakers need to make a lot bigger moves than this. But at least get Kuzma first. And then get even better players.

Lebron doesnt need the help, he just won an IST for ****'s sake, but it's just common sense you cant have too much depth in case injuries.

Xiao Yao You
01-02-2024, 11:28 PM
need a report to tell us this? Crappy teams are all selling off their high priced vets if the price is right

tontoz
01-02-2024, 11:29 PM
https://www.si.com/nba/wizards/news/report-washington-wizards-expected-to-make-kyle-kuzma-available-in-trade-talks

Buyer's remorse? Proven he's a low IQ starting-caliber combo forward. He reminds me a lot of JR Smith in that when locked in he's a two-way player. But the times when all the stars align is too infrequent.

I don't think it is buyers remorse at all. They resigned him to a descending deal so they could get something for him later. All their vets are available for trade.

beasted
01-03-2024, 12:05 AM
I don't think it is buyers remorse at all. They resigned him to a descending deal so they could get something for him later. All their vets are available for trade.

That's possible. But let me ask you this: If the plan was to trade him all along, why not just sign and trade him in the summer?

The narrative from the start of their off-season even before trading KP and Beal was fairly loud and clear that we have all intentions to re-sign him. Then after they traded Beal and KP, there was not even a hint of a rumor of a sign and trade. I don't think you put out that strong of a message unless you really genuinely believe there was plans to make him a long term cog. And if so, what changed in just a few short months?

tontoz
01-03-2024, 09:14 AM
That's possible. But let me ask you this: If the plan was to trade him all along, why not just sign and trade him in the summer?

The narrative from the start of their off-season even before trading KP and Beal was fairly loud and clear that we have all intentions to re-sign him. Then after they traded Beal and KP, there was not even a hint of a rumor of a sign and trade. I don't think you put out that strong of a message unless you really genuinely believe there was plans to make him a long term cog. And if so, what changed in just a few short months?

Nothing. They probably didn't get any good SNT offers so they resigned him to a reasonable, descending contract. That contract makes him very tradable going forward. They had to pay someone to make the league minimum for team salary.

He has been a positivie guy since he has been here so if he plays a couple more years here that isn't a problem.

Also our rookie Bilal has looked a lot better than expected and is probably ready for a bigger role.

ArbitraryWater
01-03-2024, 09:28 AM
Kuzma is having a really good season, so this is weird

Real Men Wear Green
01-03-2024, 09:29 AM
How funny would it be if the Lakers trade Hachimura, picks and etc. for him?

beasted
01-03-2024, 10:16 AM
Nothing. They probably didn't get any good SNT offers so they resigned him to a reasonable, descending contract. That contract makes him very tradable going forward. They had to pay someone to make the league minimum for team salary.

He has been a positivie guy since he has been here so if he plays a couple more years here that isn't a problem.

Also our rookie Bilal has looked a lot better than expected and is probably ready for a bigger role.

My point wasn't whether they vetted ANY S&T offers because that is clearly unknown and we can only assume they didn't get a great offer.

My position is based off the "known" which is that they shut down any and all talks of a S&T or not keeping Kuzma "immediately". Like, they didn't even let the rumors circle the mill and go through it's paces in team offices. They basically right away and consistently to the public said "we're resigning this guy".

Such a strong stance going opposite in a matter of 6 months isn't common. It might be due to the rookie as you mentioned, but rebuilding teams playing some players out of position isn't unheard of.

tontoz
01-03-2024, 10:25 AM
My point wasn't whether they vetted ANY S&T offers because that is clearly unknown and we can only assume they didn't get a great offer.

My position is based off the "known" which is that they shut down any and all talks of a S&T or not keeping Kuzma "immediately". Like, they didn't even let the rumors circle the mill and go through it's paces in team offices. They basically right away and consistently to the public said "we're resigning this guy".

Such a strong stance going opposite in a matter of 6 months isn't common. It might be due to the rookie as you mentioned, but rebuilding teams playing some players out of position isn't unheard of.

The reality right now is that the roster is unbalanced, in addition to being just bad. We have an excess of forwards. Kuzma's minutes and usage are cutting into the opportunities of our young guys.

I think most people assumed Bilal was a project who wasn't ready to contribute significantly. In fact he is already a very good defender who is shooting 40% from 3. Pretty sure nobody saw that coming.

Having Kuzma around has given Bilal someone to learn the ropes from but it looks like Kuzma is getting carried away with the green light he has. In the last two games he's taken 53 shots.

And of course it is entirely possible that Kuzma has privately expressed that he doesn't want to spend his prime on a rebuilding team. He might not have voiced that when he was trying to negotiate a new contract.

Wally450
01-03-2024, 10:27 AM
Is he good? Can the Lakers get him?

Real Men Wear Green
01-03-2024, 10:54 AM
Washington is 6-26. It wouldn't make sense for him to be untouchable.

tontoz
01-03-2024, 11:12 AM
Bilal showing off his mid-range game in practice. Haven't seen this is games much because his usage is so low.

https://twitter.com/chasedcsports/status/1742316614089867293?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5 Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1742316614089867293%7Ctwgr% 5E3aa499728948432de4ea6ffa3adaf2e0a6a801d4%7Ctwcon %5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fforums.realgm.com%2Fboards%2 Fviewtopic.php%3Ft%3D2301039start%3D280

beasted
01-03-2024, 11:30 AM
Is he good? Can the Lakers get him?

He's more or less the player he's always been which is a "good starter" caliber player. Not an all-star, and not a 2nd option. Probably a 16-17 PPG player on a playoff team.

He's very slightly overpaid this year, but his contract gets better with time.