PDA

View Full Version : ESPN talks about the shit we have been saying for over 10 years

warriorfan
02-27-2024, 01:12 PM
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/39606079/from-embiid-70-luka-73-nba-offenses-become-too-good

Skimmed it. Didn’t really have anything new to say that hasn’t been covered here a million times

highwhey
02-27-2024, 01:22 PM
nearly a decade late :oldlol:

elementally morale
02-27-2024, 01:40 PM
Come on, guys.

All these things are well known by everyone n the NBA and sports media and have been for as long as it has been known here. They are making decisions and writing articles about it when the trends show that the majority of the broader fanbase (casuals included) if of the same opinion or on the brink of it. It's not something that just occurred to them yesterday and decided to do something about it today. The time is coming closer when there will be some change. Minor one at first to test the reaction and they will go from there. The NBA is about money. NBA people knew about offenses and defenses all the time but as long as it generated more money they had no real problems with the direction. It's more of the same now. A slightly different direction but the same incentive.

Im Still Ballin
02-27-2024, 01:51 PM
1) Bring back hand-checking.
2) Remove three seconds in the key.

If those don't work? Push the above-the-break three-point line back one to three feet.

Duffy Pratt
02-27-2024, 05:10 PM

If those don't work? Push the above-the-break three-point line back one to three feet.

Get rid of the zero step and call carries. Get rid of the protective circle for offensive fouls. Make it a no call if the offensive player initiates contact and the defender has not jumped, or has jumped vertically.

After that, no three point shots available until there is less than 10 seconds left on the shot clock. (No fast break threes.). And no offensive player can keep control of the ball for more than 5 seconds in half court. (Cut down on ISOs).

Full Court
02-27-2024, 05:26 PM
Get rid of the zero step and call carries. Get rid of the protective circle for offensive fouls. Make it a no call if the offensive player initiates contact and the defender has not jumped, or has jumped vertically.

After that, no three point shots available until there is less than 10 seconds left on the shot clock. (No fast break threes.). And no offensive player can keep control of the ball for more than 5 seconds in half court. (Cut down on ISOs).

These are all good ideas. It would make the game better.

elementally morale
02-27-2024, 05:32 PM

I would limit 3 point shot attempts to 24 a game until the last two minutes. You can decide when you take those 24 but that's the limit for the first 46 minutes.

Offensive goaltending is idiotic and every ball should be live after touching the rim. The defensive 3 second rule should also go.

Full Court
02-27-2024, 05:35 PM
I would limit 3 point shot attempts to 24 a game until the last two minutes. You can decide when you take those 24 but that's the limit for the first 46 minutes.

Offensive goaltending is idiotic and every ball should be live after touching the rim. The defensive 3 second rule should also go.

I don't like the idea of limiting the number of 3 point shots. I'm not a fan of 3-point spam fests, but to me that's not as bad as the idea of the NBA regulating how teams run their offense.

elementally morale
02-27-2024, 05:46 PM
I don't like the idea of limiting the number of 3 point shots. I'm not a fan of 3-point spam fests, but to me that's not as bad as the idea of the NBA regulating how teams run their offense.

There are limits to many things. How many seconds. How many fouls. Timeouts. Etc. At some point there was no 3 point line. It made sense for many years to have a 3 because teams were not generally good at shooting them. These days almost everyone shoots well enough to make 2 point baskets not that relevant. If it were just 2.5 points things would change. You can move back the line and have some effect. I think I'd limit the shots. Why? Because it's not really basketball any more. It's a different sport.

Xiao Yao You
02-27-2024, 05:48 PM
There are limits to many things. How many seconds. How many fouls. Timeouts. Etc. At some point there was no 3 point line. It made sense for many years to have a 3 because teams were not generally good at shooting them. These days almost everyone shoots well enough to make 2 point baskets not that relevant. If it were just 2.5 points things would change. You can move back the line and have some effect. I think I'd limit the shots. Why? Because it's not really basketball any more. It's a different sport.

You can't move back the corner 3. Eliminate it maybe

elementally morale
02-27-2024, 05:58 PM
You can't move back the corner 3. Eliminate it maybe

Draw a bigger circle and the line ends where it does. But limiting attempts would add a chess element to the game.

90sgoat
02-27-2024, 06:04 PM

This is it.

2) is all that's needed.

They just don't want to do it.

NBA players flame out in FIBA because they're not getting wide open 3s.

ArbitraryWater
02-27-2024, 06:24 PM

3s only in the last 10 secs is just as regulated and would be a cluster**** to check.

Both those are a hard no

FultzNationRISE
02-27-2024, 07:00 PM
The league has no incentive to stop it. There's no evidence I'm aware of that says this offensive explosion is leading to less fan engagement. If anything it's probably the opposite.

Of course they'll say theyre gonna look at it because people are talking about it and asking them about it. But I doubt they do anything meaningful to change it, because I'm sure they see no reason to.

Xiao Yao You
02-27-2024, 08:16 PM
The NBA's competition committee has officially begun reviewing whether the game has become too advantageous for offense and whether some changes need to be implemented to achieve better balance.

"It is a topic that we're monitoring," Joe Dumars told ESPN earlier this month. "We're diving in right now to make sure that we're on the right side of this."

When Adam Silver took over as commissioner, the league-wide offensive rating was below 105 points per 100 possessions and has since risen steadily to 115 points per 100 possessions this season.

Players are more talented and teams prioritize higher percentage shots than they did in the past.

"More high-percentage shots, which are shots at the rim and 3-point shots, are going to lead to more points," 76ers coach Nick Nurse said before a game in Philadelphia last month. "Most everybody's kind of got that as their theme of how they're playing."

The NBA isn't close to taking any action yet.

"It's not to that point yet," said Dumars, who regularly fields calls from teams. "We're diving [into the data] right now and just a ton of film and putting together a ton of reels to be able to look at this and go, 'OK, yeah, we do have a problem.' But you don't make changes like that just on an anecdotal call."

Kblaze8855
02-27-2024, 09:42 PM
Draw a bigger circle and the line ends where it does. But limiting attempts would add a chess element to the game.

https://www.hostpic.org/images/2402280711310292.jpeg

Baller234
02-27-2024, 09:57 PM
https://www.hostpic.org/images/2402280711310292.jpeg

I say if you're keeping the 3, you have to keep the corner 3.

I would actually be in favor of expanding the width of the court.

Xiao Yao You
02-27-2024, 10:12 PM
I say if you're keeping the 3, you have to keep the corner 3.

I would actually be in favor of expanding the width of the court.

they aren't making the court bigger

FKAri
02-27-2024, 10:44 PM
they aren't making the court bigger

What about obstacles and trap doors? Red light warning on the floor 2 seconds before it slides open.

highwhey
02-27-2024, 10:48 PM
What about obstacles and trap doors? Red light warning on the floor 2 seconds before it slides open.

:oldlol:

bdonovan
02-28-2024, 02:28 AM
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/39606079/from-embiid-70-luka-73-nba-offenses-become-too-good

Skimmed it. Didn’t really have anything new to say that hasn’t been covered here a million times

I covered this here:

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?515084-Avg-Pts-Game-has-Soared-from-100-to-115

The only difference is that 3 point shooting is up. Otherwise FG% is roughly the same. Even 3 Pt% is roughly the same. The only difference is that people are shooting 50% more 3 point shots. The math simply works in favor of 3 point shooting based on the percentages of 2 pt and 3 pt shots. People can go on about defense but unless they are talking about amping up perimeter defense, they might be missing what's actually animating the increased Pts/game.

90sgoat
02-28-2024, 10:21 AM
I covered this here:

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?515084-Avg-Pts-Game-has-Soared-from-100-to-115

The only difference is that 3 point shooting is up. Otherwise FG% is roughly the same. Even 3 Pt% is roughly the same. The only difference is that people are shooting 50% more 3 point shots. The math simply works in favor of 3 point shooting based on the percentages of 2 pt and 3 pt shots. People can go on about defense but unless they are talking about amping up perimeter defense, they might be missing what's actually animating the increased Pts/game.

Sorry bro, but your analysis, like most in the media, is superficial.

3 pointers are good shots often, but that's not why they're shot so much.

They're shot so much more because they're so much more open.

Why are they open?

Because the league has set up rules to make it easy to get into the paint, forcing the weakside to rotate, leaving someone open for 3.

Why is it easy to get into the paint?

1. Moving screens
2. Carry dribbles
3. Defensive 3 seconds

Essentially almost every decent ballhandler can walk into the paint. Because there's no center allowed to camp there, then what happens is that someone needs to come running from the wings to help defense. Then you just pass it out there, shoot or swing.

NBA players can't hit shots from in 3 in FIBA plays, because those shots are not open.

Street Hunger
03-12-2024, 07:56 PM
I've always thought that lots of ESPN radio hosts get their ideas from this board

BarberSchool
03-12-2024, 08:55 PM
1. No charges under an airborne player. Attempting one is flagrant one, attempting another within 25 games after first flagrant, results in ejection and suspension. Attempting a third charge under an airborne player in the same season results in season-ending suspension. Be hard on these dirty sickos.
- this would increase the number of poster dunks, and make paint points even more efficient. And naturally, decrease the number of 3’s jacked up SLIGHTLY.

2. Move restricted area out at least another 12-18”
- same effect, in making paint points more efficient, and slightly decreasing volume of 3’s jacked up,

BarberSchool
03-12-2024, 08:59 PM
trap doors? Red light warning on the floor 2 seconds before it slides open.I had a feeling the new court at all star weekend was a test run for something far greater ……

warriorfan
03-12-2024, 10:05 PM
1. No charges under an airborne player. Attempting one is flagrant one, attempting another within 25 games after first flagrant, results in ejection and suspension. Attempting a third charge under an airborne player in the same season results in season-ending suspension. Be hard on these dirty sickos.
- this would increase the number of poster dunks, and make paint points even more efficient. And naturally, decrease the number of 3’s jacked up SLIGHTLY.

2. Move restricted area out at least another 12-18”
- same effect, in making paint points more efficient, and slightly decreasing volume of 3’s jacked up,

I’m feeling this. Undercutting is the number one scumbag move of the game and also takes away from giving everyone the best moments.