PDA

View Full Version : So what do the Lakers do with regards to the play-in / playoff picture?

Shaquille O'Neal
04-14-2024, 07:12 PM
So for the play-in they have the Pelicans @ New Orleans. Winner gets the #7 seed, and the opportunity to face Denver in Round 1 @ DEN.

If LAL loses that game, they'd have to play the winner of Kings/GS; the Kings I believe are 4-0 vs LAL and GS 3-1. If they'd win game #2 and get the 8th spot, they'd face the OKC Thunder.

My prediction: Anthony Davis does not play the first game, LAL loses "on purpose" to duck the Nuggets, then the Lakers face the GSW @ home (Davis returns) and get typical favorable call treatment to shore up the #8 playoff spot.
Lakers win round one 4-2 and advance to the Western conference semi-finals vs. the Clippers.

That's what I think is going to happen.

RRR3
04-14-2024, 07:15 PM
I don’t know but you’ll certainly sob about it regardless.

Real Men Wear Green
04-14-2024, 07:17 PM
You can't risk losing the second play in game and missing the playoffs entirely. They have to beat the Pelicans if they can.

FultzNationRISE
04-14-2024, 07:25 PM
So for the play-in they have the Pelicans @ New Orleans. Winner gets the #7 seed, and the opportunity to face Denver in Round 1 @ DEN.

If LAL loses that game, they'd have to play the winner of Kings/GS; the Kings I believe are 4-0 vs LAL and GS 3-1. If they'd win game #2 and get the 8th spot, they'd face the OKC Thunder.

My prediction: Anthony Davis does not play the first game, LAL loses "on purpose" to duck the Nuggets, then the Lakers face the GSW @ home (Davis returns) and get typical favorable call treatment to shore up the #8 playoff spot.
Lakers win round one 4-2 and advance to the Western conference semi-finals vs. the Clippers.

Absolutely terrible idea.

As you stated they have a losing record vs both lower play in teams. Leaving it up to one game when you have a chance to secure a berth earlier is AWFUL strategy.

Moreover, they likely have to go thru Denver at some point regardless. Id argue it’s better to play them now while the Lakers have max health (assuming AD’s injury is not serious) after a rest on wed/thur/fri/sat, rather than after playing two other grueling series first and possibly a short turnaround between series.

Anyone in Lakers leadership who even floats the idea of doing what you suggest should be fired.

ImKobe
04-14-2024, 08:07 PM
Playing Denver when both are fresh is better than playing them deep into the POs. They have a better chance beating them in the 1st round IMO.

1987_Lakers
04-14-2024, 08:16 PM
I never understood the logic of someone like OP's. Why try to duck a team when you are likely to meet them later on in the playoffs regardless? I know upsets happen, but Nuggets are not losing in the 1st round if the Lakers avoid them.

And you are really gonna lose a play in game on purpose when your playoff chances are at stake? That shit is moronic

Shaquille O'Neal
04-14-2024, 08:32 PM
I never understood the logic of someone like OP's. Why try to duck a team when you are likely to meet them later on in the playoffs regardless? I know upsets happen, but Nuggets are not losing in the 1st round if the Lakers avoid them.

And you are really gonna lose a play in game on purpose when your playoff chances are at stake? That shit is moronic

The logic of OP? When did I suggest that should be their strategy? Lebron historically looks for excuses when he loses. No AD vs the Pels Tuesday = built-in excuse. Just like the "hand" in 2018, Delonte in 2010, "I might retire" from last year, etc.
Of course that would never be "the plan". But if Davis needs rest until Thursday while his VA-Ginah heals, and the Lakers KNOW they'll get favorable calls at home in the 2nd game (and get to avoid Denver) I'm telling you it's not an impossible stretch.

You're not talking to a 19 year old kid on here. The league is predictable - remember in 2013 the last 2-3 weeks all the calls the Lakers got to squeeze them into the playoffs? I sure as hell do. I sure as hell remember David Stern when asked about who he'd like to see in the playoffs..."Lakers vs. the Lakers".

No, if things are legitimate no one would ever suggest playing with fire. That's not reality; their freethrow discrepancy vs. the rest of the league the last 2 years, the propping up Lebron in the media / Klutch sports, the play-in tournament schedule rigging, etc. all points to this - don't be surprised if that's what happens. There's also plenty of debate of Lebron vs. Steph as they both have 4 chips - another opportunity for Lebron to knock Steph out of the playoffs adds more fuel to the fire.

Shaquille O'Neal
04-14-2024, 08:34 PM
Playing Denver when both are fresh is better than playing them deep into the POs. They have a better chance beating them in the 1st round IMO.

If I'm coaching the Lakers of course, you always go for it when you have the opportunity.

kawhileonard2
04-14-2024, 08:35 PM

This. Although them playing OKC is much better for them

Wardell Curry
04-14-2024, 08:37 PM
Is eliteballer specifically reserved for steroids meltdowns now? And when you want to be at least somewhat serious you switch to Shaq?

1987_Lakers
04-14-2024, 08:44 PM
The logic of OP?

Yes. You are a shit poster.

Nobody is losing a play in game on purpose, it's too dangerous.

Go away.

Shaquille O'Neal
04-14-2024, 09:03 PM
Yes. You are a shit poster.

Nobody is losing a play in game on purpose, it's too dangerous.

Go away.

I think you have reading comprehension problems. Me saying what I think will happen does NOT = what I think they SHOULD do. Sorry I had to break it down to that simplistic level for you.

Axe
04-14-2024, 09:06 PM
I think you have reading comprehension skills.
Yes he does, unlike you.

Shaquille O'Neal
04-14-2024, 09:07 PM
This. Although them playing OKC is much better for them

Of course. OKC might even get swept by the Lakers.

If you use critical thinking and look at the big picture:

Lebron was the primary reason they got swept in 2023. He played piss poor down the stretch, and every game was "winnable". For that to happen again (4-0, 4-1 or even 4-2) would look very bad.

If the Lakers lose vs NOP and beat GS/SAC and then have a 5-6 game series, you get at a minimum 10-12 more Lakers games to bring in viewership to a TANKING league ratings-wise.

The Lakers will not beat Denver in the first round, so there's that.

Now for the mentally challenged among us (1987_Lakers) I'm not saying that's what I'd DO, I'm just saying it will likely happen.

Shaquille O'Neal
04-14-2024, 09:08 PM
Yes he does, unlike you.

Much appreciated sir. Is he/she always this dense on here? I normally have he/her on ignore as it's mostly pro-Lebron EPSN simplistic spoon fed garbage being posted.

1987_Lakers
04-14-2024, 09:11 PM

Thank you.

tpols
04-14-2024, 09:11 PM
Lakers would definitely like 1000 fold rather play a young green OKC team over the Nuggets.

I could definitely see them doing OPs strategy. Not only would it allow then to duck Denver in the 1st but it would guarantee they duck them in the 2nd round as well. That's an obvious path they'd rather take.

The Warriors and Kings have no size to guard AD and Lebron when it really counts... and you know they'll get marched to the line with a crazy FTA disparity.

MrFonzworth
04-14-2024, 09:13 PM

Yikes:roll:

1987_Lakers
04-14-2024, 09:18 PM
The Warriors and Kings have no size to guard AD and Lebron when it really counts... and you know they'll get marched to the line with a crazy FTA disparity.

It's all fun in games until LeBron or AD unexpectedly get injured against the Warriors or Kings and it's game over. It's winner take all game, anything can happen, have you seen how good the Warriors have played recently? Plus LeBron is ancient, he needs all the rest he can get. No team in their right mind is losing a play-in game on purpose and the fact that some people think the Lakers will do that just shows how out of touch you guys are.

Axe
04-14-2024, 09:20 PM
Lakers would definitely like 1000 fold rather play a young green OKC team over the Nuggets.

I could definitely see them doing OPs strategy. Not only would it allow then to duck Denver in the 1st but it would guarantee they duck them in the 2nd round as well. That's an obvious path they'd rather take.

They did sweep okc in their rs series, despite the latter having a very successful season. However, the winner of that potential matchup could also depend on which big between ad and chetty plays better. If sga can come up on big games, then that would obviously help his team too.

tpols
04-14-2024, 09:26 PM
It's all fun in games until LeBron or AD unexpectedly get injured against the Warriors or Kings and it's game over. It's winner take all game, anything can happen, have you seen how good the Warriors have played recently? Plus LeBron is ancient, he needs all the rest he can get. No team in their right mind is losing a play-in game on purpose and the fact that some people think the Lakers will do that just shows how out of touch you guys are.

Yea well if the Lakers get hurt at any point they're toast. So that's not really a valid point. But the fact remains OKC is a million times easier than Denver AND it would allow them to duck Denver in round 2 as well. It's a no brainer to aim for that.

The 8 seed is actually the best seed to have right now after the 6 seed.

Shaquille O'Neal
04-14-2024, 09:27 PM

Careful, the autists among us may tell you to go away.

1987_Lakers
04-14-2024, 09:29 PM
Careful, the autists among us may tell you to go away.

You're in your feelings? LOL

Shaquille O'Neal
04-14-2024, 09:30 PM
Yea well if the Lakers get hurt at any point they're toast. So that's not really a valid point. But the fact remains OKC is a million times easier than Denver AND it would allow them to duck Denver in round 2 as well. It's a no brainer to aim for that.

Exactly my point as well - LA only goes as far as AD takes them. I wasn't suggested they SHOULD try to lose game #1; merely it's possible they may not have AD based on the 6 min mark of the game I watched today. AD did miss a couple days due to getting smacked in the eye. I could see AD not playing and the game getting out of reach, and LA not being "too worried" about it.

Shaquille O'Neal
04-14-2024, 09:32 PM
You're in your feelings? LOL

In my feelings over an Internet rando? Nah.

8Ball
04-14-2024, 11:35 PM
Exactly my point as well - LA only goes as far as AD takes them. I wasn't suggested they SHOULD try to lose game #1; merely it's possible they may not have AD based on the 6 min mark of the game I watched today. AD did miss a couple days due to getting smacked in the eye. I could see AD not playing and the game getting out of reach, and LA not being "too worried" about it.

You don't see very well in general.

Manny98
04-15-2024, 02:23 AM
What kinda bitch shit is this, ain't nobody ducking Denver

Nb1
04-15-2024, 04:04 AM
They need to lose vs Pelicans and hope GSW wins vs Kings. Lebron loves cooking Curry, it’s a guaranteed win and also Denver is unbeatable for them. OKC are insanely good but they’re not unbeatable.

Anyway doesn’t matter because at some point they’ll face Denver anyway and then it’s over unless Denver has injuries.

Nb1
04-15-2024, 04:06 AM

You mean LA only goes as far as Mr. ghost with 11 pts playoff games go? LA has 0 chance of winning with that team and depending on Davis. Lebron is the only guy carrying them in every game, the Lakers might aswell just lose the play-in. They’re going nowhere with only 1 great player who is 40 and a bunch of scrubs.

Axe
04-16-2024, 10:13 PM

You're sure about this, op?

1987_Lakers
04-16-2024, 10:18 PM
OP a proven dumbass. Called it.

kawhileonard2
04-16-2024, 10:28 PM
Lose to Denver

BarberSchool
04-16-2024, 10:51 PM
Absolutely terrible idea.

As you stated they have a losing record vs both lower play in teams. Leaving it up to one game when you have a chance to secure a berth earlier is AWFUL strategy.

Moreover, they likely have to go thru Denver at some point regardless. Id argue it’s better to play them now while the Lakers have max health (assuming AD’s injury is not serious) after a rest on wed/thur/fri/sat, rather than after playing two other grueling series first and possibly a short turnaround between series.

Anyone in Lakers leadership who even floats the idea of doing what you suggest should be fired.
Certainly, from a strictly business standpoint, doing what they didn’t wind up doing, would have been TERRIBLE, money wise in the short term.

Securing AT LEAST 4-5 games versus Denver, is gonna get huge ratings, sell lots of merch, even if it may be a better statistical chance at upsetting OKC with offensive rebounding and transition defense, versus the Denver matchup, which is almost certainly an exit after 5 games.

So Lakers ownership likely knows that this squad has no real chance to do anything anyways, and taking such a brazen risk which could backfire and yield ZERO actual playoff games, was a dumb risk. Whereas from a strictly RATINGS perspective, playing the defending champion, IN A WESTERN CONF FINALS REMATCH FROM LAST YEAT, is gonna GUARANTEE huge ratings and hype for the casuals.