PDA

View Full Version : (2) Nuggets vs. (3) Timberwolves Second Round Playoff Series Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Im Still Ballin
04-30-2024, 12:31 AM
(2) Denver vs. (3) Minnesota

• Game 1: Timberwolves 106, Nuggets 99
• Game 2: Timberwolves 106, Nuggets 80
• Game 3: Nuggets 117, Timberwolves 90
• Game 4: Nuggets 115, Timberwolves 107
• Game 5: Nuggets 112, Timberwolves 97
• Game 6: Timberwolves 115, Nuggets 70
• Game 7: Timberwolves vs. Nuggets, Sunday, May 19 (8 ET, TNT)

* = If necessary

--------------------------

Sticky and edit this, El Jefe!

This may be the real WCF. Maybe the real NBA Finals! I'm excited.

1987_Lakers
04-30-2024, 12:39 AM

Agree.

Gonna be a good series.

Nuggets in 6, but Wolves have the superstar and the defense to shock the world.

warriorfan
04-30-2024, 01:33 AM
Yes. Has potential to be the best series of the entire playoffs.

I’m not sure what their record was in the regular season matchups but Timberwolves seem to match up well with Denver. Jokic obviously plays huge minutes so it’s tough for Nuggets to try to go small to counter Gobert. Gordon can be a beast and play bigger than his size but KAT is a lot bigger. I could see Gordon struggling. Mcdaniels has the length to bother Porter, Ant could potentially start trying to dog Murray. It’s gonna be hell of a battle. It’s going to go to 6 or 7 games and to be honest, while Nuggets are the slight favorite I give it a coin flip to see who takes the series

Actually I’ll go for T Wolves in 6

RRR3
04-30-2024, 01:53 AM
Jokic gonna annihilate the Toods as usual.

Akeem34TheDream
04-30-2024, 03:38 AM
Wolves have more talent but Nuggets have the better chemistry and best player. I got the Wolves in 7. Gonna be a fun series.

BarberSchool
04-30-2024, 03:55 AM
The most important thing to watch for in this series, for me, will be how Aaron Gordon defends Edwards. Especially off the ball.

I think that will be the difference.

Im Still Ballin
04-30-2024, 12:29 PM
Bump!

tontoz
04-30-2024, 12:34 PM
I cant even make a pick here. I think it is a tossup.

White Hammer
04-30-2024, 01:57 PM
I have Nuggets winning in a close 7, but it could go either way. Regular season went 2-2. This should be a very close, competitive series. The wolves defense is stifling. In the end the Nuggets cohesion and championship experience should give them the edge in close games, and the Jokic/Murray duo will get it done in the clutch more often than not just as they did against the Lakers. But Ant is scary, and there's no telling what he could do to sway this series.

Lebron23
04-30-2024, 02:06 PM
Wolves in 6. They are going to turn Nikola Jokic and Murray to Greg Ostertag Jr and Jeff Hornacek Jr

dankok8
04-30-2024, 02:50 PM
The Wolves are considerably better than the Lakers defensively. They also have a much better bench so the Nuggets can be hurting when a few second unit guys are playing, putting more pressure on the starters to be even better. Denver also has injuries to both Murray and KCP so finishing off the Lakers yesterday was huge for them as they get a few days to rest. The Nuggets are a big step up over the Suns on both ends but especially on the defensive end of the floor. Minny won't have a 128.1 ORtg in the 2nd round. That being said, I think Minny is a nightmare matchup for Murray with so many physical defenders. Nuggets have the mettle, championship experience and the best player in Jokic. Homecourt could also be critical. Minny will play well at home but winning in Denver isn't easy. I'll say Nuggets in 7.

FultzNationRISE
04-30-2024, 02:54 PM

Are you an asshole, bro? We just had the real finals. It was Game 4 of Denver-LAL, and Lebron won it. I said even before the game started that it was a winner take all finals. So it wasnt just a hindsight thing.

We're into exhibition territory at this point. Lebron has his championship, and he's now going to hit a vacation. The competitive season is over. These are exhibitions.

Dont make me have to tell you this again.

NBAGOAT
05-01-2024, 02:05 PM
Wolves in 7. I like wolves defensive game plan of putting gobert or Gordon and just playing help defense. Kat scores pretty well vs Denver. Gordon kinda mismatched there

Mask the Embiid
05-01-2024, 04:11 PM
I expect Jokic to eviscerate Kat for 2 games and then for the Timberwolves to panic and throw toody to the wolves and stick him on jokic. I expect jokic to average 28-33 ppg on toody(40+ on kat) and for jamal murray to hit a hand full of game winners this series and to average double or triple Jokic's points in the clutch.

I got nuggets in 6

AlternativeAcc.
05-01-2024, 04:34 PM
Picking against peak Jokic and Murray seems silly.

Taking the Nuggets here

ShawkFactory
05-01-2024, 05:30 PM
The Wolves match up with the Nuggets really well. They’re the only team in the playoffs with the size and athleticism across the board.

Jokic is of course the deciding factor, but if ANT decides to go superstar mode then they can win. I’ll still go Denver in 7.

Duffy Pratt
05-01-2024, 06:58 PM
The most important thing to watch for in this series, for me, will be how Aaron Gordon defends Edwards. Especially off the ball.

I think that will be the difference.

I would be surprised if they don't put KCP on Edwards, Gordon on Towns, and Jokic on Gobert. Might depend on the situation, and how bad KCP's ankle is.

tontoz
05-01-2024, 07:00 PM
I would be surprised if they don't put KCP on Edwards, Gordon on Towns, and Jokic on Gobert. Might depend on the situation, and how bad KCP's ankle is.

Denver can also use Braun and Watson on Edwards.

brownmamba00
05-01-2024, 08:10 PM
Gobert said he's the best ISO defender in the League. Jokic will be a great test.

If KAT shows up this series is going 7 games.

ArbitraryWater
05-01-2024, 08:28 PM
I dont think the Nuggets will be tested like the lakers tested them again, tbh.

They might have a 6-game series but the games wont be as close.

Kblaze8855
05-01-2024, 09:27 PM
Going into Last playoffs I said talent wise Minnesota should probably be able to beat Denver, but they didn’t have it all pulled together yet. Mcdaniels and Reid didn’t play and Edwards had improved. It should be a tossup now but the whole “Heart of a champion” thing so…who the **** knows.

tontoz
05-01-2024, 09:34 PM
MPJ said recently that the wolves would be the toughest matchup in the West.

https://youtu.be/LVDxgptxSJM?si=nwwMGIQD4sKuVq22

Axe
05-01-2024, 09:41 PM
Might root for minny here since i'm not sure i wanna see denver repeat again lol.

tontoz
05-01-2024, 09:44 PM
Might root for minny here since i'm not sure i wanna see denver repeat again lol.

Repeat again? Did they repeat before and I missed it?

:lol

Wally450
05-01-2024, 10:09 PM
I'll take the Nuggets in a hard fought 7 game series. Until someone is able to defeat this version of Jokic and company 4 times in 7 games, I can't bet against them. Maybe this is Ant's coming out party, but I don't think it'll be enough.

Axe
05-01-2024, 10:10 PM
Oh. So another team won the title last year huh? Wasn't it, uncle?

tontoz
05-01-2024, 10:15 PM
Oh. So another team won the title last year huh? Wasn't it, uncle?

They won a title last year. They didn't repeat last year.

:roll:

Axe
05-01-2024, 10:26 PM
I never said they did. What i'm trying to say earlier was i'm not sure if i wanna see them repeat again LATER THIS YEAR, assuming it happens. :oldlol:

tontoz
05-01-2024, 10:52 PM
I never said they did. What i'm trying to say earlier was i'm not sure if i wanna see them repeat again LATER THIS YEAR, assuming it happens. :oldlol:

Is English your second language?

If they win a title this year THEY WILL BE A REPEAT CHAMP FOR THE FIRST TIME. THEY WON A TITLE LAST YEAR . THEY DIDN'T REPEAT LAST YEAR THEREFORE IT IS IMPOSSIBLE FOR THEM TO REPEAT AGAIN THIS YEAR.

:facepalm

Axe
05-01-2024, 10:53 PM
Geez, uncle is getting too old to see my point. Probably being senile already. :sleeping :(

tontoz
05-01-2024, 10:56 PM
Geez, uncle is getting too old to see my point. Probably being senile already. :sleeping :(

The point is that you don't understand English. You have to repeat once before you can repeat again. It is really impressive how clueless you are

Axe
05-01-2024, 10:57 PM
Alright then, have a good time taking care of your grandchildren uncle. :cheers:

bladefd
05-02-2024, 12:25 AM
https://i.ibb.co/rHQxSWP/ant.jpg

(99% sure it's fake but I like the sentiment!)

Im Still Ballin
05-02-2024, 11:51 PM
Bump!

White Hammer
05-03-2024, 01:31 AM
MIN-DEN Regular Season tied at 2 wins apiece:

Game 1 (11/1 @ Minn): Wolves win 110-89
Everyone available, but heavy bench minutes in this early-season matchup. Wolves bench scored 38 to Nuggets 35. Nugs as a team shot a miserable 6-33 from 3pt.

Game 2 (3/19 @ Minn): Nuggets win 115-112 (No KAT, Gobert, or Reid)
Edwards, without his starting frontcourt, shot 13-26 for 30/8/8. Jokic shot 14-22 for 35/16/2. Nuggets as a team shot over 50% from 2 AND from 3. But they also had 17 turnovers to the wolves 7.

Game 3 (3/29 @ Den): Wolves win 111-98 (No KAT / No Murray)
Wolves shot 37 free throws to Nuggets 27. Edwards, Conley, and Gobert all scored over 20pts. Nuggets shot under 40%, but they were +7 on the offensive boards and had 14 more shot attempts.

Game 4 (4/10 @ Den): Nuggets win 116-107 (No KAT)
Jokic goes 16-20 for 41/11/7. Both teams shot a solid 50% fg and 40% 3pt, but both go a horrendous sub-60% from the line on 20+ attempts.

Wolves won the turnover battle in all 4 meetings, while the Nugs had more rebounds. Wolves mostly had fewer fouls and more free throws each game. How will new playoff officiating affect this matchup?
Jokic in 4 games averaged 33pts on 58% but only 4.3 assists, his lowest assist average against any team in the league this year. Jokic shot 20+ times in each of the 4 meetings. Making him a scorer and taking away his passing game may be the winning strategy. The Nuggets have not really seen this wolves squad at full strength so they could be in for a surprise.

Xiao Yao You
05-03-2024, 07:46 AM
Wolves out rebounded them the only game they had all their bigs. Not much to take from that. Only first game were teams healthy and that was the 4th game of the season with Shake Milton in the rotation. Hes no longer on the team

Nanners
05-03-2024, 08:18 AM
Jokic in 4 games averaged 33pts on 58% but only 4.3 assists, his lowest assist average against any team in the league this year. Jokic shot 20+ times in each of the 4 meetings. Making him a scorer and taking away his passing game may be the winning strategy. The Nuggets have not really seen this wolves squad at full strength so they could be in for a surprise.

I think this is spot on. Seems like the wolves best approach to the matchup is to defend jokic 1v1 and let him shoot as much as he wants, and instead focus on suffocating the nugs supporting cast (especially the perimeter shooters).

Meticode
05-03-2024, 08:36 AM
Out of all the potential matchups this one has me the most excited for a tough series. No hate to the Thunder, but I feel like the Nuggets and Wolves match up really interesting...

Murray vs Edwards
Jokic+Gordon vs Gobert+Towns
Porter Jr. vs McDaniels

Can't wait for Saturday 7PM EST.

Is it sad I'm more excited for this than my Cavs? I don't know. I just feel like the Cavs will fizzle out. Even if they beat Orlando there's no way in hell they're beating the Celtics or the Knicks.

Also it helps that Murray is a killer in the playoffs and raises his game in the playoffs more than any other player in NBA history vs the regular season. And Edwards is coming into his own as a killer and wants to be a leader.

Nanners
05-03-2024, 09:25 AM
Out of all the potential matchups this one has me the most excited for a tough series. No hate to the Thunder, but I feel like the Nuggets and Wolves match up really interesting...

Murray vs Edwards
Jokic+Gordon vs Gobert+Towns
Porter Jr. vs McDaniels

Can't wait for Saturday 7PM EST.

Is it sad I'm more excited for this than my Cavs? I don't know. I just feel like the Cavs will fizzle out. Even if they beat Orlando there's no way in hell they're beating the Celtics or the Knicks.

Also it helps that Murray is a killer in the playoffs and raises his game in the playoffs more than any other player in NBA history vs the regular season. And Edwards is coming into his own as a killer and wants to be a leader.

You really dont think the Cavs can beat the Knicks? The cavs are lightyears better defensively than the 76ers (especially on the perimeter), and on paper its hard to find a single matchup where the knicks have a clear advantage. The only obvious reason I can see why the Cavs cant beat the Knicks is because in order to play the Knicks they have to beat the Celtics first.

Xiao Yao You
05-03-2024, 05:31 PM
Harrison Wind: Nikola Jokic on the Timberwolves: “When Tim Connelly made that trade (for Rudy Gobert) everybody was laughing at him and what he was doing. But he made a great team. I think he deserves credit for doing that.” “I think they’re built really well.” pic.twitter.com/Ov4NnoVCzx

Meticode
05-04-2024, 06:32 AM
You really dont think the Cavs can beat the Knicks? The cavs are lightyears better defensively than the 76ers (especially on the perimeter), and on paper its hard to find a single matchup where the knicks have a clear advantage. The only obvious reason I can see why the Cavs cant beat the Knicks is because in order to play the Knicks they have to beat the Celtics first.

No I do not. I feel like the Garland+Mitchell experiment hasn't worked and collectively the Cavs play better when they're both not on the court, just one at a time.

Plus last year the Cavs had a good defense, and got beat by the Knicks 4-1. Although Randle played and flip Barrett for Anunoby.

I just think the Knicks are way more physical and the Cavs wouldn't be able to handle it. They can't even handle Orlando.

BarberSchool
05-04-2024, 10:50 AM
MIN-DEN Regular Season tied at 2 wins apiece:

Game 1 (11/1 @ Minn): Wolves win 110-89
Everyone available, but heavy bench minutes in this early-season matchup. Wolves bench scored 38 to Nuggets 35. Nugs as a team shot a miserable 6-33 from 3pt.

Game 2 (3/19 @ Minn): Nuggets win 115-112 (No KAT, Gobert, or Reid)
Edwards, without his starting frontcourt, shot 13-26 for 30/8/8. Jokic shot 14-22 for 35/16/2. Nuggets as a team shot over 50% from 2 AND from 3. But they also had 17 turnovers to the wolves 7.

Game 3 (3/29 @ Den): Wolves win 111-98 (No KAT / No Murray)
Wolves shot 37 free throws to Nuggets 27. Edwards, Conley, and Gobert all scored over 20pts. Nuggets shot under 40%, but they were +7 on the offensive boards and had 14 more shot attempts.

Game 4 (4/10 @ Den): Nuggets win 116-107 (No KAT)
Jokic goes 16-20 for 41/11/7. Both teams shot a solid 50% fg and 40% 3pt, but both go a horrendous sub-60% from the line on 20+ attempts.

Wolves won the turnover battle in all 4 meetings, while the Nugs had more rebounds. Wolves mostly had fewer fouls and more free throws each game. How will new playoff officiating affect this matchup?
Appreciate this!

BarberSchool
05-04-2024, 10:52 AM
Harrison Wind: Nikola Jokic on the Timberwolves: “When Tim Connelly made that trade (for Rudy Gobert) everybody was laughing at him and what he was doing. But he made a great team. I think he deserves credit for doing that.” “I think they’re built really well.” pic.twitter.com/Ov4NnoVCzxI don’t think I’ve paid that much attention to how well Gobert or Towns defend Jokic, and if, like Nurkic, they never require double teams for him. If that’s the case (judging by his only averaging 4.3assists against them in 4 games this season, I’m assuming it IS the case), could be an interesting series, if others can accompany Ant’s scoring, and keep it close.

Im Still Ballin
05-04-2024, 04:55 PM
Denver in 7. Rudy is a better matchup for Jokic than AD was. They'll be able to defend him one-on-one better and this should slow down the Denver offense somewhat. But The Nuggets clutch play and Murray-Jokic two-man game will come up with timely baskets. They'll do just enough to survive this round.

j3lademaster
05-04-2024, 05:30 PM
Denver in 7. Rudy is a better matchup for Jokic than AD was. They'll be able to defend him one-on-one better and this should slow down the Denver offense somewhat. But The Nuggets clutch play and Murray-Jokic two-man game will come up with timely baskets. They'll do just enough to survive this round.I think they might put someone else on Jokic and let Gobert play safety while keeping AG off the glass. You’ll give up some good looks to Gordon, but if I lose a series to Gordon’s jump shooting then so be it.

Murray was also terrible outside of the clutch last series and he ain’t gonna see Reaves and D’Lo for the majority of this series, it’d be one thing if his shots just didn’t fall but he was taking a lot of ill advised ones, which is the main concern. Need his typical 26 on ~45% against the Wolves.

Duffy Pratt
05-04-2024, 06:12 PM
Denver in 7. Rudy is a better matchup for Jokic than AD was. They'll be able to defend him one-on-one better and this should slow down the Denver offense somewhat. But The Nuggets clutch play and Murray-Jokic two-man game will come up with timely baskets. They'll do just enough to survive this round.

They put KAT on Jokic in the first game this season and did well with it. The bigger question marks, I think, are the health of all three primary guards for the Nuggets. KCP would have trouble with Edward’s, even without the ankle issue. The Nuggets may have to put Gordon on him, which will create huge mismatches in the front line.

tpols
05-04-2024, 06:36 PM
This should be a very good game. Rooting for the wolves tho.

elementally morale
05-04-2024, 07:05 PM
Let's see. The Nuggets effort should improve as should their shooting. Edwards will be a problem. The Wolves will not double Jokic to start the game, I think. Interesting series. The Nuggets are losing if they won't play better than they did against LA.

tpols
05-04-2024, 07:21 PM
Denver has zero rim protection and they're outsized everywhere.

Proctor
05-04-2024, 07:22 PM
Gobert tired of being humiliated every postseason and stepped up his perimeter defense this year.

Denver looks demoralized

elementally morale
05-04-2024, 07:26 PM
Gobert tired of being humiliated every postseason and stepped up his perimeter defense this year.

Denver looks demoralized

They do. It was a problem even in their first 3 wins against the Lakers. I don't really like them going to Jamal early in every game. It makes them play hope basketball. Anyway, it's good the lead is this big. They needed a wakeup call. They can win on the road if necessary but it is imperative they bring their best basketball. It didn't happen all season besides 10-15 games after the ASG.

1_BAD_TIGER
05-04-2024, 07:30 PM

Denver looks demoralized

Sure:oldlol:

Proctor
05-04-2024, 07:30 PM
If Reggie Jackson has the type of series he is capable of, Denver has reason to feel good.

He loves big games and series.

RRR3
05-04-2024, 07:36 PM
Sure:oldlol:
You literally only started using this alt after over a decade when the Nuggets made the finals pipe down

RRR3
If Reggie Jackson has the type of series he is capable of, Denver has reason to feel good.

He loves big games and series.
Toody doesn't.

1_BAD_TIGER
Man Denver looks so demoralized I guess this series is over

plowking
05-04-2024, 07:41 PM
D Lo and Rui would be so good on this Denver team.

Axe
05-04-2024, 07:42 PM
Yikes, what a furious run. Joker almost scoring double-digits already. :rolleyes:

plowking
05-04-2024, 07:45 PM
Minny is perfectly built to take down Denver.

elementally morale
05-04-2024, 07:48 PM
Adjustments will be interesting to see after halftime. Game plan is working for Minnesota. They are down atm but really shouldn't be.

90sgoat
05-04-2024, 07:50 PM
Denver look a lot "worse" this year.

Murray doesn't seem like his playoff self yet.

And still, here are Denver up in front. They have that championship discipline.

plowking
05-04-2024, 07:50 PM
Adjustments will be interesting to see after halftime. Game plan is working for Minnesota. They are down atm but really shouldn't be.

Yeah - feels like Minny is in control of the game despite the score.

Nowoco
05-04-2024, 07:57 PM
Both teams' scores being in blue on TNT's coverage is hella annoying.

plowking
05-04-2024, 07:58 PM
Denver kinda bullying the younger Minny team though.

AlternativeAcc.
05-04-2024, 07:58 PM
Doubling down on the Nuggets now that I see every post being pessemistic about them. Y'all are some morons lol

FKAri
05-04-2024, 07:59 PM
Sorry Reggie that might've been a foul in your soft era but in today's rugged, tough league that's a play on.

Akeem34TheDream
05-04-2024, 08:00 PM
Twolves seem stressed. Also they gave up lots of free points.

elementally morale
05-04-2024, 08:00 PM
Very uncharacteristic 3 of 11 from Jokic but he is due for a bad game every once in a while and the defense is really good on him. Having 4 assists is nice, should be 6 by now. Let's hope they figure it out at the break.

plowking
05-04-2024, 08:01 PM
Sorry Reggie that might've been a foul in your soft era but in today's rugged, tough league that's a play on.

True. 90's guys are too soft. Can't handle todays prison ball style of basketball.

1_BAD_TIGER
05-04-2024, 08:01 PM
Yeah - feels like Minny is in control of the game despite the score.

In the beginning yes, but after about mid first quarter Denver has garbed the controls, Ant has been the only T-Wolf consistently hitting shots

White Hammer
05-04-2024, 08:02 PM

Marginal contact! The arm is part of the ball.

warriorfan
05-04-2024, 08:04 PM
True. 90's guys are too soft. Can't handle todays prison ball style of basketball.

F.uck you

RRR3
05-04-2024, 08:05 PM
F.uck you
Meltdown :roll: :roll: :roll:

plowking
05-04-2024, 08:05 PM
F.uck you

Take me out to dinner first.

brownmamba00
05-04-2024, 08:06 PM
Ant had 25 but they still down thats crazy

elementally morale
05-04-2024, 08:07 PM
The good news is the Nuggets didn't play well and still lead. Minnesota has Edwards on offense and not much else.

White Hammer
05-04-2024, 08:10 PM
If the rest of the series is like this then it more than lives up to the hype. It's been a dogfight so far. First half of the series and it's already chippy.

90sgoat
05-04-2024, 08:12 PM
Gobert is so limited offensively.

1_BAD_TIGER
05-04-2024, 08:16 PM

Plus Murray with a goose egg, but somehow Nuggets up 4

Xiao Yao You
05-04-2024, 08:16 PM

Denver looks demoralized
2 upsets vs 1 loss as a higher seed. He could always guard the perimeter. He cany guard a whole team by himself. Troll narrative vs facts :facepalm

Proctor
05-04-2024, 08:17 PM
Gobert may have improved his perimeter defense but he needs to figure out how to improve his defense on Jokic. Jokic is having himself a French feast.

Wolves may be scary defensively but they have a lot of disappearing pieces offensively

Proctor
05-04-2024, 08:17 PM
2 upsets vs 1 loss as a higher seed. Troll narrative vs facts :facepalm
Moral victories aren't going to do much in this series. Sorry! :facepalm

RRR3
05-04-2024, 08:18 PM
Gobert may have improved his perimeter defense but he needs to figure out how to improve his defense on Jokic. Jokic is having himself a French feast.

Wolves may be scary defensively but they have a lot of disappearing pieces offensively
Even the announcers said they should put KAT on Jokic. You simply can't count on Baguette Biyombo to carry his weight in the playoffs :facepalm

"DPOY"!

Nowoco
05-04-2024, 08:18 PM

Not when everyone else is 6/27.

White Hammer
05-04-2024, 08:19 PM
Jokic is having himself a French feast.

Jokic is making FRENCH TOAST. All we need is Murray to bring the maple syrup!

Akeem34TheDream
05-04-2024, 08:20 PM
I just hope everyone stays healthy. It's been fun so far. Too fun in fact.

brownmamba00
05-04-2024, 08:22 PM
Gobert is so limited offensively.

Defensively aswell he cant guard the post cuz he bites on pumpfakes all the time.

Hes just tall

Akeem34TheDream
05-04-2024, 08:28 PM
Both teams need to stop crying and whining. Game got more physical, get used to it.

RRR3
05-04-2024, 08:29 PM
Toody afraid to guard Jokic :roll:

"You do it KAT!"

90sgoat
05-04-2024, 08:30 PM
Defensively aswell he cant guard the post cuz he bites on pumpfakes all the time.

Hes just tall

Yeah.

Proctor
05-04-2024, 08:30 PM
Towns is mentally always knocking on the doorstep of Westbrook.

If you're the opponent, make him feel good and then watch him implode with stupid fouls and bricks.

RRR3
05-04-2024, 08:31 PM

If you're the opponent, make him feel good and then watch him implode with stupid fouls and bricks.
To be fair, if Toody stepped up and guarded his matchup, Towns wouldn't be getting so rattled.

Akeem34TheDream
05-04-2024, 08:32 PM

His 3rd personal was bs

90sgoat
05-04-2024, 08:32 PM
I feel as if Minny might not be able to play the same tempo as Denver.

They don't have a real floor general outside Conley.

Minny would probably prefer to isolate Towns and Ant as much as possible.

I thought Denver are playing uncharacteristically fast and running a lot. I'm thinking their argument is to keep Gobert from getting set and Ant having to make more decisions quicker, being inexperienced.

Xiao Yao You
05-04-2024, 08:33 PM

Hes just tall

Rarely bites o. Pump fakes. If he was just tall he wouldnt be making history with his 4th dpoty :lol

FultzNationRISE
05-04-2024, 08:33 PM
His 3rd personal was bs

It was a foul but it’s the kind of body bump theyve been letting go sometimes lately. I would have liked to see a no call there.

ArbitraryWater
05-04-2024, 08:35 PM
Rarely bites o. Pump fakes. If he was just tall he wouldnt be making history with his 4th dpoty :lol

hes winning a 4th dpoty?!

Hey Yo
05-04-2024, 08:37 PM
Naz says GTFO of my way!

Xiao Yao You
05-04-2024, 08:44 PM
hes winning a 4th dpoty?!
Hes not?

Akeem34TheDream
05-04-2024, 08:46 PM
Edwards is amazing

90sgoat
05-04-2024, 08:46 PM
Ant is 97% the bastard son of MJ.

That baseline move was straight up a copy of MJ.

Akeem34TheDream
05-04-2024, 08:51 PM
Ant is 97% the bastard son of MJ.

That baseline move was straight up a copy of MJ.

And the technical after was so so stupid. Just let them trash talk and stare a bit. Come on.

BarberSchool
05-04-2024, 08:54 PM
Gobert is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooo limited offensively.Fixed.

plowking
05-04-2024, 08:58 PM
lol Towns.

Proctor
05-04-2024, 08:58 PM

Akeem34TheDream
05-04-2024, 09:00 PM
Yeah 2 retarded fouls. Low iq.

BarberSchool
05-04-2024, 09:00 PM
If Denver can win with Jokic forced into 6 turnovers and Ant scoring near 40 …..

tontoz
05-04-2024, 09:03 PM
Playoff Ant is no joke. Small sample obviously but so far he has been really impressive.

Manny98
05-04-2024, 09:06 PM
Reid :bowdown:

90sgoat
05-04-2024, 09:07 PM
Murray not being healthy makes Denver seem a lot less impressive.

Proctor
05-04-2024, 09:07 PM
Reid is amazing.

I don't EVER want to hear about Gobert being more important offensively. Big time LOL.

RRR3
05-04-2024, 09:09 PM
Reid is amazing.

I don't EVER want to hear about Gobert being more important offensively. Big time LOL.

Who tf said that? The troll?

Proctor
05-04-2024, 09:11 PM
Who tf said that? The troll?
Yeah one of the trolls did. Couldn't have been more wrong either

REID! Wow

RRR3
05-04-2024, 09:12 PM

REID! Wow
One of? Do we have another pro Gobert troll?

RRR3
05-04-2024, 09:12 PM
"DPOY" needs to hit the weight room

ShawkFactory
05-04-2024, 09:14 PM
"DPOY" needs to hit the weight room

I mean..that was pretty good defense.

Proctor
Gobert decided to improve his perimeter defense and forgot how to play interior D?

Nuggets need to do a couple rounds of Hack-a-Rudy

White Hammer
ok but why is naz reid just completely taking over this game

Xiao Yao You
05-04-2024, 09:15 PM

REID! Wow

Hes no greg monroe!

elementally morale
05-04-2024, 09:15 PM
Jokic missed at least 5-6 shots he normally makes and it can very well mean the game.

Great game. Minnesota arrived with a great plan.

Hey Yo
05-04-2024, 09:16 PM
ok but why is naz reid just completely taking over this game

Confidence

Proctor
05-04-2024, 09:16 PM
KAT in over Reid? :roll:

90sgoat
05-04-2024, 09:17 PM
Must say I'm surprised to see Ant be this controlled down the stretch. He's won them this game.

RRR3
05-04-2024, 09:18 PM
Denver simply can't get a stop.

Manny98
05-04-2024, 09:19 PM
Edwards is that guy

Akeem34TheDream
05-04-2024, 09:20 PM
Is Anthony Edwards best player on the court?

90sgoat
05-04-2024, 09:20 PM
This seems like a significant upset.

Denver needs a new gameplan.

elementally morale
05-04-2024, 09:21 PM
Minnesota absolutely deserved to win this. When they were down 4 points mid second quarter and at the half I said the same thing. They happened to be not leading at the time but the game felt like theirs.

AlternativeAcc.
Gobert with midrange touch. Clutch takeover by the Frechman

Axe
Damn, what a stun by minny.

90sgoat
05-04-2024, 09:22 PM
Maybe Denver should double Ant next game.

plowking
05-04-2024, 09:23 PM

Today he was.

Think he won't be getting single coverage anymore.

BarberSchool
05-04-2024, 09:23 PM
Gobert decided to improve his perimeter defense and forgot how to play interior D?

Nuggets need to do a couple rounds of Hack-a-RudyHard Doubling Ant; and some Hack-A-Rudy, and Denver wins this game. Even with a 70% Jamal Murray.

90sgoat
05-04-2024, 09:24 PM
Today he was.

Think he won't be getting single coverage anymore.

Yeah, Denver need to make him a passer and see if he has that in his game.

tontoz
05-04-2024, 09:25 PM

Tonight he was. He went off against Denver last year too.

NBAGOAT
05-04-2024, 09:26 PM
Denver can’t win if Jamal’s injury is that serious. Gordon is not going do anything on offense this series vs gobert

Akeem34TheDream
05-04-2024, 09:27 PM
What a game

1_BAD_TIGER
Well that's it, Timberwolves win the series. Denver need to improve the bench in the off season.

90sgoat
Denver can’t win if Jamal’s injury is that serious. Gordon is not going do anything on offense this series vs gobert

Yeah Gordon was a complete dud, very dissapointing.

NBAGOAT
05-04-2024, 09:28 PM

That’s weakness in edwards game but that’s not a great strat either. Gobert will finish lobs and you have 3 40% from 3 guys around him. Minnesotas offense isn’t great but they have shooting.

Proctor
Hard Doubling Ant; and some Hack-A-Rudy, and Denver wins this game. Even with a 70% Jamal Murray.
Hopefully some Hack-A-Rudy next game if needed.

RRR3
Well that's it, Timberwolves win the series. Denver need to improve the bench in the off season.
Quitting after one game :roll:

Mask the Embiid
05-04-2024, 09:29 PM
https://media.tenor.com/5KMZ0xpvSw8AAAAM/magic-johnson-dance.gif

90sgoat
That’s weakness in edwards game but that’s not a great strat either. Gobert will finish lobs and you have 3 40% from 3 guys around him. Minnesotas offense isn’t great but they have shooting.

Today I felt Denver didn't really have an answer for Ant. I'd rather have Gobert try to catch lobs and Towns shooting 3s than Edwards demoralizing the entire team with bully ball.

RRR3
Malone sure doesn’t look so smart when he’s not coaching against Darvin Ham

Hey Yo
05-04-2024, 09:30 PM

That's the reason why his assist total wasn't shown when being interviewed.

90sgoat
05-04-2024, 09:31 PM
Malone sure doesn’t look so smart when he’s not coaching against Darvin Ham

Definitely looked like a complete wrong gameplan.

Played too fast for me, not enough brain. I think Denver need to be more strategic with getting good matchups. Can't have Jokic go against Gobert all game, can't have MPJ be a 2 point shooter, can't have Gordon dissappear, can't have Murray be anonymous. They need to figure out which matchups they have an advantage, not just try to match pace with Minny.

FultzNationRISE
05-04-2024, 09:32 PM
Playoff Edwards - It’s clearly a thing!

NBAGOAT
Today I felt Denver didn't really have an answer for Ant. I'd rather have Gobert try to catch lobs and Towns shooting 3s than Edwards demoralizing the entire team with bully ball.

He’s definitely playing incredible. During regular season he wasn’t that dominant in isolation however. He’s an average efficiency guy and Minnesota was an average offense with him leading. You can’t leave conley and towns open maybe McDaniels who had a bad year but he’s not a guy you leave open. Towns can go off for 40 too if you give him an easy matchup and he’s making 3s, he’s jist smartly referring to ant rn and picking his spots

Xiao Yao You
Gobert with midrange touch. Clutch takeover by the Frechman
Another tough night for the trolls

tontoz
05-04-2024, 09:33 PM
Denver was up 7 in the 3rd. Against the Lakers that would be a sure win. Minny doesn't fold. They keep up the intensity all game and it wears teams down.

Very tough matchup for Denver.

tpols
05-04-2024, 09:34 PM
Where are the trolls at now?

FultzNationRISE
05-04-2024, 09:34 PM
I dont understand why the hell they didnt foul on that last possession. Burning time on the trap is too risky IMO, just foul right away and make him win it at the line. He got a free open lane to just go to the basket and seal the game.

Hey Yo
05-04-2024, 09:37 PM
Towns, Reid and Conley 17-19 second half

Xiao Yao You
05-04-2024, 09:37 PM

If your best strategy is to foul a 64% ft shooter you've already lost:facepalm

FultzNationRISE
05-04-2024, 09:38 PM

Cant Quit Me!

Xiao Yao You
05-04-2024, 09:38 PM
Doing what trolls do :roll:

Proctor
05-04-2024, 09:39 PM
If your best strategy is to foul a 64% ft shooter you've already lost:facepalm
Trolls defending 64% FT now...wow. :roll: :facepalm

plowking
05-04-2024, 09:40 PM
Denver was up 7 in the 3rd. Against the Lakers that would be a sure win. Minny doesn't fold. They keep up the intensity all game and it wears teams down.

Very tough matchup for Denver.

Minny also has the better team.

With Lakers the talent was comparable.

Never got people talking Denver starting a dynasty. They literally made the standard mistake a team winning a championship makes, by letting go of talent and not replacing it. Brown and Green were huge. Their bench sucks - and you let the two actual contributors go... Like what?

Akeem34TheDream
05-04-2024, 09:42 PM
I think Minnesota is a tough matchup but more important is they have significantly more talent. Nuggets bench is just bad lets be honest. If Nuggets win this series then Jokic has to dominate and even that might not be enough.
EDIT:

Never got people talking Denver starting a dynasty. They literally made the standard mistake a team winning a championship makes, by letting go of talent and not replacing it. Brown and Green were huge. Their bench sucks - and you let the two actual contributors go... Like what?

Bruh how did i wrote the same exact things? I guess it was a bit obvious.

White Hammer
05-04-2024, 09:43 PM
Nuggets bench actually performed. Braun played with energy on both ends and even chipped in 7 pts. I was expecting more Peyton Watson, but maybe it's a bad matchup.

NBAGOAT
05-04-2024, 09:47 PM
I think Minnesota is a tough matchup but more important is they have significantly more talent. Nuggets bench is just bad lets be honest. If Nuggets win this series then Jokic has to dominate and even that might not be enough.

Tbf jokic can make up for that on paper he’s the best guy in the league edwards was not top 10 during rs. Edwards is playing like a top 5 player rn is the problem and Jamal/Gordon did nothing. Having towns/gobert as your next best players vs injured Jamal/Gordon is such a huge edge and Minnesota is deeper too

FultzNationRISE
05-04-2024, 09:51 PM
Towns, Reid and Conley 17-19 second half

Yeah. I'm not as convinced as others “this series is over.”

Thats kind of a pleb prisoner of the moment over reaction.

Obviously it’s Advantage Minny now. So we’ll see what the adjustments look like.

Christian Braun was the only Nugget who had some moderate success against Ant defensively, so I expect him to play a lil more next game. I would even think about starting him over KCP. That would also give the second unit more shooting. It’s not gonna happen but it probably should.

Joker and Murray gotta start faster obviously.

I think Denver was the team who clearly played below their standard, while Minny basically played at right about their usual standard. So in terms of the law of averages, this series to me is still a toss up.

FultzNationRISE
05-04-2024, 09:53 PM

Well Denver has four big contracts in the starting lineup alone. You cant pay everybody.

White Hammer
05-04-2024, 09:54 PM
Nuggets got a lot of steals and surprisingly won the turnover battle. They also had more FT's, but they seemed to get a few more favorable calls compared to the wolves.

Overall I think the wolves should feel good about this win. Jokic and Murray underperformed, but a lot of that had to do with the defense. The success MIN had this game is definitely repeatable, even if we don't see Ant go off like this again.

plowking
05-04-2024, 09:56 PM
Well Denver has four big contracts in the starting lineup alone. You cant pay everybody..

Yeah but you need to find comparable guys who can contribute at the minimum. I feel they just let shit slip by.

There are plenty of guys who people think are trash, but they come in and work - and look good once you limit their role and what they need to do.

Proctor
05-04-2024, 09:57 PM
@ bison

You watching Coach Malone's presser, bro?

tontoz
05-04-2024, 09:58 PM
McDaniels didn't even score a point. He averaged 14 against the Suns.

Minny has the defenders to make things tough on Jokic and Murray. They are really the only team that does.

White Hammer
05-04-2024, 10:11 PM
Nuggets realizing the French Baguette is not as small as they thought:

https://64.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lpzad8ETDm1qe5a1ao1_400.gif

coin24
05-04-2024, 10:45 PM

:lol:lol

fourkicks44
05-04-2024, 10:49 PM

I got a feeling Xiao is gonna have the last laugh on all the fools here.

Xiao Yao You
05-04-2024, 11:20 PM
Dave McMenamin: Some heady praise from 11-year NBA veteran Rudy Gobert about the Wolves’ vibes right now: “I’ve never been part of a group that understands each other, that cares about each other and wants to see each other shine. In this league, it’s not something that you find very often.” pic.twitter.com/3RUgG4Ka67

Xiao Yao You
05-04-2024, 11:21 PM
StatMuse: Mike Conley today: 14 PTS 10 AST 5-8 3P +20 The 2nd oldest player remaining the playoffs. statmuse.com/nba/player/mik… – via Twitter statmuse
Mike Conley, Denver Nuggets,

Xiao Yao You
05-04-2024, 11:23 PM
Haralabos Voulgaris: Gobert doing such a good job stopping the short 5-4 lobs from Jokic to Gordon – via Twitter haralabob

dankok8
05-05-2024, 01:36 AM
Do you guys think Game 1 was just a blip or the Nuggets will lose the series?

bladefd
05-05-2024, 01:39 AM

Wolves would be fine if they had to bench Rudy. I would just stick in naz in his place

hold this L
05-05-2024, 02:26 AM

Xiao really proving us all wrong

https://media1.giphy.com/media/v1.Y2lkPTc5MGI3NjExOTVkc3Ayam92ZjNxcGt5YXh5aWxuOGd iYXJmM3J3Nmc2ODZnZTJqNyZlcD12MV9pbnRlcm5hbF9naWZfY nlfaWQmY3Q9Zw/fikgyEs1LjOCGzEWNX/giphy.gif

plowking
05-05-2024, 02:50 AM

I think they lose but its due to not being close talent wise. I know that sounds harsh, but the bench difference is huge.

Nowoco
05-05-2024, 05:07 AM
Anthony Edwards man. The way the ball sticks to him off the dribble. I've never seen anything quite like it. It's like the ball is on an elasticated string to his other hand and never deviates. His movement and first step. One of the most talented players I've ever seen and his ceiling is off the charts.

Axe
05-05-2024, 05:39 AM

What's very funny about it is that his team doesn't even contend in the playoffs anymore. :oldlol:

GimmeThat
05-05-2024, 05:55 AM
Dave McMenamin: Some heady praise from 11-year NBA veteran Rudy Gobert about the Wolves’ vibes right now: “I’ve never been part of a group that understands each other, that cares about each other and wants to see each other shine. In this league, it’s not something that you find very often.” pic.twitter.com/3RUgG4Ka67

and that's good. because when Gobert is no longer mad or upset, his trueself will finally show

bdonovan
05-05-2024, 06:01 AM
Incredible basketball.

This is why we watch the game. To see it played at a high level like this.

Xiao Yao You
05-05-2024, 06:37 AM
Wolves would be fine if they had to bench Rudy. I would just stick in naz in his place
Good luck! Theres a reason 1 guy is bench player and the other is headed for Springfield :roll:

Nb1
05-05-2024, 07:07 AM
I think they lose but its due to not being close talent wise. I know that sounds harsh, but the bench difference is huge.

They are really great and might still take the series and win a chip, but people oversestimate them alot because of the "result" of the games against the Lakers. But if you look at that trash Lakers roster and how last years and this years series went and how close they were, it's actually not that amazing. If the Lakers had 1 more at least average player next to Bron and AD or an actual coach they would have taken the series. The fact that it came down to almost 1 shot in every game and the lakers were leading 90% of the time and Bron is 39 and dead after 3 qrters and they still somehow only lost by a couple of points in most games says alot.

NBAGOAT
05-05-2024, 07:14 AM
Good luck! Theres a reason 1 guy is bench player and the other is headed for Springfield :roll:

OP obviously meant at the end of games in foul situations, something the wolves have actually done many times. They’ll put in naz or naw if they’re in bouncing the ball about to get fouled for example. Rudy is getting his props now and you’re still defensive lol

GimmeThat
05-05-2024, 07:28 AM

I get that you're trying to have some confidence and some ego, but you really are down playing the fortunate position that Gobert is in.

warriorfan
05-05-2024, 08:08 AM

you are also a handicapped ******

90sgoat
05-05-2024, 08:43 AM

Tough to say.

Edwards won them this game, it wasn't as if Nuggets wasn't able to hang.

Can Ant do it for 5-6 more games? If not, will Towns step up?

GimmeThat
05-05-2024, 08:43 AM
you are also a handicapped ******

and now 2 players being able to play together implies one of them must be handicapped.

GimmeThat
05-05-2024, 08:56 AM
Tough to say.

Edwards won them this game, it wasn't as if Nuggets wasn't able to hang.

Can Ant do it for 5-6 more games? If not, will Towns step up?

as long as Gobert doesn't get into foul troubles, there are no reason why the Wolves can't just run the Nuggets out of the building

Xiao Yao You
05-05-2024, 10:00 AM
Dane Moore: Rudy Gobert said he had a conversation with Naz Reid in the 3rd quarter: “In the 3rd quarter I came to him and said, ‘f*ck what’s happening, f*ck what happened if you miss a shot, if you get fouled or anything. Just free your mind and just be you and just embrace the moment,… – via Twitter DaneMooreNBA

Xiao Yao You
05-05-2024, 10:04 AM
I get that you're trying to have some confidence and some ego, but you really are down playing the fortunate position that Gobert is in.

Fortunate to not have to carry a bad team finally? When did i say differently?

Xiao Yao You
05-05-2024, 10:05 AM
as long as Gobert doesn't get into foul troubles, there are no reason why the Wolves can't just run the Nuggets out of the building
He doesnt get into foul trouble often. They certainly have bigger worries

GimmeThat
05-05-2024, 10:08 AM
Dane Moore: Rudy Gobert said he had a conversation with Naz Reid in the 3rd quarter: “In the 3rd quarter I came to him and said, ‘f*ck what’s happening, f*ck what happened if you miss a shot, if you get fouled or anything. Just free your mind and just be you and just embrace the moment,… – via Twitter DaneMooreNBA

puzzling to imagine who would coach him into saying that, and how he truly believes it and repeats it

GimmeThat
05-05-2024, 10:10 AM
Fortunate to not have to carry a bad team finally? When did i say differently?

considering only an illiterate could say someone could carry a good team, I have no idea how you can put carry and team together on this 3rd seeded Wolves.

GimmeThat
05-05-2024, 10:12 AM
He doesnt get into foul trouble often. They certainly have bigger worries

so he stays on the floor, yet there are bigger worries. wouldn't that be the definition of someone being unable to make an impact.

bdonovan
05-05-2024, 10:35 AM
This series is a clinic for those who want to understand what team defense looks like in the NBA.

Thinking Basketball had a segment on this for the Wolves:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvEpuhVta_4&t=608s

Both teams play exceptional defense that consists of two key areas:

1. Stay with your man
2. Help, intelligently

#1 sounds easy but very few teams besides the Celtics, Timberwolves and Nuggets do it consistently. Too often star players esp. use the defense to rest. They play "improvised zone" and hang out in the middle of nowhere, pretending to offer "help" defense but actually just breaking their team's defense.

#2 is illustrated by the video posted. Some teams like the Warriors over-help and this also breaks the defense. You don't always need to help and thereby leave your man open. Many teams under-help, just assuming it's none of their business.

The Timberwolves are brilliant to watch since their coach hasn't gotten near 100% buy in to lock in on defense. McDaniels, Gobert, Edwards, Conley, Reid have all bought in (and KAT maybe 75%).

You do not understand basketball if you don't understand what Gobert brings to this team. Seriously, you are a casual fan. You can't watch the game and not understand how his presence affects what the Nuggets can do inside. This is particularly the case because guys like McDaniels, Conley and Edwards slow the ball-handler down to a crawl. By the time the Nuggets ball-handler comes to the rim: he has slowed down and can't make the crafty move needed to get around Gobert.

We all rightly resent the crazy Frenchmen for giving us Covid years ago, but his ability to boost the Wolves far surpasses his role on Utah primarily because his Wolves teammates slow the prey down for him in a way Donovan Mitchell and crew never bothered to do.

Aaron Gordon is the beneficiary of much of the Nuggets motion offense, that often comes from Jokic. Gordon had under 10 points and Jokic had seven (7!) turnovers. Much of this comes from the chaos Minn. causes at the basket. Slowed down by Minn. front-court, once they get to the basket, they see Gobert and realize they can't get it over the rim protector. They have to kick the ball out and reset.

That McDaniels was useless on offense doesn't detract from his defensive contribution. Both him and Edwards are 100% committed on defense- they will run as much as they have to stay on their man, dart around screens, refuse attempted forced switches by the opposition, and never give up on the play.

Jokic was reduced to 44% shooting while KAT and ANT had 60% range shooting. Wolves are one of the best screening teams I've seen. You are going to run into one or more walls on the perimeter.

Anyone saying this is Murray's fault isn't playing with a full deck. Murray and Jokic both shot in the 40-45% with Murray having a higher true shooting %. Murray wasn't the one with 7 turnovers.

The Nuggets benefitted from home cooking the way all playoff home teams do. That they lost despite it does not bode well. The Wolves were up 10 points or so at the end; the Nuggets made it look closer in garbage time.

Nuggets needs adjustments. They may have to use the 3 point shot more often to force the spread out the Wolves' defense. Today Jokic only 2-9 from 3 pt range; but that is a good way to get the Wolves bigs out of the paint.

GimmeThat
05-05-2024, 10:44 AM
This is particularly the case because guys like McDaniels, Conley and Edwards slow the ball-handler down to a crawl. By the time the Nuggets ball-handler comes to the rim: he has slowed down and can't make the crafty move needed to get around Gobert.

you know this is the NBA, and players often still use hook shots or fadeaway when getting past a defender unless the defender is slow to recover and puts themselves in a foul prone position.

tontoz
05-05-2024, 10:57 AM
So far in his playoff career Ant is averaging 30 with a TS of 62%. During the season his pullup jumpers are mediocre but in the playoffs he makes them at a much better percentage. I wonder if it is just a case of having more time off during the playoffs so his legs aren't as tired.

Before the game I was at the gym listening to the Lowe Post podcast. Zach asked his guest if you had to pick one guy for a playoff series would you pick Ant or Tatum. Both guys said Ant. He has the elite first step to get separation.

tpols
05-05-2024, 11:02 AM
Felt like Reid was the deciding X factor in this game. What he did in that 2nd half was crazy. Not only did he string together like 10 buckets in a row when the game could've went either way, he defended Jokic way better than KAT.

red1
05-05-2024, 11:10 AM
huge win. nuggets will still win the series, great to see the wolves giving themselves a great shot.

StrongLurk
05-05-2024, 11:57 AM
Felt like Reid was the deciding X factor in this game. What he did in that 2nd half was crazy. Not only did he string together like 10 buckets in a row when the game could've went either way, he defended Jokic way better than KAT.

Guys like Naz Reid and Derrick White are all-stars disguised as role players. They are very good basketball players who simply have bought completely into their role/system instead of having too much ego and trying to be the number 1/2 option.

Naz Reid has been good for years and under the radar, but no longer.

NBAGOAT
05-05-2024, 12:28 PM
Guys like Naz Reid and Derrick White are all-stars disguised as role players. They are very good basketball players who simply have bought completely into their role/system instead of having too much ego and trying to be the number 1/2 option.

Naz is great but he and Derrick white don’t belong in the same convo. Naz is an elite bench guy or good 5th starter. White is the 2nd best player on some playoff teams in the East and can definitely be a 3rd guy on a title team

Xiao Yao You
05-05-2024, 01:04 PM
This series is a clinic for those who want to understand what team defense looks like in the NBA.

Thinking Basketball had a segment on this for the Wolves:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvEpuhVta_4&t=608s

Both teams play exceptional defense that consists of two key areas:

1. Stay with your man
2. Help, intelligently

#1 sounds easy but very few teams besides the Celtics, Timberwolves and Nuggets do it consistently. Too often star players esp. use the defense to rest. They play "improvised zone" and hang out in the middle of nowhere, pretending to offer "help" defense but actually just breaking their team's defense.

#2 is illustrated by the video posted. Some teams like the Warriors over-help and this also breaks the defense. You don't always need to help and thereby leave your man open. Many teams under-help, just assuming it's none of their business.

The Timberwolves are brilliant to watch since their coach hasn't gotten near 100% buy in to lock in on defense. McDaniels, Gobert, Edwards, Conley, Reid have all bought in (and KAT maybe 75%).

You do not understand basketball if you don't understand what Gobert brings to this team. Seriously, you are a casual fan. You can't watch the game and not understand how his presence affects what the Nuggets can do inside. This is particularly the case because guys like McDaniels, Conley and Edwards slow the ball-handler down to a crawl. By the time the Nuggets ball-handler comes to the rim: he has slowed down and can't make the crafty move needed to get around Gobert.

We all rightly resent the crazy Frenchmen for giving us Covid years ago, but his ability to boost the Wolves far surpasses his role on Utah primarily because his Wolves teammates slow the prey down for him in a way Donovan Mitchell and crew never bothered to do.

Aaron Gordon is the beneficiary of much of the Nuggets motion offense, that often comes from Jokic. Gordon had under 10 points and Jokic had seven (7!) turnovers. Much of this comes from the chaos Minn. causes at the basket. Slowed down by Minn. front-court, once they get to the basket, they see Gobert and realize they can't get it over the rim protector. They have to kick the ball out and reset.

That McDaniels was useless on offense doesn't detract from his defensive contribution. Both him and Edwards are 100% committed on defense- they will run as much as they have to stay on their man, dart around screens, refuse attempted forced switches by the opposition, and never give up on the play.

Jokic was reduced to 44% shooting while KAT and ANT had 60% range shooting. Wolves are one of the best screening teams I've seen. You are going to run into one or more walls on the perimeter.

Anyone saying this is Murray's fault isn't playing with a full deck. Murray and Jokic both shot in the 40-45% with Murray having a higher true shooting %. Murray wasn't the one with 7 turnovers.

The Nuggets benefitted from home cooking the way all playoff home teams do. That they lost despite it does not bode well. The Wolves were up 10 points or so at the end; the Nuggets made it look closer in garbage time.

Nuggets needs adjustments. They may have to use the 3 point shot more often to force the spread out the Wolves' defense. Today Jokic only 2-9 from 3 pt range; but that is a good way to get the Wolves bigs out of the paint.
Id say Gobert boosted the jazz a lot more than the Wolves. The offense was built around his screens, rim running and offensive rebounding. Difference with the wolves is they dont expect him to guard the other team by himself or grab all the rebounds with 4 guards and wings around him

Xiao Yao You
05-05-2024, 01:08 PM

Reid isnt an all star. He cant do it every night. Perfect 3rd big behind two of the best in the league

Proctor
05-05-2024, 01:24 PM

Great post and totally on point. Absolutely elite, winning roleplayers.

90sgoat
05-05-2024, 02:33 PM
So far in his playoff career Ant is averaging 30 with a TS of 62%. During the season his pullup jumpers are mediocre but in the playoffs he makes them at a much better percentage. I wonder if it is just a case of having more time off during the playoffs so his legs aren't as tired.

Before the game I was at the gym listening to the Lowe Post podcast. Zach asked his guest if you had to pick one guy for a playoff series would you pick Ant or Tatum. Both guys said Ant. He has the elite first step to get separation.

Ant is a boxer, his scoring makes his defender look bad. Tatum is a matador, he delivers the deathly strike after his team has weakened the defense. Ant will make the defense scramble, break down strategy, Tatum will sink the dagger or bring you back with a flurry, but he won't weaken the defense by himself.

ArbitraryWater
05-05-2024, 08:37 PM

Powell is the same.

OG maybe too.

FultzNationRISE
05-05-2024, 08:43 PM
Id say Gobert boosted the jazz a lot more than the Wolves. The offense was built around his screens, rim running and offensive rebounding. Difference with the wolves is they dont expect him to guard the other team by himself or grab all the rebounds with 4 guards and wings around him

SATAN
05-05-2024, 09:14 PM
Powell is the same.

OG maybe too.

They are not All-Stars caliber players.

ShawkFactory
05-05-2024, 09:18 PM
Ant is a boxer, his scoring makes his defender look bad. Tatum is a matador, he delivers the deathly strike after his team has weakened the defense. Ant will make the defense scramble, break down strategy, Tatum will sink the dagger or bring you back with a flurry, but he won't weaken the defense by himself.

Pretty on point honestly.

Tatums length on D and his rebounding ability provide extra value that Ant can’t quite replicate but offensively Ant is superior.

RRR3
05-05-2024, 09:19 PM

Tatums length on D and his rebounding ability provide extra value that Ant can’t quite replicate but offensively Ant is superior.
Ant is superior on offense based off a 5 game sample size? Because Tatum has been better besides that.

tontoz
05-05-2024, 09:32 PM
Ant is superior on offense based off a 5 game sample size? Because Tatum has been better besides that.

Actually Ant has played in 16 playoff games. While that is still a small sample of you watched him you can see the difference.

His career playoff average is 30 ppg with a TS of 62%, and he's only 22.

Ant is an elite athlete. Tatum isn't. It is much easier for Ant to get to the rim and to get separation for his jumper.

RRR3
05-05-2024, 09:33 PM
Actually Ant has played in 16 playoff games. While that is still a small sample of you watched him you can see the difference.

Ant is an elite athlete. Tatum isn't. It is much easier for Ant to get to the rim and to get separation for his jumper.
I can find a 17 game playoff span that makes Donovan Mitchell look like MJ. And a 15 playoff game span that does the same for Devin Booker. This is going to look very silly if Ant ends up having an inefficient series.

tontoz
05-05-2024, 09:34 PM
I can find a 17 game playoff span that makes Donovan Mitchell look like MJ. And a 15 playoff game span that does the same for Devin Booker.

You can't do it before they turned 23.

RRR3
05-05-2024, 09:39 PM
You can't do it before they turned 23.
You don't get extra points from being younger when comparing how good you are :facepalm

Derrick Rose was deserving of MVP based on this "logic".

tontoz
05-05-2024, 09:47 PM
You don't get extra points from being younger when comparing how good you are :facepalm

Derrick Rose was deserving of MVP based on this "logic".

No he wasn't, because he simply wasn't that good.

I don't have to cherry pick Ant's playoff numbers. They are over 3 seasons and include bad games. He was 3-12 in game 2

RRR3
05-05-2024, 09:48 PM
No he wasn't, because he simply wasn't that good.

I don't have to cherry pick Ant's playoff numbers. They are over 3 seasons and include bad games. He was 3-12 in game 2
Yeah and if I was commenting in 2021, Donovan Mitchell would have looked like a GOAT level playoff performer but apparently that doesn't count cuz he was 24. Stop making silly points, Tatum put up 26/10/5 on 56 TS% in the playoffs at age 21 in 17 games. If you honestly think Edwards is going to keep up a 66 TS% when he's never been efficient just lol

tontoz
05-05-2024, 09:52 PM
Yeah and if I was commenting in 2021, Donovan Mitchell would have looked like a GOAT level playoff performer but apparently that doesn't count cuz he was 24. Stop making silly points, Tatum put up 26/10/5 on 56 TS% in the playoffs at age 21 in 17 games. If you honestly think Edwards is going to keep up a 66 TS% when he's never been efficient just lol

The problem with bringing up Mitchell is that there are two sides of the court. You don't have to hide Ant on D. He will guard the other teams top perimeter scorer willingly.

RRR3
05-05-2024, 09:58 PM
The problem with bringing up Mitchell is that there are two sides of the court. You don't have to hide Ant on D. He will guard the other teams top perimeter scorer willingly.
That's kind of irrelevant considering my point was that people could have (and many did tbh) vastly overrated Mitchell based on what he had done in the last two playoffs back in 2021 similar to what you and Shawk are doing to Ant right now. You're also comparing him to Tatum who's an excellent defender himself and can guard more positions.

Edwards has literally NEVER been at even league average efficiency in his 4 seasons. He's not a particularly great scorer despite what a few games might have lead you to believe.

tontoz
05-05-2024, 10:07 PM
That's kind of irrelevant considering my point was that people could have (and many did tbh) vastly overrated Mitchell based on what he had done in the last two playoffs back in 2021 similar to what you and Shawk are doing to Ant right now. You're also comparing him to Tatum who's an excellent defender himself and can guard more positions.

Edwards has literally NEVER been at even league average efficiency in his 4 seasons. He's not a particularly great scorer despite what a few games might have lead you to believe.

I am not looking at one year. His playoff games have been over 3 years.

His TS this year of 57.5% is fine for a guard at 22. Mitchell didn't top that until he was 26.

RRR3
05-05-2024, 10:29 PM
I am not looking at one year. His playoff games have been over 3 years.

His TS this year of 57.5% is fine for a guard at 22. Mitchell didn't top that until he was 26.
His previous playoff runs were 6 and 5 games :oldlol: So according to you Edwards just chooses to be a brick artist in the regular season and only starts trying in the playoffs? :facepalm

90sgoat
05-05-2024, 10:30 PM

Ant brings the game, Tatum reacts to the game.

Both can work, but Ant in the last game relentlessly brought the game, which forced Denver out of their comfort zone.

tontoz
05-05-2024, 10:35 PM
His previous playoff runs were 6 and 5 games :oldlol: So according to you Edwards just chooses to be a brick artist in the regular season and only starts trying in the playoffs? :facepalm

I gave my theory on the previous page.

That is just a guess. Ant doesn't miss many games in the regular season and puts out effort on D, so maybe fatigue is affecting his jumper.

RRR3
05-05-2024, 11:01 PM
I gave my theory on the previous page.

That is just a guess. Ant doesn't miss many games in the regular season and puts out effort on D, so maybe fatigue is affecting his jumper.
Almost everyone ever sees a decline in efficiency in the playoffs. Even MJ and LeBron. Edwards isn't special, it's just a small sample size.

ShawkFactory
05-05-2024, 11:22 PM
I can find a 17 game playoff span that makes Donovan Mitchell look like MJ. And a 15 playoff game span that does the same for Devin Booker. This is going to look very silly if Ant ends up having an inefficient series.

Nah, you can’t. Maybe purely scoring numbers but watching the games there’s a feel with ANT that’s different. He’s very young and still developing but has a skill and attacking mindset that Tatum and Mitchell don’t have.

Not to say he’s definitively better than Tatum at this point. But the way he’s played and more importantly his ability to galvanize the team as a whole is something a little different. Unless he completely flames out I’m pretty comfortable putting him up amongst the top guys.

RRR3
05-05-2024, 11:42 PM
Nah, you can’t. Maybe purely scoring numbers but watching the games there’s a feel with ANT that’s different. He’s very young and still developing but has a skill and attacking mindset that Tatum and Mitchell don’t have.

Not to say he’s definitively better than Tatum at this point. But the way he’s played and more importantly his ability to galvanize the team as a whole is something a little different. Unless he completely flames out I’m pretty comfortable putting him up amongst the top guys.
Uh...yes I can. in the 20 and 21 playoffs, Mitchell averaged 33.9 PPG on 64.0 TS% over 17 games. "Feel" is based on how you emotionally see the situation, stats are facts.

ShawkFactory
05-05-2024, 11:48 PM
Uh...yes I can. in the 20 and 21 playoffs, Mitchell averaged 33.9 PPG on 64.0 TS% over 17 games. "Feel" is based on how you emotionally see the situation, stats are facts.

Stats are numbers. They don’t show what happens over the course of a basketball game. Was Mitchell doing that while locking down on D and spraying energy out of his dick to the whole team?

It “feels” different because it is. Mitchell can get hot and make a ton of shots one night but on the next night he’ll miss a ton of shots and offer nothing else.

hold this L
05-05-2024, 11:54 PM
I really like Ant but we need to wait out this PS at the very least before we start putting some of the statements around him. Last PS, his series went to shit as he was playing some of the most braindead low BBIQ plays at the end of some very tight games as they headed home. He seems to have great leadership for a young guy that brings people together for a common goal though.

Also, I have difficulty seeing Denver just roll over after game 1.

RRR3
05-05-2024, 11:57 PM
Stats are numbers. They don’t show what happens over the course of a basketball game. Was Mitchell doing that while locking down on D and spraying energy out of his dick to the whole team?

It “feels” different because it is. Mitchell can get hot and make a ton of shots one night but on the next night he’ll miss a ton of shots and offer nothing else.
What does this even mean? It's ESPN-level analysis that can't be quantified.

ShawkFactory
05-06-2024, 12:13 AM
What does this even mean? It's ESPN-level analysis that can't be quantified.

So you’re of the opinion that an individuals impact on a basketball game and a team can’t go beyond whatever the box score shows?

RRR3
05-06-2024, 12:23 AM
So you’re of the opinion that an individuals impact on a basketball game and a team can’t go beyond whatever the box score shows?
Pretty much everything is tracked now, we have impact stats galore. "Beyond the box score" type players like say OG Anunoby do well in these stats. Any claim based on just watching is going to be opinion based.

fsvr54
05-06-2024, 03:47 AM
Eye test will always be way ahead of cornballs and their analytics. No surprise commies like analytics

j3lademaster
05-06-2024, 04:36 AM
Eye test will always be way ahead of cornballs and their analytics. No surprise commies like analyticslol yeah, that’s why all of the “we were raised in the game” gm’s and coaches do so well: MJ, Magic, Isiah, Doc etc. Guys like Morey and Presti who probably can’t ball for shit at a local lifetime fitness let alone the nba have an infinitely better understanding of the modern nba than top 10 all time players, ignoring metrics in this day and age is beyond retarded.

GimmeThat
05-06-2024, 05:18 AM
lol yeah, that’s why all of the “we were raised in the game” gm’s and coaches do so well: MJ, Magic, Isiah, Doc etc.

yet, if tomorrow morning when people wake up, and they have the mindset that my career earning has come from the infinite possibility of the universe, water polo, gardening, golf, being a pilot, even though having never done any of it.

you'll continuously arrive at the conclusion "it is what it is."

tontoz
05-06-2024, 08:09 AM
Almost everyone ever sees a decline in efficiency in the playoffs. Even MJ and LeBron. Edwards isn't special, it's just a small sample size.

Murray averages more points and higher efficiency during the playoffs. He also relies heavily on jumpers.

When Jokic showed out during the bubble playoffs that was when i was like wow this guy is better than i thought. That was a preview of what was to come.

NBAGOAT
05-06-2024, 08:20 AM
Murray averages more points and higher efficiency during the playoffs. He also relies heavily on jumpers.

When Jokic showed out during the bubble playoffs that was when i was like wow this guy is better than i thought. That was a preview of what was to come.

It’s not looking good with this run. Injuries being a big reason but one reason guys decline in playoffs is injuries from wear and tear

Overdrive
05-06-2024, 09:33 AM

What you fail to realize is that the moment the team fails, but the stats stay the same that eye tested impact goes poof. That's why it's absolutely useless and stupid.

If you digitalize two games one by Ant one by Mitchell where they both go off, but the games are graphically encrypted so you can't make out who's who I doubt you'd even get who's which player. That's what being led by emotions is meant by RRR. You like Ant so you project intagible stuff onto him so you can make an point that's irrefutible.

I'm not saying Ant is worse than Mitchell or that their impact long term is the same. Mitchell is definately less efficient overall and has less two way impact, I'm just saying that "eye test" is a lazy argument usually done by fanboys.

tpols
05-06-2024, 10:15 AM

Aren't you a Heat fan bro? :facepalm

Jimmy Butler has raised his game a ton in the playoffs compared to the regular season with Miami.

You're gonna be eating big crow saying edwards ain't special.

GimmeThat
05-06-2024, 10:33 AM
I'm not saying Ant is worse than Mitchell or that their impact long term is the same. Mitchell is definately less efficient overall and has less two way impact, I'm just saying that "eye test" is a lazy argument usually done by fanboys.

I wonder if you measured it, if there's a slightly larger separation between Ant and his defenders than Mitchell.

Xiao Yao You
05-06-2024, 02:37 PM
Rudy Gobert is questionable or Game 2 of the Minnesota Timberwolves' second round series against the Denver Nuggets for personal reasons.

tontoz
05-06-2024, 03:06 PM
Rudy Gobert is questionable or Game 2 of the Minnesota Timberwolves' second round series against the Denver Nuggets for personal reasons.

:wtf:

Xiao Yao You
05-06-2024, 03:59 PM
:wtf:
Next generation of Gobert expected

BarberSchool
05-06-2024, 04:30 PM

Was Rudy expecting a child to be born ?

Or something else perhaps a death in the family ?

Xiao Yao You
05-06-2024, 04:42 PM
Was Rudy expecting a child to be born ?

Or something else perhaps a death in the family ?

Baby

Xiao Yao You
05-06-2024, 04:43 PM
Dane Moore: Asking around a bit about Rudy Gobert, and there seems to be optimism that Gobert will be able to get back by game time tonight. The later tip helps (8pm MT). – via Twitter DaneMooreNBA

Xiao Yao You
05-06-2024, 04:44 PM
Dane Moore: Mike Conley on potentially playing without Rudy Gobert tonight: “It definitely changes things. He’s a big focal point of what we do, especially defensively. Also, offensively as well. But we’re a deep team and we got a lot of guys ready to step in and play for us if that’s the case, and just try to get a win by any means.” – via Twitter DaneMooreNBA

Xiao Yao You
05-06-2024, 04:45 PM
Dane Moore: And Conley on how they will have to guard Nikola Jokic if there is no Gobert: “By committee. We got to throw a lot of bodies at him. We got to show him a lot of different looks. Can’t just give him one read. He’s so smart, has the ability to pick you apart if you show him the same thing multiple times. It’ll be a lot of junk. A lot of different things we have to implement. Something we’ve done throughout the year on different teams. We’ll have to implement that tonight.” – via Twitter DaneMooreNBA

Proctor
05-06-2024, 05:15 PM
Next generation of Gobert expected
Hopefully can top an almighty 65% FT percentage! :roll:

Xiao Yao You
05-06-2024, 05:16 PM
Hopefully can top an almighty 65% FT percentage! :roll:

Only 1 Greg Monroe