PDA

View Full Version : The only problem I see with Wembanyama and even Chet Holmgren so far:

hiphopanonymous
01-09-2024, 01:31 PM
Is that they don't have a disciplined few shots to spam and always fall back on when the team just outright NEEDS a good percentage basket when in a slump or lost on options. I think it's particularly important for big players with overmatch ability to have 'unstoppable' style shots in their bag as an ace up their sleeve.

IE:
Kareem's Skyhook, Wilt/Dirk/Duncan's fadeaway.

It's of course not 100% necessary but it sure did help put a few past great players into a different category of dominant. Wemby and Chet can handle, they can shoot, they can create space with an extremely large and creative repertoire of moves that are atypical for bigs. But that's really best suited for players that can't 'overmatch' anyone (IE smaller less physically talented players) thus they lean on variety to keep defenders guessing. Chet and especially Wemby can overmatch almost anyone off very minimal movements if they'd simply figure that out. They're rookies, I know. So it's no big deal right now and fairly expected. But honestly their numbers are way under what all the hype is right now and in my opinion it's because they came into the league without a pet shot. The versatility is nice for now - I hope to see their games simplify a bit to be honest.

tontoz
01-09-2024, 01:47 PM
Rookie's generally don't have an unstoppable shot lol.

Guys like Kareem and Duncan went to college 4 years to develop their games. Dirk sucked as a rookie.

hiphopanonymous
01-09-2024, 01:52 PM
Rookie's generally don't have an unstoppable shot lol.

Guys like Kareem and Duncan went to college 4 years to develop their games. Dirk sucked as a rookie.

Yeah you're right about that - Dirk developed into it, I expect they probably will too. Just pointing it out since I don't hear too many people talk about it.

ILLsmak
01-09-2024, 02:06 PM
I haven't watched Chet that much, but Wemby just needs to be able to get to a spot and have someone pass him the ball, then shoot over them haha. That's what I was saying since day 1. Once he gets that shot, it's over. He doesn't need to risk injury or anything. No need for a step back 3.

Catch ball, survey floor, if no help, shoot over. 15-17 foot should be like a lay up and nobody is stopping it.

-Smak

highwhey
01-09-2024, 02:51 PM
the only problem is they don't play for the suns

Carbine
01-09-2024, 03:23 PM
Tim is my favorite player but to say he had a dominant fade away is wrong. It was one of his moves, but it wasn't a signature go to shot.

90sgoat
01-09-2024, 03:25 PM
I've seen Wemby shoot hooks already which puts him ahead of 90% of NBA big men.

hiphopanonymous
01-09-2024, 03:32 PM
Tim is my favorite player but to say he had a dominant fade away is wrong. It was one of his moves, but it wasn't a signature go to shot.
Fair enough maybe Tim was a bad example. He still seemed to stick to operating in a few more disciplined patterns on the floor to stick with what works as opposed to experimenting with variety every night. Wemby and Chet seem to be doing stepbacks and setting up high or low - triple threat to post up at random with no visible rhyme or reason that I can decipher so far. Which is good if variety is what you're going for. But I don't think they should go for variety in the long run, I think they should see what really works best out of all of it and spam it a bit more often.

90sgoat
01-09-2024, 04:27 PM
I sure seem to remember Tim with the one handed bank shot as his go to move.

I'd say that is one of the more iconic shots in NBA history.

Someone like Kevin Garnett didn't have it, which might also explain his lower scoring.

Wemby in fact seems quite similar to Garnett now that I think about it.

elementally morale
01-09-2024, 07:12 PM
The way the Spurs play is hard to comprehend. I don't know what the goal is, but winning basketball games is not it. Pop's approach may be to 'let them play' and let Wembanyama learn the hard way it's easier for him to play C. It seems they are sacrificing everything but I can't see the purpose. Perhaps in the summer there will be some adjustments but I think in the second half of the year it will be more of the same. There is literally no offensive planning just a bunch of guys going out there and freelance.

RRR3
01-09-2024, 07:18 PM
The way the Spurs play is hard to comprehend. I don't know what the goal is, but winning basketball games is not it. Pop's approach may be to 'let them play' and let Wembanyama learn the hard way it's easier for him to play C. It seems they are sacrificing everything but I can't see the purpose. Perhaps in the summer there will be some adjustments but I think in the second half of the year it will be more of the same. There is literally no offensive planning just a bunch of guys going out there and freelance.
Pop is senile. Only explanation. Positively dreadful coaching this year.

SATAN
01-09-2024, 08:05 PM
Wemby has a season to adjust and get his game and mind right. Pop told him to stay strong and it will pay off or something to that effect.

It seriously did look like some of the other players weren't with the plan though until people started speaking out about what looked like deliberate missed passes etc...

They aren't trying to make the playoffs or anything. It is what it is.

Duffy Pratt
01-09-2024, 11:39 PM
Just imagine how potent Kareem’s sky hook would be on a team without a point guard or even a single player who could throw a decent post entry pass.

It may be that Wemby doesn’t have that kind of signature move, but how would you know when his team is incapable of getting him the ball in decent position?

iamgine
01-10-2024, 12:14 AM
Before we go to a different era in Kareem, how about we start with current dominating players who have overmatch ability. Giannis? Embiid? Do they have the unstoppable style shots?

ILLsmak
01-10-2024, 03:58 AM
Pop is senile. Only explanation. Positively dreadful coaching this year.

I think they are tanking, but I don't agree that you should be able to tank with the number 1 pick, who is also a generational talent. They owe the fans something.

I feel like only a few people are wack enough to tank in that situation, and Pop/Spurs is one of them. It's a smart long term move, but it's just completely classless.

-Smak

Lebron23
01-10-2024, 04:24 AM
Fair enough maybe Tim was a bad example. He still seemed to stick to operating in a few more disciplined patterns on the floor to stick with what works as opposed to experimenting with variety every night. Wemby and Chet seem to be doing stepbacks and setting up high or low - triple threat to post up at random with no visible rhyme or reason that I can decipher so far. Which is good if variety is what you're going for. But I don't think they should go for variety in the long run, I think they should see what really works best out of all of it and spam it a bit more often.
Tim’s go to move is a bank shot

Xiao Yao You
01-10-2024, 07:37 AM
I think they are tanking, but I don't agree that you should be able to tank with the number 1 pick, who is also a generational talent. They owe the fans something.

I feel like only a few people are wack enough to tank in that situation, and Pop/Spurs is one of them. It's a smart long term move, but it's just completely classless.

-Smak

since when does the team with the top pick not tank? Teams are generally awful for several seasons before The Process results in wins