PDA

View Full Version : Is the newest NBA2K game worth playing?

90sgoat
02-14-2024, 09:30 AM
I got to say I think these NBA2K games are most often fun, at least until you figure out how to beat the AI on the hardest difficulty.

The ability to play the classic teams is the best part imo.

I was very dissapointed with NBA2K online multiplayer tho, no fun at all, just kids cheesing and meta'ing to win. Literally didn't seem as basketball, just the most toxic "gaming".

warriorfan
02-14-2024, 09:42 AM
so me and the boys would play them back in the day in person. i messed around online a little with a few of them 10 plus years ago, none of that my player shit, that is hella gay

but i got the new one recently because i haven’t gotten one since the kyrie one and i was playing single player games with random teams and it was cool

I don’t **** with my player mode but they had this my team thing which i never seen. i checked it out a little and it seemed cool but then i saw it was all about money. it is a legit scam game

I was still playing and doing pretty decent, i bought MJ for 20 bucks :lol and was giving some kids the work. then i got home on christmas night and was gonna play a little and I saw paul george for deal of the day. paul george is a perfect 2k player so i copped it immediately then started playing. after a game or two i thought it was a crazy good deal then realized I could sell it back for higher then the price I paid for it….

long story short i sat there for an hour and exploited over 10 thousand worth of the in game currency and bought everything in the game :lol

all the lame cuck dudes who spent all their money got so mad, 2k did nothing.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/style/2023/12/28/nba-2k-myteam-kobe-bryant-free/

but all in all it’s decent. just play single player or with your boys when hanging out

90sgoat
02-14-2024, 09:52 AM
Yeah that MyTeam is the best, until you realize that kids just buy these cards and they're all 99 and you can't do anything about it.

Phoenix
02-14-2024, 09:52 AM
I've been off 2k for years, just seemed like the focus shifted to in-game monetization and the gameplay never really evolved much( and without another sim style game pushing it, I guess it doesn't have to from the developer standpoint). I wish a new NBA street or Jam would come out, those arcade games have the most replay value/lasting power. They tried with NBA Playgrounds but that was a shallow imitator of that style.

SaltyMeatballs
02-14-2024, 10:14 AM
If you wanna play mostly online then you have to be willing to drop another $50-100. Too many try-hards on there who treat 2k like a full-time job and use their momma's credit card to purchase insane amounts of VC.

I used to buy 2k every 2 years or so and I'd grind out MyCareer mode every time for several months before getting bored and switching to a new game. I bought 2k23 last year and after grinding on MyCareer mode for a few months, I learned that you can't even ****ing play ANY mode, even offline, when the severs shut down. On average, 2k shuts their servers down 2-3 years after the release. So all those hours, days, weeks, months people spend on leveling up their 2k player mean absolutely nothing.

And it's the same damn game every year. Same grind every year for the morons who buy it.

2k is shit. Don't buy it OP.

tpols
02-14-2024, 11:56 AM
I used to play 2k16 online and it was dope. You had to play with only real teams that were ranked 1, 2, or 3 stars and you got bonus rank ups for winning with lower seed star teams. What do they do now? Allow custom teams where everybody is a 99? That would be super lame.

90sgoat
02-14-2024, 12:35 PM
Yeah the online crap is crap.

The single player mode is pretty fun though, trying to win a ring with Luka and making trades and stuff like that, but like I said, once you figure it out, you kind of win every game.

tpols
02-14-2024, 01:51 PM
Yeah the online crap is crap.

The single player mode is pretty fun though, trying to win a ring with Luka and making trades and stuff like that, but like I said, once you figure it out, you kind of win every game.

Wait... so online really is just custom 99 star teams by everybody or do you have to choose a regular team? There has to be an online option to play ranked exhibition matches with only regular teams right?

SATAN
02-14-2024, 07:19 PM
2K don't deserve anyone's money. Making grindy games that are unplayable after 2-3 years is a ****ing travesty. More or less an absolute scam. Can't believe people still buy while complaining about it year after year.

BarberSchool
02-14-2024, 09:07 PM
PAY TO WIN

AVOID

They even bought and royally fu@ked up the more fun game …. The evolution of NBA JAM …. NBA PLAYGROUNDS.

They turned it into NBA 2k Playgrounds and made it a gross in-game transaction nightmare, where even some hermit with no life playing it for hours a day, couldn’t possibly keep up with some spoiled brat buying all the packs.

It’s grotesque what big investors have done to modern gaming.

kawhileonard2
02-14-2024, 10:38 PM
In comparison to what other game?

90sgoat
02-15-2024, 06:47 AM
Wait... so online really is just custom 99 star teams by everybody or do you have to choose a regular team? There has to be an online option to play ranked exhibition matches with only regular teams right?

I'm not sure, but the 99 for some random scrub player ruined online for me.

What's the point in collecting a team if everyone is 99?

Im Still Ballin
02-15-2024, 09:07 AM
2K11 was the peak.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lz40EjivU8I&ab_channel=rebornatm23

I miss that era of basketball.

Axe
02-15-2024, 11:13 AM
Used to play it a lot on the psp but not so much on the consoles due to difficulty with the controls, esp. with two analogs.

2K11 was the peak.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lz40EjivU8I&ab_channel=rebornatm23

I miss that era of basketball.
Goat soundtracks for sure. On par with the NBA live 09 songs.

Wally450
02-15-2024, 11:38 AM
The game isn't what is used to be.

They nerfed post play. I used to dominate with guys like Shaq, Hakeem and Dirk out of the post.

Kblaze8855
02-15-2024, 11:42 AM
It Ib fun about 10 years ago when we had our own team. They called it my crew at the time. Me, Gobb, and Carbine are the only names you’d recognize who were on those teams but we had a good group. I’d get back to it if we had a good number of people. I used to play with my friends in person when I moved back to my old neighborhood and we will be six or more deep in my game room. I’ve not really been on video games since those days.

Phoenix
02-15-2024, 11:48 AM
The problem with modern sports games is it's been consolidated down to like 1 major publisher making the annual entry. EA with Madden, 2K with NBA2k. 20 years ago we had 2k, Live, Jam, Street, ESPN 2night, Microsoft and Sony had their own series and even Nintendo dabbled into it with NBA Courtside. Go a little further back and you had Konami making in the Zone and shit like that.

90sgoat
02-15-2024, 12:13 PM
I have NBA2K22 and while all of what's said is true, to me it's still impressive how good and realistic it feels to play. It's just a shame there isn't some kind of game you can play that isn't about paying for cards.

Kblaze8855
02-15-2024, 12:25 PM
What bugged me about my team was how everyone was so highly rated you couldn’t really use lineups to just have fun. I wanna have Mark Jackson with Jason Williams as backup but they’re not rated high enough to compete with everyone having bullshit like a 95 Ben Simmons who can shoot threes.

90sgoat
02-15-2024, 01:58 PM
What bugged me about my team was how everyone was so highly rated you couldn’t really use lineups to just have fun. I wanna have Mark Jackson with Jason Williams as backup but they’re not rated high enough to compete with everyone having bullshit like a 95 Ben Simmons who can shoot threes.

Yeah that was completely broken.

I just want to do what it was meant to do, put together players from different eras and have fun with that.

Then you see 99 Taco Fall and it doesn't matter.

bison
02-15-2024, 03:20 PM
i don thave the attention span for nba 2k. they need to release a new NBA Jam already

90sgoat
02-19-2024, 05:16 PM
Just as we talked the game goes on sale for like $25 so I bought it.

Bet I will have fun with it, if nothing else then my goal of winning a ring with a pure euro team. Yes, I will do that and I don't care that its lunatic behaviour.

90sgoat
02-19-2024, 05:19 PM
Man, Kobe is really dead huh:cry:

SATAN
02-19-2024, 05:59 PM
Cringe

warriorfan
02-19-2024, 07:43 PM
Just as we talked the game goes on sale for like $25 so I bought it.

Bet I will have fun with it, if nothing else then my goal of winning a ring with a pure euro team. Yes, I will do that and I don't care that its lunatic behaviour.

For 25 bucks it’s worth it to play a bit of single player. I haven’t played online in a few weeks even after I exploited to get every player in the game. I usually just will maybe play a game of two teams who are facing each other that night and have a chill game.

90sgoat
02-20-2024, 03:19 PM
I started a MyLeague with Celtics.

Traded Tatum to Sacramento for Sabonis.

Traded Brown to Warriors for expiring Klay and 1st round picks.

Traded Jrue Holliday to OKC for expiring Hayward and 1 round picks

I could not get Chet, Sengun, Reaves or Luka, so I intend to suck the first season, while I learn how to play again, then use my 2-3 first round picks and see if I can't lure at least Chet away with a good package the coming offseason. I'll have picks and tons of cap space.

Playing on Hall of Fame, which is the most difficult, so I'll lose some games for sure until I learn the ropes.

Zingis is playing great though. Sabonis and Zingis are punishing these small ball lineups.

warriorfan
02-20-2024, 06:03 PM
I started a MyLeague with Celtics.

Traded Tatum to Sacramento for Sabonis.

Traded Brown to Warriors for expiring Klay and 1st round picks.

Traded Jrue Holliday to OKC for expiring Hayward and 1 round picks

I could not get Chet, Sengun, Reaves or Luka, so I intend to suck the first season, while I learn how to play again, then use my 2-3 first round picks and see if I can't lure at least Chet away with a good package the coming offseason. I'll have picks and tons of cap space.

Playing on Hall of Fame, which is the most difficult, so I'll lose some games for sure until I learn the ropes.

Zingis is playing great though. Sabonis and Zingis are punishing these small ball lineups.

Hall of fame gets pretty wild. I would maybe start on All-Star or Superstar. A tip I found out for this version is turn off the shot meter, you get a larger window for a make if the meter is turned off. So get comfortable with the releases of a few guys on your team and leave the meter off. You will make a lot more shots. Keep the layup meter on though. There’s so many different layup animations that there is no consistent release. It might be possible to play with no lay up meter but I would assume it would take insane amounts of practice and isn’t worth it.

90sgoat
02-20-2024, 06:07 PM
Hall of fame gets pretty wild. I would maybe start on All-Star or Superstar. A tip I found out for this version is turn off the shot meter, you get a larger window for a make if the meter is turned off. So get comfortable with the releases of a few guys on your team and leave the meter off. You will make a lot more shots. Keep the layup meter on though. There’s so many different layup animations that there is no consistent release. It might be possible to play with no lay up meter but I would assume it would take insane amounts of practice and isn’t worth it.

I can't play on lower difficulty levels, no fun for me, has to be the most difficult.

I'm figuring it out, lost the first 5 games, but with the trades I made the team is pretty bad. Dominating these small ball lineups which is fun though. Zingis averaging like 27ppg.

Like with the last game I really struggle to get 3 pointers off and make them, just doesn't seem as if players get open enough.

I also find it difficult to call plays? Like you have to press several buttons just to get to positional play calling and they don't have actual names of sets? Did they dumb down this too?

SATAN
02-20-2024, 06:39 PM
I wonder if they will put the IST in 2k25