PDA

View Full Version : Warriors versus pelicans is the NBA showcase game tonight on ABC.

Kblaze8855
01-10-2024, 11:12 AM
I will watch that. I’m not sure Celtics and Timberwolves wouldn’t be the game to pick but I can see why they would choose this one in advance.

Real Men Wear Green
01-10-2024, 11:27 AM
I will watch that. I’m not sure Celtics and Timberwolves wouldn’t be the game to pick but I can see why they would choose this one in advance.

What I don't get is why they don't change it. Contractual reason? Zion Williamson isn't a superstar any more meanwhile the two best records in the league and for each conference are playing. Draymond Green is the subject of a lot of discussing but who really wants to watch a game because of him? Steph Curry is the only draw and he hasn't been able to make the overall team good this year.

Kblaze8855
01-10-2024, 11:49 AM
It’s not a terrible matchup. There was just a better one. And flexing a team out of its biggest national TV game of the season is a little more involved than we think. Largely because the owners of the teams in question always hate it. Pelicans ownership would probably go bat shit behind the scenes if you pull them out of a prime time broadcast TV national game with no football in the way when they can win and be on the cusp of home court.

Not that it matters right now, but that’s the kind of thing a team would complain about. I was listening to a show with a former executive, saying some owners literally measure the time they get covered on ESPN.

You aren’t yanking anyone off the air without getting a call.

Wally450
01-10-2024, 12:14 PM
Will the NBA go back to Sunday afternoon games once the NFL is over? I love watching the Sunday afternoon games.

1987_Lakers
01-10-2024, 12:15 PM
Will the NBA go back to Sunday afternoon games once the NFL is over? I love watching the Sunday afternoon games.

My favorite Sunday afternoon game ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2SYIrUnf5Y

FultzNationRISE
01-10-2024, 12:26 PM
It’s not a terrible matchup. There was just a better one. And flexing a team out of its biggest national TV game of the season is a little more involved than we think. Largely because the owners of the teams in question always hate it. Pelicans ownership would probably go bat shit behind the scenes if you pull them out of a prime time broadcast TV national game with no football in the way when they can win and be on the cusp of home court.

Not that it matters right now, but that’s the kind of thing a team would complain about. I was listening to a show with a former executive, saying some owners literally measure the time they get covered on ESPN.

You aren’t yanking anyone off the air without getting a call.

I doubt they would change it if they could, there are only two players who really move the needle for casuals who wouldnt otherwise watch a regular season game: Lebron and Curry.

The league doesnt care about what the best competitive team match up is going to be. They want people to watch. So the most famous guys go to the front of the line.

Kblaze8855
01-10-2024, 12:30 PM
I doubt they would change it if they could, there are only two players who really move the needle for casuals who wouldnt otherwise watch a regular season game: Lebron and Curry.

The league doesnt care about what the best competitive team match up is going to be. They want people to watch. So the most famous guys go to the front of the line.

You would think that but the last abc prime time game was the Bulls and Knicks instead of the Heat and Lakers who played the same night.

Xiao Yao You
01-10-2024, 12:42 PM
scheduled loss for the Wolves so it makes sense I guess not to have the two best teams go at it when you can have a mediocre one instead

SouBeachTalents
01-10-2024, 01:16 PM
When's the last time they had an NBA game on a weeknight on one of the major networks, excluding holidays obv? Am I crazy to think it hasn't happened in a long time?

sdot_thadon
01-10-2024, 01:21 PM
When's the last time they had an NBA game on a weeknight on one of the major networks, excluding holidays obv? Am I crazy to think it hasn't happened in a long time?

Think you're right man, I can't recall one in the regular season.

Xiao Yao You
01-10-2024, 03:14 PM
Dane Moore: Mike Conley is out tonight against Boston for rest, (https://*********.com/social/) the team says. Rudy Gobert is listed as questionable with left hip soreness.
– via Twitter DaneMooreNBA (https://twitter.com/DaneMooreNBA)

Jasper
01-10-2024, 03:39 PM

Can these games actually host above .500 teams playing for a top spot in the league vs a network pinch /?

Xiao Yao You
01-10-2024, 03:54 PM
Tim Bontemps: The Celtics say Kristaps Porzingis won’t play tonight against Minnesota. (https://*********.com/social/) The Wolves, who arrived from Orlando for tonight’s game earlier today, have already said Mike Conley won’t play.
– via Twitter TimBontemps (https://twitter.com/TimBontemps)

ShawkFactory
01-10-2024, 04:00 PM
Boston/TWolves will be on. 7:30 slot you have OKC and Miami which should be interesting.

My wife wants to watch The Holdovers though so if we're honest...it'll probably be that.

Xiao Yao You
01-10-2024, 07:20 PM
Tim Bontemps: In addition to Mike Conley, Rudy Gobert is also sitting out tonight for Minnesota in Boston (https://*********.com/social/).
– via Twitter TimBontemps (https://twitter.com/TimBontemps)

tontoz
01-10-2024, 07:24 PM
Pels have a lot of blowout wins lately. Ws better be ready to go from the jump or it could get ugly.

OKC vs Heat could be interesting.

Kblaze8855
01-10-2024, 10:22 PM
Pelicans Driving and kicking for so many easy threes. I went ahead and turned this game off.

Real Men Wear Green
01-10-2024, 10:28 PM
Meanwhile Celtics Wolves is going into overtime.

Axe
01-11-2024, 12:15 AM
Looks like getting cp3 while getting rid of poole isn't living up to expectations, after all. :ohwell:

Wally450
01-11-2024, 12:33 AM
Meanwhile Celtics Wolves is going into overtime.

Tatum showing he’s got that dawg in him. Huge game from him tonight. Clutch buckets down the stretch.

Real Men Wear Green
01-11-2024, 01:11 AM
Tatum showing he’s got that dawg in him. Huge game from him tonight. Clutch buckets down the stretch.

I wasn't going to mention anything. Truth is the "dawg" talk is just some idiots wanting to attack Tatum and not having anything concrete to say.

Wally450
01-11-2024, 03:36 PM
I wasn't going to mention anything. Truth is the "dawg" talk is just some idiots wanting to attack Tatum and not having anything concrete to say.

Shame the game wasn't the national game so they'd get to see a great performance that wouldn't fit their narrative of him.

Xiao Yao You
01-11-2024, 03:38 PM
Shame the game wasn't the national game so they'd get to see a great performance that wouldn't fit their narrative of him.

no one wants to see the two best teams battle

tontoz
01-11-2024, 03:53 PM
The "dawg" thing is nonsense. If anything i would say Tatum tries to do to much in tight games.

From what i have seen the only thing i would really criticize is that he settles for contested jumpers off the dribble too often. He is effective on drives and in the post but doesnt go to that enough imo. At least that has been my impression in recent years. I haven't watched them much this year.

Real Men Wear Green
01-11-2024, 05:43 PM

The next time he has a bad game they will be saying the same shit so on that front it wouldn't have mattered. But the NBA majorly blew it because they could have been showcasing a significant part of the future of the league. Edwards will be and is a superstar and Minnie has a reasonable shot at the Finals while the Celtics are the best team in the East, have been a major factor in the East for 7 years and will remain a force for years to come. But instead they force fed the world that crap because the Warriors had a dynasty 2 years ago. That has obviously been over. Williamson on the Pelicans has the ability to make exciting dunks but when is the last time he did? And the result was even worse than I thought it would be. A 36 point blow out. They deserve to be swallowed up by Belichick news. Putting a game on ABC in prime time is a great opportunity to promote the league but when you put that crap up you embarrass it. I didn't watch it because O watched Celtics of course but I bet they just talked about Draymond Green all game. Who really wants to watch a game to hear about that shit? Especially casual fans that just want some entertainment.

Real Men Wear Green
01-11-2024, 05:52 PM
The "dawg" thing is nonsense. If anything i would say Tatum tries to do to much in tight games.

From what i have seen the only thing i would really criticize is that he settles for contested jumpers off the dribble too often. He is effective on drives and in the post but doesnt go to that enough imo. At least that has been my impression in recent years. I haven't watched them much this year.

You're kind of right but what you're seeing is what I call "he loses for a reason." When the Celtics win he'll take a lot of the same stepbacks except that they go in and/or teammates make plays to make up for him not making the best play. I would neither label him a choker nor some kind of clutch God. He's a great offensive player but that doesn't mean he's unstoppable and if the defense doesn't let him attack the basket he may miss. And that's true of everyone we give the superstar label to.