PDA

View Full Version : Who thinks MIN and OKC are for real?

3ba11
02-14-2024, 06:13 PM
thread title

FultzNationRISE
02-14-2024, 06:19 PM
I would still be ‘surprised’ it either makes the Finals, but I wouldnt be ‘completely shocked’ given the way theyve performed this year.

Xiao Yao You
02-14-2024, 06:20 PM
OKC is still too young I imagine. Minnesota had some depth issues. The Morris guys should help

3ba11
02-14-2024, 06:50 PM
I would still be ‘surprised’ it either makes the Finals, but I wouldnt be ‘completely shocked’ given the way theyve performed this year.

When has a really young team beaten a dynasty-level team or champion in-their-prime like the Nuggets to make a Finals?

I can't remember when that's happened - 2nd-year Bird beat Dr. J but the Sixers were perennial losers, not champs in their prime or dynasties

So I don't see OKC or MIN making it.. The only other way they could make it is if the current West was a complete one-off in history with a 53-win 1 seed in a worst-ever conference that allows many 1-star teams to make the Finals (Iverson, Dwight, Lebron, Kidd twice).. But obviously, the current West isn't that.. It contains a juggernaut champion in their prime - and this champion won via developed-chemistry, not talent - so a young team is even less likely to knock them off

Xiao Yao You
02-14-2024, 07:06 PM
Wouldn't exactly call Minnesota young. Ant, McDaniels and Reid are the only rotation players under 25. Soon to have 4 guys over 30. Great mix of young and old. OKC just added a couple vets but not much playoff experience otherwise

SouBeachTalents
02-14-2024, 07:11 PM
So I don't see OKC or MIN making it.. The only other way they could make it is if the current West was a complete one-off in history with a 53-win 1 seed in a worst-ever conference that allows many 1-star teams to make the Finals (Iverson, Dwight, Lebron, Kidd twice).. But obviously, the current West isn't that.. It contains a juggernaut champion in their prime - and this champion won via developed-chemistry, not talent - so a young team is even less likely to knock them off
Aaaaaaand here's why he really made the thread :lol

90sgoat
02-14-2024, 07:16 PM
OKC is fools gold, though they're ahead of the curve.

Toody in Minny with Ant can put up a fight, but they'll lose to Clips, Nugs and Mavs at the very least.

3ba11
02-14-2024, 07:17 PM
Aaaaaaand here's why he really made the thread :lol

Well a young team like OKC or MIN aren't beating a prime champion like the Nuggets because it's never happened before.

In other words, this ain't the 00's East (the only conference in history that allowed multiple 1-star teams to win the conference... and probably the lowest wins ever for a 1 seed)

SouBeachTalents
02-14-2024, 07:19 PM
Well a young team like OKC or MIN aren't beating a prime champion like the Nuggets because it's never happened before.

In other words, this ain't the 00's East (the only conference in history that allowed multiple 1-star teams to win the conference... and probably the lowest wins ever for a 1 seed)
LeBron is better than Kobe.

ImKobe
02-14-2024, 07:21 PM
Neither have proven anything in the Playoffs for me to consider them as serious contenders. I would not be surprised if both lost in the 1st round tbh if Lakers & Warriors end up 7th & 8th.

BarberSchool
02-14-2024, 07:26 PM
Shai is ready now, but the rest of his squad isn’t yet. Especially not Chet if the opposing big weighs over 240. Chet has unicorn stuff, but also gets brutally pushed around like a rag doll, by 234lb Daniel Gafford.

Towns wasted a lot of his early prime years, being super lazy, and that hasn’t changed THAT MUCH. But he is finally being serious in a similar way to Embiid finally being super serious the last 2 seasons. Ant is closer to ready than any of the young dudes on OKC, but it’s not enough.

So the answer to your question is NOBODY whose opinion holds weight, believe either team as currently constructed has a true chance to win it all, barring opponent injury in multiple rounds.

3ba11
02-14-2024, 07:32 PM
LeBron is better than Kobe.

Kobe was good enough to win many titles with 1 team and fans punish him for it by saying "can't win without Pau/Shaq"

Otoh, Lebron's inability to win many titles with 1 team gets rewarded by team-hopping and having naive fans say he can win with more than 1 team

The reality is that Kobe's skillset was good enough to win with chemistry, so he didn't need more help/talent, while Lebron's skillset cannot build great chemistry, so he needs more help or talent/team-hopping and can't win many titles with 1 team (but gets rewarded for it by naive fans)

SouBeachTalents
02-14-2024, 07:34 PM
Kobe was good enough to win many titles with 1 team and fans punish him for it by saying "can't win without Pau/Shaq"

Otoh, Lebron's inability to win many titles with 1 team gets rewarded by team-hopping and having fans say he can win with more than 1 team

The reality is that Kobe's skillset was good enough to win with chemistry, so he didn't need more help/talent, while Lebron's skillset cannot build great chemistry, so he needs more help or talent/team-hopping and can't win many titles with 1 team (but gets rewarded for it)
:oldlol:

He literally cannot avoid taking the bait, no matter how obvious it is, clear sign of autism.

3ba11
02-14-2024, 07:39 PM
Shai is ready now, but the rest of his squad isn’t yet. Especially not Chet if the opposing big weighs over 240. Chet has unicorn stuff, but also gets brutally pushed around like a rag doll, by 234lb Daniel Gafford.

Towns wasted a lot of his early prime years, being super lazy, and that hasn’t changed THAT MUCH. But he is finally being serious in a similar way to Embiid finally being super serious the last 2 seasons. Ant is closer to ready than any of the young dudes on OKC, but it’s not enough.

So the answer to your question is NOBODY whose opinion holds weight, believe either team as currently constructed has a true chance to win it all, barring opponent injury in multiple rounds.

yeah minny is closer

And their ceiling should be higher with an MJ-like shooting guard (off-ball expert jumpshooter) that allows the ball to move, while OKC is driven by a ball-dominator and therefore lower ceiling/Finals records historically

Axe
02-14-2024, 07:52 PM
If minny doesn't make it past the second round somehow, we already know who's to blame.

Xiao Yao You
02-14-2024, 07:55 PM
If minny doesn't make it past the second round somehow, we already know who's to blame.

Towns most likely as he was last year

Full Court
02-14-2024, 08:09 PM
They're both for real. They're legit title threats, but they very well may not make it out of the West. The Clippers, Nuggets, or Lakers could all take the conference too. It's a very tight division.

I suppose you could throw the Suns into the mixed, but I'd be shocked if they were the ones to come out on top.

ShawkFactory
02-14-2024, 08:25 PM
Both a very good teams that can take advantage of teams in the regular but at the moment both are flawed.

Minnesota’s 4th quarter and crunch time offense is going to be a real problem in a tight series I think.

OKC has trouble keeping people out of the paint and can’t do much when that does happen. Jokic will destroy them.

Overall if I had to pick one it would be OKC because of Shai and I think if their offense is clicking they can beat anyone. But if they’re off they could lose to anyone too.

NBAGOAT
02-15-2024, 09:41 AM
okc got me worried unless hayward is healthy. Core top 3 is incredible but Giddey is a major liability and dort isnt reliable enough for me either even though he's shooting 39% from 3. i just dont like teams in the playoffs that have a hole in their finishing lineup. Think they're one year away.

Minnesota has their flaws but I believe in them somewhat. they matchup well with denver defensively and just destroyed the clippers. The clippers tried small ball it didnt work. Then again they could lose in the 1st round but I wouldnt be shocked if they made the finals. Ik there's a huge coast factor but denvers been surprisingly not dominant this year and will have a really tough playoff road with possibly 2 road playoff series. Only 10th on offense and bench is one of the worst among contenders and no bruce brown in the playoffs. we can call them a potential dynasty now but one loss in the playoffs and that's not our impression of them anymore. Imagine a road where it's like phx in the 1st round, clippers in the 2nd without homecourt pretty brutal. Still my favorites out west along with clippers but i dont think it'll be a dominant run like it was last year.

Xiao Yao You
02-15-2024, 11:15 AM
okc got me worried unless hayward is healthy. Core top 3 is incredible but Giddey is a major liability and dort isnt reliable enough for me either even though he's shooting 39% from 3. i just dont like teams in the playoffs that have a hole in their finishing lineup. Think they're one year away.

Minnesota has their flaws but I believe in them somewhat. they matchup well with denver defensively and just destroyed the clippers. The clippers tried small ball it didnt work. Then again they could lose in the 1st round but I wouldnt be shocked if they made the finals. Ik there's a huge coast factor but denvers been surprisingly not dominant this year and will have a really tough playoff road with possibly 2 road playoff series. Only 10th on offense and bench is one of the worst among contenders and no bruce brown in the playoffs. we can call them a potential dynasty now but one loss in the playoffs and that's not our impression of them anymore. Imagine a road where it's like phx in the 1st round, clippers in the 2nd without homecourt pretty brutal. Still my favorites out west along with clippers but i dont think it'll be a dominant run like it was last year.

Going to have to be Minnesota with a mismatches. No one can match up to their front court. Tough to repeat

jayfan
02-15-2024, 02:52 PM
I expected this from OKC. Not so much from Minny.

Chris Finch has done as good a coaching job as I've seen in this league in quite a while.

Xiao Yao You
02-15-2024, 03:31 PM
I expected this from OKC. Not so much from Minny.

Chris Finch has done as good a coaching job as I've seen in this league in quite a while.

Elston Turner in charge of the defense

Manny98
02-15-2024, 03:55 PM
OKC lack of size and physicality and Minnesota lack of offensive firepower will be there downfall in the playoffs.

Proctor
02-15-2024, 05:28 PM
Wolves aren't doing shit. OKC can make some minor noise

imdaman99
02-16-2024, 08:42 PM
Everyone always says an upstart team is too young. When do y'all see them making the jump? The Nuggets are still the scariest team in the West, otherwise any other team can be beat. Even the Nuggets could have a down playoff so you just never know. Are we really that confident in the Clips or Lakers? :lol

kawhileonard2
02-16-2024, 09:29 PM
thread title

Neither

Jasper
02-17-2024, 11:15 AM
when was the last time minny played a playoff game??

Xiao Yao You
02-17-2024, 11:21 AM
when was the last time minny played a playoff game??

other than last year you mean?

NBAGOAT
02-17-2024, 02:40 PM
Everyone always says an upstart team is too young. When do y'all see them making the jump? The Nuggets are still the scariest team in the West, otherwise any other team can be beat. Even the Nuggets could have a down playoff so you just never know. Are we really that confident in the Clips or Lakers? :lol

Usually as early as their 2nd year in the playoffs as contender. I do trust the clippers they have the talent and that talent is playing well together