PDA

View Full Version : I’m gonna be posting this about once a year or so till I’m satisfied…..

Kblaze8855
02-20-2024, 10:58 PM
….that you’re all aware that yesterdays player…is not todays player.

https://youtu.be/-K2tTP-v5O4?si=ocjoWy9H36yf_IYl

Whatever you think about the ability difference between eras you can’t argue that the realness has plummeted. If Barkley, Malone, Isiah, Bird and so on were in the social media era I don’t know if they change or just…reset the standard.

Maybe the difference is all these guys grow up seeing how to navigate the world of controversy and have publicists and team reps keeping too much realness from peaking through.

Nobody would jump in to stop Hakeem saying some wild shit and pre internet it would be slow to spread.

The constant coach complaining, shitting on fans, trade demands in public, open feuds and so on. The media was still out to get you but they had to do it in a paper that wouldn’t get national attention unless it was truly wild. You could just kinda speak your mind. The local media might’ve been even more hostile, but they had no way to get international outrage at the things they were complaining about.

I can’t decide if Barkley would be loved today or hated. He did way more and said way more than people they talk about not needing to be in the league.

He certainly couldn’t get away with some of that stuff from back then and I wonder to what extent those guys could really change.

I’m not sure this generation is softer or just faces greater consequences so they learned to mask it. Probably more masking.

1987_Lakers
02-20-2024, 11:00 PM
https://worldstar.com/videos/wshh60J7Www7AU6sscF5/stop-d-ck-riding-charles-barkley-had-shaq-mad-af-behind-the-scenes-of-inside-the-nba-gives-a-glimpse-of-the-crews-true-personalities

eliteballer
02-20-2024, 11:03 PM
Barkley was the exception..not the rule.

1987_Lakers
02-20-2024, 11:05 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LfE0ITP4zM

L.Kizzle
02-20-2024, 11:22 PM
Hell, Arenas isn't to far away from this era. I remember things he did (even pre gun incident.)
But also Rodman.
Imagine Moses Malone today ...
Obviously Abdul-Rauf.

Kblaze8855
02-20-2024, 11:24 PM
Barkley was the exception..not the rule.

I’d say he’s more the best example of the rule but not an exception. Even the most media savvy types who tried to keep quiet would say things then that would get them destroyed today. Think Jordan could talk about Krause like that in 2024 and not cause a shitstorm?

Who openly criticizes teammates these days? Guys used to get called out by name.

eliteballer
02-20-2024, 11:32 PM
I’d say he’s more the best example of the rule but not an exception. Even the most media savvy types who tried to keep quiet would say things then that would get them destroyed today. Think Jordan could talk about Krause like that in 2024 and not cause a shitstorm?

Who openly criticizes teammates these days? Guys used to get called out by name.

That's not true at all...and ironically Jordan is the perfect example. Players had to act more clean cut back then as far as what they said and how they acted (on the court was a different matter).

Just a more conservative time in general as far as how far you could go in mass media.

Barkley was throwing people thru windows at bars. His behavior was not the norm for players.

For as much of a hick as Malone was/is...look at how professional he was in interviews compared to how many players are now.

tpols
02-20-2024, 11:45 PM
Draymonds reign of terror this year has been more epic than any Barkley quotes. :pimp:

ArbitraryWater
02-21-2024, 12:06 AM
https://worldstar.com/videos/wshh60J7Www7AU6sscF5/stop-d-ck-riding-charles-barkley-had-shaq-mad-af-behind-the-scenes-of-inside-the-nba-gives-a-glimpse-of-the-crews-true-personalities

lmaooo

highwhey
02-21-2024, 12:11 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LfE0ITP4zM

:oldlol:

much better chemistry than shaq. for one, dray can take the jokes and dish them back just as good. that's a tnt duo right there if chuck doesn't retire soon.

Jasper
02-21-2024, 01:07 AM
code of ethics as a professional athlete , barkley broke.

Barkley was in his far share of scraps in bars in Milwaukee...

He is who he is ..I love him to this day for being blunt and straight forward.

I try to carry myself the same way, but many do not understand it ,to this day.

Charlie Sheen
02-21-2024, 04:20 AM
the realness

https://youtu.be/nAXpElK4S9E?si=Rmy4vY0xCH247AVp

Reminds me how fans today have gotten too comfortable crossing the line with personal shit.

tontoz
02-21-2024, 09:10 AM
Barkley's bit on TNT about the fat women in San Antonio was classic.

rmt
02-21-2024, 09:48 AM
Chuck is the best! I like the bluntness instead of tip-toeing around - afraid to say what you really think. The camaraderie between him, Ernie and Kenny is outstanding - Shaq (not so much - mumbles too much - but he's growing on me).

Kblaze8855
02-21-2024, 11:56 AM
That's not true at all...and ironically Jordan is the perfect example. Players had to act more clean cut back then as far as what they said and how they acted (on the court was a different matter).

Just a more conservative time in general as far as how far you could go in mass media.

Barkley was throwing people thru windows at bars. His behavior was not the norm for players.

For as much of a hick as Malone was/is...look at how professional he was in interviews compared to how many players are now.

Yea….

Picture the response on social media and here if Lebron said this after a trade deadline:

When Davis was dealt to Portland, the Bulls were on a four-game Western Conference road swing, and an angry Jordan told reporters that he would confront Bull owner Jerry Reinsdorf upon returning to the Windy City.
"As soon as we get back, I'm calling (Jerry) Reinsdorf. Krause has messed everything up again. He can't do anything." Said (https://archive.seattletimes.com/archive/?date=19910203&slug=1264100) Jordan.
That wasn't the first time he launched a tirade on his GM. Two days earlier, MJ also unloaded on Krause:
"I can't understand it; Jerry Krause will have to explain it to you guys (the media)," Jordan said. "If I were GM, we wouldn't be in this position, we'd be a better team."

Jordan used to moo at him in front of everyone when he walked by. Openly clowned him in public. James Harden had a brief 80s moment talking about Morey and it led sports center.

Kblaze8855
02-21-2024, 12:04 PM
Draymonds reign of terror this year has been more epic than any Barkley quotes. :pimp:

It’s actually funny to me. Draymond isn’t even as bad as Hakeem was before he got old and mellowed out and nobody even remembers him as problematic. Hakeem slapped teammates, opponents, and threatened people all the time. Dirty fouls. He and mad max got into it once because max was “disrespecting” him by missing him in the post and they argued all the way to the locker room…here is what Max said happened:

"'Maxey what did you say to me? What did you say to me?'

"Bam … out of nowhere.

"I was getting ready to say, 'Man go ahead …' Then bam, he knocked the taste out of my mouth. I went crazy, I ran everybody out of that locker room, Rudy T., the police, everybody came in there, 'You better calm down.' I wanted to get someone. I busted a glass. I had glass in my hands. Cutting my hand up. They're telling me, 'Max, put the glass down.' Man, I’m mad as hell. Man, that motherf----- slapped the sh-- out of me, man."

Hakeem open palm bitch slapped him in front of everyone. A chair was thrown which broke a window and max took a shard of glass and went to stab Hakeem as security broke it up.

Hakeem slapped multiple teammates. Got in multiple fights. Fouled the **** outta people he thought disrespected him talked shit about his GM and said he wouldn’t play for him again. I believe he went public with it twice before he left(GM ended up in Portland). Hakeem would be suspended all the time now acting like he did then.

Draymond wouldn’t even be noteworthy at that time. Danny Ainge was more of a problem child than Draymond but nobody today knows it because nobody cared at the time. Danny damn near bit off Tree Rollins finger….

1987_Lakers
02-21-2024, 12:14 PM
Danny Ainge was more of a problem child than Draymond but nobody today knows it because nobody cared at the time. Danny damn near bit off Tree Rollins finger….

Lol, no. Ainge was more of a annoying pest, he wasn't going around getting countless technicals, punching teammates, & sucker punching opponents.

L.Kizzle
02-21-2024, 12:15 PM
It’s actually funny to me. Draymond isn’t even as bad as Hakeem was before he got old and mellowed out and nobody even remembers him as problematic. Hakeem slapped teammates, opponents, and threatened people all the time. Dirty fouls. He and mad max got into it once because max was “disrespecting” him by missing him in the post and they argued all the way to the locker room…here is what Max said happened:

Hakeem open palm bitch slapped him in front of everyone. A chair was thrown which broke a window and max took a shard of glass and went to stab Hakeem as security broke it up.

Hakeem slapped multiple teammates. Got in multiple fights. Fouled the **** outta people he thought disrespected him talked shit about his GM and said he wouldn’t play for him again. I believe he went public with it twice before he left(GM ended up in Portland). Hakeem would be suspended all the time now acting like he did then.

Draymond wouldn’t even be noteworthy at that time. Danny Ainge was more of a problem child than Draymond but nobody today knows it because nobody cared at the time. Danny damn near bit off Tree Rollins finger….
It was common back then so it wasn't really out-of place.
Maxwell was probably worse than Hakeem.

Each team had one or two guys like that back in the day.

Xavier McDaniel beating Dale Ellis ass in a elevator years before Jay-Z and Solange throwdown.

Kblaze8855
02-21-2024, 12:36 PM
Lol, no. Ainge was more of a annoying pest, he wasn't going around getting countless technicals, punching teammates, & sucker punching opponents.

Draymond would get suspended the rest of the season for this

https://www.hostpic.org/images/2402212203450388.gif

And he doesn’t have half the history of fighting and generally chippy incidents Ainge had.

Draymond wouldn’t be a top three asshole on those Celtics. Larry Bird was more physical and prone to act out and start shit than Draymond Green. Larry sucker punch the guy in a preseason game.

Kblaze8855
02-21-2024, 01:02 PM
It was common back then so it wasn't really out-of place.
Maxwell was probably worse than Hakeem.

Each team had one or two guys like that back in the day.

Xavier McDaniel beating Dale Ellis ass in a elevator years before Jay-Z and Solange throwdown.

Yea very little of it was shocking. Just….the highlights of the days action. Hakeem as he was wouldn’t last a month before a season long suspension. As Wayne would put it…he didn’t shoot back because he shot first:

https://i.ibb.co/RPBfJPJ/IMG-7781.gif

https://i.ibb.co/cNVsqW9/IMG-7782.gif

https://i.ibb.co/w7Gxw9v/IMG-7783.gif

Gave Mitch Kupchak and Michael Cage the left hook. He tried to take Dennis Johnson head off with an overhand left while they were fighting the Celtics too.

Most have seen when he slapped dude on the Jazz, but that was not out of character. He slept all of his teammates, who forgot to throw the ball back to him after he made a shot shooting around. I can’t remember who it was but I think it was a rookie. Hakeem walked up and slapped him and told him “You must always give Dream his change”.

Draymond wouldn’t even be noteworthy in those days.

FultzNationRISE
02-21-2024, 02:25 PM

https://i.ibb.co/cNVsqW9/IMG-7782.gif

https://i.ibb.co/w7Gxw9v/IMG-7783.gif

Never knew he was a southpaw.

Kblaze8855
02-22-2024, 10:13 AM
He’s probably like me, in that he’s naturally left-handed, but was taught to do everything right handed so he’s just ambidextrous now. Unfortunately, I’m the shitty kind of ambidextrous so I just do things equally poorly with both hands. I shoot free throws about as well with either hand. I bowl with either hand. Only thing I can’t do right handed is swing a baseball bat. I didn’t even know I was a left handed hitter till I was told. I thought I was swinging right. Make me stand like righty’s stand to hit a baseball I would barely hit it off a tee. Left I’ll send it to the moon. Off a tee that is. I could never hit live pitching. Could play defense though. Got off track there….

tpols
02-22-2024, 11:47 AM

And he doesn’t have half the history of fighting and generally chippy incidents Ainge had.

Draymond wouldn’t be a top three asshole on those Celtics. Larry Bird was more physical and prone to act out and start shit than Draymond Green. Larry sucker punch the guy in a preseason game.

Throwing a ball at someone? Really?

He's out here getting guys in rear naked chokes and throwing spinning backfists to the face and only got suspended a couple games.

Didn't dray also punch his own teammate in the face during pre season last year too?

tpols
02-22-2024, 11:54 AM

Yo that ref was diesel. :lol Not only did he take Hakeem down he knocked the other giant guy over behind him.

Kblaze8855
02-22-2024, 12:53 PM
Throwing a ball at someone? Really?

He's out here getting guys in rear naked chokes and throwing spinning backfists to the face and only got suspended a couple games.

Didn't dray also punch his own teammate in the face during pre season last year too?

I mean with his current history included. If Draymond does that tonight it would be a total shit storm. This is one of those issues you’re just not going to understand. Danny Ainge might have been in more altercations than anybody I’ve ever watched. Not more than Rodman if you consider someone losing their temper and just shoving him a little. But knock down drag out everyone on the ground brawl? I can think of no less than five real fights he was in. And in one of them he almost bit off a guys finger. He had at least 3 straight MMA style takedowns I recall. All kinds of hard fouls we would call flagrant 2. He definitely has a more violent history than Green.

Green wouldn’t be top 3 violent if we only count 80 and 90s point guards. He has nothing on Isiah either. Or Alvin Robertson. Maybe not Calvin Murphy either. Definitely not mad max. Mad Max would have slapped Draymond in the face in public.

Its just the modern environment that makes him stand out.

Xiao Yao You
02-22-2024, 01:21 PM
I mean with his current history included. If Draymond does that tonight it would be a total shit storm. This is one of those issues you’re just not going to understand. Danny Ainge might have been in more altercations than anybody I’ve ever watched. Not more than Rodman if you consider someone losing their temper and just shoving him a little. But knock down drag out everyone on the ground brawl? I can think of no less than five real fights he was in. And in one of them he almost bit off a guys finger. He had at least 3 straight MMA style takedowns I recall. All kinds of hard fouls we would call flagrant 2. He definitely has a more violent history than Green.

Green wouldn’t be top 3 violent if we only count 80 and 90s point guards. He has nothing on Isiah either. Or Alvin Robertson. Maybe not Calvin Murphy either. Definitely not mad max. Mad Max would have slapped Draymond in the face in public.

Its just the modern environment that makes him stand out.

how much more violent would Green had been if the penalties weren't as severe though? Ainge would have been different if he was getting long suspensions and hurting his team

tpols
02-22-2024, 01:45 PM
how much more violent would Green had been if the penalties weren't as severe though? Ainge would have been different if he was getting long suspensions and hurting his team

Yup.

I've honestly never seen a player with quicker impulse movements than Dray. It reminds me of this documentary I watched that was explaining how a grown male chimp has the strength of 10 men and could tear a human limb from limb.

It's not because they have bigger muscles. Me or you easily outweigh them. It's because their nervous systems are geared in such a way to fire off all at once. So instead of smoothly activating a fine movement, they activate everything in a split second and that creates a tremendous amount of force.

Kblaze8855
02-22-2024, 03:49 PM
Well to answer that you have to try to decide how much of it is nature and how much of it is environment. Nature vs nourish nba edition. It’s a fair question but I can’t answer it. I also can’t say how many incidents Draymond has in a league with Shaq, Oakley, Laimbeer, Barkley, Malone, Mahorn, Anthony Mason, Hakeem and on and on it goes who won’t take that treatment. When the next step is fist to face not more talk? When it’s actually squaring up to fight not pretending you wanna fight? When it isn’t Nurkic saying you’re out of control in a press conference but Bill Laimbeer actually throwing a haymaker or Bird just sucker punching you because he told you what would happen next time you disrespect him?

A lot of that mouthy shit comes to an end. How many times you see him pulling that shit with Shaq? You imagine he’s stepping on Charles Oakleys chest?

Thats the hard part to factor in.

Yea he’d have more freedom to act out back then. He’d also have been punched in the face for it instead of a stern talking to.

I don’t know about you, but every time I’ve been punched in the face I learned more than I learned from my stern conversations. Hes protected by playing in a time everyone is friends and fines and suspension make fighting too costly.

Let them fight it out and land some real blows like they used to do. I bet he’s a little less prone to take it there.

These guys don’t even get even on the floor. Karl Malone would have “accidentally” put an elbow 2 inches into his skull getting a rebound and sent a message.

The players don’t police it anymore so it’s hard to know the true outlaws.

Kblaze8855
02-22-2024, 03:54 PM
https://youtu.be/_tWRe0UX6NI?si=3SIqTR5oIl0gQKGk

when dealing with somebody who will match or exceeded his antics suddenly he became the peacemaker.

They used to be 50 Isiah Stewart’s.

You see Draymond Green stomping on that guy chest or grabbing him all crazy and taking it where it would go? I don’t. He’s not doing that shit to Shaq. And we were talking about a league of people who didn’t back down to Shaq themselves.

tontoz
02-22-2024, 05:00 PM
Dray doesn't want that smoke. Stewart definitely looks like he has some Artest in him.

Kblaze8855
02-22-2024, 06:02 PM
Dray doesn't want that smoke. Stewart definitely looks like he has some Artest in him.

exactly. They just aren’t enough people around to show this new generation what crazy is. Crazy doesn’t turn off. He Knows who to **** with and who not to. He’s a bully by choice not a bully by nature. You can tell the wheels turn and he stops or doesn’t start in the first place with some people. A guy like Alvin Robertson or Mad Max doesn’t care who you are. You can be shaq. You can be Charles Oakley. Or you can be a fan in the stands. You better keep your mouth shut. Barkley wasn’t playing games. You **** with him he’s gonna hold his ground. That man walked up and slapped Charles Oakley. Fought Shaq. Threw real punches with Laimbeer. Ragdolled Ewing. Not talk tough then hide behind security.

There are people like that. They didn’t just get removed from society. But people don’t **** with them that way and there aren’t enough in the league for them to bump heads.

So you can pick your targets.

I don’t think Draymond is going to disrespect Jokic like that. I’m surprised Sabonis kid didn’t stand up for himself more. His dad wouldn’t have taken that shit. It isn’t even about if you would win a fight. Isiah Thomas wouldn’t win fights. But he would choke Kevin Willis. He will throw hands at Rick Mahorn or Barkley. It’s the principle. They aren’t going to be bullied. Draymond is in a league with a lot fewer players like that so he doesn’t get tested. He doesn’t get outta line with those guys. Thats why I don’t think he’s crazy. I think he’s a bully. A bully will stop when you show resistance. A crazy person is hoping you were going to show resistance so he can take it where he wanted it to go.

Isaiah Stewart will come for you. Draymond is a pest .There is a difference.

AlternativeAcc.
02-22-2024, 06:24 PM
Stern made a point to eradicate thug behavior

Realness isn't worth the fines and suspensions. The league is higher class than your day gramps. Deal with it

tpols
02-22-2024, 06:44 PM
A bully will stop when you show resistance. A crazy person is hoping you were going to show resistance so he can take it where he wanted it to go.

So that means crazy people are like super bullies.

1987_Lakers
02-22-2024, 10:55 PM

I mean, if he did this right after choking Rudy & sucker punching Nurkic he might have. Isaiah Stewart just punched another player, got arrested for it, but only got a 3 game suspension.

Besides the Tree Rollins incident, Ainge wasn't really a fighter, just annoyed opponents with antics. Ainge himself said he couldn't win a fight with anybody in the league, he almost got knocked out by another player. :oldlol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWf9CeVI_gc

BarberSchool
02-22-2024, 11:07 PM
Even the handful of outspoken players in the league aren’t the same.
“Today’s real” is still part phoney.

Chuck is the truth. Always will be.

Kblaze8855
02-22-2024, 11:09 PM
Winning the fights isn’t a prerequisite. I’m not sure I’ve seen Isaiah Thomas win a fight. But I’ve seen him choke two people and punch at least four. Draymond has work to do to catch a number of guys who don’t even have that rep. He’s never gonna hit as many people as Hakeem and nobody even considers Hakeem one of those Oakley/Laimbeer dirty fighting types.

Draymond has not hit as many players total as Larry Bird punched 76ers alone.

1987_Lakers
02-22-2024, 11:23 PM
Winning the fights isn’t a prerequisite. I’m not sure I’ve seen Isaiah Thomas win a fight. But I’ve seen him choke. Two people and punch at least four. Draymond has work to do to catch a number of guys who don’t even have that rep. He’s never gonna hit as many people as Hakeem and nobody even considers Hakeem one of those Oakley/Laimbeer dirty fighting types.

Draymond has not hit as many players total as Larry Bird punched 76ers alone.

That's the thing though, Ainge was never really throwing haymakers at people. Even in the vid above he just shoved the guy and immediately got punched.

1987_Lakers
02-22-2024, 11:31 PM

And it was Rollins who bit Ainge's finger.

“We got into a little scuffle out on the court by the foul line and he almost bit my finger off,” Ainge said. “He bit it all the way through. I had to get two stitches. Usually, you don’t put stitches on a human bite. But just to keep everything in there together, they had to put a couple of stitches in there,” Ainge

Xiao Yao You
02-23-2024, 12:39 AM
And it was Rollins who bit Ainge's finger.

“We got into a little scuffle out on the court by the foul line and he almost bit my finger off,” Ainge said. “He bit it all the way through. I had to get two stitches. Usually, you don’t put stitches on a human bite. But just to keep everything in there together, they had to put a couple of stitches in there,” Ainge

yep. That ones been called wrong pretty much since it happened