PDA

View Full Version : Thibodeau: NBA probably trend toward allowing more defense, gone too far other way

eliteballer
02-03-2024, 03:50 PM
Tom Thibodeau: “The game’s in a great place..(NBA will) probably be trending towards allowing more defensively (in future)..it’s gone probably too far the other way..Just like in the 90s, it went too far with the physicality. It wasn’t good for the game.”

https://twitter.com/IanBegley/status/1752482971045556616

FKAri
02-03-2024, 05:37 PM
NBA rules never made any sense. Guys can't even agree on what's a foul.

90sgoat
02-03-2024, 06:09 PM
There's a lot I'd like to see changed, but probably I'd settle for:

Penalize moving screens - it's absurd what constitutes a screen today. It's not even screens, it's just players moving into the path of the defender. A screen in normal basketball has to be set for some time. You can't just move next to a player and then instantly move. That's not a screen. These "screens" allow waaay too much separation and makes PnR all dominant.

Allow incidental contact - it's not always what you call, but what you don't call. Simply allow a baseline of contact on drives. You don't have to call something just because there was contact. This is a major difference vs FIBA ball and previous NBA.

Cancel Defensive 3 seconds - this is the big one. The defensive 3 seconds has almost made the NBA a different sport. Basketball, for almost all its history, and still in FIBA, has a big guy in the paint. That's where a lot of the excitement of the game comes from. Someone like Ant, Vince, Kobe, MJ, AI going to the hoop and trying to beat the mountain. This excitement just isn't there anymore. Dunks are meaningless. Acrobatic finishes are meaningless.

Xiao Yao You
02-03-2024, 07:02 PM
call foul on the offensive player when he throws himself into the defensive player who is in perfect defensive position

Kblaze8855
02-03-2024, 07:32 PM
call foul on the offensive player when he throws himself into the defensive player who is in perfect defensive position

Id settle for just calling nothing even when the defensive position is arguable. Im all for the no call. Let everyone play unless the foul is clear. No 50/50 shit.

Duffy Pratt
02-03-2024, 09:03 PM
Id settle for just calling nothing even when the defensive position is arguable. Im all for the no call. Let everyone play unless the foul is clear. No 50/50 shit.

How about simply call a foul on the player who initiates contact. Or a no call, depending on whether it’s incidental contact.

Also, in most situations, if a player goes to the ground and there is nothing called, it’s a flop.

And just get rid of the illegal defense rules. However a team wants to occupy the floor on D is OK.

Im Still Ballin
02-03-2024, 10:10 PM
Allow hand-checking in the backcourt to encourage full-court pressure and scores off turnovers. Make it hard for teams to bring the ball up the court.

FKAri
02-03-2024, 10:32 PM

Penalize moving screens - it's absurd what constitutes a screen today. It's not even screens, it's just players moving into the path of the defender. A screen in normal basketball has to be set for some time. You can't just move next to a player and then instantly move. That's not a screen. These "screens" allow waaay too much separation and makes PnR all dominant.

Allow incidental contact - it's not always what you call, but what you don't call. Simply allow a baseline of contact on drives. You don't have to call something just because there was contact. This is a major difference vs FIBA ball and previous NBA.

Cancel Defensive 3 seconds - this is the big one. The defensive 3 seconds has almost made the NBA a different sport. Basketball, for almost all its history, and still in FIBA, has a big guy in the paint. That's where a lot of the excitement of the game comes from. Someone like Ant, Vince, Kobe, MJ, AI going to the hoop and trying to beat the mountain. This excitement just isn't there anymore. Dunks are meaningless. Acrobatic finishes are meaningless.

I like these. The problem is clearly defining what that base line of contact on drives is. Also, defensive 3 isn't coming back for commercial reasons. It lowers the value of the guard and increases the value of the big. And well big guys don't sell shoes.

You could always do it. Iverson was the king of this. Reggie Miller built a career out of what is now an offensive foul.

Allow hand-checking in the backcourt to encourage full-court pressure and scores off turnovers. Make it hard for teams to bring the ball up the court.

Hand check won't change any of that. That stuff was going away without the rule changes because guards were continuing to get better at handling the ball at high speeds. Hand check is not stopping a guy with a head of steam.

SATAN
02-04-2024, 12:03 AM
Games tonight...

Cam Thomas: 40 points
Curry: 60 points
Trae: 35 points
Fox: 41 points
Brunson: 36 points
Giannis: 48 points
Ball hog: 40 points

90sgoat
02-04-2024, 07:19 AM
It lowers the value of the guard

Does it really?

Or does it only lower the value of some guards and raises it of others?

I mean, guards like Ant who can dunk and finish acrobatically, they'd be bigger stars when they had all the highlights of dunking on 7 footers.

We remember Vince from dunking on people in the def 3 second era, not Vince the 3 point shooter.

Xiao Yao You
02-04-2024, 10:05 AM
Does it really?

I mean, guards like Ant who can dunk and finish acrobatically, they'd be bigger stars when they had all the highlights of dunking on 7 footers.

We remember Vince from dunking on people in the def 3 second era, not Vince the 3 point shooter.

Him being able to shoot as well is what set him apart from most other high fliers so I certainly remember him for that

Baller234
02-04-2024, 11:24 AM

Co-sign all of these

You can't expect to drive to the line and not make contact, and the defense shouldn't be penalized.

FKAri
02-04-2024, 12:49 PM
Does it really?

True. All these little guards in the league that are burning defenders and getting layups are going to have it tough. The guards who will be mostly fine are the ones like Ant who have the strength and elevation to finish through contact. Guys like Trae and Brunson would see a huge dip in production.

FilmyCogTurner
02-04-2024, 11:22 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5H5eQx9lKw

I would like to see plays like this no longer go to question. I have seen Cam J and Ant have several dunks ruled an offensive foul and I think it's absurd to penalize athleticism. The defender should challenge at the rim or get the F out of the way. Getting in the way to take the charge is barely basketball.

90sgoat
02-05-2024, 07:21 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5H5eQx9lKw

I would like to see plays like this no longer go to question. I have seen Cam J and Ant have several dunks ruled an offensive foul and I think it's absurd to penalize athleticism. The defender should challenge at the rim or get the F out of the way. Getting in the way to take the charge is barely basketball.

Yeah, completely agree.

I hate this meme of trying to take an offensive foul in the paint.

Players do this because they feel they can't content a drive though. You also have to let them jump and contest without it being an automatic foul.

90sgoat
02-05-2024, 07:24 AM
True. All these little guards in the league that are burning defenders and getting layups are going to have it tough. The guards who will be mostly fine are the ones like Ant who have the strength and elevation to finish through contact. Guys like Trae and Brunson would see a huge dip in production.

They'd not score 30 anymore, at least not on good efficiency.

I mean, they're both the same player fundamentally as Mark Price, Allen Iverson, Kevin Johnson etc.

People forget AI used to hover around 40% until the rule changes.

WhiteKyrie
02-05-2024, 08:25 PM
Confirmed the greatest player and scorer ever also did it in the most physical, grueling, and difficult to score defensive scoring climate ever.

Dbrog
02-05-2024, 09:06 PM
In respect to the Thibodeau quote, we heard directly from Silver that this isn't true when asked from KG. He WANTS the game to continue even further in the offensive direction because that's what "sells." Funny cause NBAs numbers are way down compared to the 90s which he said quote, "the game became too physical"

As far as I'm concerned, todays game is essentially the Steroid era in baseball. You have to throw out nearly all personal best stats players get.

Xiao Yao You
02-05-2024, 09:19 PM
In respect to the Thibodeau quote, we heard directly from Silver that this isn't true when asked from KG. He WANTS the game to continue even further in the offensive direction because that's what "sells." Funny cause NBAs numbers are way down compared to the 90s which he said quote, "the game became too physical"

As far as I'm concerned, todays game is essentially the Steroid era in baseball. You have to throw out nearly all personal best stats players get.

it did become too physical. Now it's went way too far the other way. Need to find a happy medium

Dbrog
02-05-2024, 09:24 PM
it did become too physical. Now it's went way too far the other way. Need to find a happy medium

Not arguing one way or the other, I'm just saying this new game produces some crazy outlier stats, which KBlaze has been vocal about. Also was pointing out it's strange to me that Silver seems to think people love this Rec league style despite viewership saying otherwise. Maybe he sees the amount of money the TV/streaming deals are giving and doesn't actually give AF about how many fans watch