PDA

View Full Version : Do imagine sitting around telling your kids about Paul George one day? No, right?

Kblaze8855
01-25-2024, 05:04 PM
No. And that’s fine. I’m not here to argue you should. But it feels like he should be a generational guy. He’s having his best shooting season ever(47/42/91). He’s been smoothly operating for over a decade

https://i.ibb.co/sHDzbDM/IMG-7571.gif

https://i.ibb.co/P4XprhT/IMG-7572.gif

Hed be having his 12 straight all star season if not for 3 years he was hurt. Hes presumably gonna stroll into the hall of fame.

Are you going to remember a single thing he did when that happens?

It’s possible I’ll remember nothing but that 35-38 foot jumper he took thinking the clock was winding down. Just looked cool how he waved off the team. It will be in his career recap I suspect but I’m not sure what else.

Pail George just kinda….coexisted with the superstars without ever becoming one.

He that little notch above Demar career wise or on the same level?

Wardell Curry
01-25-2024, 05:08 PM
You've got to win or you've got to really wow. So far he hasn't done either.

Axe
01-25-2024, 05:11 PM
You've got to win or you've got to really wow. So far he hasn't done either.
This.

Kblaze8855
01-25-2024, 05:19 PM
He’s one of those who wows other NBA players more than he does fans which is unusual. I think he’s who a lot of tall young players study because they don’t wanna be bigs. He has more of a polished handle than KD.

SaltyMeatballs
01-25-2024, 05:21 PM
Unless you made a big impact on the game and stand out with accolades, you aren't going to be brought up that much in future basketball talks. The only other way is if you become a well-liked and known personality on TV like Charles Barkley.

Guys like LeBron, Steph, Jokic, Giannis, and KD will be brought up because they're all in the top 15 all-time convo.

PG will probably end up falling into that T-Mac type of category. Great player, fun to watch, smooth game, all-star for several years, but not someone you'll think about immediately when talking about the best players in their era.

tontoz
01-25-2024, 05:22 PM
Apparently he is at the top of the league in spot up 3 percentage this year.

However his overall efficiency just good not great. He doesnt get to the foul line much and he is shooting poorly on long 2s.

warriorfan
01-25-2024, 05:43 PM
No. And that’s fine. I’m not here to argue you should. But it feels like he should be a generational guy. He’s having his best shooting season ever(47/42/91). He’s been smoothly operating for over a decade

https://i.ibb.co/sHDzbDM/IMG-7571.gif

https://i.ibb.co/P4XprhT/IMG-7572.gif

Hed be having his 12 straight all star season if not for 3 years he was hurt. Hes presumably gonna stroll into the hall of fame.

Are you going to remember a single thing he did when that happens?

It’s possible I’ll remember nothing but that 35-38 foot jumper he took thinking the clock was winding down. Just looked cool how he waved off the team. It will be in his career recap I suspect but I’m not sure what else.

Pail George just kinda….coexisted with the superstars without ever becoming one.

He that little notch above Demar career wise or on the same level?

I do. Would say he was close to superstar level and snapping his leg set back his career a bit. He’s recovered very well from it though. Maybe it wasn’t as bad as blowing out a knee. But an entertaining player with big dunks and a sweet shot. Early career with the Pacers he was one of the best defenders in the league. He didn’t quite have his offensive game as polished as now but it was up and coming. There was a period before his big injury that both sides of his game were clicking and he was looking like he could become one of the best players in the league.

Real Men Wear Green
01-25-2024, 05:51 PM
"Generational?" Nah. He would be discussed with the grandkids if he spent his whole career with one franchise, adding that special hometown hero love and respect to him being a very good but not elite player. But because he's been on 3 teams he may not be getting his jersey retired by anyone. I could see the Pacers doing it but then again he did ask to be traded.

Reggie43
01-25-2024, 06:14 PM
What I most remember about him was the bad shots and dumb defensive plays. He was skilled and talented but not really as good as his numbers suggest. Birdman dunk was memorable but I think it was in the same series he gave Lebron a wide open game winning layup because of a dumb closeout.

Xiao Yao You
01-25-2024, 06:21 PM
This.

but he scored a lot!

FultzNationRISE
01-25-2024, 06:22 PM
Absolutely. You’d be remiss not to put into context for someone just how stifling those PG-Hibbert Pacer teams were. Throw in David West, Born Ready, Psycho T, Collison, Barbosa, Danny Granger. They were stacked.

Could have easily won a chip if not for one man - pardon me, one GOAT - who stood in their way.

I think it’s important for younger generations to realize how grueling the East was at that time. PG definitely has a part to play in that story.

90sgoat
01-25-2024, 06:35 PM
I'll remember him from those Larry Bird Pacer teams that should have made the finals if not for ref corruption in favor of Lebron.

That Pacers team was great to watch.

ArbitraryWater
01-25-2024, 07:13 PM
Dude is a straight up baller

ArbitraryWater
01-25-2024, 07:13 PM
I'll remember him from those Larry Bird Pacer teams that should have made the finals if not for ref corruption in favor of Lebron.

The ****?

If anything those series were known for Hibbert getting away with everything (infamous "verticality") and leBron getting ejected in game 5 to keep a series alive

SATAN
01-25-2024, 07:23 PM

Why are there so many retarded conspiracy theorists on this forum? :facepalm

Axe
01-25-2024, 07:47 PM
but he scored a lot!
Uhh yes, because he isn't a cumbersome big.

SouBeachTalents
01-25-2024, 08:16 PM

Look at this fvcking ref corruption favoring LeBron

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sg7dDkBlyZY&ab_channel=dnc1978

Just sickening

L.Kizzle
01-25-2024, 08:58 PM
Is he a 1st ballot Hall of Famer if he retired tonight?
Guys like Adrian Dantley, Alex English, Bernard King, Reggie Miller, Dominique Wilkens weren't even first ballot. Is he.

NBAGOAT
01-25-2024, 09:07 PM
Is he a 1st ballot Hall of Famer if he retired tonight?
Guys like Adrian Dantley, Alex English, Bernard King, Reggie Miller, Dominique Wilkens weren't even first ballot. Is he.

yes 8 time all star 6 time all-nba blows away everyone's resume besides dominique who shouldve been 1st ballot. him winning more than dominique wont hurt either.

Xiao Yao You
01-25-2024, 09:11 PM
yes 8 time all star 6 time all-nba blows away everyone's resume besides dominique who shouldve been 1st ballot. him winning more than dominique wont hurt either.

Two way player over Dominique anytime but so are the other guys

jayfan
01-25-2024, 09:25 PM
I do. My story will be about how the Clippers made both the best and the worst acquisition of its franchise's history on the same day.

The best being the signing of Kawhi. With his signing, in a capsule, the team would have been set to drop Kawhi in the middle of a scrappy team with great chemistry coming off an inspiring year led at the point by a surprising rookie named SGA.

The worst being the trade for Paul George. That trade completely undid the team chemistry/identity of the year before, discarded a young superstar in the making, and gutted the future of the organization. An epically catastrophic move.

Paul George has always been a selfish player, and has often sucked when it matters.

paksat
01-25-2024, 10:07 PM
steven nash had a 79 game season where he averaged .2 blocks per game

paul george has a 80 game season where he averaged .3 blocks per game

looking at his stats I find it a bit shocking just how few blocks he gets for being a defensive guy

he'll always be known as playoff P though until he does something to change it. He's missed a TON of games and to this day his PPG average is only 20. Good to very good player, just not elite.

imdaman99
01-25-2024, 10:23 PM
He's got a bag and he has handles. He has exceptional defense but always has game winners hit in his face. I dunno how you bridge him into talking to your kids.

OP, who are you telling your kids about? Westbrook or Harden?

L.Kizzle
01-25-2024, 10:47 PM

looking at his stats I find it a bit shocking just how few blocks he gets for being a defensive guy

he'll always be known as playoff P though until he does something to change it. He's missed a TON of games and to this day his PPG average is only 20. Good to very good player, just not elite.
Dennis Rodman wasn't a big block guy.

L.Kizzle
01-25-2024, 10:48 PM
He's got a bag and he has handles. He has exceptional defense but always has game winners hit in his face. I dunno how you bridge him into talking to your kids.

OP, who are you telling your kids about? Westbrook or Harden?

Um the Westbrook broke a record (3x over) that majority folks thought was untouchable.

Xiao Yao You
01-25-2024, 11:05 PM
Dennis Rodman wasn't a big block guy.

overrated stat. Whiteside blocked a lot. He sucked on D

Reggie43
01-25-2024, 11:08 PM
He is not as good a defender as his reputation suggests. One of the dumber defensive lapses I have ever seen is when he fouled a guy and gifted him game winning fts when there is literally 5 tenths of a second left on the inbound. All he had to do is play honest defense going to the rim and let them take a tough shot.

iamgine
01-26-2024, 01:35 AM
He's just not that interesting. This season I don't even think he's been better than Harden. Guy's around Dearon Fox level. Who remembers Dearon Fox?

ImKobe
01-26-2024, 04:07 AM
His leg injury will live on in history lol, even people who don't know who tf PG is/was will probably come across that clip.

Akeem34TheDream
01-26-2024, 09:09 AM
His leg injury will live on in history lol, even people who don't know who tf PG is/was will probably come across that clip.

I think his comeback from that injury is actually legendary.

Akeem34TheDream
01-26-2024, 09:11 AM
He is Vince Carter of this generation. Extremely resourceful, athletic and fun to watch but not that effective. A top 10 player of his time.

Wardell Curry
01-26-2024, 09:59 AM
He is Vince Carter of this generation. Extremely resourceful, athletic and fun to watch but not that effective. A top 10 player of his time.

No he most definitely is not Vince Carter. Vince Carter's dunks will live on for generations until everyone that watched him is gone. People won't care about Paul George in about 6 months.

And no he's not a top 10 player of his time. If he is top 10 of his time he's just barely hanging on and would have to do more with when people's primes occurred rather than who he has actually played against.

Akeem34TheDream
01-26-2024, 10:23 AM
No he most definitely is not Vince Carter. Vince Carter's dunks will live on for generations until everyone that watched him is gone. People won't care about Paul George in about 6 months.

And no he's not a top 10 player of his time. If he is top 10 of his time he's just barely hanging on and would have to do more with when people's primes occurred rather than who he has actually played against.

I would say he is in the top 10 for 2010s. Also he wasn't as flashy as Carter ofc but he had some sick in game dunks. It looked fluid and easy.

I made this comparison before and that one Raptors fan mocked me for it and said Vince was much better. I don't think so. He was great with the Pacers. Sure EC sucked back then but they made ECF twice, and giving Heat a fight for it.

jayfan
01-26-2024, 10:37 AM

Not since his rookie year have I found him fun to watch. More like infuriating to watch.

Wardell Curry
01-26-2024, 10:37 AM
2010s 100% ahead of George during that decade:

LeBron, Steph, Kawhi, Durant, Paul, Harden, Westbrook, AD

That leaves 2 spots. And you're just using arbitrary numbers by looking at 2010 through 2019.

There have been years that George has been top 10, top 5, maybe higher. But top 10 overall as a baseline for his career? Eh, debatable.

Then you've got arguments like Carmelo, Wade (fell off of a cliff tho), Klay, Lillard, Love. Not saying I'd necessarily take all those guys ahead of George during this time, just saying there are arguments to be made.

BarberSchool
01-26-2024, 01:28 PM
He’s a lot like McGrady; only post injury Paul has done very nicely for himself.

Truly talent wise, was always one of the best in the league.
I imagine his podcast is gonna help him get the notoriety he deserves/deserved.

But yes, as some others have hinted at, post injury he wasn’t nearly as WOW athletically and explosively as he was prior. But his handle and J and reading ability all got much smoother and more like “older Kobe” post-injury.

tpols
01-26-2024, 01:44 PM

Vince Carter and Paul George were extremely effective leading playoff teams deep multiple times. They just aren't on the superstar MVP tier although young VC was close.

Paul George is basically a better offensive version of Pippen, but he spent his prime playing with Roy Hibbert and Westbrick instead of Michael Jordan. That's tough to win with when you got guys like Lebron and Wade teaming up. Pretty much impossible.

StrongLurk
01-26-2024, 06:28 PM
I never talk about PG period. Never have during his playing time.

Definitely an all star player, definitely NOT generational.

FilmyCogTurner
01-26-2024, 07:29 PM
I agree with the VC reference however definitely not TMac. Orlando Mcgrady was eye to eye with Kobe and PG although he can compete with the top superstars he's never been viewed as one.

Crazy his PPG is only 20 I would have guessed 25.

imdaman99
01-26-2024, 09:41 PM
Vince Carter and Paul George were extremely effective leading playoff teams deep multiple times. They just aren't on the superstar MVP tier although young VC was close.

Paul George is basically a better offensive version of Pippen, but he spent his prime playing with Roy Hibbert and Westbrick instead of Michael Jordan. That's tough to win with when you got guys like Lebron and Wade teaming up. Pretty much impossible.

He also shot 2-16 against the Jazz in a closeout 5pt loss. But I guess without his 5pts and 6 turnovers, they would have lost by 10.
So let's just blame it on westbrook. FOH

Xiao Yao You
01-26-2024, 10:05 PM
He also shot 2-16 against the Jazz in a closeout 5pt loss. But I guess without his 5pts and 6 turnovers, they would have lost by 10.
So let's just blame it on westbrook. FOH

I'd blame it on Donovon and "starter only" Carmelo. They targeted Carmelo the whole series and Donovon wouldn't bench him. Westbrook sucked to begin the series

Axe
01-26-2024, 10:51 PM
Funny how kawhi hasn't won any rings yet with this guy. :oldlol:

pandiani17
01-26-2024, 11:40 PM

You said what?:roll:
When did VC lead a team deep into the playoffs? Posts like this discredit your previous opinions, showing you are making up stuff.