PDA

View Full Version : The MVP

ArbitraryWater
01-04-2024, 07:07 PM
https://i.gyazo.com/8818234d89ad3572e94eee48783fcd2c.png

Not sure what his obsession with scoring 39 is.

Dude needs to realize that once you get to that point, theres no shame in "padding" a basket or 2 more for the greater mark. He doesnt care about the 40/50 pt marks at all. He was even super reluctant about the 50 against Phoenix. Dude sad on 48 for a couple minutes just passing the ball away and then asked his teammates if he should get 50.... tf? Had 49 against the Nets on GD 2 and gave the clinching FTs to someone else instead of taking them.

Youd never see Kobe score 39. When he had 38 or 39 he knew he had to get one more.

Xiao Yao You
01-04-2024, 07:08 PM
more respect to him. they are just numbers

fourkicks44
01-04-2024, 07:33 PM
And he doesn't chase the opposition's team staff down hallways for games balls either.

dazzer87
01-04-2024, 07:51 PM
And play ZERO defense…….:sleeping:sleeping:sleeping:

basketballcat
01-04-2024, 08:01 PM
And play ZERO defense…….:sleeping:sleeping:sleeping:

By that logic, Kawhi deserved the MVP over Steph in 2016. Did he?

In fact, by that logic Curry, Nash, Harden, Dirk, and Iverson should have never won the MVP.

FultzNationRISE
01-04-2024, 08:02 PM
Because of the voter emphasis on team record I suspect Luka is more likely to win the silly, summer camp-esque “clutch award.”

Especially since nobody will feel like they have to justify his team record, defense or ball dominance etc for that award, even tho he does play better defense than casuals realize.

basketballcat
01-04-2024, 08:38 PM
..., even tho he does play better defense than casuals realize.
Doncic does have better spg and bpg than Tatum, higher spg than Halliburton and just 0.1 behind on bpg.

It's because he's white isn't it? That's why casuals clown him for defense.

Jokic's spg and blg is actually not that far from Giannis, yet he is another player that casuals label as "no defense".
Jokic: 1.1spg 0.9bpg
Giannis: 1.4spg 1.2bpg
In fact, Jokic leads the league in defensive box +/-.

tontoz
01-04-2024, 08:42 PM
I've watched Dallas several times and I've seen doncic make a lot of good defensive plays. He has enough size that you can put him on a big without him getting bullied, and he anticipates well. He seems to be in better shape this year and his effort has been better on D.

Xiao Yao You
01-04-2024, 08:42 PM
Doncic does have better spg and bpg than Tatum, higher spg than Halliburton and just 0.1 behind on bpg.

Jokic's spg and blg is actually not that far from Giannis, yet he is another player that casuals label as "no defense".
Jokic: 1.1spg 0.9bpg
Giannis: 1.4spg 1.2bpg
In fact, Jokic leads the league in defensive box +/-.

steals and blocks don't tell you rather a guy plays D or not

basketballcat
01-04-2024, 08:47 PM
steals and blocks don't tell you rather a guy plays D or not

Yeah, coz those stats are offensive numbers. :kobe:

Axe
01-04-2024, 08:48 PM
:oldlol:

Xiao Yao You
01-04-2024, 08:55 PM

:facepalm

fourkicks44
01-04-2024, 09:10 PM
Because of the voter emphasis on team record I suspect Luka is more likely to win the silly, summer camp-esque “clutch award.”

Especially since nobody will feel like they have to justify his team record, defense or ball dominance etc for that award, even tho he does play better defense than casuals realize.

Yeah but without a better team record, Luka has legitimately no argument over Embiid for MVP.

Embiid is better on both ends of the court and more efficient.

If Luka gets a 1 or 2 seed or at least a better record than any team in then East other than Boston then he really does get some separation in his case for MVP that voters wont be able to ignore.

That said the voters are retards so god knows what they are thinking.

tontoz
01-04-2024, 09:18 PM
Yeah but without a better team record, Luka has legitimately no argument over Embiid for MVP.

If Luka gets a 1 or 2 seed or at least a better record than any team in then East other than Boston then he really does get some separation in his case for MVP that voters wont be able to ignore.

Those retards voted him the MVP last year :oldlol:

The 65 game minimum might be a problem for Embiid.

SATAN
01-04-2024, 09:26 PM
Nice try, OP. :lol

FultzNationRISE
01-04-2024, 09:32 PM

Partly. I dont think it's malicious, peoples minds are just wired for patterns. We also tend to associate defense with quickness which Luka is not well known for, even though there's more to it than that. Zach Randolph had a reputation for bad defense mainly because he looked chubby and slow, even though his long arms and stout center of gravity made him less of a liability than his reputation suggested.

But once a narrative gets out there, it tends to stick.

fourkicks44
01-04-2024, 09:32 PM
Those retards voted him the MVP last year :oldlol:

The 65 game minimum might be a problem for Embiid.

And as you well know I have said numerous times that Jokic deserved it more last year, while Embiid got screwed the year before by the voters.

Anyway, I'm only looking at things as they stand at this point at the season, it's highly possible Joel doesn't qualify for consideration but the point I make is team record in the regular season matters for Luka.

One can't rely on winning the award by default because other players don't play enough to qualify.

FultzNationRISE
01-04-2024, 09:38 PM

Measured on an individual statistical level this is true, although Dallas and Philly average a similar number of points per game, and Luka is responsible for creating much more team offense than Embiid. Irving has missed a lot more time than Maxey has and Philly's roster is definitely better 3-12.

So you could very easily argue Luka is doing more offensively for his team than Embiid if you look at it that way. There's no objective way to measure it and obviously you can make arguments for Embiid as well. But it's not clear cut is all Im saying.

tontoz
01-04-2024, 09:44 PM
And as you well know I have said numerous times that Jokic deserved it more last year, while Embiid got screwed the year before by the voters.

Anyway, I'm only looking at things as they stand at this point at the season, it's highly possible Joel doesn't qualify for consideration but the point I make is team record in the regular season matters for Luka.

One can't rely on winning the award by default because other players don't play enough to qualify.

Jokic didn't want it last year and literally tanked the end of the season to avoid it.

Embiid only played 66 last year and only 68 the year before so I think it is reasonable to assume that it will be an issue for him. In all his other seasons he didn't make it to 65. It typically hasn't been a problem for the other top players.

fourkicks44
01-04-2024, 10:54 PM
Measured on an individual statistical level this is true, although Dallas and Philly average a similar number of points per game, and Luka is responsible for creating much more team offense than Embiid. Irving has missed a lot more time than Maxey has and Philly's roster is definitely better 3-12.

So you could very easily argue Luka is doing more offensively for his team than Embiid if you look at it that way. There's no objective way to measure it and obviously you can make arguments for Embiid as well. But it's not clear cut is all Im saying.

Ok, sure.

But doesn't that prove my point even more how the regular season record is important in this MVP race, especially for Luka to separate himself from the pack?

iamgine
01-04-2024, 11:09 PM
I'd say Embiid is the runaway MVP if he manage to play enough games.