PDA

View Full Version : Do you think Sengun has ever used this word?

FultzNationRISE
01-06-2024, 07:43 PM
I was reading about languages with the largest word counts, and there was a passage about agglutinative words, which are individual words made up of smaller words strung together. (German is well known for this).

One of the paragraphs explained:

Some languages can wind up with extremely long words created through agglutination, such as the Turkish word Çekoslovakyalılaştıramadıklarımızdanmışsınız, which translates to “You are one of those that we were not able to convert into Czechoslovakians.”

I found that amusing.

Altho I dont understand why there would be a Turkish word for people who werent successfully converted into Czechoslovakians. How do you convert someone into being Czech, and why would Turks be trying to do it?

Anyone with insight into this feel free to share.

elementally morale
01-06-2024, 08:01 PM
Here are 2 Hungarian words for you:

elkelkáposztásítottalanítottátok
meaning: you have desavoycabbagized it

megszentségteleníthetetlenségeskedéseitekért
meaning: for your inability in your undesecratable deeds

Xiao Yao You
01-06-2024, 08:08 PM
Chinese words aren't more than 1 character. In Pinyin I think not more than about 5 letters like liang which is 2

warriorfan
01-06-2024, 08:24 PM
I was reading about languages with the largest word counts, and there was a passage about agglutinative words, which are individual words made up of smaller words strung together. (German is well known for this).

One of the paragraphs explained:

I found that amusing.

Altho I dont understand why there would be a Turkish word for people who werent successfully converted into Czechoslovakians. How do you convert someone into being Czech, and why would Turks be trying to do it?

Anyone with insight into this feel free to share.

I remember seeing german words being super long and thinking that must be difficult to learn. But yeah I ended up dating a girl who was from germany and she explained it’s basically a bunch of words without any spaces and that made more sense.

Kblaze8855
01-06-2024, 09:18 PM
Do you think your favorite announcer will say this?

https://www.hostpic.org/images/2401070647170347.jpeg

Xiao Yao You
01-06-2024, 09:37 PM
When I first went to China and heard them saying 'that' which is Nei ge(nay ge) and it sounded like n i g g a it certainly got my attention. They use it a lot too

FultzNationRISE
01-07-2024, 03:51 AM
Chinese words aren't more than 1 character. In Pinyin I think not more than about 5 letters like liang which is 2

Dunno about character transcription, trisyllabic pinyin translations are certainly less common but I wouldnt say uncommon. Túshūguán is library for instance. Miántiāo is noodle. Xiānshēng = Mister, and so on. But for sure most words are basically Wu Tang Ching Chong etc.

I do feel like it’s gotta be harder to learn a distinct character for every damn word than learning to spell with an alphabet. But ofc Im bias as an english speaker.

Stephonit
01-07-2024, 08:25 AM
Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis was made for threads like this.

Xiao Yao You
01-07-2024, 08:37 AM
Dunno about character transcription, trisyllabic pinyin translations are certainly less common but I wouldnt say uncommon. Túshūguán is library for instance. Miántiāo is noodle. Xiānshēng = Mister, and so on. But for sure most words are basically Wu Tang Ching Chong etc.

I do feel like it’s gotta be harder to learn a distinct character for every damn word than learning to spell with an alphabet. But ofc Im bias as an english speaker.

Pin Yin is two characters. Xian Sheng is two characters. Bei Jing is two. Shang Hai is two. Tu Shu Guang is 3. Some of the characters are easy. one two three, zero, gate... They look something like what they mean. They developed from actual pictures over 1000's of years and I guess if you're a child that's how they teach it. They tried to teach me tiger. You can't see the tiger?
老虎 lao hu. In Hong Kong or Taiwan it's much harder too. Mao simplified the characters so more people became literate but less people can read the old texts

BarberSchool
01-08-2024, 12:44 AM
Do you think your favorite announcer will say this?

https://www.hostpic.org/images/2401070647170347.jpegWe all Noah Knigga who knows a n!gga who got them thangs.