PDA

View Full Version : Kuzma didn't want to go to Dallas?

Real Men Wear Green
02-13-2024, 12:53 PM
No link, just reacting in real time to a story on First Take. Apparently a trade was going to happen but Kuzma asked them to call it off so they did. A reason why was not given. I'm just guessing he didn't want to lose touches in spite of making more money due to less taxes, better weather, and a chance to play in the postseason.

Real Men Wear Green
02-13-2024, 12:56 PM
Also to be considered is Dinwiddie picking the Lakers over Dallas and Grant Williams talking bad about the Mavericks (felt guys played for themselves and not the good of the team). They definitely may have a bad reputation with players.

tontoz
02-13-2024, 01:18 PM
It's true. Wiz mgt told Kuzma they would trade him if they got a deal they couldn't refuse. They got a borderline deal so they left it up to Kuzma and he chose to stay.

Manny98
02-13-2024, 02:28 PM
Grant is just salty he got traded to the hornets and that nobody in the locker room liked him

Real Men Wear Green
02-13-2024, 02:45 PM
Grant is just salty he got traded to the hornets and that nobody in the locker room liked him
And what about Kuzma rejecting a situation that is theoretically better in every way?

Xiao Yao You
02-13-2024, 02:52 PM
Asked by The Athletic why he told Winger he wanted to remain with the Wizards instead of joining the Mavericks, Kuzma answered, “In my career, I won a championship. So, I understand that when we play this game of basketball it’s not about contending for a playoff spot. (https://theathletic.com/5271857/2024/02/13/kyle-kuzma-wizards-mavericks-near-trade/) It’s about contending for an NBA championship. There’s only like three or four contenders — true contenders. I just felt like our timelines didn’t line up.”

– via The Athletic (https://theathletic.com/5271857/2024/02/13/kyle-kuzma-wizards-mavericks-near-trade/)

unlike ISH he doesn't think Dallas is a contender

Manny98
02-13-2024, 03:30 PM
And what about Kuzma rejecting a situation that is theoretically better in every way?

Better how? Significantly less touches and minutes

Real Men Wear Green
02-13-2024, 03:33 PM
Better how? Significantly less touches and minutes

Dallas has no state income tax, warm weather, and should be a playoff team. He likely would get led touches but as the third-best player why would he get less minutes?

Manny98
02-13-2024, 04:00 PM
Dallas has no state income tax, warm weather, and should be a playoff team. He likely would get led touches but as the third-best player why would he get less minutes?
He gets all the touches he wants in Washington in Dallas he'd be reduced to a spot up shooter

ShawkFactory
02-13-2024, 04:10 PM
He gets all the touches he wants in Washington in Dallas he'd be reduced to a spot up shooter

With a chance of competing for a ring as opposed to being on the worst team in the league.

Wardell Curry
02-13-2024, 04:12 PM
Different people have different motivations and desires. News at 11.

Fans expect all players to want to win above all. They all do not view their careers this way.

Manny98
02-13-2024, 04:13 PM
With a chance of competing for a ring as opposed to being on the worst team in the league.

Most players don't care about winning rings and Kuzma has already won, I assume he's more interested in getting paid for the rest of his career

Manny98
02-13-2024, 04:15 PM
Different people have different motivations and desires. News at 11.

Fans expect all players to want to win above all. They all do not view their careers this way.
OP has a weird obsession over Kyrie and is trying to imply that Kuzma rejected Dallas of him

Wardell Curry
In fact, if I had to guess, most players in the league are more worried about getting paid more than anything else. Even the stars that claim they want to win. Payday is #1. No judgement. Don't care. That's just what it is.

Real Men Wear Green

Do you understand that no one is saying he would like his role in Dallas offense? In my second post I theorize that Dallas is getting a bad rep with players. Having a rookie they don't want would be a reason for a bad reputation.

Xiao Yao You
02-13-2024, 04:16 PM
Sounds like he's all for winning rings just doesn't think Dallas is a contender

Real Men Wear Green
02-13-2024, 04:18 PM
Most players don't care about winning rings and Kuzma has already won, I assume he's more interested in getting paid for the rest of his career

And yet you ignore the point about income tax... it go over your head or something?

Real Men Wear Green
02-13-2024, 04:19 PM
OP has a weird obsession over Kyrie and is trying to imply that Kuzma rejected Dallas of him

Didn't mention Irving at all. In fact if it's about touches the primary culprit would be Doncic. You're batting 0.

rawimpact
02-13-2024, 04:20 PM
Sounds like he's all for winning rings just doesn't think Dallas is a contender

I don't think anyone does

Wardell Curry
02-13-2024, 04:21 PM
And yet you ignore the point about income tax... it go over your head or something?

I think the implication was that with a lesser role he gets lesser stats and is less likely to get more money later. He's the same player either way but it's pretty clear that NBA GMs do not all know what they are doing and view things this way.

Kyle Kuzma is sort of in the Ben Simmons camp of being more concerned with money/stardom than winning. Never struck me as a basketball first guy.

Xiao Yao You
02-13-2024, 04:24 PM
I don't think anyone does

plenty on ISH seem to think they are. Despite the fact that they are currently a play-in team

Manny98
02-13-2024, 04:26 PM

1. Players get taxed on a game by game basis so they still play income tax for games played outside of Texas

2. Property tax and every other tax is higher in Texas which makes up for the no income tax so you're not exactly avoiding expenses, there's a reason why free agents aren't flocking to Texas teams :oldlol:

Manny98
02-13-2024, 04:27 PM
Didn't mention Irving at all. In fact if it's about touches the primary culprit would be Doncic. You're batting 0.

Why else would you randomly make a thread about Kyle ****ing Kuzma, stop playing dumb :lol

Wardell Curry
02-13-2024, 04:32 PM
1. Players get taxed on a game by game basis so they still play income tax for games played outside of Texas

2. Property tax and every other tax is higher in Texas which makes up for the no income tax so you're not exactly avoiding expenses, there's a reason why free agents aren't flocking to Texas teams :oldlol:

I stand corrected, you were talking about taxes.

Well, whatever. Texas is pretty middle of the road in terms of overall taxes if you reside there, yes, but you don't have to buy a home there, so no state income tax would be beneficial in said scenario.

Real Men Wear Green
02-13-2024, 04:33 PM
I think the implication was that with a lesser role he gets lesser stats and is less likely to get more money later. He's the same player either way but it's pretty clear that NBA GMs do not all know what they are doing and view things this way.

Kyle Kuzma is sort of in the Ben Simmons camp of being more concerned with money/stardom than winning. Never struck me as a basketball first guy.

I'm not a Kuzma fan but he doesn't deserve to be compared to Simmons, he works for his money. And he already signed his deal , he isn't a free agent until 2027.

Real Men Wear Green
02-13-2024, 04:36 PM
Why else would you randomly make a thread about Kyle ****ing Kuzma, stop playing dumb :lol
I literally posted in the first post was reacting to something I saw on TV. You clearly aren't just playing dumb.

Real Men Wear Green
02-13-2024, 04:37 PM

https://www.cato.org/blog/another-athlete-chooses-low-tax-state#:~:text=Williams%20mentioned%20Massachusetts '%20Millionaire's%20Tax,to%20nine%20percent%20for% 20millionaires.

Manny98
02-13-2024, 04:40 PM
https://www.cato.org/blog/another-athlete-chooses-low-tax-state#:~:text=Williams%20mentioned%20Massachusetts '%20Millionaire's%20Tax,to%20nine%20percent%20for% 20millionaires.
Yes and the difference isn't that big for most players otherwise Texas would be the hottest free agent destination which it isn't

Real Men Wear Green
02-13-2024, 04:51 PM
Yes and the difference isn't that big for most players otherwise Texas would be the hottest free agent destination which it isn't

Money isn't the only thing players care about but it's a factor that could and does work in Texas team's favor. But Dallas is now viewed on such a way that players are overlooking their advantages.

RRR3
02-13-2024, 04:52 PM
Kuzma would rather toss up bricks on a 12 win team than be a role player.

tpols
02-13-2024, 06:16 PM

That's a joke quote because kuzma had very little to do with winning the Disney bubble ring which honestly didn't have anywhere near the pressure of a real ring where's there's 20 or 30,000 fans screaming in your face while you play.

The irony becomes even more palpable when he's currently playing for the Wizards who are one of the worst franchises in NBA history and the Mavs over the past 2 decades have been fairly successful.

Kuzma would be like the 9th or 10th man for current Dallas. He would barely even see the court which is bad for his $$$ bag going forward. Better to stack bread on a bum squad in that case.

Xiao Yao You
02-13-2024, 06:22 PM
That's a joke quote because kuzma had very little to do with winning the Disney bubble ring which honestly didn't have anywhere near the pressure of a real ring where's there's 20 or 30,000 fans screaming in your face while you play.

The irony becomes even more palpable when he's currently playing for the Wizards who are one of the worst franchises in NBA history and the Mavs over the past 2 decades have been fairly successful.

Kuzma would be like the 9th or 10th man for current Dallas. He would barely even see the court which is bad for his $$$ bag going forward. Better to stack bread on a bum squad in that case.

hard to imagine he'd be their 9th or 10th man

tontoz
02-13-2024, 06:25 PM

He's just a hater.

Kuzma has good skills his one big issue is shot selection. Too many contested jumpers.

If PJ Washington can start in Dallas then Kuzma certainly could.

tpols
02-13-2024, 06:27 PM

Not playing him over

Luka
Kyrie
Lively
Hardaway Jr.
Gafford
Kleber
Green

For sure...

Or probably even PJ or Derrick Jones Jr.

The mavs don't need another shot chucker. They need athleticism size and hustle to compliment their star players. Luzma just doesn't fit. Hes better off playing for bum teams and making money.

Real Men Wear Green
02-13-2024, 06:37 PM
New thought: Kuzma and Porzingis were teammates last year. Porzingis did not like his role in Dallas and most likely answered any questions about Dallas from teammates honestly.

Xiao Yao You
02-13-2024, 06:38 PM
New thought: Kuzma and Porzingis were teammates last year. Porzingis did not like his role in Dallas and most likely answered any questions about Dallas from teammates honestly.

could certainly be a factor. Might not have enjoyed a similar role with Lebron as well

Real Men Wear Green
02-13-2024, 06:41 PM
Not playing him over

Luka
Kyrie
Lively
Hardaway Jr.
Gafford
Kleber
Green

For sure...

The mavs don't need another shot chucker. They need athleticism size and hustle to compliment their star players. Luzma just doesn't fit. Hes better off playing for bum teams and making money.

They would have to trade some of those guys to Washington just to make the money match. Of course he would pay over most of them. You don't give up first round picks and rotation players to pay a guy 25 mil so that you can not play him.

ShawkFactory
02-13-2024, 06:42 PM
Not playing him over

Luka
Kyrie
Lively
Hardaway Jr.
Gafford
Kleber
Green

For sure...

Kuzma is capable of being a good hustle guy though. That’s kind of who he did on the Lakers.

He doesn’t be taking that many shots he should be focusing on defense, rebounding, and transition play. Spotting up when open in the half court.

FultzNationRISE
02-13-2024, 06:44 PM
Kuzma has been saying from Day 1 in Washington he wants to be there and be the guy they build around. He's said it many times well before this issue came up. So this is entirely consistent with his overall position.

Grant Williams apparently had a reputation in Boston for being insufferable in the locker room, perhaps one of the reasons they didnt make much effort to bring him back.

And Dinwiddie was traded away by Dallas, he seems to not want to feel like a cuck (something OP has difficulty relating to) by crawling back to them. I'm sure he also feels he's more likely to get opportunities playing with a back court of DLo and Reaves vs a backcourt of Irving and Doncic.

tontoz
02-13-2024, 06:44 PM
Obviously PJ wouldn't be there if they traded for Kuzma. PJ was their 2d choice when they couldnt get Kuzma.

Real Men Wear Green
02-13-2024, 06:54 PM
Kuzma has been saying from Day 1 in Washington he wants to be there and be the guy they build around. He's said it many times well before this issue came up. So this is entirely consistent with his overall position. he knows that they tried to trade him and are looking to deal him if the deal is good. He would be silly to think he's being built around, they aren't attached and he's not a franchise player.

Grant Williams apparently had a reputation in Boston for being insufferable in the locker room, perhaps one of the reasons they didnt make much effort to bring him back.You are writing fiction. No one complained about Williams in Boston and they offered as much as Dallas. He chose Dallas for the chance to play more and the lower tax rate. It was his decision not theirs.

tontoz
02-13-2024, 08:54 PM
There is another possibility here. Maybe he wants to go back to the Lakers but they won't have the picks to trade until summer.

90sgoat
02-13-2024, 09:50 PM
Why does Cuban keep chasing black players like he is some cuck?

Just go get white players and euros.

I've said this for years, Cuban is pathetic, blacks don't want to go to Dallas, yet Cuban keeps chasing them like a simp.

Xiao Yao You
02-13-2024, 09:56 PM
maybe Cuban likes guys that are athletic?

FultzNationRISE
02-13-2024, 11:02 PM

I've said this for years, Cuban is pathetic, blacks don't want to go to Dallas, yet Cuban keeps chasing them like a simp.

He traded to get Doncic, he traded for KP. He traded for Irving. He traded for Dinwiddie. They traded away Boban. They let Brunson go. They drafted Derrick Lively.

I'm noticing a pattern here.

The pattern is there is no pattern.

NBAGOAT
02-14-2024, 01:56 AM
Either wants all the touches or a really good chance at a title I guess or just wants to go back to la. I think kings have wanted him for awhile too he fits pretty well but a trade never happens. Maybe he’s waiting for okc lol but when okc makes a move I think it’ll be bigger then kuzma

warriorfan
02-14-2024, 02:00 AM
i didn’t read any of this but rmwg or what ever is a huge cuck

90sgoat
02-14-2024, 07:31 AM
He traded to get Doncic, he traded for KP. He traded for Irving. He traded for Dinwiddie. They traded away Boban. They let Brunson go. They drafted Derrick Lively.

I'm noticing a pattern here.

The pattern is there is no pattern.

True, it's that Nico guy more than anything.

Also, it's really only american blacks.

I bet Wemby, Toody, Giannis etc would be fine in Dallas.

jayfan
02-14-2024, 09:24 AM

Not in every way. Kuzma is first option in Washington. He'd be what, third option at best in Dallas?

Some players covet this over everything.

90sgoat
02-14-2024, 09:28 AM
Not in every way. Kuzma is first option in Washington. He'd be what, a distant third option, at best, in Dallas?

Yeah, not only would he be third, he'd be competing for his looks with Tim Hardaway Junior, unless Timmy was included in the trade.

Real Men Wear Green
02-14-2024, 10:17 AM
Not in every way. Kuzma is first option in Washington. He'd be what, third option at best in Dallas?

You could be right here but there isn't much status attached to being the star of a bad team. We've already seen Porzingis choose to be the Celtics third scorer over being the star in Washington.

tontoz
02-14-2024, 10:19 AM

Seek help

Street Hunger
02-24-2024, 06:12 PM
I wonder what criteria he factors in when deciding where he would want to go in the league. Different players are looking for different things. I wonder what kuzma finds most important

Xiao Yao You
02-24-2024, 06:29 PM
sounded like he'd go to a contender. Didn't think Dallas was

FultzNationRISE
05-23-2024, 05:13 AM
Also to be considered is Dinwiddie picking the Lakers over Dallas and Grant Williams talking bad about the Mavericks (felt guys played for themselves and not the good of the team). They definitely may have a bad reputation with players.

They definitely may.

Somewhere out there, Dinwiddie, Kuzma and Grant Williams are having a good laugh at this Mavericks team…

ArbitraryWater
05-23-2024, 08:43 AM

was ISH right and Xiao wrong again?

NBAGOAT
05-23-2024, 09:04 AM
I was wrong too. Thought pj wasn’t a playoff rotation guy and preferred kuzma. Kuzma couldn’t play defense like pj has

BarberSchool
05-23-2024, 10:05 AM
It was plain to see the first game after the trade against OKC, that Dallas was IMMEDIATELY a real top 5 contender, if you played the game at a high level, and had working eyes:

https://youtu.be/-Kkq51qrnUQ?feature=shared

Manny98
05-23-2024, 10:56 AM
sounded like he'd go to a contender. Didn't think Dallas was
https://i.postimg.cc/fL3MMzSB/tumblr-micnv4-JFDP1rsi11co1-500.gif

90sgoat
05-23-2024, 08:10 PM
I was wrong too. Thought pj wasn’t a playoff rotation guy and preferred kuzma. Kuzma couldn’t play defense like pj has

Same, I will eat crow and admit that Nico knocked it out of the park with Lively, PJ and Gafford. Those were exactly the right guys at exactly the right price.

ImKobe
05-23-2024, 08:51 PM

Kuz could be more versatile on defense with his size though. Could have used him as a small ball 5 in the right match-ups. Offensively I don't think he'd have been a great fit as the 3rd guy, maybe I'm wrong but what he showed in LA was that he struggled without having the ball in his hands consistently, and on a team with Luka & Kyrie he'd have the ball maybe even less than he did with Bron & AD on the court.

tpols
05-24-2024, 11:03 AM
Not playing him over

Luka
Kyrie
Lively
Hardaway Jr.
Gafford
Kleber
Green

For sure...

Turns out yall were tripping. No way I'm starting kuzma over PJ or DJJ given the defense and hustle they have. If Kuzma took their minutes this Dallas team would be worse for it.

tontoz
05-24-2024, 11:13 AM

Turns out yall were tripping. No way I'm starting kuzma over PJ or DJJ given the defense and hustle they have. If Kuzma took their minutes this Dallas team would be worse for it.

Kuzma can play good D when he wants to. When he is guarding a star he is typically more motivated and gives them problems. At other times he is indifferent which isn't surprising on a tanking team.

NBAGOAT
05-24-2024, 02:38 PM
Kuz could be more versatile on defense with his size though. Could have used him as a small ball 5 in the right match-ups. Offensively I don't think he'd have been a great fit as the 3rd guy, maybe I'm wrong but what he showed in LA was that he struggled without having the ball in his hands consistently, and on a team with Luka & Kyrie he'd have the ball maybe even less than he did with Bron & AD on the court.

pj's better as a small ball 5 however though maybe kuzma woukd be better on smaller wings. yea luka/kyrie really dont need a 3rd guy with how productive they are. Oh well I wasnt the only one doubting pj one scout told tim mcmahon pj was a 18mpg guy in the playoffs not close to a starter