PDA

View Full Version : True or False: Kobe Bryant was NEVER the best player in the NBA?

TAZORAC
05-01-2024, 06:21 PM
There have been a few players in the NBA who everybody pretty much would be in agreeance that he was the best player in the NBA. Shaq for years was the most dominate player in the NBA, Michael Jordan before him, Lebron James up until a few years ago, now it's pretty much a toss-up. Some people think its Giannis, some think its Tatum, some thinks its Jokic, some say Embid, while others think Luka.

Kobe Bryant's career lasted from 1996-2016. For those of us old enough to remember, throughout his career was he EVER CLEARLY the best player in the NBA? I would say NO. He was CLEARLY top 7, you can say top 3 some years, but he was never head and shoulders the best player in the NBA.

The first year Kobe went to the allstar he was coming off the bench on his own team. Those years the Lakers won the championship; Shaq was the most important player on the team and most dominate in the NBA. The championship years with Shaq, the argument could be made that Kobe could have been replaced with Iverson, Mcgrady, Carter, Pierce, Allen and the Lakers still would have won the championship. Another argument could be made during those years (2000-2004) that Duncan was a better player than Kobe.

The other championships later in Kobes career (2008-2011) Lebron was clearly the best player in the NBA and the argument could be made that Nowitski, Wade, Durant were better or equal player.

Bottom line is Kobe Bryant was NEVER the unanimous best player in the NBA, true or false?

ShawkFactory
05-01-2024, 06:32 PM
False.

BlackMamba8
05-01-2024, 06:37 PM
Hey diva....hes better than LeBRONZE James.....so while your at it...go flip me a burger

Nowoco
05-01-2024, 06:40 PM
True. The only possible window is between 2006-2010 and whilst some people would say he was for some of that period, there are just as many arguments to say he wasn't.

It's subjective obviously but at no point was Kobe the consensus best player in the world and as far as I'm concerned, if there's reasonable doubt then you're not.

tpols
05-01-2024, 06:48 PM
I mean... if your mother likes to blow dudes in the park and gets enjoyment out of it who are WE to tell her that her hobby is wrong?

We don't have that right. So to answer your question? Fried chicken. Jollibees style.

And I'll leave it at that.

j3lademaster
05-01-2024, 06:50 PM
I think he was 2006-08. Can be argued though.

dankok8
05-01-2024, 06:51 PM
He was definitely the best in 2008. I'd have a hard time coming up with anyone else that year. From 2006-2010, he arguably was as well but you can very reasonably argue Wade in 2006, Duncan in 2007 and Lebron/Wade in 2009 and 2010.

BlackMamba8
05-01-2024, 07:13 PM
There have been a few players in the NBA who everybody pretty much would be in agreeance that he was the best player in the NBA. Shaq for years was the most dominate player in the NBA, Michael Jordan before him, Lebron James up until a few years ago, now it's pretty much a toss-up. Some people think its Giannis, some think its Tatum, some thinks its Jokic, some say Embid, while others think Luka.

Kobe Bryant's career lasted from 1996-2016. For those of us old enough to remember, throughout his career was he EVER CLEARLY the best player in the NBA? I would say NO. He was CLEARLY top 7, you can say top 3 some years, but he was never head and shoulders the best player in the NBA.

The first year Kobe went to the allstar he was coming off the bench on his own team. Those years the Lakers won the championship; Shaq was the most important player on the team and most dominate in the NBA. The championship years with Shaq, the argument could be made that Kobe could have been replaced with Iverson, Mcgrady, Carter, Pierce, Allen and the Lakers still would have won the championship. Another argument could be made during those years (2000-2004) that Duncan was a better player than Kobe.

The other championships later in Kobes career (2008-2011) Lebron was clearly the best player in the NBA and the argument could be made that Nowitski, Wade, Durant were better or equal player.

Bottom line is Kobe Bryant was NEVER the unanimous best player in the NBA, true or false?

Its obvious you are trying to do damage control over your bitch ass queen, but GET OVER IT, hes a bitch and barely top 10 all time. You ******s believe the false media narratives they give you, but real basketball fans and players have kobe above queen james. ANY BRON FAN HAS NO INTEGRITY IN LIFE.

CurryOverLebron
05-01-2024, 08:43 PM
He was easily best player between 2008 to 2010.

He won a regular season MVP, 2 championships, and went to 3 consecutive Finals. Plus everyone deferred to him in 2008 Olympics team.

ArbitraryWater
05-01-2024, 08:54 PM
He was probably the best in 2008.

Naero
05-01-2024, 09:47 PM
He definitely had a case circa 2006-08. It was just never unanimous, but the title was rarely was apart from late-'80s/early-'90s Jordan, early-2000s Shaq, early-2010s LeBron, and maybe Jokic now.

The closest it ever was to a clear-cut consensus was the '08 playoffs (at least before the Finals), when Kobe steamrolled through the Western Conference. He just didn't play well enough on the biggest stage to make it undisputed, but he was most people's pick for BITW until LeBron had a postseason run for the ages the following year. He had a strong case in '06 (and maybe '07), but you can only get so much traction if you lose in the first round.

The answer to OP's question really depends on whether or not it's about unanimity. The verdict is no if so, but you're asking for ultra-exclusive company in that case. It's not a knock on Kobe as much of a testament to his peers; after all, almost everyone with a stronger case during his heyday (LeBron, Shaq, Duncan, and so forth) had top-ten peaks all time.

Axe
05-01-2024, 09:48 PM
He didn't win a season mvp and finals mvp at a young age which would have boosted his case. Unlike iverson and wade bt.

I guess that's what he got for playing with a stacked team before since entering the league.

John8204
05-02-2024, 12:33 AM
True...Kobe was the best player in the league but you could always make arguments for Shaq, Duncan, Iverson, Kidd, KG, and Dirk. But undisputed greats are few and far between it's Mikan, Wilt, KAJ, Jordan, and Lebron

fsvr54
05-02-2024, 01:27 AM
06-10, but you could argue someone like Duncan or even Wade

Manny98
05-02-2024, 02:35 AM
He was the best in 08 and 10

ImKobe
05-02-2024, 06:31 AM
false.

06-10 he was, 2001 is arguable too.

StrongLurk
05-02-2024, 08:53 AM
Easily false.

Kobe was best 05-06 through 07-08. It took Lebron to hit his true prime in 08-09 for Kobe to be knocked off.

Jasper
05-02-2024, 10:15 AM
when he won the chip with Pau.

that is all.

Never for get the arrogance he had when playing D-Wade .. and Wade blocked him from behind.
precious.

ShawkFactory
05-02-2024, 02:04 PM
false.

Yea it's kind of vague. The OP states never the best player in the league but then expands that to be the inarguable best player in the league. As others have mentioned, very rarely is it inarguable.

Even still, I don't think that anyone else had much of a case in the 2007-2008 range.

Champ
05-03-2024, 05:03 PM
He was definitely the best in 2008. I'd have a hard time coming up with anyone else that year. From 2006-2010, he arguably was as well but you can very reasonably argue Wade in 2006, Duncan in 2007 and Lebron/Wade in 2009 and 2010.

I think you could argue KG in 2008. Maybe even Chris Paul.

Not taking anything away from Kobe's greatness.

Good post, OP. Interesting premise.

TAZORAC
05-03-2024, 05:06 PM

He won a regular season MVP, 2 championships, and went to 3 consecutive Finals. Plus everyone deferred to him in 2008 Olympics team.

false.

Easily false.

Kobe was best 05-06 through 07-08. It took Lebron to hit his true prime in 08-09 for Kobe to be knocked off.

Yea it's kind of vague. The OP states never the best player in the league but then expands that to be the inarguable best player in the league. As others have mentioned, very rarely is it inarguable.

Even still, I don't think that anyone else had much of a case in the 2007-2008 range.

when he won the chip with Pau.

that is all.

Never for get the arrogance he had when playing D-Wade .. and Wade blocked him from behind.
precious.

False.

Hey diva....hes better than LeBRONZE James.....so while your at it...go flip me a burger

True. The only possible window is between 2006-2010 and whilst some people would say he was for some of that period, there are just as many arguments to say he wasn't.

It's subjective obviously but at no point was Kobe the consensus best player in the world and as far as I'm concerned, if there's reasonable doubt then you're not.

I mean... if your mother likes to blow dudes in the park and gets enjoyment out of it who are WE to tell her that her hobby is wrong?

We don't have that right. So to answer your question? Fried chicken. Jollibees style.

And I'll leave it at that.

I think he was 2006-08. Can be argued though.

Its obvious you are trying to do damage control over your bitch ass queen, but GET OVER IT, hes a bitch and barely top 10 all time. You ******s believe the false media narratives they give you, but real basketball fans and players have kobe above queen james. ANY BRON FAN HAS NO INTEGRITY IN LIFE.

He was probably the best in 2008.

He definitely had a case circa 2006-08. It was just never unanimous, but the title was rarely was apart from late-'80s/early-'90s Jordan, early-2000s Shaq, early-2010s LeBron, and maybe Jokic now.

The closest it ever was to a clear-cut consensus was the '08 playoffs (at least before the Finals), when Kobe steamrolled through the Western Conference. He just didn't play well enough on the biggest stage to make it undisputed, but he was most people's pick for BITW until LeBron had a postseason run for the ages the following year. He had a strong case in '06 (and maybe '07), but you can only get so much traction if you lose in the first round.

The answer to OP's question really depends on whether or not it's about unanimity. The verdict is no if so, but you're asking for ultra-exclusive company in that case. It's not a knock on Kobe as much of a testament to his peers; after all, almost everyone with a stronger case during his heyday (LeBron, Shaq, Duncan, and so forth) had top-ten peaks all time.

He didn't win a season mvp and finals mvp at a young age which would have boosted his case. Unlike iverson and wade bt.

I guess that's what he got for playing with a stacked team before since entering the league.

True...Kobe was the best player in the league but you could always make arguments for Shaq, Duncan, Iverson, Kidd, KG, and Dirk. But undisputed greats are few and far between it's Mikan, Wilt, KAJ, Jordan, and Lebron

As time goes on people forget things sometimes. Andrew Bynum at 1 point was the 2nd best center in the NBA behind Dwight Howard, Pau was a top 10 player himself.

2006 was Shaq's last year as the most dominate player in the NBA. 2008 Lebron who took the Cavaliers to 7 games against the Celtics was clearly the best player in the NBA

999Guy
05-03-2024, 11:31 PM

How about the guy that beat him, and locked him down holding him to his worst playoff series in the 3 years before and after that series.

999Guy
05-03-2024, 11:33 PM
I think you could argue KG in 2008. Maybe even Chris Paul.

Not taking anything away from Kobe's greatness.

Good post, OP. Interesting premise.

Chris Paul was better than Kobe all of 2008 and in the playoffs. Paul was better than Kobe against the Spurs. Had a worse team around him and led them to a much higher ORTG. He didn't have Lamar Odom absolutely shit on frontlines with his defense and locked Duncan and the Spurs down.

Kobe basically had a big doofy Draymond in Odom in that whole 08 to 11 stretch. Odom not being asked to be de-facto center like pre-Gasol just allowed him to dominate.

Kobe was never ever, ever the best NBA player. Chris Paul has an entire career of being a better defender and team player than him, and in 08 he was better athlete on top of it. Legitimately and literally how could Kobe have possibly been better than Chris Paul alone from 2008-2011. Less athletic, less skilled, less intelligent. The Lakers were fun. The era was fun. Phil Jackson and his weird wise aura was fun. It's over. Kobe is dead, Phil went to NY, did and said weird shit then then ****ed off. Everybody on their title teams are old men now. Can we not pretend this guy was better than LeBron? I really want answers on how the hell older Kobe is topping young prime Chris Paul in basketball impact.

Let alone LeBron, let alone Garnett. I could even draw the line at Nash from the mid-00's stretch. Ignoring Duncan and Garnett from 05-07. Just Nash. When was Kobe ever shifting games more than he did back then? And when we go further we get the absolute peaks of just more talented players in Shaq, Duncan and Garnett, simultaneously.

I would put my life on the line in saying Kobe was closer to Ray Allen than Shaq or Duncan in the early 00's. It's all just pitiful to pretend. No caveats. Kobe was never that guy. He was regular superstar wing on the level of a Durant, Harden, Luka or Kawhi. And worse than any of those guys at times. Better other times. Never ever a separate tier.

plowking
05-03-2024, 11:40 PM
I think 1 or 2 seasons is the correct answer.

Cold soul
05-04-2024, 08:18 AM
You can make a case Kobe was best player in the league years 06-10. I think Kobe had 3 year run as leagues best player from 2006-2008. Kobe and Tim Duncan were two best players of 2000’s era.

TAZORAC
05-04-2024, 04:14 PM
You can make a case Kobe was best player in the league years 06-10. I think Kobe had 3 year run as leagues best player from 2006-2008. Kobe and Tim Duncan were two best players of 2000’s era.

So if you replaced Kobe or anybody else on the 2008 Cavaliers instead of Lebron, the Cavs take the Celtics down to the wire 7 games? and 66-16 during regular season? :oldlol:

21 J.J. Hickson C
11 Zydrunas Ilgauskas C
00 Darnell Jackson PF
24 Trey Johnson SG
8 Tarence Kinsey SG
3 Sasha Pavlović SF
32 Joe Smith C
17 Anderson Varejão
4 Ben Wallace PF
13 Delonte West SG
31 Jawad Williams SF
2 Mo Williams PG
55 Lorenzen Wright

John8204
05-04-2024, 05:53 PM
I think 1 or 2 seasons is the correct answer.

Right that's fair...I would argue that that's not enough for what the OP is arguing.

HoopsNY
05-04-2024, 06:23 PM
So if you replaced Kobe or anybody else on the 2008 Cavaliers instead of Lebron, the Cavs take the Celtics down to the wire 7 games? and 66-16 during regular season? :oldlol:

21 J.J. Hickson C
11 Zydrunas Ilgauskas C
00 Darnell Jackson PF
24 Trey Johnson SG
8 Tarence Kinsey SG
3 Sasha Pavlović SF
32 Joe Smith C
17 Anderson Varejão
4 Ben Wallace PF
13 Delonte West SG
31 Jawad Williams SF
2 Mo Williams PG
55 Lorenzen Wright

Who knows? Boston beat LA in 6 games. Atlanta took that same Celtics team to 7 games.

ELITEpower23
05-05-2024, 09:26 AM
"Kobe Bryant was NEVER the best player in the NBA"

3ball is going to majorly sh1t his pants :lol

ELITEpower23
05-05-2024, 09:28 AM

2009 Bron poops on anything Kobe did

Kobe MIGHT and I do mean MIGHT have been best in 2007 but probably not even then

Indian guy
05-05-2024, 11:38 AM
06-08 is definitely Kobe

WhiteKyrie
05-07-2024, 01:00 PM
Kobe seminal moment timeline

Voted as an all star in 1998 but wasn’t really deserving of it yet

2000 - All Star but Sidekick
2001 - Top 5
2003 - Arguable Best
2006 - 2008: The Best Player
2009 and 2010: 2nd Best