PDA

View Full Version : Why are the Kyrie and Luka Doncic duo ain't working?

Lebron23
03-04-2024, 06:22 PM
They just lost to the Sixers, and are just 1 game ahead of the lakers

FultzNationRISE
03-04-2024, 06:52 PM
Louie it's not a perfect roster but I think some of it is just a bad luck. They lost to the Cleveland Cavalier on a last seconds buzzer beater by Max Strus. In their four point lose to the Sixers they shoot 8 less free throws than Philly, if that was reverse they might win. If those games go the other way they will be something like 10-2 in their last 12 so I will not write them off yet.

90sgoat
03-04-2024, 07:01 PM
Luka is lazy and selfish.

Kidd is dumb.

ShawkFactory
03-04-2024, 07:25 PM
Perfect usage of "ain't" :applause:

SATAN
03-04-2024, 07:42 PM
Luka is lazy and selfish.

Kidd is dumb.

And Kyrie has had a couple missed shots or bad plays in the final moments of recent games.

Real Men Wear Green
03-04-2024, 08:51 PM
The team as a whole doesn't defend hard enough. Offensively the pairing does work, everyone else doesn't have much output but those two are efficient even at high volume so it works. It's the defense.

Really the core of Dallas issues is wasted resources.

They let Brunson go for nothing and traded Porzingis for Spencer Dinwiddie (no longer on the team, was salary fodder for Irving trade) and Davis Bertrans (who?). The raw asset waste there has them at an overall talent disadvantage. Even if you call Irving for Brunson an equal replacement the loss of value of Porzingis is immense on paper. You look at what the Celtics get out of him and can only wonder how the things he can do somehow didn't help Dallas. He protects the rim and is a great shooter by the standards of his position while also an athletic finisher, just not that strong. But they decided he was worthless and traded him for possibly a fifth of his worth. Some very bad management has taken place.

That said they are still a likely playoff
team and aside from one team the West is better than the East. As a duo they aren't bad unless your standard is championship or bust.

SATAN
03-05-2024, 10:31 PM
Someone should JFK this stat padding clown...

SATAN
03-05-2024, 11:27 PM
Nice missed lay up on the fast break. God forbid you pass to the guy running up the floor with you, ****ing moron.

Real Men Wear Green
03-05-2024, 11:32 PM
Nice missed lay up on the fast break. God forbid you pass to the guy running up the floor with you, ****ing moron.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm under the impression that James Harden is one of your favorite players. If that is the case, why hate on one extremely ball dominant superstar that doesn't play any defense and love the other? Aside from Harden's free throw baiting they're very similar.

RRR3
03-05-2024, 11:32 PM
Someone should JFK this stat padding clown...
:biggums:

What the ****, chill out you psycho

SATAN
03-05-2024, 11:39 PM
Don't bother passing it. Just get your stats up. That'll do the trick. Yay, nearly 40 point triple double while almost being being the sole cause for the L. Good for you. :rolleyes:

RRR3
03-05-2024, 11:41 PM
Satan turning into smoke

SATAN
03-05-2024, 11:41 PM
At least prime Westbrook was entertaining.

SATAN
03-05-2024, 11:47 PM
And there's your triple dub. I hope you're proud of yourself. Bench this clown and get Exum back in.

beasted
03-05-2024, 11:57 PM
Who on the Mavericks is in realistic consideration for the defensive teams?

Answer: Nobody

Who on the Mavericks can teammates look to for leadership?

Answer: Nobody

Xiao Yao You
03-06-2024, 12:00 AM
And there's your triple dub. I hope you're proud of yourself. Bench this clown and get Exum back in.

Dante :roll:

SATAN
03-06-2024, 12:24 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm under the impression that James Harden is one of your favorite players. If that is the case, why hate on one extremely ball dominant superstar that doesn't play any defense and love the other? Aside from Harden's free throw baiting they're very similar.

Very talented but not one of my favorite players. I was accused of being Loney (a Harden stan) and ran with it for a while.

Prime Harden>>>Luka btw

90sgoat
03-06-2024, 12:59 AM
The team as a whole doesn't defend hard enough.

They let Brunson go for nothing and traded Porzingis for Spencer Dinwiddie (no longer on the team, was salary fodder for Irving trade) and Davis Bertrans (who?). The raw asset waste there has them at an overall talent disadvantage. Even if you call Irving for Brunson an equal replacement the loss of value of Porzingis is immense on paper. .

Trading away Dorian Finney-Smith was a huge mistake by "Nico" the shoe salesman who, like Cuban, is one of the most incompetent people ever to be in the NBA.

Dorian Finney-Smith was the heart on that team.

DFS was also one of Luka's best friends on the team. While DFS wasn't a great defender, he played hard and always hustled and most importantly, he made Luka hustle and play defense too.

It's pretty obvious that none of the new guys like Luka. There's none of the having fun like the old team used to do. Guys are getting shipped out, Zingis gone, Javale gone, Curry gone, Dinwiddie gone, Brunson gone, DFS gone, Reggie Bullock gone.

Everyone's gone, all that's left are journeymen like Gafford, PJ Washington, Kyrie, THJ.

The truth is that all the fingers are beginning to point at one person. One person that can't get along, can't get along with Zingis, can't get along with Brunson, can't get along with anyone. Someone that refuses to play defense, complains every call, is lazy and out of shape.

Luka has revealed himself as selfish player.

SATAN
03-06-2024, 01:04 AM
Brunson must be so glad to be out of this dude's shadow. :oldlol:

FultzNationRISE
03-06-2024, 01:07 AM
Trading away Dorian Finney-Smith was a huge mistake by "Nico" the shoe salesman who, like Cuban, is one of the most incompetent people ever to be in the NBA.

Dorian Finney-Smith was the heart on that team.

DFS was also one of Luka's best friends on the team. While DFS wasn't a great defender, he played hard and always hustled and most importantly, he made Luka hustle and play defense too.

It's pretty obvious that none of the new guys like Luka. There's none of the having fun like the old team used to do. Guys are getting shipped out, Zingis gone, Javale gone, Curry gone, Dinwiddie gone, Brunson gone, DFS gone, Reggie Bullock gone.

Everyone's gone, all that's left are journeymen like Gafford, PJ Washington, Kyrie, THJ.

The truth is that all the fingers are beginning to point at one person. One person that can't get along, can't get along with Zingis, can't get along with Brunson, can't get along with anyone. Someone that refuses to play defense, complains every call, is lazy and out of shape.

Luka has revealed himself as selfish player.

Dallas needs to draft Bronny so they can sign Bron, and let The Chosen One teach Luka how to be a champion. The way he did with AD and Ree and Love and Bosh, and even Wade if we're really being honest who was kind of a supporting player to The Diesel in 06 so I dont count that as a ring for him.

Don Solo needs his LeYoda.

(Not sure if I got that reference right, I'm not super well versed in The Star Wars.)

Mask the Embiid
03-06-2024, 01:15 AM
Luka has an extremely low basketball iq. He will never win. White harden

90sgoat
03-06-2024, 01:17 AM

It's not the IQ, he's just an egomaniac.

People just didn't see it because was 21 years old and smiling all the time. Well, now he's 25 and about to get his second coach fired and miss the playoffs for two straight seasons.

I'd say he has the worst from both Harden and Iverson, rapidly approaching Melo.

dankok8
03-06-2024, 12:50 PM
Duo is working. They just don't play defense and tend to fall apart when Luka sits on the bench.

They had a better and more balanced team 2 years ago during their WCF and they inexplicably decided to blow it up.

iamgine
03-06-2024, 01:19 PM
Duo is working very well. Their problem is their 3rd best player is Daniel Gafford.

And they don't even start him.

FKAri
03-06-2024, 06:26 PM
Duo is working. They just don't play defense and tend to fall apart when Luka sits on the bench.

They had a better and more balanced team 2 years ago during their WCF and they inexplicably decided to blow it up.

The offensive fit is working surprisingly well but when they're both on the court it's too much of a defensive hole. It's why they seem to be staggering minutes now. I don't know if it's even possible to make it work on that end with them two together.

ArbitraryWater
03-06-2024, 06:41 PM
What?

They can beat anyone lol

Real Men Wear Green
03-06-2024, 06:53 PM
What?

They can beat anyone lol In a single game, yes. In a series, no. They aren't getting past the second round and that will remain true until they find a way to be at least average defensively.

FultzNationRISE
03-06-2024, 06:58 PM
The offensive fit is working surprisingly well but when they're both on the court it's too much of a defensive hole. It's why they seem to be staggering minutes now. I don't know if it's even possible to make it work on that end with them two together.

Team wise it makes the most sense to bring Ree off the bench, but you know it will turn into massive drama if they ask him to do it.

tontoz
03-06-2024, 07:36 PM

Luka will never win..... except for that year when he got to the conference finals which Embiid has never done.

90sgoat
03-06-2024, 07:45 PM
Luka will never win..... except for that year when he got to the conference finals which Embiid has never done.

Brunson.

tontoz
03-06-2024, 07:49 PM
Brunson.

Brunson averaged 21 with 4 assists in the playoffs that year. He was good but Luka averaged 36/10/8 with better efficiency.

90sgoat
03-06-2024, 08:01 PM
Brunson averaged 21 with 4 assists in the playoffs that year. He was good but Luka averaged 36/10/8 with better efficiency.

Brunson is a leader, unlike Luka.

tontoz
03-06-2024, 08:05 PM
Brunson is a leader, unlike Luka.

The scoreboard doesn't care who the leader is.

The scoreboard says Luka has been the leading scorer in the playoffs the last two seasons he got there.

Axe
03-06-2024, 08:11 PM
It's probably time for luka to go on another team.

NBAGOAT
03-07-2024, 04:53 AM
not enough talent and defense around them. the duo plays really well but you cant compete with the celtics or nuggets or even wolves starting 5 or the big 3 of a team like clips/thunder. bucks have middleton/lopez as their 3rd and 4th guy mavs have lively and like pj washington

hold this L
03-07-2024, 10:18 AM
It's not the IQ, he's just an egomaniac.

People just didn't see it because was 21 years old and smiling all the time. Well, now he's 25 and about to get his second coach fired and miss the playoffs for two straight seasons.

I'd say he has the worst from both Harden and Iverson, rapidly approaching Melo.

Cmon man, that's too much. He already made a conference finals, but I agree he is a massive asshole that people don't like playing with.

hold this L
03-07-2024, 10:21 AM
The scoreboard doesn't care who the leader is.

The scoreboard says Luka has been the leading scorer in the playoffs the last two seasons he got there.

Yeah and that results say that one guy made the SF conference finals while the other during the playoffs was..

https://media3.giphy.com/media/v1.Y2lkPTc5MGI3NjExbTMxZzNhMXNjcG41cG04Y2podmVneWF xdDZkanExZmJtOThiNHN4cSZlcD12MV9pbnRlcm5hbF9naWZfY nlfaWQmY3Q9Zw/tS9P4facLonjTpeo7o/giphy.gif

No they don't. +2 with him on and -2 with him off. Jokic for example is +10 on and -10 off. That's what falling apart actually looks like.

ImKobe
03-07-2024, 10:39 AM
No they don't. +2 with him on and -2 with him off. Jokic for example is +10 on and -10 off. That's what falling apart actually looks like.

He has a +6.3 Net Rating and is the 3rd most impactful player in the league currently in terms of EPM (+7.5), ahead of Jokic (+6.6). Jokic is actually worse on defense according to EPM.

They're a +5.5 when Kyrie and Luka are both on the court, and -9.7 with both on the bench. The defense barely improves (~2 points per 100) while the offense falls apart when Luka's on the bench overall.

90sgoat
03-07-2024, 02:10 PM
I don't respect any player that refuses to play defense, because then you expect everyone else to pick up the slack and that's just feeling as if you're better than everyone else.

Even Lebron played defense. Magic tried, Bird hustled, Kobe tried until his knees were shot, MJ tried, Barkley rebounded and tried, Shaq tried.

There's no all time great who didn't try playing defense. Lots of top 30 guys who would have been top 10-ish if they played defense.

Xiao Yao You
03-07-2024, 03:19 PM
I don't respect any player that refuses to play defense, because then you expect everyone else to pick up the slack and that's just feeling as if you're better than everyone else.

Even Lebron played defense. Magic tried, Bird hustled, Kobe tried until his knees were shot, MJ tried, Barkley rebounded and tried, Shaq tried.

There's no all time great who didn't try playing defense. Lots of top 30 guys who would have been top 10-ish if they played defense.

Yep! I at least need effort at both ends of the floor if not results

FKAri
03-07-2024, 06:40 PM
Yep! I at least need effort at both ends of the floor if not results
Only due to human psychology. Guys will try harder on one end if they're getting the ball at the other end. They'll try harder if their shot is falling and/or the team is on a run. They'll try harder if the star looks like he's going hard too. etc..

Otherwise, I'd want to see an increase in effort only if its leading to better results. Not everyone's effort is a 1:1 with effectiveness. Nor is everyone's effort equally valuable. If I have a guy like Steph who's running off screens and fighting through defenders on one end, I don't want him to exert as much energy on D as Draymond.

Xiao Yao You
03-07-2024, 08:14 PM
Only due to human psychology. Guys will try harder on one end if they're getting the ball at the other end. They'll try harder if their shot is falling and/or the team is on a run. They'll try harder if the star looks like he's going hard too. etc..

Otherwise, I'd want to see an increase in effort only if its leading to better results. Not everyone's effort is a 1:1 with effectiveness. Nor is everyone's effort equally valuable. If I have a guy like Steph who's running off screens and fighting through defenders on one end, I don't want him to exert as much energy on D as Draymond.

that was the Jazz excuse for Mitchell not playing D while Gobert relentlessly set screens, rolled to the basket, pounded the offensive glass, blocked others off the boards, defended Mitchell's guy at the other end...

90sgoat
03-07-2024, 08:25 PM

I think everyone is able to tell the difference between "not good, but effort is there", "trying but not able", "doing the minimum but doing it" and "not giving a ****".

Luka is currently at "not giving a ****" and he needs to at least be at "doing the minimum" every single defensive possession. There can't be situations where he simple lets the opponent walk past him.

90sgoat
03-07-2024, 08:26 PM
that was the Jazz excuse for Mitchell not playing D while Gobert relentlessly set screens, rolled to the basket, pounded the offensive glass, blocked others off the boards, defended Mitchell's guy at the other end...

This is why I think Mavs should have done everything possible to get Gobert to match with Luka. Can't imagine a better fit.

FKAri
03-07-2024, 09:22 PM

Made sense tho. Rudy saving his energy for the offensive end isn't really netting me the same results as DMitch doing it. A balance needs to be found. That's where coaches come in. But like I said it's complicated by the human element, i.e. "why am I having to work harder than that guy". These thoughts are in their heads even if only subconsciously so.

Xiao Yao You
03-07-2024, 09:24 PM
Made sense tho. Rudy saving his energy for the offensive end isn't really netting me the same results as DMitch doing it. A balance needs to be found. That's where coaches come in. But like I said it's complicated by the human element, i.e. "why am I having to work harder than that guy". These thoughts are in their heads even if only subconsciously so.

Gobert could have saved himself at the offensive end and they would have been bad at both ends of the floor instead of just 1

WhiteKyrie
03-07-2024, 10:16 PM
He has a +6.3 Net Rating and is the 3rd most impactful player in the league currently in terms of EPM (+7.5), ahead of Jokic (+6.6). Jokic is actually worse on defense according to EPM.

They're a +5.5 when Kyrie and Luka are both on the court, and -9.7 with both on the bench. The defense barely improves (~2 points per 100) while the offense falls apart when Luka's on the bench overall.

Bingo

FultzNationRISE
03-07-2024, 10:30 PM
When the shots are falling and the team is rolling, obviously it's all good. But when the shots arent falling, Luka Ball can be really painful to watch. It's so stagnant and uninspiring.

That said, they just dont have many other options. They're one of the few teams left in the league who dont have an offensively skilled center. They dont really have a sixth man who creates offense either. It's just Irving and Doncic who play on the floor together and overlap each other's skills, with a bunch of average floor spacers and a center.

On the one hand you can see the team doesnt exactly enjoy playing Luka Ball, on the other hand theyre just less likely to win if they dont.

tpols
03-08-2024, 11:34 AM
All Luka and Kyrie have to do is make it to the playoffs. And then flip that playoff gear switch.

FultzNationRISE
03-08-2024, 11:46 AM
All Luka and Kyrie have to do is make it to the playoffs. And then flip that playoff gear switch.

Maybe. I like their chances more than the book odds, altho how far they can go is gonna depend a lot on when they meet Denver. It’s looking more and more like nobody is beating a healthy Nuggets in a series.

tpols
03-08-2024, 12:15 PM
Maybe. I like their chances more than the book odds, altho how far they can go is gonna depend a lot on when they meet Denver. It’s looking more and more like nobody is beating a healthy Nuggets in a series.

Key to beating Denver is making Aaron Gordon shoot. He's the weak link like Harrison Barnes on the 2016 Warriors.

SATAN
03-08-2024, 08:01 PM

Do you think honestly Luka has an extra gear? lol. Half of the games I see he tries his hardest (to get his numbers up) and looks half exhausted by the 4th.

90sgoat
03-08-2024, 09:07 PM
Do you think honestly Luka has an extra gear? lol. Half of the games I see he tries his hardest (to get his numbers up) and looks half exhausted by the 4th.

In the playoffs Luka will be able to seek out and exploit his opponent though like he did against Gobert, Zubac, Beverly etc.

Also pace slows down, which benefits him. More contact allowed, easier to play defense.

ImKobe
03-09-2024, 07:24 AM

Luka is 3rd in 4th quarter scoring (Fox and Giannis are ahead of him by .1 ppg) with 8 ppg on 52/40/75 splits or ~65%TS. I think he's doing fine.

SATAN
03-09-2024, 09:31 PM
There is no question Luka is the biggest shot jacking ball hog of all time. The guy has no shame whatsoever.

SATAN
03-09-2024, 09:39 PM
Shot after shot after shot :oldlol:

SATAN
03-09-2024, 09:39 PM
Another brick.

SATAN
03-09-2024, 09:57 PM
Nice air ball :oldlol:

ImKobe
03-10-2024, 07:26 AM
There is no question Luka is the biggest shot jacking ball hog of all time. The guy has no shame whatsoever.

6 straight 30+point triple-doubles, most in NBA history

also 5 straight games with 35+ points

and he's shooting lights out

He's averaging like 38/10/11 on above 50%FG/60%TS post-ASB in 9 games

You're FUMING

ShawkFactory
03-10-2024, 09:17 AM
Key to beating Denver is making Aaron Gordon shoot. He's the weak link like Harrison Barnes on the 2016 Warriors.

Aaron Gordon is a completely different, and far better player than Barnes was at the time.

He’s not a shooter and won’t be playing offensively like he is.

Axe
03-10-2024, 05:09 PM
6 straight 30+point triple-doubles, most in NBA history

also 5 straight games with 35+ points

and he's shooting lights out

He's averaging like 38/10/11 on above 50%FG/60%TS post-ASB in 9 games

You're FUMING
You can't just praise him for having those stats when at the same time, his team just had more than five losses since the all-star week lmao.

Real Men Wear Green
03-10-2024, 05:29 PM
You can't just praise him for having those stats when at the same time, his team just had more than five losses since the all-star week lmao. just about every player has positives and negatives. Posters tend to focus on one aspect or the other depending on how much they like the player. It's possible to make up for what Doncic lacks defensively but the Mavericks squandered resources so they struggle with it. The defense is the reason why they lose games, not Doncic's offense. It may not be as much fun for his teammates as less heliocentric systems but he's effective. Because they don't have elite man and help defenders to make up for it sometime in the first two rounds they will lose and we'll see the Clippers, Nuggets or whoever actively hunt him when the Mavs are on defense but it is still possible to build a champ team with him as the best player. His teammates just have to be professional enough to do their jobs at a high level while he plays terrible defense. But it is a challenge to find a group of guys that get that done on a championship level.

Manny98
03-10-2024, 05:32 PM
Nobody wants to see this duo in the first round

Real Men Wear Green
03-10-2024, 05:44 PM
Nobody wants to see this duo in the first round
Phoenix would have a problem. Clippers (if healthy) have the right personnel to defend Doncic and torch him on the other end. Denver should also win. Thunder and OKC are a little unknown but no one is scared of them because their defense is awful. Doncic can get his and still lose.

WhiteKyrie
03-10-2024, 10:41 PM
Phoenix would have a problem. Clippers (if healthy) have the right personnel to defend Doncic and torch him on the other end. Denver should also win. Thunder and OKC are a little unknown but no one is scared of them because their defense is awful. Doncic can get his and still lose.
Doncic has repeatedly torched Kawhi and PG13 … while healthy

SATAN
03-10-2024, 10:49 PM
You can't just praise him for having those stats when at the same time, his team just had more than five losses since the all-star week lmao.

He's a Kobe stan. He fully endorses shot jacking.

That game yesterday...Luka goes to the bench after trying to play 1 vs 5 for most of the quarter and what do you know? The team has no rhythm and Kyrie starts trying to get his numbers. Just looked like bad basketball. I don't care about his stats. **** him. Can't retire soon enough imo...

Real Men Wear Green
03-10-2024, 11:01 PM
Doncic has repeatedly torched Kawhi and PG13 … while healthy
Last time they played the Clippers won and Doncic was 9 of 25. Before that the Clippers won and Doncic was 12 of 27. Doncic did dominate the first meeting of the season (44 points on 17 of 21) but that's just one out of three meetings. The Clippers have the personnel to defend Doncic on paper and the results so far this season say that they can definitely beat Dallas.

WhiteKyrie
03-10-2024, 11:05 PM
Last time they played the Clippers won and Doncic was 9 of 25. Before that the Clippers won and Doncic was 12 of 27. Doncic did dominate the first meeting of the season (44 points on 17 of 21) but that's just one out of three meetings. The Clippers have the personnel to defend Doncic on paper and the results so far this season say that they can definitely beat Dallas.so the 17 for 21 for 44 doesn’t count? Of course those two guys are long and fairly good defenders so they would give problems. But you can’t discount it. That’s a monumental game.

Xiao Yao You
03-10-2024, 11:08 PM

That game yesterday...Luka goes to the bench after trying to play 1 vs 5 for most of the quarter and what do you know? The team has no rhythm and Kyrie starts trying to get his numbers. Just looked like bad basketball. I don't care about his stats. **** him. Can't retire soon enough imo...

again coming from The Bum stan :roll:

Real Men Wear Green
03-10-2024, 11:27 PM
so the 17 for 21 for 44 doesn’t count? Of course those two guys are long and fairly good defenders so they would give problems. But you can’t discount it. That’s a monumental game.
How was it discounted? You don't sound literate.

Axe
03-11-2024, 12:15 AM
just about every player has positives and negatives. Posters tend to focus on one aspect or the other depending on how much they like the player. It's possible to make up for what Doncic lacks defensively but the Mavericks squandered resources so they struggle with it. The defense is the reason why they lose games, not Doncic's offense. It may not be as much fun for his teammates as less heliocentric systems but he's effective. Because they don't have elite man and help defenders to make up for it sometime in the first two rounds they will lose and we'll see the Clippers, Nuggets or whoever actively hunt him when the Mavs are on defense but it is still possible to build a champ team with him as the best player. His teammates just have to be professional enough to do their jobs at a high level while he plays terrible defense. But it is a challenge to find a group of guys that get that done on a championship level.
I know luka is a big performer lol. And it's not entirely his fault that his team lost some defensive pieces that would have made them closer to becoming title contenders. It's more about that he praised luka for his stats and triple dubs when it's likely that he'd call lebron 'empty stats' if he's the one who's doing those instead rn.

Axe
03-11-2024, 12:21 AM

Well, whatever it is, it's apparent that the mavs aren't going to replicate the playoff success they had two years ago with this current setup. They need to get the others involved again first before that happens.

Manny98
03-11-2024, 04:22 AM

This is a team that's built for the playoffs, I don't think they can beat Denver or the Lakers but they'll make some noise

ImKobe
03-11-2024, 06:40 AM

Yes I can. He's had a positive +/- in 6 out of the 9 games. Ain't his fault the team falls apart w/o him. You can't really do any better than 37.4/10/11.1 on 64.8%TS, which is what he's averaged in this 9-game stretch.

They lost by 2 to the Cavs, he was a +13.. took a miracle half-court shot for them to lose that game too

They lost by 4 to Philly, he was a +9, obviously they had some "garbage time" buckets to cut it close at the end but at the same time his teammates were not getting any stops when it mattered

It would be one thing if he played like trash and was losing them games on D, but he's producing way more than what he gives up on the other end. It's a team & a coaching problem and not a Luka one.

Real Men Wear Green
03-11-2024, 06:58 AM
This is a team that's built for the playoffs, I don't think they can beat Denver or the Lakers but they'll make some noise
Their defense stinks and they completely revolve around one player. How are they built for the playoffs?

Xiao Yao You
03-11-2024, 08:00 AM

If they can't beat a play-in team how are they built for the playoffs? :lol

Axe
03-11-2024, 05:33 PM
Yes I can. He's had a positive +/- in 6 out of the 9 games. Ain't his fault the team falls apart w/o him. You can't really do any better than 37.4/10/11.1 on 64.8%TS, which is what he's averaged in this 9-game stretch.

They lost by 2 to the Cavs, he was a +13.. took a miracle half-court shot for them to lose that game too

They lost by 4 to Philly, he was a +9, obviously they had some "garbage time" buckets to cut it close at the end but at the same time his teammates were not getting any stops when it mattered

It would be one thing if he played like trash and was losing them games on D, but he's producing way more than what he gives up on the other end. It's a team & a coaching problem and not a Luka one.
You may have a valid point but i see the double-standard here in how you composed that kind of favoring narrative for someone who you like. Yet dismiss somebody else even if they did something equally great if you don't like them at all.

SATAN
03-11-2024, 06:32 PM
Yes I can. He's had a positive +/- in 6 out of the 9 games. Ain't his fault the team falls apart w/o him.

Yes it is.

ImKobe
03-12-2024, 01:14 AM
You may have a valid point but i see the double-standard here in how you composed that kind of favoring narrative for someone who you like. Yet dismiss somebody else even if they did something equally great if you don't like them at all.

And who are you referring to here? If you're talking about Bran then context matters. No one here is comparing Luka to Kobe or Bran, y'all are saying he's hurting his team when in reality he's doing everything to elevate a mediocre supporting cast. Now, if he got to the Finals and lost averaging a 30-point triple-double and y'all tried to compare it to someone who actually won a ring, I'd be arguing against him.

Context. Context. Context.

tpols
03-17-2024, 05:32 PM
Man these dudes are Big Trash together! :facepalm

They should've got rid of one or both of them.

tpols
03-17-2024, 05:46 PM

Man they can't hang with Denver at all.

kentatm
03-18-2024, 03:41 PM
Kyrie and Luka work great together... when they are healthy. Health and Kidd's terribad rotations have been the two biggest issues for them.

The way I see it, if Luka, Kyrie, Gafford, and Lively are healthy the Mavs will be an incredibly dangerous team in the playoffs. Both Luka and Kyrie need to be firing on all cylinders and Lively/Gafford would have to be able to combine for 35+ min a night. Even then, to overcome Kidd's stubbornness w/his rotations two out of Kleber, Hardaway, and Washington must get back to shooting their career averages each night. If that happens this team could be poised for a legit run. Any issues w/health or K/H/W all remaining in slumps and I doubt Kidd will be able to adjust enough to overcome.

NBAGOAT
03-18-2024, 04:24 PM
excited to see who nico can get for kleber/hardaway who make 30mil combined. I didnt like him giving up a 1st for pj but his defense has been great and they still have 2 1sts to trade in offseason. should be looking for a starting sf imo. Jerami grant seems like an obvious choice. Could go for someone like cam johnson too

tpols
03-22-2024, 05:07 PM
Ramadan Kyrie is something else.

https://i.postimg.cc/ry1PmX8T/Screenshot-20240322-170234-You-Tube.jpg

Last time I remember this happening was this shout out RMWG.

https://youtu.be/zJg3-hQpUUI?si=GMFnNiQtQv5hoxkA

Real Men Wear Green
03-22-2024, 05:18 PM
You can shout that but seem pretty quiet about the rest of the series. Shout out the whole sweep.

tpols
03-22-2024, 05:24 PM
Yea I mean Durant blew it...

Yall got borderline swept the previous year when the Nets had Harden.

Real Men Wear Green
03-22-2024, 05:32 PM
Yea I mean Durant blew it...

Yall got borderline swept the previous year when the Nets had Harden.
Irving was on the team as well and he had bad games as well. Acting like he had nothing to do with it is stupid, he's lost something like ten straight games vs. Boston. Never should have stomped on Lucky. The end.

tpols
03-22-2024, 05:36 PM
Who the **** is Lucky?

:roll:

That sounds like a grudge you holding.

Real Men Wear Green
03-22-2024, 05:43 PM
Who the **** is Lucky?

:roll:

That sounds like a grudge you holding.
I am referring to his stupid antics stepping on the logo at center Court and burning sage. I have never denied the grudge, Celtic fans generally don't like Irving. But you consistently ignore the games Irving had played badly. We've already been through this, in spite of game 1 he ended up averaging 21 points and shooting under 43%. He struggled.