PDA

View Full Version : Where are all the Doc Rivers haters now?

pandiani17
03-16-2024, 08:37 AM
First of all, I am not a Doc Rivers fan, I think he was a bit overrated in the 2010s because of his Celtics ring. However, I didn't like how the media, former players (like Reddick), etc. were trashing him a month ago, saying things like the not-that-good Clippers of the 2010s failures were Doc's fault, instead of admitting their own shortcomings. Where are all those people now? I would like to see the Bucks make the finals, just to shut up all those jerks who ripped Doc.

Kblaze8855
03-16-2024, 09:14 AM
The things Doc Rivers haters use as the primary ammunition don’t happen in the regular season. There’s pretty much nothing he could do in the regular season to change anybody’s opinion of him. Hell he already has a title, so I’m not sure what another one would even do. You could say it proves the first one isn’t a fluke(the fluke argument being generally ridiculous anyway), but his critics are just going to point out all the blown series leads and all.

Perception about him is pretty much settled unless something outrageous happens

pandiani17
03-16-2024, 09:45 AM
Well, IIRC people were mocking him in February because of his RS record with the Bucks (after playing lots of tough teams.) Now that he has turned the situtation around they should give him some props for it, I suppose.

tontoz
03-16-2024, 10:09 AM
Not sure about the "turnaround". They just beat the Sixers without Embiid and the Clippers without Kawhi and PG13, and got blown out by the Kings. They've lost 3 of their last 5 games.

Blowing another 3-2 lead in the playoffs last season wasn't a good look. The only way to change the narrative is success in the playoffs.

beasted
03-16-2024, 11:51 AM
Not sure about the "turnaround". They just beat the Sixers without Embiid and the Clippers without Kawhi and PG13, and got blown out by the Kings. They've lost 3 of their last 5 games.

Blowing another 3-2 lead in the playoffs last season wasn't a good look. The only way to change the narrative is success in the playoffs.

This.

Even ask the resident homer Jasper whether he thinks Doc has overhauled anything about this team and it will be difficult for even him to reach and find anything noteworthy.

He's been extremely "adequate" just like Griffin.

SouBeachTalents
03-16-2024, 12:19 PM
Well, IIRC people were mocking him in February because of his RS record with the Bucks (after playing lots of tough teams.) Now that he has turned the situtation around they should give him some props for it, I suppose.
Did you legitimately expect fans to be on here giving the coach of a title contender props for doing well for a few weeks during the regular season? That’s so out of touch with sports reality it’s honestly insane. This is a league where coaches get fired within 2 years of winning championships.

FultzNationRISE
03-16-2024, 12:35 PM
This is a very weirdly timed thread.

Real Men Wear Green
03-16-2024, 01:24 PM
This.

Even ask the resident homer Jasper whether he thinks Doc has overhauled anything about this team and it will be difficult for even him to reach and find anything noteworthy.

He's been extremely "adequate" just like Griffin. To defend him a little bit he's not in a good position to change the team's plays and approach in the middle of the season. That's why when a coach is fired in the season he's normally replaced by an interim guy that was part of his staff. Rivers can call different plays and give a different leadership style but those plays are largely coming out of the same playbook.

beasted
03-16-2024, 05:28 PM
To defend him a little bit he's not in a good position to change the team's plays and approach in the middle of the season. That's why when a coach is fired in the season he's normally replaced by an interim guy that was part of his staff. Rivers can call different plays and give a different leadership style but those plays are largely coming out of the same playbook.

Can't say I totally agree. He had the all-star break to try to implement a few things. The team has largely performed no better, slightly worse record-wise. Beverly helped with defensive energy some, but that's about it.

Real Men Wear Green
03-16-2024, 06:04 PM
Can't say I totally agree. He had the all-star break to try to implement a few things. The team has largely performed no better, slightly worse record-wise. Beverly helped with defensive energy some, but that's about it.
He was the allstar coach in the the allstar break. And beyond that it's a break, the players are on vacation.

Now I'm not going to defend the lack of improvement and/or decline in wins and losses. I'm not sure he is to blame but he took the job so it's up to him to make it work.

beasted
03-16-2024, 06:58 PM
He was the allstar coach in the the allstar break. And beyond that it's a break, the players are on vacation.

Now I'm not going to defend the lack of improvement and/or decline in wins and losses. I'm not sure he is to blame but he took the job so it's up to him to make it work.

Sounds like you're agreeing that he hasn't done much at all, which was my point to start with.

Real Men Wear Green
03-16-2024, 07:16 PM
To fulfill our silly need to judge things that haven't happened yet I will predict he needs the Bucks to do no worse than Game 6 vs Boston to avoid criticism from people like us that really don't judge a coach based on anything more than wins and losses.

Real Men Wear Green
03-16-2024, 07:20 PM
Sounds like you're agreeing that he hasn't done much at all, which was my point to start with. of course he hadn't done much. He's been there a month. But unlike you I'm also pointing out there isn't much he could have done. He can tweak the defense but changing everything they do without training camp is hard. The huge changes of the team happened before he got there. Shouldn't have fired Budenholzer and then needed better offensive schemes of they're going to take advantage of shifting from holiday to Lillard as well as a scheme that hides Lillaird on defense.

ImKobe
03-16-2024, 07:45 PM
Their defense has improved a lot since he took over. As far as criticism goes though, he'll need to prove it in the POs.

beasted
03-16-2024, 08:46 PM
Their defense has improved a lot since he took over. As far as criticism goes though, he'll need to prove it in the POs.
Offense is also a lot worse though.

of course he hadn't done much. He's been there a month. But unlike you I'm also pointing out there isn't much he could have done. He can tweak the defense but changing everything they do without training camp is hard. The huge changes of the team happened before he got there. Shouldn't have fired Budenholzer and then needed better offensive schemes of they're going to take advantage of shifting from holiday to Lillard as well as a scheme that hides Lillaird on defense.

Again, I can't say that I totally agree. We've seen many coaches get fired and the team went on a run/ significantly improved. Just in recent years Nets after Nash, Hawks after Pierce, Wolves after Saunders, notoriously the Cavs after Blatt.

Were any of those teams already a top 5 record? Maybe not. My original point is that Doc hasn't done anything even knowing we will only judge him by the playoffs. Just by regular season standards there's not much here. But we already know Doc's reputation as it goes with adjustments anyway.

Not sure what there is to debate about here.

Real Men Wear Green
03-16-2024, 09:27 PM
Offense is also a lot worse though.

Again, I can't say that I totally agree. We've seen many coaches get fired and the team went on a run/ significantly improved. Just in recent years Nets after Nash, Hawks after Pierce, Wolves after Saunders, notoriously the Cavs after Blatt.I certainly didn't say you agree. What did the Nets accomplish with or without Nash? What did Minnie accomplish after firing Saunders? Cleveland got fortunate with the Draymond Green suspension and then James played one of the greatest series of all time.

Were any of those teams already a top 5 record? Maybe not. My original point is that Doc hasn't done anything even knowing we will only judge him by the playoffs. Just by regular season standards there's not much here. But we already know Doc's reputation as it goes with adjustments anyway. And all I said was that there hadn't been enough time for him to do anything.

Jasper
03-17-2024, 10:06 AM
hate debating with people that see maybe one game out of 5 etc.. .

Since Doc has arrived their defense has changed for the better. (hard to say its championship material)
Beasley picked up big time , and has dropped off on offense to play tougher 'D'
Same goes for Dame. (no joke I saw him against the lakers come from the top of the key and ran after a base line jumper)
I went 'WHAT'
Middleton will play today... everyone states his demeaner brings good things for the Bucks.
(people do not realize he was the glue that made their whole defense)
The question will be , is he fast enough to defend... (If not I would like him traded for a couple youth players that like to defend the SF position)
Offensively : Doc has simplified their offense.
Of course rotation of ball , but Dame/ Giannis pick and roll is Doc's bread and butter , and when they feel VERY comfortable in that roll
I see a better offense as well.
Scared of one thing : AGE

Lopez perfect example : beginning of game , he can shoot the three efficiently.
Later in the game with his age , I'll say it is less of a rhythmic shot , and he misses.
Window for the Bucks is this year as well as 2025/26.

BarberSchool
03-17-2024, 01:02 PM
Sheed is never one to bite his toungue.

We’ll hear more from Sheed on Doc, regardless of how the Bucks fare.

XxNeXuSxX
03-20-2024, 07:07 AM
Sheed is never one to bite his toungue.

We’ll hear more from Sheed on Doc, regardless of how the Bucks fare.

Listen I have been on this form since 2006 calling for Doc Rivers firing.

I am the OG the original.

I called for his firing the day after the Celtics won the championship game six I called for his firing in 2009 I called for a firing in 2007 I called first firing in the 2005 playoffs.

So let me be clear doc has taken the most talented Eastern Conference team and has managed to almost catch up to the record of a rookie coach, that's funny because I remember every other firing that was mid-season usually had the opposite effect why don't we do take a look at the New Jersey Nets when they fired Scott and hired Lawrence Frank.
Take a look when the Pacers fired Isaiah Thomas and hired for Carlisle not the first time firings are supposed to have a purpose.

Can't wait till doc takes credit for his players and then close them under the bus the moment that he blows another 3-1 lead