PDA

View Full Version : Nikola Jokic is now no. 1 in per

Lebron23
01-21-2024, 05:50 AM
Surpassing Michael Jordan

Full Court
01-21-2024, 09:47 AM
If he wins a championship this year, he'll pass up Lebron in all time rankings.

FultzNationRISE
01-21-2024, 01:02 PM
PER is a better evaluation tool than PPG (points per game) which was the de facto measure people seemed to use before advanced metrics. But it's still not that meaningful.

That said, the eye test tells me Jokic is as good as any player ever. It's pretty simple. Those who dont trust their analytical eye may wish to wait until "his team does x a few more times" or he wins "media award y" a few more times. And that's fine, people can give whatever opinions based on whatever criteria they want.

But as I've said even before he won the title, to me it's plain to see he's as valuable a basketball player as anyone who ever played the game.

warriorfan
01-21-2024, 02:34 PM
PER is a better evaluation tool than PPG (points per game) which was the de facto measure people seemed to use before advanced metrics. But it's still not that meaningful.

That said, the eye test tells me Jokic is as good as any player ever. It's pretty simple. Those who dont trust their analytical eye may wish to wait until "his team does x a few more times" or he wins "media award y" a few more times. And that's fine, people can give whatever opinions based on whatever criteria they want.

But as I've said even before he won the title, to me it's plain to see he's as valuable a basketball player as anyone who ever played the game.

I think I agree with pretty much most of this.

PER is basically a fancy way of adding a player’s entire box score into one number

ShawkFactory
01-21-2024, 02:36 PM
I think I agree with pretty much most of this.

PER is basically a fancy way of adding a player’s entire box score into one number

That's exactly what it is. And it was cool when it came out because no one had done that before. But with the nature of the game now, we're past it.

1987_Lakers
01-21-2024, 02:39 PM
The funny thing is, PER was tweaked by its creator to have MJ #1 on it. I believe when John Hollinger first introduced PER, or when it was close to being completed as a stat, David Robinson had the #1 PER all time.

warriorfan
01-21-2024, 02:42 PM
That's exactly what it is. And it was cool when it came out because no one had done that before. But with the nature of the game now, we're past it.

It is a somewhat primitive advanced stat but it isn’t terrible. I wouldn’t say the game is past it. If you are evaluating a player more data is better than less data. Using it in a conjunction with other advanced stats and on off stuff is better than just picking out one single metric and using that solely. All advanced stats have “holes” or weird inconsistencies that don’t quite make sense. If you use multiple metrics you can start to cover up the holes.

Mask the Embiid
01-21-2024, 04:37 PM
So this proves that per means absolutely nothing. Not one person on the entire planet, would call this fat tub of lard the best player ever with a straight face….

FultzNationRISE
01-21-2024, 04:58 PM
So this proves that per means absolutely nothing. Not one person on the entire planet, would call this fat tub of lard the best player ever with a straight face….

My friend, there are many truths in this world that you wont find anyone willing to speak.

SATAN
01-21-2024, 07:01 PM

No. Just no.

highwhey
01-21-2024, 07:25 PM

:oldlol: agreed. i hope Embiid bounces this fatboi in the playoffs like a kickball.

Duffy Pratt
01-21-2024, 07:38 PM
So this proves that per means absolutely nothing. Not one person on the entire planet, would call this fat tub of lard the best player ever with a straight faceÂ….

Embiid has a career PER of 28.4, significantly better than Jokers. He doesnÂ’t qualify now, and wonÂ’t, until he plays another 1400 minutes. I wonder if the stat will be so meaningless when that happens.

Mask the Embiid
01-21-2024, 08:24 PM
Embiid has a career PER of 28.4, significantly better than Jokers. He doesnÂ’t qualify now, and wonÂ’t, until he plays another 1400 minutes. I wonder if the stat will be so meaningless when that happens.

Well after his 1,400 mins are played. I’ll be sure to let you know

ws48 and bpm too

https://i.ibb.co/TtSvFmf/tenor.gif

Xiao Yao You
01-21-2024, 09:39 PM
ws48 and bpm too

https://i.ibb.co/TtSvFmf/tenor.gif

Gobert is 10th in ws48 so good luck using that one around here

Street Hunger
01-24-2024, 02:30 PM
Jokic might wind up one of the best players of all time

Mask the Embiid
05-20-2024, 12:35 PM
If he wins a championship this year, he'll pass up Lebron in all time rankings.

https://i.postimg.cc/kGkXWz2w/IMG-2317.gif