PDA

View Full Version : Kawhi's 3-point shooting this season is next level

basketballcat
02-20-2024, 02:48 AM
Kawhi is shooting 45.3% from 3. That's better than Steph, Dame, or KD.

In fact, that's on par with Steph's best shooting season ever at 45.5%.

Kawhi had a slow start to the season as well. His first 15 or so games brought the average down. He might beat Steph's best for the full season.

Only 2 players this season have higher 3pt%. Kennard at #2 shoots significantly less 3s.

Not a fluke, as Kawhi's career playoff 3pt% > Curry's.

FultzNationRISE
02-20-2024, 02:55 AM
Yeah his jumper is serious, Ive said even before this season he’s the guy you just never expect to miss when he rises up to shoot.

You can tell that playing against Lebron in back to back finals during his formative years made him the player he is today.

It’s just a shame we wont see him in the playoffs due to whatever injury or precaution he’s gonna end up sitting over.

fsvr54
02-20-2024, 03:04 AM
I first noticed it in that 2017 season when Zaza ruined a potential GOAT career, but his J looked serious even back then. It kind of came out of nowhere. He was a rebounder, finisher and defender and suddenly he's destroying Memphis in the first round looking like Jordan with the midrange.

iamgine
02-20-2024, 04:48 AM
It's equal to Norman Powell.

HylianNightmare
02-20-2024, 06:07 AM
Chip

90sgoat
02-20-2024, 08:10 AM
Kawhi is the best basketball player of his generation and if he hadn't been injured, it would be obvious.

I hope Kawhi wins this year, because it would give him 3 rings with 3 teams as the best player. That's something very few players have done, matching Lebron.

Wardell Curry
02-20-2024, 10:10 AM
Kawhi is the best basketball player of his generation and if he hadn't been injured, it would be obvious.

I hope Kawhi wins this year, because it would give him 3 rings with 3 teams as the best player. That's something very few players have done, matching Lebron.

If he doesn't travel with the ball and get the luckiest bounce in NBA history on the same play, not only is he ringless as the man, but you wouldn't be making that post and Ben Simmons would still be on the 76ers with a ring to show for it. Joel Embiid wouldn't be a playoff choker. Jimmy Butler might still be in Philly. Woulda, coulda, shoulda. Yada, yada, yada. Blah blah blah.

tontoz
02-20-2024, 10:21 AM
Kawhi takes only 5 3s per game. He isn't taking the tougher, contested 3s that a lot of other guys take.

Steph makes as many 3s per game as Kawhi attempts. :lol

Jasper
02-20-2024, 11:10 AM
Kawhi is shooting 45.3% from 3. That's better than Steph, Dame, or KD.

In fact, that's on par with Steph's best shooting season ever at 45.5%.

Kawhi had a slow start to the season as well. His first 15 or so games brought the average down. He might beat Steph's best for the full season.

Only 2 players this season have higher 3pt%. Kennard at #2 shoots significantly less 3s.

Not a fluke, as Kawhi's career playoff 3pt% > Curry's.

he had to increase his game cause he is a cripple.

Jasper
02-20-2024, 11:11 AM
Kawhi takes only 5 3s per game. He isn't taking the tougher, contested 3s that a lot of other guys take.

pretty much.

90sgoat
02-20-2024, 04:20 PM

He does however make the contested midrange shots that Curry or Lebron can't make.

tontoz
02-20-2024, 04:28 PM
He does however make the contested midrange shots that Curry or Lebron can't make.

That's swell but irrelevant to the topic.

basketballcat
02-20-2024, 04:56 PM

Why is there a notion that Curry's 3s are so much more difficult? It's a myth. Lol. Moving and illegal screens are GSW's bread and butter. It's literally one of the foundations of their dynasty.

KD attempts less 3s than Kawhi, which is a decent amount. Both have a mid range and post game, which Curry does not. KD gets the respect as a shooter, even described as one of the greatest "natural shooters" ever. Kawhi's careee regular season shooting %s are on par with KD. Kawhi's career playoff shooting %s are actually better than KDs.

Kawhi gets recognition for his mid range. All I'm saying is that a lot of people overlook how good he is at 3. Up there, with the best of them.

basketballcat
02-20-2024, 04:59 PM
he had to increase his game cause he is a cripple.

I am sensing insecurity. Uh oh ... somebody's legacy getting threatened? Perhaps somebody who is a clown at 3. Lol.

basketballcat
02-20-2024, 05:04 PM
If he doesn't travel with the ball and get the luckiest bounce in NBA history on the same play, not only is he ringless as the man, but you wouldn't be making that post and Ben Simmons would still be on the 76ers with a ring to show for it. Joel Embiid wouldn't be a playoff choker. Jimmy Butler might still be in Philly. Woulda, coulda, shoulda. Yada, yada, yada. Blah blah blah.

Thanks for reminding us of the time Kawhi made Embiid cry, and Kawhi beat Butler, Simmons, Harris, and Embiid. Torched every one of them with 34.7 ppg. What did Embiid average? 17.6. Jimmy? Led the 76ers with 22. Dem boys got whooped. Good times.

tontoz
02-20-2024, 05:09 PM
Why is there a notion that Curry's 3s are so much more difficult? It's a myth. Lol. Moving and illegal screens are GSW's bread and butter. It's literally one of the foundations of their dynasty.

KD attempts less 3s than Kawhi, which is a decent amount. Both have a mid range and post game, which Curry does not. KD gets the respect as a shooter, even described as one of the greatest "natural shooters" ever. Kawhi's careee regular season shooting %s are on par with KD. Kawhi's career playoff shooting %s are actually better than KDs.

Kawhi gets recognition for his mid range. All I'm saying is that a lot of people overlook how good he is at 3. Up there, with the best of them.

Kawhi averages 2.3 made 3s per game which ranks 39th in the league.

*yawn*

https://www.teamrankings.com/nba/player-stat/three-point-field-goals-made

basketballcat
02-20-2024, 05:44 PM

*yawn*

KD is even more yawn, then. Lol.

warriorfan
02-20-2024, 05:56 PM

I agree

As early as 2015 I thought leonard was the best player in the league or going to be very soon

His injury history has been awful for the game

warriorfan
02-20-2024, 05:58 PM

*yawn*

Yes, volume and percentages go hand in hand.

I agree leonard’s shooting has been impressive but it’s obviously easier to maintain those percentages when you are shooting in relatively low volume

tontoz
02-20-2024, 06:00 PM
KD is even more yawn, then. Lol.

Absolutely. Obviously both are good 3 pt shooters but when you start talking about the best 3 pt shooters you have to look at accuracy and volume.

I was listening to a podcast recently talking about this exact thing. They were told that defenses are more concerned with the volume 3 pt shooters as opposed to the guys who have good percentages on low volume, not saying 5 per game is low necessarily.

basketballcat
02-20-2024, 06:14 PM
Absolutely. Obviously both are good 3 pt shooters but when you start talking about the best 3 pt shooters you have to look at accuracy and volume.

I was listening to a podcast recently talking about this exact thing. They were told that defenses are more concerned with the volume 3 pt shooters as opposed to the guys who have good percentages on low volume, not saying 5 per game is low necessarily.

Kawhi and KD have average volume 3s BECAUSE they have other things in their offensive bag. Curry spams rs BECAUSE he has little else. All elite range shooters.

tontoz
02-20-2024, 06:24 PM
Kawhi and KD have average volume 3s BECAUSE they have other things in their offensive bag. Curry spams rs BECAUSE he has little else. All elite range shooters.

Little else? Curry's other shooting percentages:

At rim 70%
3-10 feet 49% (down this year)
10-16 feet 47%
16 - 3 pt line 49%.

And he doesn't have All-NBA players around him to take away the defensive attention. Steph is always the main focus of the opposing D. Durant and Kawhi have elite scorers as teammates.

NBAGOAT
02-20-2024, 06:35 PM

lol thinking basketball talking about the cavs right. it doesnt matter that the cavs shoot like 36% from 3, they have too many shooters and put so many it still completely opens up the paint for mitchell drives allen finishes etc.

kd/kawhi's 3pt shooting doesnt have nearly the effect on defenses curry's does because of volume and maybe reputation too. teams will let kd/kawhi settle for a 3 that's not happening with curry. harden may have shot like 36% from 3 but his 3pt shooting has more of an effect than kd/kawhi too because of volume and reputation. I remember when the bucks had bledsoe guard harden and give him a free drive because they didnt want to give up the stepback

basketballcat
02-20-2024, 06:37 PM
Little else? Curry's other shooting percentages:

At rim 70%
3-10 feet 49% (down this year)
10-16 feet 47%
16 - 3 pt line 49%.

And he doesn't have All-NBA players around him to take away the defensive attention. Steph is always the main focus of the opposing D. Durant and Kawhi have elite scorers as teammates.

Now do attempts. Lol. Use the exact same logic that you have applied for 3s.

Also, just 70% at point blank range? The rest are pedestrian %s. Like I said, he isn't particularly strong on non-3 FGs.

Xiao Yao You
02-20-2024, 06:43 PM

Also, just 70% at point blank range? The rest are pedestrian %s. Like I said, he isn't particularly strong on non-3 FGs.

above league average on 2's 3's ft's. Not sure about every distance but obviously most of them

tontoz
02-20-2024, 06:53 PM

Curry is currently shooting 12% better than Kawhi from 16 - 3 pt line.

Saying someone is elite and saying they do nothing else is a pretty big disparity. I never claimed Curry was elite in any area other than 3s but saying he does nothing else is just lying. Curry shoots well from everywhere and shoots 92% from the foul line.

When you claim someone is "next level" it can't be just about percentages. Using that logic Steve Kerr is a better 3 pt shooter than Curry.

basketballcat
02-20-2024, 07:03 PM
Curry is currently shooting 12% better than Kawhi from 16 - 3 pt line.

Saying someone is elite and saying they do nothing else is a pretty big disparity. I never claimed Curry was elite in any area other than 3s but saying he does nothing else is just lying. Curry shoots well from everywhere and shoots 92% from the foul line.

When you claim someone is "next level" it can't be just about percentages. Using that logic Steve Kerr is a better 3 pt shooter than Curry.

Interesting how you deliberately nitpick that range that Curry shoots better, when Kawhi has superior efficiency on every other range. Lol. Also, again that little detail called FGA is a thorn in your analysis. Kawhi takes very little shots at that particular range, the one that is almost a 3.

You seem to have difficulty in comprehending adjectives. I didn't say "nothing else". I said "little else". Meaning his bag of offensive output is heavily biased towards threes, unlike the more balanced mix of Kawhi & KD.

As for Kerr, you need to define what you mean by "better". Kerr and many others certainly are more EFFICIENT at the 3 than Curry.

All elite shooters from 3. But if you insist on Curry being the best and greatest, have at it. Makes no difference to me.

I've had enough of splitting hairs. I'll let you have the last word, if you feel the itch. Ciao.

tontoz
02-20-2024, 07:12 PM
Interesting how you deliberately nitpick that range that Curry shoots better, when Kawhi has superior efficiency on every other range. Lol. Also, again that little detail called FGA is a thorn in your analysis. Kawhi takes very little shots at that particular range, the one that is almost a 3.

You seem to have difficulty in comprehending adjectives. I didn't say "nothing else". I said "little else". Meaning his bag of offensive output is heavily biased towards threes, unlike the more balanced mix of Kawhi & KD.

As for Kerr, you need to define what you mean by "better". Kerr and many others certainly are more EFFICIENT at the 3 than Curry.

All elite shooters from 3. But if you insist on Curry being the best and greatest, have at it. Makes no difference to me.

I've had enough of splitting hairs. I'll let you have the last word, if you feel the itch. Ciao.

First of all i listed Steph's percentages from every area. "little else" is also wrong given that Steph shoots well from every area and is certainly one of the league leaders from the foul line.

BTW Steph averages 4 more ppg than Kawhi with the identical TS of 63.6%.

Street Hunger
02-23-2024, 04:15 PM
Doesn't it feel like a lot of people forgot about how good a healthy kawhi Leonard is?