View Full Version : Is Cade the problem in Detroit

Manny98
02-08-2024, 11:44 AM
They just beat the Kings on the road last night WITHOUT Cade

This season they're 4-6 without Cade and 3-37 with him

Coincidence or is there a deep lying problem

Real Men Wear Green
02-08-2024, 12:04 PM
You're better off losing 70 games than 50. The whole winning/losing argument would be more meaningful if they were a good team without him instead of still being bad just not bad enough for the top pick. They like ly should adjust his role to improve but they clearly have several problems not just one.

90sgoat
02-08-2024, 02:54 PM
I asked the question what exactly it is he does on a basketball court.

He's no Luka and honestly he seems more as Michael Carter Williams.

FultzNationRISE
02-08-2024, 02:57 PM
On a team that bad theres a lot of problems. Whether or not Cade is one of them I have no idea because I really havent watched him. But Detroit is just a mess from top to bottom.

RRR3
02-08-2024, 04:39 PM
He is a problem but not THE problem and frankly him being a problem is symptomatic of a bigger problem. What I mean by this is he is a problem because he’s being used as if he’s Luka or prime Harden but he’s nowhere near good enough for that role and he limits Jaden Ivey by doing this. However the team is encouraging him to play like this because he was a number one overall pick. I don’t think Cade is necessarily a horrible player but he’s horrible in the role he’s being asked to play.

beasted
02-09-2024, 09:40 AM
The Pistons are terrible. Yes, Cade should have a lower usage, but no he is not the problem. That team literally has no identity and does nothing well. Not drives, shooting, getting to the line, assists, defense, offensive rebounds, defensive rebounds, drawn charges, nothing.... they are thoroughly and comprehensively terrible.

I would not run out and max Cunningham this summer when he's extension eligible, and I'd instead wait for the end of his rookie contract to evaluate him for 1 more season (unless he's willing to sign for under a max), but that doesn't mean I have any reservations that he is intended to be a key part of the core moving forward. He just might not be the icon of the core.

beasted
02-09-2024, 09:50 AM
Pace adjusted, Detroit turns the ball over the 2nd most in the NBA, fouls the most in the NBA, and they steal the least in the NBA. They have the 2nd most "heaves" which says their offense in general is broken and take desperation attempts.

You can't just blindly blame these stats on 1 player.

90sgoat
02-09-2024, 09:56 AM
Cade might be a good fit as a 6th man. Reminds me a bit of Shaun Livingston.

Probably too early for him to accept that role, but generally these tall, do-it-all point guards, seem most fit to dominate against lesser opposition, unless they have crazy athleticism or skill.

aj1987
02-09-2024, 04:44 PM
The Pistons are terrible. Yes, Cade should have a lower usage, but no he is not the problem. That team literally has no identity and does nothing well. Not drives, shooting, getting to the line, assists, defense, offensive rebounds, defensive rebounds, drawn charges, nothing.... they are thoroughly and comprehensively terrible.

I would not run out and max Cunningham this summer when he's extension eligible, and I'd instead wait for the end of his rookie contract to evaluate him for 1 more season (unless he's willing to sign for under a max), but that doesn't mean I have any reservations that he is intended to be a key part of the core moving forward. He just might not be the icon of the core.

Cade might put up some good numbers, but he's inconsistent and atrocious on the defensive end.

beasted
02-09-2024, 05:15 PM
Cade might put up some good numbers, but he's inconsistent and atrocious on the defensive end.

His stats are inflated, for sure. I see him as a taller D'Angelo Russell.

It's hard to accurately judge his defense when, as a whole, the entire Detroit team is terrible, though. He might fit a disciplined system like how Curry improved from terrible during the Warriors' lottery years to now becoming passable as a system defender

aj1987
02-12-2024, 02:52 AM
His stats are inflated, for sure. I see him as a taller D'Angelo Russell.

It's hard to accurately judge his defense when, as a whole, the entire Detroit team is terrible, though. He might fit a disciplined system like how Curry improved from terrible during the Warriors' lottery years to now becoming passable as a system defender
The fews games I've watched him play this season, he's been just flat out terrible.

I would say Curry is still a below average defender. Cade has the tools, but lets see how he develops.

Axe
02-12-2024, 08:29 AM
Partly i guess.