PDA

View Full Version : What's the most heartbreaking sporting event you've ever experinced?

Doomsday Dallas
02-15-2024, 11:28 PM
was just having this conversation with with a lifelong Dallas friend who's a major sports fan .... He went with the 2011 Texas Rangers, losing game 6 in the World Series to St. Louis.

I went with #1 seed Dallas Cowboys losing the divisional to the NYG in 2007. That's the game Terrell Owens cried.

https://media.tenor.com/TQJVyh8ucN4AAAAM/terrell-owens-dallas-cowboys.gif

Til this day... I can still vividly remember how mad I was.

Mavericks had just choked a 2-0 lead to Miami in the Finals the year before... and then the Cowboys went and did what they did and choked away 13-3 record and lost in the divisional.

and to make matters worse Dirk won the MVP... goes 67-15... and loses to a #8 seed in the first round.

The only city that I can think of that has a horror story worse than mine would be people living in Atlanta.

Maybe Phoenix natives have some pretty bad stories.

would be impossible for me to feel sorry for anybody living in Boston. Those MFers have been spoiled with championships the last 20 years.

Xiao Yao You
02-15-2024, 11:31 PM
https://youtu.be/7iWweaxB61k?t=504

Doomsday Dallas
02-15-2024, 11:54 PM
https://youtu.be/7iWweaxB61k?t=504

Dallas lost to the Lakers in the 87/88 season game 7 of the WCF... I was too young at the time to remember there ever being any hype about it.

Anyways, sorry that Dallas didn't take care of business that year... we got close.

What about Calvin Booth?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76gHqgWiZHg

Xiao Yao You
02-15-2024, 11:55 PM
Dallas would have beat the Jazz. Jazz matched up well with Lakers. Choked

SouBeachTalents
02-15-2024, 11:59 PM
And just think of all the other options you left on the table; Romo fumble, Dez catch, Rodgers throw, 44-6, losing 3 straight week 17 games with the division at stake.

fourkicks44
02-15-2024, 11:59 PM
A princess in a foreign country traveled in a game 7 and the refs refused to call it.

Xiao Yao You
02-16-2024, 12:01 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOue5GrL5pg

this one too

Mask the Embiid
02-16-2024, 12:41 AM
Kawhi Leonard

Doomsday Dallas
02-16-2024, 12:59 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOue5GrL5pg

this one too

Redskins were a dominant team in the 1980's.

Again... I was just a child, but I do remember the 80's Bears & Redskins being up there with the 80's 49ers.

Doomsday Dallas
02-16-2024, 01:18 AM
And just think of all the other options you left on the table; Romo fumble, Dez catch, Rodgers throw, 44-6, losing 3 straight week 17 games with the division at stake.

All 3 of those playoff losses to GB were tough. Romo's Seattle fumble pissed me off... but we knew the team wasn't a true contender that year. 44-6 did make it into the Silver Lining's Playbook movie... but for whatever reason I wasn't heartbroken after that loss... just disappointed.

I think the GB loss in 2016 was more difficult to watch than the Dez catch in 2014. Looking Back, I really wish we had given Romo one last opportunity instead of going with rookie Dak Prescott.

But... yea... out of all those f*ck ups.... nothing hurt more than losing to the NY Giants in 2007.... it was more devastating to me than the Cowboys losing to the 49ers in 1994/95 NFC championship.

If the Mavs had not won it all in 2011... the 2006 NBA Finals would currently rank as the #1 heartbreak

2011 Mavericks are the real "redeem team".

fsvr54
02-16-2024, 02:30 AM
Joe Ingles bumping into Kawhi's knee in 2021 and tearing his ACL.

Xiao Yao You
02-16-2024, 06:38 AM

Again... I was just a child, but I do remember the 80's Bears & Redskins being up there with the 80's 49ers.

Bears had one great season. Skins had a few not up with the Niners. Dolphins lost 2 :cry:

tontoz
02-16-2024, 09:27 AM
I dont really have any for the teams i rooted for. The memorable ones were from other teams, the Atlanta Super Bowl and the Earnest Byner fumble for the Browns back in the 80s.

Wizards haven't been good enough to be in a position to break anyone's heart.

Kblaze8855
02-16-2024, 09:34 AM
Injuries aside it has to be the Nick Anderson steal versus Jordan. And Horace Grant hustling down there to get the game-winning dunk off of it, didn’t help.

rmt
02-16-2024, 09:41 AM
A tie for me:

2019 Wimbledon Final - - Federer up 2 match points on his serve in the 5th set. On one of them a fault was called (replay later showed it was good) but Federer did not challenge the call, did a second serve (instead of getting another first serve) and lost the point. Djokovic eventually won 7-6 (5), 1-6, 7-6 (4), 4-6, 13-12 (3).

2013 NBA Finals - Ray's 3 point shot.

RogueBorg
02-16-2024, 10:49 AM

As a Bears fan, there's only been two sporting events that brought me to tears.

1. December 1985, losing the perfect season to the Miami Dolphins on MNF. I was in a hotel room in Houston, TX...I cried that night.

2. Losing to the Redskins in 1986 and 1987, especially 1987. I had just joined the Navy and recently transferred to the sub base in Charleston, SC the day before the game. Watched it by myself and teared up when they lost 21-17. It was also Walter Payton's last game.

RogueBorg
02-16-2024, 10:57 AM
Bears had one great season. Skins had a few not up with the Niners. Dolphins lost 2 :cry:

The Bears were really good from 1984-1988, winning one Super Bowl and going to 3 NFC Championship games.

RogueBorg
02-16-2024, 10:59 AM
Injuries aside it has to be the Nick Anderson steal versus Jordan. And Horace Grant hustling down there to get the game-winning dunk off of it, didn’t help.

This one hurt too. Seeing the Magic players lift Horace Grant on their shoulders at the United Center in '95 pissed me off LOL.

tpols
02-16-2024, 11:01 AM
I'm still pissed off about that bullshit holding call in the Super bowl to effectively end the game last year.

https://youtu.be/-iHVi08qSB0?si=eAvuuLLzaSgPREIm

And this shot by John Lucas Jr. to end St. Joe's perfect season led by delonte west and jameer Nelson.

https://youtu.be/i3sMpw7kKIE?si=KAHbcyJzV_QxEp5D

ImKobe
02-16-2024, 11:04 AM
KB tearing his achilles after putting in all that effort to keep the 2013 season alive. Basically ended his career and put the Lakers into tank mode for 4 years. Me (and most Laker fans) before that game believed they could make a run as they were a top 5 team post-ASB with KB and Dwight peaking at the right time in March/April.

Xiao Yao You
02-16-2024, 11:43 AM
As a Bears fan, there's only been two sporting events that brought me to tears.

1. December 1985, losing the perfect season to the Miami Dolphins on MNF. I was in a hotel room in Houston, TX...I cried that night.

2. Losing to the Redskins in 1986 and 1987, especially 1987. I had just joined the Navy and recently transferred to the sub base in Charleston, SC the day before the game. Watched it by myself and teared up when they lost 21-17. It was also Walter Payton's last game.

One of my favorite games ever. Phins weren't very good that year but Shula wasn't letting anyone else go undefeated. Scored on every possession in the first half! Had Marino rolling out of the pocket away from the vaunted 46 D instead of his usual straight drop back. Great game plan!

SouBeachTalents
02-16-2024, 11:46 AM
One of my favorite games ever. Phins weren't very good that year but Shula wasn't letting anyone else go undefeated. Scored on every possession in the first half! Had Marino rolling out of the pocket away from the vaunted 46 D instead of his usual straight drop back. Great game plan!
The Dolphins were 12-4 that year and had the 2nd best record in the league :biggums:

1987_Lakers
02-16-2024, 11:53 AM
Tuck rule game sucked, losing the AFC championship the year prior to that Ravens team also hurt. All the playoff Raiders playoff loses from 2000-2002 really. 2004 NBA Finals because the loss was so unexpected and you knew it was the end of the Shaq/Kobe era.

More recent? Derek Carr breaking his fibula vs the Colts on a Christmas Eve game I believe, we finally had our first winning season in like 14 years and just like that it was over.

ArbitraryWater
02-16-2024, 11:55 AM
A tie for me:

2019 Wimbledon Final - - Federer up 2 match points on his serve in the 5th set. On one of them a fault was called (replay later showed it was good) but Federer did not challenge the call, did a second serve (instead of getting another first serve) and lost the point. Djokovic eventually won 7-6 (5), 1-6, 7-6 (4), 4-6, 13-12 (3).

2013 NBA Finals - Ray's 3 point shot.

wtf are you talking about?

That never happened.

On the first MP he netted the serve, on the 2nd he got the first in.

On deuce he hit a wide serve which was close but looked wide and no one ever considered it being in and there was never a replay showing it in.

SouBeachTalents
02-16-2024, 11:56 AM
Tuck rule game sucked, losing the AFC championship the year prior to that Ravens team also hurt. 2004 NBA Finals because the loss was so unexpected.

More recent? Derek Carr breaking his fibula vs the Colts on a Christmas Eve game I believe, we finally had our first winning season in like 14 years and just like that it was over.
I will never understand how they allowed Shannon Sharpe to go 96 yards on 3rd & 18 :lol They get a stop there that literally changes the entire complexion of the game.

2000-02 was a painful stretch for the Raiders.

1987_Lakers
02-16-2024, 12:01 PM
2000-02 was a painful stretch for the Raiders.

It was actually a beautiful stretch considering how awful we have been ever since then.

Funny enough, one of my earliest and favorite Raiders moments came in 1999, week 17 vs the Chiefs. We knock them out of the playoffs in a crazy OT game on the road. My older brother was in a serious car accident 2 days before that game, so watching that game was for sure helpful therapy. Crazy enough Derrick Thomas (KC legend) would die in a car accident a month after this game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DqLrOKdOIs

Xiao Yao You
02-16-2024, 12:03 PM
The Dolphins were 12-4 that year and had the 2nd best record in the league :biggums:

Guess I remembered it wrong. Just the D and running game sucked as it did pretty much Marino's whole career outside his rookie year

90sgoat
02-16-2024, 12:12 PM
I think seeing Mike Tyson comeback was the first major reality check for young me.

Iron Mike hype was off the chart, his comeback fight was a huuuuge deal with people gathering in bars everywhere for the pay pr. view. Then it was a very dissapointing fight and eventually the whole earbite thing. Just a massive letdown in all ways. Fall of an american anti-hero. Very symbolic of the 90s. American exceptionalism on the decline.

Xiao Yao You
02-16-2024, 12:18 PM
I was in Canada watching with Canadians. Way to represent Iron Mike :facepalm

rawimpact
02-16-2024, 12:20 PM
When I was in highschool I use to watch wrestling when it was cool and in its prime IMO... I recall seeing Owen Hart fall maybe 50ft to his death. I think it was one of the most hartbreaking [sic] things i've witnessed... I was conflicted if it was real or somehow fake until the news broke out.

Now I know this really isn't a sporting event since it's all scripted, but man... it was memorable.

Kblaze8855
02-16-2024, 12:24 PM
This one hurt too. Seeing the Magic players lift Horace Grant on their shoulders at the United Center in '95 pissed me off LOL.

Horace was the entire difference. He had the series of his life after we spent the whole year missing him.

90sgoat
02-16-2024, 12:25 PM
Also seeing Indurain get left behind in Tour De France was a pivotal, old lion falling from grace, moment.

NBAGOAT
02-16-2024, 12:27 PM
lions this year was pretty bad and everyone saw it coming too in the 3rd quarter.

Hey Yo
02-16-2024, 12:39 PM
Attended game 4 of the 2016 Finals. After that, GS being up 3-1 and thought the Cavs had zero chance of winning that series.

Manny98
02-16-2024, 12:52 PM
2017 finals game 3
Nets Bucks game 7
2024 Superbowl

Kblaze8855
02-16-2024, 12:55 PM
I lost a bet to a guy at work that started when they were already down three to one. He had such faith in LeBron he took that bet already down 3-1 and I lost it. I don’t know why I ever bothered. I couldn’t in good conscience make the bet even. It was like 20 bucks or something if I won and 100 or more if he won. I don’t remember the exact number but he was willing to do it straight up. But I saw it like stealing his money. And they ****ing won.

I won the next couple years though.

RogueBorg
02-16-2024, 01:01 PM

True, but their defense was not very good. They barely beat 8-8 Cleveland in the first round and then got annihilated by New England in Miami the next week.

RogueBorg
02-16-2024, 01:03 PM
Horace was the entire difference. He had the series of his life after we spent the whole year missing him.

Yeah, Jackson said they're going to let him have the jump shot. And to his credit he hit them.

Xiao Yao You
02-16-2024, 01:31 PM
True, but their defense was not very good. They barely beat 8-8 Cleveland in the first round and then got annihilated by New England in Miami the next week.

as I said Marino never had a D or a running game outside his rookie year

SATAN
02-16-2024, 08:12 PM
was just having this conversation with with a lifelong Dallas friend who's a major sports fan .... He went with the 2011 Texas Rangers, losing game 6 in the World Series to St. Louis.

I went with #1 seed Dallas Cowboys losing the divisional to the NYG in 2007. That's the game Terrell Owens cried.

https://media.tenor.com/TQJVyh8ucN4AAAAM/terrell-owens-dallas-cowboys.gif

Til this day... I can still vividly remember how mad I was.

Mavericks had just choked a 2-0 lead to Miami in the Finals the year before... and then the Cowboys went and did what they did and choked away 13-3 record and lost in the divisional.

and to make matters worse Dirk won the MVP... goes 67-15... and loses to a #8 seed in the first round.

The only city that I can think of that has a horror story worse than mine would be people living in Atlanta.

Maybe Phoenix natives have some pretty bad stories.

would be impossible for me to feel sorry for anybody living in Boston. Those MFers have been spoiled with championships the last 20 years.

7:39

https://youtu.be/otbWNnrMmik?si=5cF19zP0Sp6v7Loc&t=456

SouBeachTalents
02-16-2024, 08:29 PM
The most painful loss I've witnessed a team have is the Seahawks against the Patriots. When you factor in everything, going for a repeat, the absolutely miraculous, batshit crazy win they had against the Packers, then another stroke of luck with Jermaine Kearse's insane catch on the final drive, everything looked like it was set up for the Seahawks to claim b2b titles.

I honestly can't think of another example where a fanbase went from certain championship victory to heartbreaking defeat SO abruptly, the span of a 2 second play. Seattle honestly should have been the dynasty of the 2010's, most of their core was in their mid 20's, they were a yard away from taking down all the elite QB's of that era; Brees, Rodgers, Peyton & Brady, over those 2 title runs. And the worst part is, it was completely self inflicted, and the franchise never truly recovered or came close to reaching those heights again.

Runner up goes to the Falcons, I don't even need to specify which game I'm referring to, which you know means it was a truly epic and historic defeat.

Bronze goes to the 18-1 Pats, I know they won 6 rings with Brady, but to be THAT close to an undefeated season/GOAT team status has to always remain at least somewhat painful.

BarberSchool
02-16-2024, 08:30 PM
Lakers vs Kings fix.

Truly disgusting.

imdaman99
02-16-2024, 08:32 PM
That 2007 game still gets me hyped. Typical Dallas, go 2-0 against them in the reg season and then give it up. The back to back intentional groundings by Romo still crack me :roll:

To be fair, the Giants were playoff juggernauts that year, they DID beat some dominant teams that playoffs of course the undefeated pats as well

Reggie43
02-16-2024, 09:36 PM
Pacers choking against the Knicks in 99. Lockout really messed things up especially for the older teams.

bison
02-17-2024, 02:22 AM
Tuck Rule game which is funny because I’m not really a football fan but I really wanted the raiders to win that game.

Lakers choking the 2004 finals or Kobe tearing his Achilles are the basketball ones

jlip
02-17-2024, 03:03 AM
Easily the 2008 NCAA Championship

Born and raised in Memphis I've been a fan of the University of Memphis since the early 80's. I wasn't born when the school went to the national title game in 1973 where Bill Walton basically had the greatest championship game in history and destroyed our team. I was in elementary when we went to the Final Four in 1985 but still vividly remember the team. I was in between middle and high school during the Penny years and saw us go to the Elite Eight with him. Then after graduating from there, I became an adjunct professor there in 2003. So my entire basketball devotion on a college level was to the school.

So in 2008 with Derrick Rose, we had finally made it to the championship game again in my lifetime. We're up three with like 10 seconds to go, and Kansas has to drive the full length of the court. I'm watching the TV yelling, "Foul as soon as they cross the half court line!" No one fouls, and Mario Chalmers hits the game tying three pointer to send the game into OT. I knew we were going to lose after that. I was hurt!

Im Still Ballin
02-17-2024, 03:51 AM
KB tearing his achilles after putting in all that effort to keep the 2013 season alive. Basically ended his career and put the Lakers into tank mode for 4 years. Me (and most Laker fans) before that game believed they could make a run as they were a top 5 team post-ASB with KB and Dwight peaking at the right time in March/April.

I just checked the numbers on that. 20-8 W/L - 58.6 win-pace. Not bad at all. It's a shame they drew the Spurs matchup. Had Kobe stayed healthy and they matched up with OKC in round one, they could've made it to the WCF.

ArbitraryWater
02-17-2024, 01:00 PM
I just checked the numbers on that. 20-8 W/L - 58.6 win-pace. Not bad at all. It's a shame they drew the Spurs matchup. Had Kobe stayed healthy and they matched up with OKC in round one, they could've made it to the WCF.

That was an infamous run full of whistles and obvious rigjobs. The fix was in. Ive never seen anything like it for such a sustained amount of time.

This could honestly make one of the most shocking documentaries ever, because its clear there was one point where orders came down..

Doomsday Dallas
02-17-2024, 01:32 PM

I personally feel that the Mavericks ended Kobe Bryant in 2011. 4-0 sweep of the Lakers, I was there. Lakers got obliterated into another dimension in that Game 4 and lost by 40 points... there wasn't going to be any recovery for KB after 2011.

Jason Terry went 9/10 for 3pts. Peja went 6/6 on 3pts.... Lakers & KB were obliterated into another realm.

.... and we prevented Lebron James from getting his first Ring.

tpols
02-17-2024, 01:37 PM
It wasn't heart breaking to me since I'm not a fan of the team but the way the 49ers choked the superbowl looked heart breaking to the players sitting cold and stoic with confetti falling on their heads as the Chiefs won yet again.

Doomsday Dallas
02-17-2024, 01:55 PM
It wasn't heart breaking to me since I'm not a fan of the team but the way the 49ers choked the superbowl looked heart breaking to the players sitting cold and stoic with confetti falling on their heads as the Chiefs won yet again.

idk... I felt bad for Detroit.

Lions have never been to the Super Bowl and they were up by 3 scores going into the 2nd half (17 points)...

For a city that has never been to the SB.... that's some heartbreaking $hit right there.

The Bay Area has the Golden State Warriors... people in SF are only a few years removed from celebrating 4 NBA championships from 2015-2022, and 3 World Series victories from 2010-2014.

That city should not be winning Super Bowls on top of that... it was for the greater good that SF lost this year, 2019, and in 2012.

tpols
02-17-2024, 02:22 PM
idk... I felt bad for Detroit.

Lions have never been to the Super Bowl and they were up by 3 scores going into the 2nd half (17 points)...

For a city that has never been to the SB.... that's some heartbreaking $hit right there.

The Bay Area has the Golden State Warriors... people in SF are only a few years removed from celebrating 4 NBA championships from 2015-2022, and 3 World Series victories from 2010-2014.

That city should not be winning Super Bowls on top of that... it was for the greater good that SF lost this year, 2019, and in 2012.

Looking back on it, although I thought the 49ers were the better team talent wise, I think the Lions would've had a better chance at beating the Chiefs because they have more heart and Dan Campbell wouldn't pussyfoot around playing it safe. He would've went for a knockout which is the only way you beat Mahomes and Reid. You can't beat them slow and methodical. You have to swing for the fences and take chances.

ShawkFactory
02-18-2024, 10:34 PM
I mean…28-3 is tough to beat.

The World Series in 2021 helped make up for it but the Braves had 25 years of heartbreak up to that point. Always in the mix and always watching 7th or 8th inning shenanigans in swing games.

ShawkFactory
02-18-2024, 10:41 PM
I'm still pissed off about that bullshit holding call in the Super bowl to effectively end the game last year.

https://youtu.be/-iHVi08qSB0?si=eAvuuLLzaSgPREIm

And this shot by John Lucas Jr. to end St. Joe's perfect season led by delonte west and jameer Nelson.

https://youtu.be/i3sMpw7kKIE?si=KAHbcyJzV_QxEp5D

That OK State/St Joes game was in the elite 8 if I recall. Georgia Tech won the final 4 game against them on a game winner. Not in the spirit of the thread but that was one of the high points of my sports watching career.

SouBeachTalents
02-18-2024, 11:24 PM
That OK State/St Joes game was in the elite 8 if I recall. Georgia Tech won the final 4 game against them on a game winner. Not in the spirit of the thread but that was one of the high points of my sports watching career.
That GT season is such an anomaly when looking at their track record, they've been a consistently irrelevant program over the last 25 years outside of that one tournament run. The craziest part to me is they had Chris Bosh the year before and were playing in the NIT :oldlol:

SATAN
02-18-2024, 11:51 PM
That All-Star game.

Cold soul
02-19-2024, 01:07 AM
I'm going off my favorite pro sports teams that had heartbreak as a diehard fan.

These games stick out the most to me as (Broncos, Lakers) fan. 2005 AFCG against Pittsburgh Steelers at home - 2012 playoff loss to Baltimore Ravens on Joe Flacco hail mary just completely crushed me horrific ending I thought Denver was destined to go all the way that season. 2013 getting spanked by Seattle in the SB was a major buzzkill that soured on an amazing season with historic offense that season Peyton Manning won his 5th regular season MVP reward. Lakers 2004 loss to Detroit Pistons in the NBA Finals, Kobe tearing his achilles in 2013 that basically ended his career and Kobe we all knew and loved was done as elite player.

ShawkFactory
02-19-2024, 04:02 PM
That GT season is such an anomaly when looking at their track record, they've been a consistently irrelevant program over the last 25 years outside of that one tournament run. The craziest part to me is they had Chris Bosh the year before and were playing in the NIT :oldlol:

There was definitely a good 2-3 year run there where there was some great continuity, depth, and veteran leadership. Jarrett Jack was an excellent college player.

GT also had some great teams in the late 80s and early-mid 90s. No championships but a couple final 4 appearances.

But yea since 2010 or so it's been pretty mid.

ImKobe
02-19-2024, 04:23 PM
That was an infamous run full of whistles and obvious rigjobs. The fix was in. Ive never seen anything like it for such a sustained amount of time.

This could honestly make one of the most shocking documentaries ever, because its clear there was one point where orders came down..

Lol that's such horseshit. Dwight got intentionally fouled on a regular basis and people cried about the FTA numbers. Yeah, there were videos of some bad calls that went in Lakers' favor (like there is every damn season and you could do this with every team btw) but people ignored all the calls went in the opponents' favor. Y'all do this with with every Laker season but somehow the league hasn't been exposed for rigging it in their favor all these years. Sure. That was the same league that denied the CP3 trade for us but we don't talk about it because it doesn't fit the narrative.