PDA

View Full Version : How many of you have realized Wemby can surpass MJ/LeBron/whoever you have as GOAT?

RRR3
02-29-2024, 08:22 PM
I have never seen anyone like this guy. He is like a 2k created player came to life. Once that idiot Popovich stops sabotaging the Spurs completely people will begin to realize it more. He is a raw 20 year old and he’s probably already top 20ish in the NBA. People will bring up the Spurs horrible record but they are a godawful roster outside of Wemby and abysmally coached to the point everyone argues that Popovich is trying to lose every game on purpose. He’s already one of the best defenders in the league by any metric. And he’s a developing star on offense as well. He could easily be like a 35/12/5/2/4 guy at his peak. As a LeBron fan, I’d love to see Wemby surpass him. He’s such a likable guy and a really unique player archetype how can you not cheer for him?

FultzNationRISE
02-29-2024, 08:39 PM
It’s obviously possible, but to assume it at this point or suggest that what hes done so far puts him on track for it, is a tremendous underestimation of just how unthinkably high Lebron has set the GOAT bar.

Lets see Yama take this Spurs group to the finals in a couple years the way Bron did with an equivalent 07 Cavs team. Let him play 21 seasons and become the alltime scoring champ. Wait for him to unveil his wiener on national television and amaze a global audience with the glory of his 13 inch behemoth.

When he does all that, we can talk.

WhiteKyrie
02-29-2024, 08:47 PM
There have been players, all players have the opportunity to surpass the guy widely considered borderline unanimously to be the greatest of all time since 1998 that hasn’t been topped since. Potential doesn’t mean it’s a lock to happen. So yeah, everyone has that opportunity and chance, technically.

RRR3
02-29-2024, 08:47 PM
There have been players, all players have the opportunity to surpass the guy widely considered borderline unanimously to be the greatest of all time since 1998 that hasn’t been topped since. Potential doesn’t mean it’s a lot to happen. So yeah, everyone has that opportunity and chance, technically.
Petrified. Can't wait till you start hating on Wemby

Full Court
02-29-2024, 08:56 PM
Yes, Wemby has the potential to be the GOAT.

Personally, I hope he stays healthy and realizes his potential.

NBAGOAT
02-29-2024, 09:04 PM
There have been players, all players have the opportunity to surpass the guy widely considered borderline unanimously to be the greatest of all time since 1998 that hasn’t been topped since. Potential doesn’t mean it’s a lock to happen. So yeah, everyone has that opportunity and chance, technically.

Wemby has more potential than any of them most likely and has the work ethic/competitive fire to back it up supposedly. Has a strict diet(no zion situation) sleeps 12 hours a night(following lebron and Federers strat for longevity). Was getting rdy to be the no1 draft pick when he was like 13

warriorfan
02-29-2024, 09:23 PM

You are a weird guy

TheMan
02-29-2024, 09:37 PM

This is a strange response to a pretty simple and straightforward post...

Wemby has the gifts to be a GOAT tier player, we have to see how long he can hold up with such a huge frame injury wise, that would be my biggest concern.

AlternativeAcc.
02-29-2024, 09:45 PM
Advanced stats favor Chet. Gotta surpass him first, then we can talk about other, more lofty goals

ShawkFactory
02-29-2024, 09:54 PM
Advanced stats favor Chet. Gotta surpass him first, then we can talk about other, more lofty goals

Yea…

Wemby is definitely a more dominant player than Chet and I think the advanced numbers in this case have a lot to do with the team performance.

Chet is a plug and play guy and is performing at a high level doing the little things and being okay with not getting many shots in a particular night. I don’t know for a fact that Wemby would be the same because of the nature of the position he’s in. But he might have come in with more to prove and that could have been more toxic to team environment.

If you’re starting a team from scratch though it’s clearly Wemby.

SATAN
02-29-2024, 10:27 PM
I don't think he will tbh. Power to him if he does though.

ImKobe
02-29-2024, 10:40 PM
Yeah he's capable of putting up peak Hakeem numbers. Idk about GOAT because it's so hard to win 4-5, you need a great team and a lot of luck to consistently make deep Playoff runs.

RRR3
02-29-2024, 11:20 PM
Yeah he's capable of putting up peak Hakeem numbers. Idk about GOAT because it's so hard to win 4-5, you need a great team and a lot of luck to consistently make deep Playoff runs.
You don't have to win 4-5 to be GOAT, especially in today's league with so much parity. But he should win multiple titles assuming Spurs aren't incompetent boobs.

SATAN
02-29-2024, 11:48 PM
DESTROYING Chet right now :applause:

RRR3
02-29-2024, 11:52 PM
Completely shat on Chet in the clutch. Anyone who thinks he isn’t the best rookie is a retard

ImKobe
03-01-2024, 12:15 AM
Completely shat on Chet in the clutch. Anyone who thinks he isn’t the best rookie is a retard

but but the advanced stats say...

Im Still Ballin
03-01-2024, 12:20 AM
I'm a believer. I just hope he develops his body more like KG and AD and not KD. Garnett and Davis both were listed around 220 pounds as rookies and added 30+ pounds of size without impacting their mobility. The Big Ticket weighed in at 253 pounds in his MVP season; AD was already 253 pounds by late 2015.

255-260 is a good target for Wemby. Should take him 3-5 years of slow and steady strength and conditioning.

Xiao Yao You
03-01-2024, 12:21 AM

I remember when Ron Boone cast the one vote against Chris Paul for ROTY because Deron beat him head to head. :roll:

RRR3
03-01-2024, 12:21 AM
Anyone using box score stats that are heavily efficiency based for players in much different situations is disingenuous at best. Wemby has been practically sabotaged by his team this year and Chet is the 3rd guy on a title contender.

Xiao Yao You
03-01-2024, 12:22 AM
I'm a believer. I just hope he develops his body more like KG and AD and not KD. Garnett and Davis both were listed around 220 pounds as rookies and added 30+ pounds of size without impacting their mobility. The Big Ticket weighed in at 253 pounds in his MVP season; AD was already 253 pounds by late 2015.

255-260 is a good target for Wemby. Should take him 3-5 years of slow and steady strength and conditioning.

Davis certainly isn't the guy I'd be looking at if I wanted to stay healthy :lol

Xiao Yao You
03-01-2024, 12:23 AM
can't quit me!

RRR3
03-01-2024, 12:23 AM
Can't quit me! Poor little guy DESPERATELY spamming my threads while tears splatter down his face after Wemby the GOAT french player exposed his low bball IQ yet again :roll:

Xiao Yao You
03-01-2024, 12:24 AM
never can quit me!

ImKobe
03-01-2024, 12:24 AM
I remember when Ron Boone cast the one vote against Chris Paul for ROTY because Deron beat him head to head. :roll:

Wemby is beating him H2H and has been outplaying him the past 2-3 months. IDK what else is there to say.

Going into this game since Jan 1st:

Wemby: 23/10/4/1/4 59.3%TS 27.5 mpg
Chet: 16/8/3/1/3 63.1%TS 30.4 mpg

outplayed him 2 out of 3 times and the one time he didn't they both struggled shooting the ball

It's over bro

Xiao Yao You
03-01-2024, 12:25 AM
Wemby is beating him H2H and has been outplaying him the past 3 months. IDK what else is there to say.

Going into this game since Jan 1st:

Wemby: 23/10/4/1/4 59.3%TS 27.5 mpg
Chet: 16/8/3/1/3 63.1%TS 30.4 mpg

It's over bro

it's not a 2 month award. It's Rookie of the Year

RRR3
03-01-2024, 12:27 AM
"Dumb as a rock" Xiao at it again

:roll:

ImKobe
03-01-2024, 12:27 AM
it's not a 2 month award. It's Rookie of the Year

Outplayed H2H twice, better counting stats across the board despite playing less minutes, creeping up on efficiency and most advanced stats.. Wemby's been the favorite for ROY for over a month now on betting sites but go ahead and make your bread, put your money where your mouth is.

Proctor
03-01-2024, 12:28 AM
Can't quit me! Poor little guy DESPERATELY spamming my threads while tears splatter down his face after Wemby the GOAT french player exposed his low bball IQ yet again :roll:

RRR3
03-01-2024, 12:29 AM
Not getting to call Rudy the GOAT French player anymore has him LOSING it. Desperately going around trying to downplay Wemby :roll: "N-n-n-no it's illegal to be that good on defense and actually have offensive skill! :cry:"

Proctor
03-01-2024, 12:31 AM
Not getting to call Rudy the GOAT French player anymore has him LOSING it. Desperately going around trying to downplay Wemby :roll: "N-n-n-no it's illegal to be that good on defense and actually have offensive skill! :cry:"
Does Gobert actually come into any genuine conversation about the best French player?

It's Wemby and Tony Parker, and more distantly someone like Diaw. Wemby was already better than Gobert ever was a month into the season.

Xiao Yao You
03-01-2024, 12:33 AM
Outplayed H2H twice, better counting stats across the board despite playing less minutes, creeping up on efficiency and most advanced stats.. Wemby's been the favorite for ROY for over a month now on betting sites but go ahead and make your bread, put your money where your mouth is.

Ron Boone voted for Deron over Paul because of head to head. ROTY is on a per minute basis now? He'll probably win it. Hype goes a long ways. He certainly doesn't deserve it at this point.

Xiao Yao You
03-01-2024, 12:36 AM
Does Gobert actually come into any genuine conversation about the best French player?

It's Wemby and Tony Parker, and more distantly someone like Diaw. Wemby was already better than Gobert ever was a month into the season.

When Wemby carries a bad team he can enter the conversation. Tony Parker and Diaw and Greg Monroe and whomever else you're trolling with

RRR3
03-01-2024, 12:38 AM

Well Gobert is up there if you ignore the playoffs :lol

Xiao Yao You
03-01-2024, 12:39 AM
wish he could quit me. Pathetic:facepalm

Proctor
03-01-2024, 12:48 AM
When Wemby carries a bad team he can enter the conversation. Tony Parker and Diaw and Greg Monroe and whomever else you're trolling with
Rudy has never done that and on top of that has been a large portion to blame when his great teams have fell short. He has zero to show for himself. Parker is a champion. Diaw is a champion. Gobert is DPOY?

iamgine
03-01-2024, 01:20 AM
Well he could. But usually people his size will be very injury prone if they push themselves. Lets see him after his first serious injury.

ImKobe
03-01-2024, 03:32 AM
Ron Boone voted for Deron over Paul because of head to head. ROTY is on a per minute basis now? He'll probably win it. Hype goes a long ways. He certainly doesn't deserve it at this point.

Are you comparing Wemby to Deron here? Deron and CP3 weren't even close with their averages & advanced stats their rookie year, it was an easy win. Wemby is shitting on Chet and is a MASSIVE favorite to win the award. There's 0 discussion to be had.

Xiao Yao You
03-01-2024, 06:21 AM
Rudy has never done that and on top of that has been a large portion to blame when his great teams have fell short. He has zero to show for himself. Parker is a champion. Diaw is a champion. Gobert is DPOY?

from one of the worst teams to 6th best record in the league as soon as Gobert replaced Kanter and than the next 7 years that followed. What great teams? They all over achieved! Zero other than multiple DPOTY/all D/All NBA/all[star/playoff upsets. Parker was a champion on a great team. Diaw was a role player on a great team. Bobby Hansen is a champion too :roll:

Xiao Yao You
03-01-2024, 06:24 AM
Are you comparing Wemby to Deron here? Deron and CP3 weren't even close with their averages & advanced stats their rookie year, it was an easy win. Wemby is shitting on Chet and is a MASSIVE favorite to win the award. There's 0 discussion to be had.

they weren't close but that was the argument for years. Deron beat Paul head to head. Saying a guy is rookie of the YEAR based on a head to head matchup is ridiculous! Chet has better advanced number and has been doing it all year. Getting shit on? :facepalm

ImKobe
03-01-2024, 08:13 AM
they weren't close but that was the argument for years. Deron beat Paul head to head. Saying a guy is rookie of the YEAR based on a head to head matchup is ridiculous! Chet has better advanced number and has been doing it all year. Getting shit on? :facepalm

Better counting stats by a mile + better H2H. Chet is a distant 2nd.

Wardell Curry
03-01-2024, 08:58 AM
In case you haven't noticed, being labeled as the greatest ever requires a team around you. You can't just throw randoms together no matter how great the player is and expect titles. And people only label players as GOATs that win titles, and a lot.

So even if the talent is there where he can actually be the best player ever and actually is the best player ever, people aren't going to want to hear it unless he wins a lot of titles, typically in streaks.

In other words, a ton of what goes into labeling players as the "greatest ever" is completely outside of their direct control regardless of their natural talent and work ethic. Beyond that, there is still a lot of luck required. Shaq doesn't win without a 2000-2002 Kobe level player, Jordan doesn't win without a Pippen level player, and LeBron doesn't win without 2012 Wade level players throughout his career. Bird and Magic don't win without good teams around them.

When you are supremely individually great and your organization mostly but not completely fails you, your ceiling is Hakeem Olajuwon on the GOAT charts. If they completely fail you and you can't stay healthy, your ceiling is Tracy McGrady, although obviously Wembanyama is better than McGrady. Point being is that it could easily go that way, no winning and no health.

Not to mention, another all time great can come along during your time with an all time great supporting cast, and **** your shit up, like Curry and LeBron did to each other. If LeBron doesn't exist or doesn't go back to Cleveland and KD stays healthy, are we so sure Curry doesn't win 5 or 6 in a row? If Curry doesn't exist or doesn't get a stacked supporting cast, are we so sure that the 2015-2018 Cavs don't win 4 in a row? What about Magic and Bird?

Being the best isn't enough. You have to get very lucky.

StrongLurk
03-01-2024, 09:53 AM
Plenty of people have realized this OP. I said back in mid-January that I've seen enough to firmly state Wemby has real potential to be GOAT.

The biggest red flag will be can his body hold up to play 15 seasons of basketball?

Xiao Yao You
03-01-2024, 11:21 AM
Plenty of people have realized this OP. I said back in mid-January that I've seen enough to firmly state Wemby has real potential to be GOAT.

The biggest red flag will be can his body hold up to play 15 seasons of basketball?

5 years will be an accomplishment

Phoenix
03-01-2024, 12:08 PM

Funny thing is his per 36 is pretty damn close to peak Hakeem( taking into account era differences for stats). Pop restricting his minutes to under 30 is keeping this dude from like 26/12/3/4 as a rookie.

Full Court
03-01-2024, 12:38 PM

You should be an expert on retardation, given your lifelong experience with it.

:lebroncry:

tpols
03-01-2024, 12:41 PM
We will see if he can pass MJ or Kobe. He might but we're like 5% into the journey and will have to see how it all plays out.

RRR3
03-01-2024, 02:19 PM
Kobe :roll:

Wemby will be better than Kobe by in like 3 years minimum. Get ready Ttrolls

RogueBorg
03-01-2024, 02:29 PM
This is a strange response to a pretty simple and straightforward post...

Wemby has the gifts to be a GOAT tier player, we have to see how long he can hold up with such a huge frame injury wise, that would be my biggest concern.

Lebron had all the gifts to be the GOAT but was lacking upstairs. We have yet to see Wemby's mental makeup.

sdot_thadon
03-01-2024, 06:04 PM
Lebron had all the gifts to be the GOAT but was lacking upstairs. We have yet to see Wemby's mental makeup.

If only he wasn't already arguably the goat lol.

SATAN
03-01-2024, 07:00 PM
Lebron had all the gifts to be the GOAT but was lacking upstairs.

Says the casual...

HylianNightmare
03-01-2024, 08:39 PM
The minute he got drafted

Hey Yo
03-01-2024, 08:51 PM
You don't have to win 4-5 to be GOAT, especially in today's league with so much parity. But he should win multiple titles assuming Spurs aren't incompetent boobs.
dumb

Hey Yo
03-01-2024, 08:56 PM
MJ quit twice cause he was mentally spent

RRR3
03-01-2024, 09:02 PM
dumb
So how come you were arguing LeBron as GOAT before 2020? Dimwit.

Hey Yo
03-01-2024, 09:15 PM
I didn't, chico

90sgoat
03-01-2024, 10:20 PM
He won't ever be more than a borderline top 10 player, but that's also good enough.

He has the same problem as Lebron and Garnett, he simply isn't skilled enough.

Wemby is 20 years old, not 18.

When Duncan, Shaq, Kareem were 20 they were more skilled, more dominant.

I mean, someone like Yao Ming was someone people thought would be GOAT, but he just didn't have the skill, though he was very skilled and would be better today.

He will never be better than Magic, MJ, Bird, Kareem, Duncan, who were supremely skilled players. He might be like Hakeem or Garnett who both are just outside the top 10.

He might hit the top 10 if he spends the next 3 summers shooting nothing but hook shots, but is anyone telling him to do that?

RRR3
03-01-2024, 10:22 PM
duh-uh-uh-uhhh I'm a racist
:facepalm

90sgoat
03-01-2024, 11:13 PM
:facepalm

I'm team Wemby.

Wemby is European. Wemby is half white, this is his mother:

https://foxsanantonio.com/resources/media/f45871be-1b44-4d21-a8c0-c82cc4256b94-medium16x9_gettyimages1258030266612x612.jpg?168511 4333752

People like you and Stephen A are the actual racists. You want to erase half his heritage, you want him to renounce his whiter than white mother to fit into your stupid racial classification.

He just isn't better than than the last great american bigs.

Xiao Yao You
03-02-2024, 12:13 AM
He won't ever be more than a borderline top 10 player, but that's also good enough.

He has the same problem as Lebron and Garnett, he simply isn't skilled enough.

Wemby is 20 years old, not 18.

When Duncan, Shaq, Kareem were 20 they were more skilled, more dominant.

I mean, someone like Yao Ming was someone people thought would be GOAT, but he just didn't have the skill, though he was very skilled and would be better today.

He will never be better than Magic, MJ, Bird, Kareem, Duncan, who were supremely skilled players. He might be like Hakeem or Garnett who both are just outside the top 10.

He might hit the top 10 if he spends the next 3 summers shooting nothing but hook shots, but is anyone telling him to do that?

not sure you know what skilled is. Shaq wasn't that skilled. Big and athletic yes. Yao was highly skilled. Too big and slow though