PDA

View Full Version : Without context clues, how many players voices would you recognize?

Kblaze8855
01-16-2024, 11:06 PM
Does this question matter? Absolutely not. Does anything that has ever happened during a basketball game matter? Not that I can think of. So let’s just skip past that part.

being the weirdo that I am, I’ll watch and listen to a lot of interviews. That combined with years of hearing players talk I think I could identify a frankly embarrassing number of Hall of Fame players if you play me a clip of them even if they weren’t talking about basketball.

If you played me a clip of Bob Cousy ordering breakfast, I think I would know it was Bob Cousy. At least if you tell me it’s a basketball player.

I suspect you would know it was Kobe talking if someone played you a recording of Kobe ordering some sesame chicken. But a lot of players…even prominent ones? Maybe not.

I feel like players do more media than they ever did but I also feel like I don’t know the voice of a tremendous number of current stars. The ones with an accent like Embiid would be easy. But does Tyrese Halliburton even have a voice in your head? Does Luka? SGA? Would you know Jimmy Butlers voice if he’s talking about an oil change he needs to get right behind you? I wouldn’t. Do you know Trae Young’s voice? De’Aaron Fox? Dame?

I feel like I used to watch so many little profiles on TV where players would be telling a story and talking, and I just have their voices in my head. I know exactly what Chris Mullin sounds like with his strong ass New York accent. I don’t remember what I watched to know it but I do.

am I just missing all the player profiles and in-depth looks on today’s players? Are they just no longer part of game broadcasts? I feel like back in the day halftime with so often include a segment. That was just a story about a player. Now the halftime show is the numbers and a little analysis.

Does the media really cover these guys as people anymore?

iamgine
01-16-2024, 11:12 PM
I'd know Shaq's mumbling voice. Maybe Bill Russell if he laugh during the talk. Or Kawhi. Magic I might when he turned on the charm.

Kblaze8855
01-16-2024, 11:15 PM
https://youtu.be/T7vYb4J-jrs?si=WSEav7C1kFGlOSGQ

You know what? I think it’s the lack of halftime reports. The Prudential halftime report exposed us to the personality of so many players back in the day. Between things like that and inside stuff?

Pregame halftime and post game the format has completely changed. They don’t tell you the story of who you’re watching. And we don’t have real tv shows to do it either. That or they’re all on nba tv. Where was Inside Stuff? NBC on Saturday morning? ABC? I can’t even remember. But I feel like I didn’t miss one for years.

When was the last 10 minute long feature you saw on somebody who wasn’t a LeBron or Kobe level star?

Ahmad Rashad would walk around and talk to Terrell Brandon or Juwan Howard for half a show and they would put it on network TV.

Are there still early afternoon NBA specific TV shows doing these features? The problem could be that I just never watch TV in the middle of the afternoon anymore. They could be doing this kind of shit on the jump or NBA today if they still do those shows at all

Kblaze8855
01-16-2024, 11:17 PM
I’m gonna go ahead and spam This topic with the Prudential halftime report and NBA inside stuff clips now

Kblaze8855
01-16-2024, 11:18 PM
https://youtu.be/iSv4-2RVPa4?si=eBjQ-y85EjzBKfR8

Kblaze8855
01-16-2024, 11:20 PM
https://youtu.be/EHMw177BMYU?si=AdgnOAwq01I3q_m1

I didn’t know that inside stuff lasted to that era.

Kblaze8855
01-16-2024, 11:21 PM
https://youtu.be/jqivzyrOZIs?si=NwbcSI1CqY2yJOqr

Kblaze8855
01-16-2024, 11:23 PM
https://youtu.be/c_qz0axwLMw?si=wbdY2P0d5zJfdAhB

So it turns out the nba still produces all that they just hide it on nba tv where nobody sees it instead of national tv broadcasts and devoted shows on big networks.

elementally morale
01-16-2024, 11:26 PM
Mutombo and Doc Rivers for sure. :oldlol:

Most guys with heavy accents. Americans with normal voices? Not many. The real stars and a few others... not many. As for active players probably not more than 15. All time? Maybe 30. Magic, Bird, Kareem, Jordan, Kobe, Nash, Pau, Dirk, Hakeem and the like. Shaq, obviously. Barkley, LOL.

highwhey
01-16-2024, 11:37 PM
i can recognize curry's squeaky and shaky voice, low testosterone, very effeminate. ayesha's voice sounds more manly than his. makes you wonder who wears the pants in that relationship given the context and history of how often she disparages their marital relationship in the open public. she probably gets off on embarrassing him in public.

L.Kizzle
01-16-2024, 11:38 PM
Definitely miss NBA Inside Stuff (and NBA Action to a smaller degree.)
They took you inside the lives of players. Somewhat like Yo MYV Raps and Rap City ball in the day.

Don't really know Halliburton how we would know freaking Todd Day back then.

Kblaze8855
01-16-2024, 11:39 PM
Mutombo and Doc Rivers for sure. :oldlol:

Most guys with heavy accents. Americans with normal voices? Not many. The real stars and a few others... not many. As for active players probably not more than 15. All time? Maybe 30. Magic, Bird, Kareem, Jordan, Kobe, Nash, Pau, Dirk, Hakeem and the like. Shaq, obviously. Barkley, LOL.

i’ve got $20 that says you wouldn’t recognize Steve Nash voice 6 feet from you ordering a piece of Keylime pie.

Xiao Yao You
01-16-2024, 11:40 PM
Rubio's girly voice is recognizable

Full Court
01-16-2024, 11:41 PM
Not many at all. I rarely watch or listen to interviews, and they're not talking much into mics during the games....

highwhey
01-16-2024, 11:42 PM
i’ve got $20 that says you wouldn’t recognize Steve Nash voice 6 feet from you ordering a piece of Keylime pie.

his voice is one of the easier ones to recognize, it has a rasp and his accent is subtle as well but he stands out. like a white doc rivers, less raspy but his vocal chords sound like they're strained.

elementally morale
01-16-2024, 11:47 PM

I think I would. He had plenty of interviews and commercials 15 years ago and I heard him a lot. I forgot Kawhi and Steph. I'd recognize them as well. T-Mac, too. Yao. :oldlol:

Xiao Yao You
01-16-2024, 11:48 PM
the Mailman's redneck drawl I'd recognize

elementally morale
01-17-2024, 12:15 AM
Just took a look at the top75 all time list. Players I didn't mention so far but I'd think would recognize:

LeBron, Garnett, Isiah, Pippen, Iverson, Reggie, Rodman and Bill Walton. (Old Bill Walton. Young Bill Walton I would probably not.)

Kblaze8855
01-17-2024, 12:18 AM
Bill Walton might have the most recognizable voice of anybody who did not play after the 80s. Him or Wilt Chamberlain. Though as was mentioned earlier if Bill Russell laughs you should know who that is.

FilmyCogTurner
01-17-2024, 02:05 PM
I’m gonna go ahead and spam This topic with the Prudential halftime report and NBA inside stuff clips now

That's not spam my friend, that is gold.

I attribute it to being younger and more obsessed. Back in the 90s I knew every single player in the league. Now a key prominent dude will get some shine about how well he's playing and I think who the hell is this guy and when did he enter the league.

HoopsNY
01-17-2024, 02:32 PM
I'd recognize Avery Johnson's voice anywhere.

ILLsmak
01-17-2024, 05:30 PM
A lot but not under pressure.

I do think it would be harder in a non basketball related phrase, though. If they all said "Kobe" I'd prol be good to go. Key lime, maybe not.

-Smak

Wally450
01-19-2024, 01:27 PM
Kendrick Perkins easily. Pierce would be pretty easy for me personally.

Shaq, Chuck & Kenny for obvious reasons.