PDA

View Full Version : Would you take Wemby over Hakeem, Shaq, Duncan, etc?

iamgine
02-17-2024, 08:00 AM
Lets say there's a guarantee that Wemby will be relatively healthy his whole career. Based on what you're seeing now, would you take him over Hakeem, Shaq, Duncan, or whoever else comes to mind?

beasted
02-17-2024, 09:11 AM
If these guys were magically in the same draft and this draft was in let's say 1998, Duncan and Hakeem probably. Shaq, no.

Mask the Embiid
02-17-2024, 09:28 AM
I would literally take him over every player ever as a 18 year old if you guaranteed his health….wemby right now is = to AD….as a 18 year old rookie he is already = to a future 1st ballot hall of famer in his prime….let that sink in

Imagine wtf he is going to be doing in 10 years if he actually has a high work ethic

Edit just looked it up he’s 20….hmmm I’m too lazy to delete the above but that does change things. I thought he was 18 this whole time. I don’t know if I’d take him over Bron and MJ now

ImKobe
02-17-2024, 09:55 AM
Even if guaranteed health I wouldn't be bold enough to take him over those guys just yet. We need to see him on a good team first and whether he can perform in big games. Right now he's allowed to make mistakes and lose games. Teams game plan against him since he's the only good player on his team, but at the same time they don't need to take him out of the game to beat his team, so I think the level of competition still isn't as high for him just yet.

He's having one of the best rookie seasons ever but we've seen plenty of young players that had mad potential but stopped working on their game once they got the money. Let's see how he does once he gets that max contract and is expected to win games.

Xiao Yao You
02-17-2024, 10:00 AM
Even if guaranteed health I wouldn't be bold enough to take him over those guys just yet. We need to see him on a good team first and whether he can perform in big games. Right now he's allowed to make mistakes and lose games. Teams game plan against him since he's the only good player on his team, but at the same time they don't need to take him out of the game to beat his team, so I think the level of competition still isn't as high for him just yet.

He's having one of the best rookie seasons ever but we've seen plenty of young players that had mad potential but stopped working on their game once they got the money. Let's see how he does once he gets that max contract and is expected to win games.

one of the best rookie seasons ever? Might not even be having the best one this year

Carbine
02-17-2024, 10:32 AM
There's no maybe about it right now. He is the ROY.currently.

Carbine
02-17-2024, 10:34 AM
In fact, the distance is even greater than I thought.

He is -800 favorite to win the award. He's a massive favorite.

tpols
02-17-2024, 10:46 AM
He's got so far to go to be compared to those guys. With what they let Giannis get away with Shaq would literally break today's league. He'd ragdoll everybody to a criminal degree.

tpols
02-17-2024, 10:48 AM
In fact, the distance is even greater than I thought.

He is -800 favorite to win the award. He's a massive favorite.

Wemby is awesome but that's the NBA marketing machine at work. They won't give it to Chet because he's a boring white guy whose not really marketable.

Xiao Yao You
02-17-2024, 10:49 AM
https://www.ranker.com/list/best-rookie-seasons-nba-all-time/patrick-alexander

he's not close. One of the best of the 2020's maybe!

ImKobe
02-17-2024, 10:52 AM
one of the best rookie seasons ever? Might not even be having the best one this year

Even if someone was better than Wemby this year his would still be among the best ever.

Chet had the lead in the advanced stuff early on but you do understand the pace Wemby has been on for about 2 months now?

Xiao Yao You
02-17-2024, 10:55 AM
Even if someone was better than Wemby this year his would still be among the best ever.

Chet had the lead in the advanced stuff early on but you do understand the pace Wemby has been on for about 2 months now?

guys have won championships and mvp's in tougher eras with a lot greater stats. He's not close. I understand Wemby is having a good year rookie year on an awful team.

ImKobe
02-17-2024, 11:01 AM
guys have won championships and mvp's in tougher eras with a lot greater stats. He's not close. I understand Wemby is having a good year rookie year on an awful team.

Ok, but most rookies (the top picks at least) have been on bad teams, and his season ranks among the best all-time. Like top 10 all-time and I'm not saying he's a contender for best ever since we've had so many great ones from Magic, MJ, TD, Bird, but considering his age and the pressure that was put on him, he's easily there with Lebron (who also put up decent numbers on a bad team) as far as the best rookie seasons go.

Chet has measured up to Wemby on D and u might even want to give him more credit since he's doing it on a better team, but Wemby's offense has been great for a long stretch now. He's averaging 23/10/4 1.1 stls 3.3 blks on 50/36/84 splits over his last 20 games.

Xiao Yao You
02-17-2024, 11:02 AM
Magic didn't win with 18/8/7.
Wilt 38 and 27 and MVP
Oscar 31/10/10
Kareem 29/15
MJ 28/7/6
Baylor 25/15
Unseld 14/19 MVP
Bellamy 32/19
Lucas 17/17
Robinson 24/12/4 blks best Spur rookie year?
Bird 21/10

a lot of these guys turned bad teams into good ones which Wemby hasn't done either

ImKobe
02-17-2024, 11:06 AM
Magic didn't win with 18/8/7.
Wilt 38 and 27 and MVP
Oscar 31/10/10
Kareem 29/15
MJ 28/7/6
Baylor 25/15
Unseld 14/19 MVP
Bellamy 32/19
Lucas 17/17
Robinson 24/12/4 blks best Spur rookie year?
Bird 21/10

a lot of these guys turned bad teams into good ones which Wemby hasn't done either

And most of these seasons are not from the modern era. If we go by the last 30 years Wemby's is up there with TD and Lebron. I think that qualifies as one of the best rookie seasons. Doesn't have top be a top 5 contender. For Wemby to put up 20/10 3 blocks at 19/20 years old is fking impressive man. He's younger than all the guys on your list were.

RachlNicholsazz
02-17-2024, 11:09 AM
The obvious answer is no, hell no and no

Xiao Yao You
02-17-2024, 11:10 AM
And most of these seasons are not from the modern era. If we go by the last 30 years Wemby's is up there with TD and Lebron. I think that qualifies as one of the best rookie seasons. Doesn't have top be a top 5 contender. For Wemby to put up 20/10 3 blocks at 19/20 years old is fking impressive man. He's younger than all the guys on your list were.

You didn't say the last 30 years. Didn't know we weren't counting the 80's or the GOAT. Younger in a younger league. No one was playing against 19 year olds then. The modern era is supposed to mean something with the numbers being put up now? He's impressive but not one of the best rookie years ever.

Xiao Yao You
02-17-2024, 11:18 AM
He's high in defensive rating, Def reb %, def. box +/-. Offensive numbers not highly ranked unless usage and turnovers get you excited. Probably one of the best defensive rookies ever anyway or at least one of top two this season

Chet high in def. Rating, def. box +/-, def. win shares, win shares, vorp, eff. fg%. Better two way player

Right now it would be hard to take Wemby over Chet. Could change?

Phoenix
02-17-2024, 11:49 AM
I'm not sure what question is being asked. Are you asking if you would take Wemby over those guys if they were all in the same draft, or are you taking Wemby based on his potential( and 'guaranteed' health) with the hindset of knowing what those guys became?

dankok8
02-17-2024, 12:34 PM
People have short memories. There is A LOT of better rookies in NBA history.

Xiao Yao You
02-17-2024, 12:49 PM
People have short memories. There is A LOT of better rookies in NBA history.

only last 30 years. The rest of history doesn't count

tontoz
02-17-2024, 12:52 PM

That is a key issue. It isn't really fair to compare him to guys who spent 3/4 years in college. He just turned 20 ffs.

Xiao Yao You
02-17-2024, 12:54 PM
That is a key issue. It isn't really fair to compare him to guys who spent 3/4 years in college. He just turned 20 ffs.

the guys that spent time in college weren't playing professionally and they weren't playing against 19 year olds either when they entered the league either

Carbine
02-17-2024, 12:59 PM
How does it make you feel that Wemby is a better player in his rookie year than Gobart has ever been in his life?

tontoz
02-17-2024, 01:07 PM
the guys that spent time in college weren't playing professionally and they weren't playing against 19 year olds either when they entered the league either

There is a big maturity difference between a 19 yr old and a 21/22 yr old, both mentally and physically.

Xiao Yao You
02-17-2024, 01:21 PM
There is a big maturity difference between a 19 yr old and a 21/22 yr old, both mentally and physically.

yep and until the mid 90's NBA rookies were playing against few 19 year olds

Xiao Yao You
02-17-2024, 01:38 PM
How does it make you feel that Wemby is a better player in his rookie year than Gobart has ever been in his life?

The potential goat is supposed to be better than a late first round project. He isn't there yet. If he was the Spurs wouldn't suck. If he puts in the work like Gobert has and can somehow not snap in 2 he might get there.

Victor is ahead in Def reb. % because Gobert is sharing them with Towns. Gobert 1st in def. rating. Wemby 5th. Gobert is 1st in def. win shares. Wemby 15th. Gobert 5th in off reb %. Wemby no where to be found. Gobert 3rd overall reb % Wemby 10th. Gobert 14th in off rating. Wemby no where to be found. Gobert 10th win shares per 48. Wemby no where to be found. Def win shares Gobert 1st. Wemby 15th. Gobert 5th in win shares. Wemby no where to be found. Gobert 17th in minutes played. Wemby huffing and puffing. Gobert 19th in games. Wemby huffing and puffing. ts% Gobert 8th. Wemby no where to be found. eff fg% Gobert 6th Wemby no where to be found. Gobert 10th in 2 pt FG% Wemby no where to be found. FG% Gobert 4th Wemby no where to be found. Wins Gobert. Wemby owns usage, turnovers and losses though! Facts vs hype.

Nice showing for the kid. Still a ways to go. I'm sure he'll learn plenty playing next to the soon to be 4 time DPOTY this summer. He should try to get up to fellow rookie Chet's level before he worries about an all NBAer though

Im Still Ballin
02-17-2024, 01:41 PM
I can't go that far just yet. His defense has been as good as projected from day one; his offense is trending upwards rapidly. But we'll have to see how things pan out.

Some defensive numbers...

Victor Wembanyama 2023-24:

Defensive rating ON-COURT: 115.2
Defensive rating OFF-COURT: 122.3

Defensive rating ON-OFF: +7.1

That's the equivalent of being the 15th-best defense when he's on the court versus the 30th (worst) when he's off it. The league average offensive rating is 115.9, so Victor has the defense performing slightly above average.

Let's also remember that Victor was played out of position for the first 19 games. A week or two ago it was reported that he had the Spurs at a 112 defensive rating since moving positions when he was on the court. That was good for 7th in the league at the time. So, -3.9 rDRtg and +10.3 ON-OFF if we use the current off-court number.

Insane impact on defense. Going from performing like the 7th-best defense when he's on the court to the 30th when he's off it.

ImKobe
02-17-2024, 06:50 PM
You didn't say the last 30 years. Didn't know we weren't counting the 80's or the GOAT. Younger in a younger league. No one was playing against 19 year olds then. The modern era is supposed to mean something with the numbers being put up now? He's impressive but not one of the best rookie years ever.

If I told you that Jokic was one of the greatest players of all-time, you wouldn't respond to me with a "oh well here's 10 players who had better careers so you're wrong".

His rookie season is top 5 in the modern era and easily top 20 overall so he in fact is having one of the best rookie seasons ever. And lol @ listing me guys from the 60s & 70s and then trying to make the "modern era inflated stats" argument. You can do better.

Xiao Yao You
02-17-2024, 07:03 PM
If I told you that Jokic was one of the greatest players of all-time, you wouldn't respond to me with a "oh well here's 10 players who had better careers so you're wrong".

His rookie season is top 5 in the modern era and easily top 20 overall so he in fact is having one of the best rookie seasons ever. And lol @ listing me guys from the 60s & 70s and then trying to make the "modern era inflated stats" argument. You can do better.

Sorry I'm an antique. I remember the GOAT's rookie year back in the prehistoric age. Didn't know it wasn't modern because the defense could touch the offense

ErhnamDjinn
02-17-2024, 10:01 PM
Wouldnt take him over shaq or timmy d

dankok8
02-18-2024, 01:36 AM
only last 30 years. The rest of history doesn't count

Ok Wemby has had the worst rookie year of the four of them (him plus Hakeem/Shaq/Duncan) so no I wouldn't. Not even from that aspect. And of course expecting him to improve to top 10 all time heights that these guys reached in their primes is super far-fetched.

Xiao Yao You
02-18-2024, 10:34 AM
Ok Wemby has had the worst rookie year of the four of them (him plus Hakeem/Shaq/Duncan) so no I wouldn't. Not even from that aspect. And of course expecting him to improve to top 10 all time heights that these guys reached in their primes is super far-fetched.

I'd agree and just learned that the modern era doesn't include the 80's or even the early 90's. The Dark Ages!

lxlHoTsAuSelxl
02-18-2024, 11:21 AM
In this era, Shaq would still squash everyone in the paint. Problem is now a days all the centers shoot threes which is his kryptonite(not counting his ft shooting). With that said, I'll still choose Shaq and Tim over Wemby.

Cold soul
02-18-2024, 11:59 PM
I would not take Wemby over any of these three players nothing from Wemby yet has shown me he could potentially be on the level of those three HOF players. I know Wemby is so young but get back to me in 5-6 years time from now and I think we all will have more clearer picture.