PDA

View Full Version : Wizards got a guy

tontoz
02-15-2024, 02:02 PM
Deni Avdija was the guy the Wizards drafted instead of Haliburton, much to the chagrin of Wizards fans. In his 2nd and 3rd seasons he proved to be a very good and versatile defender, able to defend multiple positions. In recent games he's started the game guarding Luka, Maxey and.... Wemby. :oldlol:

But he was awful on offense. He shot poorly from 3s, missed routine layups and seemed scared to drive in the half court. He also seemed allergic to dunking the ball. After watching 3 seasons of this i was about ready to write him off as another blown pick by the Wizards.

Then this season the light started to come on. He started attacking the basket aggressively and making 3s. Fans were getting hopeful. Just recently he just took it to another level, scoring over 20 against Boston/Philly/Dallas in consecutive games shooting well over 60% in all of them. That might not sound like much but if you watched him last year it was a quantum leap.

Last night against the Pels Kuzma was out and he went off, dropping 43/15. :bowdown: His previous career high was 25.

https://youtu.be/dhvz-wBWJZg?si=BxJv_bnaj-YBavms

Carbine
02-15-2024, 02:07 PM
We are supposed to celebrate a 4th best player type on a title contender?

RRR3
02-15-2024, 02:11 PM
God damn let Wizards fans have something dude.

tontoz
02-15-2024, 02:30 PM

Dude, we haven't had a 50 win season since 1979. There hasn't been much to celebrate. We gotta take what we can get.

bison
02-15-2024, 02:38 PM
damn. dropped a career high on the same night rui hachimura also dropped a career high. tommy sheppard is a damn genius

FultzNationRISE
02-15-2024, 02:39 PM
The thing is there's a rising tide around the league in general. A lot of completely random dudes nobody's heard of erupting for 40 point games here and there. So while it's nice for Wiz fans to have one do it, keep in mind it doesnt necessarily change your fortunes as a team, because a lot of teams have these guys now.

tontoz
02-15-2024, 02:41 PM
The thing is there's a rising tide around the league in general. A lot of completely random dudes nobody's heard of erupting for 40 point games here and there. So while it's nice for Wiz fans to have one do it, keep in mind it doesnt necessarily change your fortunes as a team, because a lot of teams have these guys now.

The difference is that his strength is still defense. He is an All-NBA caliber defender, he just doesn't get the recognition because we suck.

Kblaze8855
02-15-2024, 02:56 PM

I don’t think he was asking for celebration. Just saying the kid is making a turn and is a good player.

tontoz
02-15-2024, 03:21 PM
I don’t think he was asking for celebration. Just saying the kid is making a turn and is a good player.

To be fair wizards fans have been celebrating :oldlol: Last season he averaged 9.2 ppg which was his career high. He was legit awful on offense.

Imagine if Gobert suddenly started beating guys off the dribble 1 on 1. It's kinda like that.

tpols
02-15-2024, 03:25 PM
To be fair wizards fans have been celebrating :oldlol: Last season he averaged 9.2 ppg which was his career high. He was legit awful on offense.

Imagine if Gobert suddenly started beating guys off the dribble 1 on 1. It's kinda like that.

I understand youre excited but lets... not get out of hand here.

Mods?

Xiao Yao You
02-15-2024, 03:29 PM

when the Wizards start winning games like the awful Jazz did when Gobert emerged it might be something like that

FultzNationRISE
02-15-2024, 03:30 PM
when the Wizards start winning games like the awful Jazz did when Gobert emerged it might be something like that

Did they win many playoff series when he emerged?

Kblaze8855
02-15-2024, 03:31 PM
If Rudy so much as dribbled twice and hit a pull-up I’d have to pre ban Xiao for a month for his own good.

Kblaze8855
02-15-2024, 03:32 PM

He can only do it by himself till the games count. Right up to that moment he’s solely responsible for victory. It’s a team game from there though.

Kblaze8855
02-15-2024, 03:34 PM
And I just got around to watching the video. That kid looks good. Hes A little mechanical, but guys tend to look that way when they build their game off hard-work i the gym. You can tell he isn’t a natural. He’s working for it. Gotta respect it.

tontoz
02-15-2024, 03:36 PM

The Jazz won 43 games in the season before they drafted Rudy.

RRR3
02-15-2024, 03:37 PM
He can only do it by himself till the games count. Right up to that moment he’s solely responsible for victory. It’s a team game from there though.
:yaohappy:

tontoz
02-15-2024, 03:38 PM
And I just got around to watching the video. That kid looks good. Hes A little mechanical, but guys tend to look that way when they build their game off hard-work i the gym. You can tell he isn’t a natural. He’s working for it. Gotta respect it.

He definitely isn't natural, but is strangely athletic for a guy with no muscle definition. He is just bullying guys routinely now.

Xiao Yao You
02-15-2024, 03:47 PM

no because he didn't start until after the trade deadline and they were in to big of a hole despite being the 6th best team after it. The next year they went into the season with rookie Neto starting and bum Trey Burke backiing him up instead of getting the vet they needed in other words still trying to tank despite the great finish the year before. Gobert missing a month sealed their fate. The next year the tank was off because Hayward was going to be a free agent. Hasn't missed the playoffs since despite the crappy teams around him

Xiao Yao You
02-15-2024, 03:47 PM

it's always a team game. Can only go as far as the talent on the floor.

Xiao Yao You
02-15-2024, 03:49 PM

Yep than they let their best player go so Kanter and Favors could become the stars they were never going to be, It's called tanking. You should be pretty familiar with the concept

tontoz
02-15-2024, 03:55 PM
Yep than they let their best player go so Kanter and Favors could become the stars they were never going to be, It's called tanking. You should be pretty familiar with the concept

This is actually the first year of intentional tanking from the Wizards that i can remember. They are the experts at unintentional tanking though.

warriorfan
02-15-2024, 04:20 PM

Tbh I would rather see more threads about up and coming players vs players who we have seen play 10 plus years in the league already. It’s like we already know what it is at that point.

NBAGOAT
02-15-2024, 04:28 PM
That contract looking really good. Technically he broke out at the right time right after getting his contract. Once poole gets benched or traded wizards are built nicely for a drafted star to come in or they can go other route and trade everyone for assets

tontoz
02-15-2024, 04:32 PM
That contract looking really good. Technically he broke out at the right time right after getting his contract. Once poole gets benched or traded wizards are built nicely for a drafted star to come in or they can go other route and trade everyone for assets

Yeah we lucked out with the contract timing.

Now about that Poole contract.....:facepalm

Kblaze8855
02-15-2024, 04:38 PM
Tbh I would rather see more threads about up and coming players vs players who we have seen play 10 plus years in the league already. It’s like we already know what it is at that point.

agreed. The big name guys are the newsmakers so you kind of have to acknowledge them and what they’re up to but how much is left to say?

I barely even know who this guy is. One night while waiting for a game. I actually care about. I may actually turn on the wizards game to see what he’s doing. Nothing anybody can say here about most stars is going to get me to watch anything I wouldn’t otherwise have watched.

tontoz
02-15-2024, 05:05 PM
I think Kuzma has been helping Deni. In the Mavs game there was a play where Deni had the ball up top with Luka on him. He was about to swing the ball to Kuzma and Kuzma empatically waved him off, telling him to go at Luka.

I am frankly tired of watching Kuzma jacking up contested jumpers but apparently he is pretty popular in the locker room. Seems like Deni is quick to pass to him.

Axe
02-15-2024, 05:10 PM
Good for you, uncle.

Axe
02-15-2024, 05:14 PM
He was actually drafted by denver bt. Then immediately got traded to utah. But yes, the latter had a winning record even before they got him.

Xiao Yao You
02-15-2024, 07:00 PM
He was actually drafted by denver bt. Then immediately got traded to utah. But yes, the latter had a winning record even before they got him.

He was drafted by Denver for the Jazz. The winning record was soon gone when Millsap waslet go and Favors and Kanter were playing instead. A year plus of tanking and then Gobert emerged and the rest is history

beasted
02-15-2024, 10:11 PM
He was drafted by Denver for the Jazz. The winning record was soon gone when Millsap waslet go and Favors and Kanter were playing instead. A year plus of tanking and then Gobert emerged and the rest is history

What history? Jazz haven't been to a WCF in 17 years. Forgettable treadmill.

Xiao Yao You
02-15-2024, 10:16 PM

forgettable if it's all about conference finals I guess. Overachieveng with bad teams is something to remember

tontoz
02-15-2024, 10:25 PM
Let's get the thread back on track. Here is Deni vs the Mavs in his previous game.

https://youtu.be/6AuGsAK0gzM?si=t_Ym2UhrDUf6wGLx

Axe
02-15-2024, 10:27 PM
:roll:

The last time the jazz made the wcf, boozer was still playing with them bt.

Xiao Yao You
02-15-2024, 10:29 PM
:roll:

The last time the jazz made the wcf, boozer was still playing with them bt.

yeah no chance at an 8th seed to get to the conference finals since. Would have had to pull an upset to get there. Can only go as far as the talent will take you

tontoz
02-15-2024, 10:34 PM
I should have known better than to bring up Rudy's name, even as a joke. :facepalm

Xiao Yao You
02-15-2024, 10:36 PM
I should have known better than to bring up Rudy's name, even as a joke. :facepalm

ISH can't quit him

beasted
02-15-2024, 11:36 PM
forgettable if it's all about conference finals I guess. Overachieveng with bad teams is something to remember

Do you also find Honda Accords remarkable? Do you get nostalgic about Arm & Hammer Baking Soda?

Making a big deal over "pretty good" things, bro. Jazz teams over the last 25+ years are forgettable. No one except a homer will remember those rosters. No diss intended.

Xiao Yao You
02-15-2024, 11:54 PM
Do you also find Honda Accords remarkable? Do you get nostalgic about Arm & Hammer Baking Soda?

Making a big deal over "pretty good" things, bro. Jazz teams over the last 25+ years are forgettable. No one except a homer will remember those rosters. No diss intended.

3rd best player in franchise history. Difference between the lottery and playoff runs.

beasted
02-16-2024, 12:07 AM
3rd best player in franchise history. Difference between the lottery and playoff runs.

If you say so. Nobody will be able to recall.

beasted
02-16-2024, 12:08 AM
Let's get the thread back on track. Here is Deni vs the Mavs in his previous game.

https://youtu.be/6AuGsAK0gzM?si=t_Ym2UhrDUf6wGLx

Solid player, but seems unable to create much of his own. Seems like a good complimentary player. Anunoby?

Xiao Yao You
02-16-2024, 12:13 AM

ISH won't forget

beasted
02-16-2024, 12:16 AM
ISH won't forget

Only because you keep reminding everyone.

Axe
02-16-2024, 12:16 AM
Except the only thing that will be remembered the most about him is that he brought covid to the league four years ago.

Xiao Yao You
02-16-2024, 12:30 AM
Only because you keep reminding everyone.

I'm rarely the one to bring him up though. ISH can not quit him!

Xiao Yao You
02-16-2024, 12:31 AM
Except the only thing that will be remembered the most about him is that he brought covid to the league four years ago.

sure. Multi time all NBA and the only 4 time DPOTY will be remembered for one thing :roll:

Full Court
02-16-2024, 12:43 AM
If Rudy so much as dribbled twice and hit a pull-up I’d have to pre ban Xiao for a month for his own good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQfNJRnriP8

tontoz
02-16-2024, 03:46 PM
Deni's defense vs All Stars. He even gives Giannis trouble at times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ad3d5y4RUR8&t=69s

Axe
02-16-2024, 03:48 PM
sure. Multi time all NBA and the only 4 time DPOTY will be remembered for one thing :roll:
Blew a 3-1 lead in the playoffs also! :lebronamazed:

Xiao Yao You
02-16-2024, 04:02 PM
Blew a 3-1 lead in the playoffs also! :lebronamazed:

you're remembering more shit already! You might have forgot he had teammates though? Or that the favored team beat them or that it was in the bubble?

Axe
02-16-2024, 04:04 PM
No excuses. :no:

90sgoat
02-16-2024, 05:32 PM
Another team decides to build around a euro.

imdaman99
02-16-2024, 08:38 PM
He's solid. But I think this is his ceiling. He's a good piece for success but he's not gonna be the 1st or 2nd option when that happens.

tontoz
02-16-2024, 08:42 PM
He's solid. But I think this is his ceiling. He's a good piece for success but he's not gonna be the 1st or 2nd option when that happens.

He doesn't need to be. If you watch that defensive vid I posted earlier you can see why.

We were worried last season that his offense would continue to be so bad that it would make him pretty useless in spite of his strong d. Now he is shooting 40% from 3, driving and get to the line. He is a good passer too.