PDA

View Full Version : The 2020’s is actually the worst defensive era

Lebron23
01-07-2024, 03:09 AM
According to some stats posted online. 1970’s 2000’s had the best defensive rating followed by the 1980’s 2010’s and 1990’s

MrFonzworth
01-07-2024, 03:19 AM
Thanks for giving us the stats that were posted online

Lebron23
01-07-2024, 03:36 AM
Thanks for giving us the stats that were posted online

I am using my old iphone my computer is being fix right now

FultzNationRISE
01-07-2024, 04:16 AM
According to some stats posted online. 1970’s 2000’s had the best defensive rating followed by the 1980’s 2010’s and 1990’s

Louie I do wonder how much is bad defense, and how much is just offense being improve. Today’s league have the best shooting ever and they make more three points shots than ever. Also in 2000 every team wanted to have a michael jordan and it was very focused on difficult iso shooting. When they shoot a low percentage it makes defenses looks good. If you put the shooters today on the 1998 Jazz I think they will win the championship.

Rules favor less defense but I also think more training, bigger talent pool, and refined approach means offense are just better today, even without rule changes. So even the same defense from another decade will look worse today.

Spurs m8
01-07-2024, 04:47 AM
We know...thats why we don't watch it anymore...its not sport...sport it played on both ends

Lebron23
01-07-2024, 05:02 AM
Louie I do wonder how much is bad defense, and how much is just offense being improve. Today’s league have the best shooting ever and they make more three points shots than ever. Also in 2000 every team wanted to have a michael jordan and it was very focused on difficult iso shooting. When they shoot a low percentage it makes defenses looks good. If you put the shooters today on the 1998 Jazz I think they will win the championship.

Rules favor less defense but I also think more training, bigger talent pool, and refined approach means offense are just better today, even without rule changes. So even the same defense from another decade will look worse today.
Maybe we just have better offense

Manny98
01-07-2024, 06:48 AM
Thanks OP I never knew that :applause:

Xiao Yao You
01-07-2024, 08:41 AM
rules favor offense more and more. I'd argue good defense today is more impressive than ever because you can't touch the offensive player while they can initiate contact on the defender. Almost impossible for a defender. They have to be perfect and cover a lot more of the floor with the spacing involved

FKAri
01-07-2024, 03:44 PM
Meaningless statement. Different eras have different rules and styles.

rules favor offense more and more. I'd argue good defense today is more impressive than ever because you can't touch the offensive player while they can initiate contact on the defender. Almost impossible for a defender. They have to be perfect and cover a lot more of the floor with the spacing involved

Every rule since the introduction of zone has been to favor defense over offense. Over time players and teams have just become better and better at exploiting the rules.

Full Court
01-07-2024, 04:54 PM
We've only been discussing this for as long as I've been on ISH. Glad OP finally figured it out.