PDA

View Full Version : Just who was John Starks?

Hey Yo
02-16-2024, 02:43 AM
https://youtu.be/8m0bnR9cYsA?si=NVZSUPkC5lQkK0Lm

Kblaze8855
02-16-2024, 10:27 AM
A literal grocery bagger. At Safeway if I remember correctly. Slightly related…Safeway? Good rotisserie chicken. Nationwide rotisserie chicken ranking?

Wegmans
HEB
Safeway
Publix
Sams
Costco

Costcos is overhyped. Lives off size and price. No flavor though. Useful for other recipes though.

Anyway….in retrospect I respect Starks.

Didnt **** with him much at the time though. One of those non stars who earned a big name playing in New York and being streaky and aggressive. Imagine Pat Beverly with more athletic ability and offensive aggression.

Just a pest. But good to have on your side.

RogueBorg
02-16-2024, 10:41 AM
He was a punk, Reggie Lewis' whipping boy.

Patrick Chewing
02-16-2024, 11:40 AM
A game-7 choker :facepalm

Xiao Yao You
02-16-2024, 11:46 AM
A game-7 choker :facepalm

Is it choking when you aren't that good to begin with? 41% shooter. 34% from 3. What were you expecting him to do?

SouBeachTalents
02-16-2024, 11:48 AM
Is it choking when you aren't that good to begin with? 41% shooter. 34% from 3. What were you expecting him to do?
I don't think it's unreasonable to expect an NBA starter to do better than 2/18.

ArbitraryWater
02-16-2024, 11:49 AM

not go 2/18?

classic Xiao

Xiao Yao You
02-16-2024, 12:06 PM
I don't think it's unreasonable to expect an NBA starter to do better than 2/18.

when you're an inefficient shooter that's what you're going to get. Bring him off the bench if you expect more

Xiao Yao You
02-16-2024, 12:07 PM
I know I wasn't exccited when he came to Utah on the downside of his career. I think Sloan was stupid enough to start him too

Xiao Yao You
02-16-2024, 12:10 PM
His last 2 years here. 28 minutes a game the first year. Shot 40%/35% from 3. Fell off a cliff his final year. Ouch!

FKAri
02-16-2024, 01:32 PM
Is it choking when you aren't that good to begin with?
The question that lies in the middle of most choking debates.

I know I wasn't exccited when he came to Utah on the downside of his career. I think Sloan was stupid enough to start him too
You hate Sloan too? Who did you actually like?

Xiao Yao You
02-16-2024, 01:39 PM
The question that lies in the middle of most choking debates.

You hate Sloan too? Who did you actually like?

Hate is a strong word. Certainly don't think job security makes one great though, Like lots of guys, Like more guys than I don't like.

Patrick Chewing
02-16-2024, 01:52 PM

You can't go 2-18 in Game 7. He choked plain and simple. And 34% from 3 is pretty good. The previous 3 games he was over 50% shooting and in the most important game of the series, he just kept shooting and shooting the more and more he missed. Still pisses me off.

Xiao Yao You
02-16-2024, 02:33 PM
You can't go 2-18 in Game 7. He choked plain and simple. And 34% from 3 is pretty good. The previous 3 games he was over 50% shooting and in the most important game of the series, he just kept shooting and shooting the more and more he missed. Still pisses me off.

34% sucks. Didn't suck as much then as now but it's not good. He was due for a bad game if he'd been 50% in the previous 3. Again a low efficiency shooter. Going to even out at some point

Absolut Prince
02-16-2024, 04:59 PM
A literal grocery bagger. At Safeway if I remember correctly. Slightly related…Safeway? Good rotisserie chicken. Nationwide rotisserie chicken ranking?

Wegmans
HEB
Safeway
Publix
Sams
Costco

Costcos is overhyped. Lives off size and price. No flavor though. Useful for other recipes though.

Anyway….in retrospect I respect Starks.

Didnt **** with him much at the time though. One of those non stars who earned a big name playing in New York and being streaky and aggressive. Imagine Pat Beverly with more athletic ability and offensive aggression.

Just a pest. But good to have on your side.

Glad to see you're still alive, Kev

Kblaze8855
02-16-2024, 05:23 PM
I was Thinking about you recently in some political discussion. I remember you mentioned you or your dad having Republican contacts. I could be a solid political fraud right winger just making the argument white people love to hear Black people making. Now that it’s a part of maga it’s off the table though.

SATAN
02-16-2024, 06:20 PM
Even Chewing had to step in and correct Xiao's garbage take :oldlol:

imdaman99
02-16-2024, 08:29 PM
He carried them in game 6. Almost won them the series if it wasn't for a dramatic clutch block by Olajuwon. Yeah he was shit in game 7 but Ewing only played well in 1 game the entire series. Starks is a Knicks fan fav for life. He still comes to the games and the fans love him. I wear his jersey every time I go to a game. He was all heart. NY appreciates that but there are def fans that hate him for the game 7.

Absolut Prince
02-16-2024, 09:31 PM
I was Thinking about you recently in some political discussion. I remember you mentioned you or your dad having Republican contacts. I could be a solid political fraud right winger just making the argument white people love to hear Black people making. Now that it’s a part of maga it’s off the table though.

That was half of Clubhouse, half of current Twitter Spaces, and a bunch of dudes on TikTok. I went deep into the world. It's 95% grift. There are some oddballs who went from BHI or baptist to MAGA. Though, the reality is, you see a lot of black Democrats running on tough on crime platforms and beating out progressives. Philly's new major is a black woman who has talking points that sound very GOP. She's just tired of seeing crime in black neighborhoods, which pisses off progressives but is catnip for the white supremacists.

Suns4Life
02-16-2024, 09:41 PM
That was half of Clubhouse, half of current Twitter Spaces, and a bunch of dudes on TikTok. I went deep into the world. It's 95% grift. There are some oddballs who went from BHI or baptist to MAGA. Though, the reality is, you see a lot of black Democrats running on tough on crime platforms and beating out progressives. Philly's new major is a black woman who has talking points that sound very GOP. She's just tired of seeing crime in black neighborhoods, which pisses off progressives but is catnip for the white supremacists.

Some things never change

Kblaze8855
02-16-2024, 09:44 PM
Did someone Send up a flare? I refuse to believe this is coincidence.

Absolut Prince
02-16-2024, 09:49 PM

I saw some username on r/NBA that reminded me of the Quad Seoson thread and sent up a flare to Suns

Suns4Life
02-16-2024, 10:07 PM

It's our 20 something year reunion. Time to get the band back together, big dawg

kawhileonard2
02-16-2024, 10:41 PM
He is peak Klay Thompson.

Kblaze8855
02-16-2024, 11:25 PM
It's our 20 something year reunion. Time to get the band back together, big dawg

Euro and carbine are still here. Gobb as well. Carbine was recently claiming I was holding him back in the Mycrew era. He was lucky I had no witnesses to call.

Kblaze8855
02-16-2024, 11:31 PM
I saw some username on r/NBA that reminded me of the Quad Seoson thread and sent up a flare to Suns

based on our history, I feel like Reddit isn’t the type of place for us. Tens of thousands of people on every topic? I need an intimate group of 100 or less. We lasted 10-12 years with like 25 people.

Pointguard
02-16-2024, 11:44 PM
He carried them in game 6. Almost won them the series if it wasn't for a dramatic clutch block by Olajuwon. Yeah he was shit in game 7 but Ewing only played well in 1 game the entire series. Starks is a Knicks fan fav for life. He still comes to the games and the fans love him. I wear his jersey every time I go to a game. He was all heart. NY appreciates that but there are def fans that hate him for the game 7.

Yeah, talk about a guy who was all heart. Only guy who gets as much love as Starks in the world's most famous arena is Clyde. Dude was all heart. He was going to go down with all he had. And overachieved for the most part. He was bag packer that kept that code of live your sweat. Yea, I hear you on this.

Suns4Life
02-17-2024, 09:43 PM
based on our history, I feel like Reddit isn’t the type of place for us. Tens of thousands of people on every topic? I need an intimate group of 100 or less. We lasted 10-12 years with like 25 people.

Host a get together for us in one of your many houses

Absolut Prince
02-18-2024, 04:14 AM

I needed more obscurity and a place to see boobs that weren't Lasherra's

Kblaze8855
02-18-2024, 06:45 AM
Host a get together for us in one of your many houses

All that’s been gone since the start of Covid when it helped my “**** a job” transition tremendously. I’m down to 2 and one is gonna be gone once the kitchen is finished and I change the home office back to a bedroom.

Was gonna buy another in Port St. Lucie but the insurance is murder so I might actually end up in Texas.

CountDracula
02-18-2024, 07:19 AM
https://i.ibb.co/pxBnt4k/A65-F7-B2-F-1-D02-4-C08-B965-F465-C40-F381-D.jpg (https://ibb.co/wRFY9p2)

https://i.ibb.co/6NYhQ5w/75889877-D779-4-E1-A-B354-76353-A8979-F9.gif (https://imgbb.com/)

https://i.ibb.co/2KPmK1v/02011191-9185-4905-875-E-107-EFD0-E7717.gif (https://imgbb.com/)

Carbine
02-18-2024, 08:47 AM
Suns4lyfe can absolutely confirm everything I ever said about you in 2K.

Kblaze8855
02-18-2024, 09:33 AM
^
Comfortably the worst 2K player in history and the personal author of our greatest defeat.

Carbine
02-18-2024, 11:41 AM
You were the Doncic to his Brunson. You were always holding him back with your 90 percent dribble rate. When you were out he thrived.

Kblaze8855
02-18-2024, 03:54 PM
Except for the whole 30 or so game win streak I believe ended when you tried to do too much instead of knowing your role.

SATAN
02-18-2024, 08:11 PM
Just who was Mark Eaton though?

https://static.libsyn.com/p/assets/0/6/5/1/06518855ce4f4c2e/Art_-_TDH_108_-_Mark_Eaton_Art_2_-_Tile_-_.jpg

Xiao Yao You
02-18-2024, 08:25 PM
Just who was Mark Eaton though?

https://static.libsyn.com/p/assets/0/6/5/1/06518855ce4f4c2e/Art_-_TDH_108_-_Mark_Eaton_Art_2_-_Tile_-_.jpg

:facepalm

Suns4Life
02-18-2024, 09:41 PM
All that’s been gone since the start of Covid when it helped my “**** a job” transition tremendously. I’m down to 2 and one is gonna be gone once the kitchen is finished and I change the home office back to a bedroom.

Was gonna buy another in Port St. Lucie but the insurance is murder so I might actually end up in Texas.

Texas or Nevada would be the places to go to help that transition if Florida and avoiding child support isn't working out for you. Where were you looking? I actually moved back to Texas semi-recently.

Suns4Life
02-18-2024, 09:42 PM
^
Comfortably the worst 2K player in history and the personal author of our greatest defeat.

Its true, Carlton in the Fresh Prince episode embodied.

kawhileonard2
02-18-2024, 09:51 PM
:facepalm

He would have done this to Lebron each and every time. http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?462304-Which-was-the-better-block-on-Lebron-both-against-Brooklyn

Kblaze8855
02-18-2024, 10:14 PM
Texas or Nevada would be the places to go to help that transition if Florida and avoiding child support isn't working out for you. Where were you looking? I actually moved back to Texas semi-recently.

I stumbled into a long-term thing with a trust fund baby who decided she could afford to quit working when I did. So it’s just been a lot of travel for the last three years. I’ve been all over the place. Turns out I like San Antonio. I’ve always liked Austin and she does too now that we have been like 4 times. She wants us to go half on a house up in the hills out there. Dallas and Houston are doing a bit too much.

Kblaze8855
02-18-2024, 10:16 PM
Its true, Carlton in the Fresh Prince episode embodied.

he’s been talking shit for years because I didn’t have a witness readily available to set the record straight. After I was actually calling plays for that bum ass big man he forced onto us. I was his biggest supporter.

TJ44
02-20-2024, 08:08 AM
Referring to some older Posts:
Yes, Starks choked in Game 7 in the Finals against Houston but he contributed very much to bring the Team to the Finals.
Without him, maybe they couldn´t even have reached the Finals.

Starks was a great Player and tough to play against.

TheMan
02-21-2024, 03:08 AM
Yes, Starks choked in Game 7 in the Finals against Houston but he contributed very much to bring the Team to the Finals.

Hated those Knicks as a Bulls fan. Oddly enough, I was rooting for them vs HOU. Starks got most of the blame but Ewing should have stepped up more.

basketballcat
02-21-2024, 04:44 AM
First class plumber. Fixed a clog in my kitchen sink once. Nice guy.

Pointguard
02-25-2024, 08:30 PM
Hated those Knicks as a Bulls fan. Oddly enough, I was rooting for them vs HOU. Starks got most of the blame but Ewing should have stepped up more.

Yesh, Ewing didn't want anything to do with the ball. Only one player on the knicks did: Starks didn't shrink from the moment and took on the responsibility though it was never his job. Fight for the glory and if you got it in you, be about it. He was the captain of the ship that night.

Round Mound
02-27-2024, 07:44 PM
Underized SG. Played in the CBA before joining the NBA. Fierce competitor and had more heart than the whole nba today. In today's game the other player would be afraid of him. He played with real passion. Something that today's nba lacks.

warriorfan
02-27-2024, 08:07 PM
a respectable, journeyman, 1 time all star; much in the mold of jason terry

Yes. It’s definitely an all-time black mark. It’s clear cut the GOAT choke in NBA history. It’s been stated here many times and never been refuted. To be honest I don’t believe I’ve ever seen a LeBron stan never attempt to refute it. That is why they all try to sweep it under the rug and pretend it does not exist…unfortunately for them, it does exist, it happened, it’s not going away, it’s the goat choke.

To put this goat choke into perspective. Let’s imagine if Michael Jordan did what LeBron did. Lebron left his originally drafted team to join with the 2nd and 4th highest PER in the league. (They were all in the same conference as well. The historically weak eastern conference ) Only to end up losing in the NBA Finals while being outscored by Jason Terry despite logging many more minutes. (67 more minutes) https://www.basketball-reference.com/playoffs/2011-nba-finals-mavericks-vs-heat.html

https://i.postimg.cc/269Fz3Vc/388-F67-C3-A4-D7-417-B-A7-EA-A70-BF1912-F02.jpg

To put this into perspective that would be like if Michael Jordan left the bulls in his prime and joined with Hakeem Olajuwon and Charles Barkley....Only to lose in the Finals while being outscored by a 33 year old Byron Scott.

https://i.postimg.cc/V6vnH1Dj/48-B72-EF7-775-C-4-CAA-BDC3-5-CE1-C2-E5-BD6-B.jpg

If this goat choke was committed by Jordan it would eliminate him from any sort of goat contention. Even with the rest of Jordan’s flawless career it would still be not enough to overcome the goat choke.

I am actually a LeBron fan so I can unbiasedly say that I disappointedly realized that his legacy was over in 2011. The writing was on the wall during the 2010 decision and by 2011 we have all seen enough. The talk shifted from goat to hopefully LeBron can crack the top 10. If we are being easy on LeBron with a Homer take, 2011 counts as a negative ring at least. If you stack that up with some of his other questionable titles in lockout seasons or in exhibition style games….LeBron’s career has many holes and starts to fall apart, especially under more careful scrutiny.

mods: no bron stans touching this with a 10 foot pole, you can close this now

Pointguard
03-01-2024, 03:01 AM

Yes. It’s definitely an all-time black mark. It’s clear cut the GOAT choke in NBA history. It’s been stated here many times and never been refuted. To be honest I don’t believe I’ve ever seen a LeBron stan never attempt to refute it. That is why they all try to sweep it under the rug and pretend it does not exist…unfortunately for them, it does exist, it happened, it’s not going away, it’s the goat choke.

Are you talking about Starks or Lebron here?

warriorfan
03-01-2024, 03:42 AM
Are you talking about Starks or Lebron here?

Did John Starks ever join up with 2 of the top 4 PER in the league and promise 7 titles saying “it’s going to be easy”, only to subsequently get out scored in the Finals by a zero time all star, past prime, undersized sg, despite playing 67 more minutes?

Asking for a friend.

Airupthere
03-01-2024, 09:20 AM

To put this goat choke into perspective. Let’s imagine if Michael Jordan did what LeBron did. Lebron left his originally drafted team to join with the 2nd and 4th highest PER in the league. (They were all in the same conference as well. The historically weak eastern conference ) Only to end up losing in the NBA Finals while being outscored by Jason Terry despite logging many more minutes. (67 more minutes) https://www.basketball-reference.com/playoffs/2011-nba-finals-mavericks-vs-heat.html

https://i.postimg.cc/269Fz3Vc/388-F67-C3-A4-D7-417-B-A7-EA-A70-BF1912-F02.jpg

To put this into perspective that would be like if Michael Jordan left the bulls in his prime and joined with Hakeem Olajuwon and Charles Barkley....Only to lose in the Finals while being outscored by a 33 year old Byron Scott.

https://i.postimg.cc/V6vnH1Dj/48-B72-EF7-775-C-4-CAA-BDC3-5-CE1-C2-E5-BD6-B.jpg

If this goat choke was committed by Jordan it would eliminate him from any sort of goat contention. Even with the rest of Jordan’s flawless career it would still be not enough to overcome the goat choke.

I am actually a LeBron fan so I can unbiasedly say that I disappointedly realized that his legacy was over in 2011. The writing was on the wall during the 2010 decision and by 2011 we have all seen enough. The talk shifted from goat to hopefully LeBron can crack the top 10. If we are being easy on LeBron with a Homer take, 2011 counts as a negative ring at least. If you stack that up with some of his other questionable titles in lockout seasons or in exhibition style games….LeBron’s career has many holes and starts to fall apart, especially under more careful scrutiny.

mods: no bron stans touching this with a 10 foot pole, you can close this now

:applause:

jayfan
03-01-2024, 10:29 AM

These. Wasn't he the spark of the team that season?