PDA

View Full Version : No Ja - No problem? Grizz stomp Mavs

FultzNationRISE
01-10-2024, 12:26 AM
The thing is, I dont have a specific problem with the way Ja plays. He’s obviously their designated volume scorer but he seems to get his points relatively in the flow of the game. I dont watch him and think chucker. I havent watched him closely on defense, he’s a fairly small guard so I assume hes not a huge plus there, but hes definitely a decent help defender at the rim with his hops.

So if it werent for the fact there is a SIGNIFICANT sample size across multiple seasons of his absence having zero affect on the team’s winning chances, I wouldnt be saying this. Im not anti Ja, but I am pro… information. And this is evidence thats kinda hard to dismiss.

He’s a max player considered a superstar when healthy, but this is data driven scientific evidence showing he doesnt change their outcomes whether he plays or not.

And I suspect this is actually true for a handful of other max guys, maybe even many of them, we just dont have the sample size with them as we do with Ja to really show it beyond a doubt. Kyrie is another one tho, he’s missed a lot of time in his career and it never impacts his teams win percentage.

So… what do you make of this?

iamgine
01-10-2024, 12:33 AM
I mean Memphis is 6-3 with Ja and 7-20 without Ja this season.

That's....information.

FultzNationRISE
01-10-2024, 12:39 AM

That's....information.

Okay but Smart missed a lot of those games as well. They were very banged up across the board.

If you take the total of Ja’s absences across the last three seasons Im pretty sure their win percentage is at least as good without him as with him. Remember they went something like 22-5 at one point when he was out for an extended period of time, and then did something similar the next season.

And I suspect if the rest of the roster gets fairly healthy theyll have a decent finish to this season.

iamgine
01-10-2024, 12:49 AM
Okay but Smart missed a lot of those games as well. They were very banged up across the board.

If you take the total of Ja’s absences across the last three seasons Im pretty sure their win percentage is at least as good without him as with him. Remember they went something like 22-5 at one point when he was out for an extended period of time, and then did something similar the next season.

And I suspect if the rest of the roster gets fairly healthy theyll have a decent finish to this season.

They did do well without him last season but not this season. That's what the data says.

Axe
01-10-2024, 01:03 AM
https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/licensed-image?q=tbn:ANd9GcREySOd8_KwwvJA36xoHM7slHKIXW_PMe vxHLJ55mMEoqNtfRN3SPfPwmlJ7X1nnyfUc298M4dqRYpbDeM

The grizz surely miss this guy a lot regardless.

FultzNationRISE
01-10-2024, 01:18 AM
They did do well without him last season but not this season. That's what the data says.

Well the whole point of big sample sizes is to diminish the influence of short term anomalies.

The largest overall sample size is the best one to work with and that one says they dont miss him.

iamgine
01-10-2024, 02:02 AM
Well the whole point of big sample sizes is to diminish the influence of short term anomalies.

The largest overall sample size is the best one to work with and that one says they dont miss him.

Not true, especially across seasons. Data says they don't miss him much last season but not this season.

beasted
01-10-2024, 02:31 AM
A 6-3 immediate turnaround vs a 7-20 trash heap cannot simply be brushed aside. With or without Smart the team has been terrible.

Akeem34TheDream
01-10-2024, 05:18 AM
Marcus Smart played first 11 games and they were 2-9. Last season Ja missed 21 games and Grizzlies were 11-10 without him. With him 40-21. I know you think you got something here OP but majority of this forum jumped to that narrative like sheep and now forgot about it. That was the case only for 21-22 season. Shit like that happens sometimes. Its time to move on now.

ArbitraryWater
01-10-2024, 09:33 AM
The usual for Memphis without Morant

destroyed the Suns in Phoenix too.

tontoz
01-10-2024, 09:40 AM
Griz outrebounded the Mavs by 21. That is pretty hard to overcome.

Axe
01-10-2024, 10:49 AM
The problem with morant is that some weirdos in here used to make mvp chants for him before even if he didn't really deserved it. And i guess that's the reason why he got trolled by the others in 21/22, like how his team had a winning record without him bt. To go 20-5 without his help, damn that's just freaking remarkable. Although it was also a different team as they still had brooks during those days.

90sgoat
01-10-2024, 11:31 AM
Griz outrebounded the Mavs by 21. That is pretty hard to overcome.

6 years of this.

FultzNationRISE
01-10-2024, 12:32 PM
Marcus Smart played first 11 games and they were 2-9. Last season Ja missed 21 games and Grizzlies were 11-10 without him. With him 40-21. I know you think you got something here OP but majority of this forum jumped to that narrative like sheep and now forgot about it. That was the case only for 21-22 season. Shit like that happens sometimes. Its time to move on now.

Why didnt you type their record without him in the 21-22 season?

Im Still Ballin
01-10-2024, 12:36 PM
They miss Tyus Jones.

tpols
01-10-2024, 12:40 PM

That's....information.

:roll:

Literally the difference between a playoff team and one of the worst teams in the league.

And like someone else said they started 2-9 with Marcus Smart. They just don't have the same spark or pep in their step without Ja.

There's really no excuse for it too. JJJ, Bane, and Smart core should be doing better.

Akeem34TheDream
01-10-2024, 01:03 PM
Why didnt you type their record without him in the 21-22 season?

Because i am writing a counter argument to yours? And its not like ignored it. I mentioned that season. But we have newer and more relevant data now.

Manny98
01-10-2024, 01:04 PM
Nothing to do with Ja, Mavs were playing out there with 4 guards and one forward

Xiao Yao You
01-10-2024, 01:11 PM
Nothing to do with Ja, Mavs were playing out there with 4 guards and one forward

not Luka's fault!

Axe
01-10-2024, 04:20 PM
:roll:

Literally the difference between a playoff team and one of the worst teams in the league.

And like someone else said they started 2-9 with Marcus Smart. They just don't have the same spark or pep in their step without Ja.

There's really no excuse for it too. JJJ, Bane, and Smart core should be doing better.
Again, steven adams wasn't there also.

Xiao Yao You
01-10-2024, 04:21 PM
Again, steven adams wasn't there also.

what difference would a cumbersome big make?