PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone go to a great team and win and fade into obscurity more than Glen Rice?

Kblaze8855
02-10-2024, 12:44 PM
He was all NBA second and third team and the third and seventh leading scorer in the league before he was traded to the Lakers, where he essentially stopped existing in the eyes of history.

It’s like he wasn’t even there. He was prime age and still had game, but he just faded into nothing on that team.

His name doesn’t even get listed often when people talk about the Lakers of that time. Hes right there

https://youtu.be/7tTq2bDHDf8?si=HBzCKR_KiEaLo0Zn

In the finals. Helping secure a key win.

The only time I hear his name the last 15 years is people talking about how he ****ed Sarah Palin.

Im not saying he was some super legend but…he was a somebody.

Has a somebody become a nobody when they joined someone else’s team faster?

Kevin Love is about the only competition.

Maybe Ron Harper joining the bulls as well.

Not many options. He went from star to “Oh yea…he was on that team…” quick.

Xiao Yao You
02-10-2024, 12:48 PM
the real A.D. to Dallas

Kblaze8855
02-10-2024, 01:01 PM
Going Bad boys to Dallas feels like it would make you less prominent in the eyes of history. Being the second or third option on a great team is usually good for perception.

bison
02-10-2024, 01:14 PM
This is not how I remember it. He was big on that lakers first championship. Like maybe the best 3 point guy in laker championship history. We needed him as a kick out shooter whenever Shaq was double teamed. We never had a reliable 3 point shooter since Shaq joined the team. I distinctly remember adding glen rice put us over the top. But the guy was always disgruntled. He was unhappy in Charlotte, unhappy in LA and unhappy in NY. We only had one full season with him and we gave up fan favorite Eddie jones for him. I would hardly say ‘faded into obscurity’. He’ll always be a 90s guy and I associate him with the Miami heat more than anything else.

1987_Lakers
02-10-2024, 01:30 PM
I remember Phil Jackson not being a fan of his defense.

hateraid
02-10-2024, 02:41 PM
Kevin Love

He'd be more obscure if the Jordaneers didn't cling on to him as ammo for their anti-Lebron sentiments

RRR3
02-10-2024, 02:43 PM
Interesting how the Lakers had what I’m sure was viewed as a big 3 in 2000 but then they won 2 more without Rice proving they didn’t really need him.

Reggie43
02-10-2024, 07:14 PM
He was at the end of his prime, its normal for some guys to fall off after that.

Phoenix
02-10-2024, 08:08 PM
He's one of those guys who you forget even has a title. Same with Mitch Richmond ( his role was almost ceremonial on that 02 Lakers team).

SouBeachTalents
02-10-2024, 08:12 PM
He's one of those guys who you forget even has a title. Same with Mitch Richmond ( his role was almost ceremonial on that 02 Lakers team).
Gary Payton's the one I always forget has a ring :lol

Phoenix
02-10-2024, 08:31 PM

Yep, and Zo on the same team ( mind you I remember him backing up Shaq moreso than Payton being there).

FultzNationRISE
02-10-2024, 08:35 PM

Zo, White Chocolate, and 'Toine as well from that team.

Lotta late career 'legends' people sometimes forget were there for that run. In fact it might be the first true example of a 'collusion' ring. Not the first attempt at a superteam, but the '99 Rockets and 04 Lakers didnt win the chip obviously. I think the Heat were the first to do it.

That's why I dont really count Wade's first ring. I dont really count his next two either, since he wasnt the first option. And thus I dont really count Lebron playing with him as any kind of 'superteam' in general.

Xiao Yao You
02-10-2024, 08:45 PM
Zo, White Chocolate, and 'Toine as well from that team.

Lotta late career 'legends' people sometimes forget were there for that run. In fact it might be the first true example of a 'collusion' ring. Not the first attempt at a superteam, but the '99 Rockets and 04 Lakers didnt win the chip obviously. I think the Heat were the first to do it.

That's why I dont really count Wade's first ring. I dont really count his next two either, since he wasnt the first option. And thus I dont really count Lebron playing with him as any kind of 'superteam' in general.

yeah let's not count one of the greatest performances ever :lol

kawhileonard2
02-10-2024, 10:28 PM
He may have been the 2nd option on the Lakers in 2000.

John8204
02-11-2024, 05:33 AM
I can think of a couple of other options...Mitch Richmond actually won on The Lakers

90sgoat
02-11-2024, 05:35 AM
Those Laker teams were stacked.

Jasper
02-11-2024, 10:12 PM
how bout a raptor that won in Miami , and became a HOF'er ... lol

iamgine
02-11-2024, 11:11 PM
He's like Demar Derozan.

If Demar went to a great team as a 3rd option, win and retire soon after, he'd fall into obscurity too.

pandiani17
02-12-2024, 07:52 AM
I can think of a couple of other options...Mitch Richmond actually won on The Lakers

Also Glenn Robinson with the Spurs in 2005. There have been lots of players like that, who have gone ring-chasing (some players without winning the championship). David West on the Warriors, Dwight Howard in 2020, Peja Stojakovic and Caron Butler in the Mavs 2011, etc.