PDA

View Full Version : Great start Zo. Credit is due. Five blocks in the first quarter.

Kblaze8855
01-06-2024, 07:50 PM
https://youtu.be/srAvxWDZgGI?si=0RjQWWPE0LZWAn0P

But Jordan had 37, Pippen 24, and Rodman 19 rebounds in the win as you damn near got swept as a 61 win team.

Great defense and all. Respect. Just saying both things happened. You shut down the lane. And the Bulls still left you twisted like Keith Sweat or this unfortunate young man

https://i.ibb.co/9vCKcyN/IMG-7349.gif

1987_Lakers
01-07-2024, 12:28 AM
Zo was the original emotional lesbian. A popular phrase coined at Cousins.

Kblaze8855
01-08-2024, 10:50 AM
Weird guy to rank. At one point I believe he was the defensive player of the year while also being second in MVP voting. He scored a good bit, but his style of scoring seemed almost clumsy. He was athletic, and he could shoot, but I feel like he might have the worst transition to today’s game of all the elite players of his time. Not that it matters at all how you might play in a time you didn’t built your game to suit…I just feel like he might not translate as well.

Hed be a terror blocking shots but you have to come to him. Teams don’t do that as often. He wouldn’t wanna step out much. He was too physical and aggressive. He was way more physical and prone to hit you or fight than a guy like Draymond who ho fans clutch pearls over now. Add that ugly running hook and hard to watch clunky but effective around the basket game? Coaches wouldn’t want a lot of what he did to be part of their pristine modern offenses.

Im not sure if the Celtics would play him over KP or even old Al Horford and that’s weird as hell to imagine.

Would prime Zo be of more use to modern teams than Porzingis and Horford?

Would a near MVP caliber guy from just 20 years ago be third string on the Celtics?

Would Zo need to go Brook Lopez to play 30+ minutes on a great team?

He did have shooting touch from deep midrange. Ugly shot but it often went in. Would we make Zo a 3 and D big?

Real Men Wear Green
01-08-2024, 11:01 AM
Porzingis is a better fit but in a game against Embiid Giannis or Jokic you would want to have him around, as of now the Celtics best bet vs. the two centers is Horford and they may find themselves having to put Tatum on Giannis with the game on the line. Their biggest threats feature big strong bigs so Zo would still be useful. They are ready to take back Blake Griffin any time he feels like playing and I bet they would sign Dwight Howard if he didn't have that scandal no one ever talks about.

Kblaze8855
01-08-2024, 11:06 AM
I was watching a game recently, where Horford, even in his old age, was moving his feet really well on a switch. And shooting 38% from 3?

Be interesting to watch the rotation work itself out. Should be a ridiculous discussion but I don’t think it is.

Real Men Wear Green
01-08-2024, 11:09 AM
I was watching a game recently, where Horford, even in his old age, was moving his feet really well on a switch. And shooting 38% from 3?

Be interesting to watch the rotation work itself out. Should be a ridiculous discussion but I don’t think it is.

Horford is still very good, you just want more than one guy you feel good about using on the challenge. Especially when Embiid is going to get 10+ fouls called on you. Horford will need to be fresh with 3 or less fouls on him to defend Embiid in the fourth quarter.

Kblaze8855
01-08-2024, 11:15 AM
Sure But doesn’t it feel a little odd to keep a guy on both of these lists the same season….

https://www.hostpic.org/images/2401082042270348.jpeg

https://www.hostpic.org/images/2401082042430351.jpeg
….as mere foul insurance probably off the bench?

Real Men Wear Green
01-08-2024, 11:33 AM
]So if we're talking about prime Zo, sure the Celtics may be changing something. Making White or Holiday the sixth man or Porzingis or Brown if ego isn't a problem and that seems like the best way to go. But the team with Tatum at 4 and Porzingis at 5 seems unguardable while still being one of the best defenses in the league. The only weakness is that you don't want to leave Tatum or Porzingis alone with Embiid or Jokic in the paint. I would want more of Zo for those scoring big match ups. But Tatum Brown and the rest are a lot more offensively effective with the spacing the current team gets than what they might have to deal with if Zo is in the paint and although he's a great defender Zo would likely get taken advantage of on switches. Maybe if he is in the modern league he stays 20 pounds lighter and that's not a problem but I am just going with the guy he developed into.

Kblaze8855
01-08-2024, 11:46 AM
One thing making it so unfair to judge finished products in a different era is we can’t consider what they would be asked to develop into in this era. Zo hits this to win a series

https://i.ibb.co/ncxzsL3/IMG-7408.gif

He hit plenty more like it. But barely ever took a 3.

today some development coach will pull him aside and tell him to take one step back and take 15,000 of those shots this summer. When he came back, they would tell him to try to take one a game and within a couple of years he would be a respectable spot up shooter from three I suspect.

90sgoat
01-08-2024, 05:03 PM
https://youtu.be/srAvxWDZgGI?si=0RjQWWPE0LZWAn0P

How can someone watch this short clip and not see how dynamic, fast and physical the game was in the 90s?

How can everyone not see this short clip and realize how much more exciting the game was?

Overdrive
01-08-2024, 05:14 PM
Weird guy to rank. At one point I believe he was the defensive player of the year while also being second in MVP voting. He scored a good bit, but his style of scoring seemed almost clumsy. He was athletic, and he could shoot, but I feel like he might have the worst transition to today’s game of all the elite players of his time. Not that it matters at all how you might play in a time you didn’t built your game to suit…I just feel like he might not translate as well.

Hed be a terror blocking shots but you have to come to him. Teams don’t do that as often. He wouldn’t wanna step out much. He was too physical and aggressive. He was way more physical and prone to hit you or fight than a guy like Draymond who ho fans clutch pearls over now. Add that ugly running hook and hard to watch clunky but effective around the basket game? Coaches wouldn’t want a lot of what he did to be part of their pristine modern offenses.

Im not sure if the Celtics would play him over KP or even old Al Horford and that’s weird as hell to imagine.

Would prime Zo be of more use to modern teams than Porzingis and Horford?

Would a near MVP caliber guy from just 20 years ago be third string on the Celtics?

Would Zo need to go Brook Lopez to play 30+ minutes on a great team?

He did have shooting touch from deep midrange. Ugly shot but it often went in. Would we make Zo a 3 and D big?

Prior to his illness Mourning had a high motor. Staying in the lane was asked of centers back in the day. I doubt he couldn't adapt defensively. Effort never was a problem for him.

As for the Celtics question. That's really tough. The finished product as you said transfered into 2024? He really might be the 3rd string center only playing heavy minutes against other post up players, but they could also use his reliable mid range jumper as a weapon, hope he adapts defensively and use him based on what the opponent has to offer.

Reggie43
01-08-2024, 09:05 PM
Zo was overshadowed by guys from his era. He would certainly be a Superstar today. He was just too good on both ends of the floor while being a great athlete so Im sure he would have been able to adapt to todays style of play.