PDA

View Full Version : Basketball + Soccer = Handball

iamgine
01-06-2024, 12:16 PM
Just found this sport. Apparently it's quite popular in Europe. I see the appeal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KCynwtEo_Y

Wally450
01-06-2024, 12:22 PM
Very fun to watch during the summer Olympics.

elementally morale
01-06-2024, 12:45 PM
Enforcing the rules is hard and following them is even harder. Kind if like with water polo. I'm from Hungary and Hungarians are really great at water polo. But many times you just don't get what's a foul and what's not a foul. You won't easily understand penalties and people sent off either. With handball there is no shotclock but the ball can be taken away for 'passivity' if your offense is 'not going anywhere'. But it's 100% up to the refs to make that judgement call. Both water polo and handball are more popular in my country than basketball but if you don't like the referees in the NBA neither is for you.

Xiao Yao You
01-06-2024, 06:26 PM
I always thought it looked fun and should have been something we played in gym class instead of soccer

FKAri
01-06-2024, 08:29 PM
This is what Hakeem played growing up in Africa.

I always thought it looked fun and should have been something we played in gym class instead of soccer

You guys didn't play basketball? It's literally designed to be a sport for gym class.

Xiao Yao You
01-06-2024, 08:40 PM
This is what Hakeem played growing up in Africa.

You guys didn't play basketball? It's literally designed to be a sport for gym class.

basketball, volleyball, soccer, softball and swimming. We had a pool!

iamgine
01-07-2024, 12:44 AM
Enforcing the rules is hard and following them is even harder. Kind if like with water polo. I'm from Hungary and Hungarians are really great at water polo. But many times you just don't get what's a foul and what's not a foul. You won't easily understand penalties and people sent off either. With handball there is no shotclock but the ball can be taken away for 'passivity' if your offense is 'not going anywhere'. But it's 100% up to the refs to make that judgement call. Both water polo and handball are more popular in my country than basketball but if you don't like the referees in the NBA neither is for you.

Shot clock seems like a natural addition to the game.

ralph_i_el
01-07-2024, 12:37 PM
We used to play this in gym. Good fun.

Water polo was my sport. I coach swimming now, and I run them through 3 water polo practices every winter break, and then whoop their ass on the last day.