PDA

View Full Version : Melo believes Denver gave Jokic the number 15 to erase his accomplishments

CurryOverLebron
01-11-2024, 08:26 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwAu4ZWkKiM

Real Men Wear Green
01-11-2024, 08:31 PM
It wasn't a respectful move but when he got the jersey all he was was a second round pick. They couldn't have foreseen him becoming an all time great player whose jersey will of course be retired.

Really Melo should blame young Melo for the current state of affairs. Any time a player forces a team to trade him away he shouldn't expect them to honor his legacy in his absence.

warriorfan
01-11-2024, 08:31 PM
“Jokic might have picked 15 to pay homage” -melo

:roll:

Pretty sure Jokic wouldn’t have been able to tell you what number Anthony wore in Denver for a million dollars

Kblaze8855
01-11-2024, 08:35 PM
I assume if they knew he were gonna be good enough to overshadow Melo they would have taken him with their first rounder that year instead of the swap for Nurkic.

FultzNationRISE
01-11-2024, 08:35 PM
Carmelo was a lazy, undisciplined player in Denver who ultimately forced the franchise to trade him purely because he thought it would be more fun and glamorous to play in New York City.

But he wants Denver to celebrate his 'legacy' there :roll:

SouBeachTalents
01-11-2024, 08:41 PM
What accomplishments?

Kblaze8855
01-11-2024, 08:49 PM
What accomplishments?

The ones putting him in the Hall of Fame and I believe the top 75. I don’t think he got any better in New York though there was a moment or two people were saying otherwise.

I don’t think the word “accomplishments” Only applies to MVPs and people who are in the finals.

I wouldn’t say somebody like George Gervin was not an accomplished basketball player. Society has just raised the standards so high we don’t want to acknowledge that anyone who isnt an all-time elite, contributed anything at all.

Xiao Yao You
01-11-2024, 08:50 PM
not quite like the Jazz giving their all time best player at the time Dantley's number to the guy they traded for him

999Guy
01-11-2024, 08:51 PM
What really happened is worse - they found this fat foreign center that dribbles and threw the jersey on him.

Melo should worry about getting overshadowed by Murray, who has already peaked higher on both ends.

Xiao Yao You
01-11-2024, 08:54 PM
What really happened is worse - they found this fat foreign center that dribbles and threw the jersey on him.

Melo should worry about getting overshadowed by Murray, who has already peaked higher on both ends.

he was already overshadowed by English despite the hype to the contrary

ArbitraryWater
01-11-2024, 11:12 PM
he was already overshadowed by English despite the hype to the contrary

I dont think you understand how overshadowing someone works

ImKobe
01-11-2024, 11:21 PM
Makes no sense. Jokic had the number ever since he was drafted... in the 2nd round no less lol. No one expected him to become a star, let alone arguably the best in the game.

Melo's just salty that he never achieved shit in the Playoffs, and that's on him for not improving & for choosing to force his way to NY at the time instead of at least sticking with Denver until he could have joined a good team as a FA to give himself a better chance.

warriorfan
01-11-2024, 11:35 PM
Makes no sense. Jokic had the number ever since he was drafted... in the 2nd round no less lol. No one expected him to become a star, let alone arguably the best in the game.

Melo's just salty that he never achieved shit in the Playoffs, and that's on him for not improving & for choosing to force his way to NY at the time instead of at least sticking with Denver until he could have joined a good team as a FA to give himself a better chance.

Denver had some good teams around him. Then they got that king’s ransom for Melo. Post Melo I thought they had too much depth. Would have been nice if they could have consolidated some of that talent for another top tier star.

Xiao Yao You
01-11-2024, 11:37 PM

could have waited until he was a free agent and the Knicks would have had a lot more talent around him as well

Kblaze8855
01-11-2024, 11:43 PM
Denver had some good teams around him. Then they got that king’s ransom for Melo. Post Melo I thought they had too much depth. Would have been nice if they could have consolidated some of that talent for another top tier star.

Both Jamal Murray and Jakob Poeltl(Raptors starter now) are picks from the Melo trade 14 years ago. These things have such far reaching consequences.

Xiao Yao You
01-11-2024, 11:56 PM
Hayward was a Knicks pick. Awful ran team for a long time. Dolan finally got out of the way

ILLsmak
01-12-2024, 12:21 AM
I'm not one to pull the race card, but some of these dudes legit seem more upset than they should be when some white dude comes along and takes their number or w/e.

It's sports. B EZ Melo.

It does suck, in some ways, but if Melo couldn't get his number retired, he ****ed up.

-Smak

ImKobe
01-12-2024, 08:38 AM

Yeah, Denver had too many 75-80 rated players on 2K back in the day in 2012 lol like they went 10-12 deep on that type of talent but didn't have that 1 dude to take over when the going got tough. Knicks still had solid pieces but I guess Amare just wasn't the same after 2011 due to injuries, Chauncey got injured that year & left and they had some bad breaks along the way when they could have contended in the POs.

2012 they maybe could have beat Miami or at least made it a tough series if Lin was there but he got injured before the Playoffs.

CurryOverLebron
01-14-2024, 02:50 PM
https://twitter.com/markocantdunk/status/1745562256543191158

In Serbia, the jerseys are numbered #1-15 in order of size, #15 going to the biggest player on the team. They didn’t give Jokić #15 to take a shot at Melo, he’s been wearing #15 his entire life.

https://images.eurohoops.net/2015/06/sp-jokic-625x375.jpg

Axe
01-14-2024, 07:15 PM
What accomplishments?
Playing with king kong, duh.